SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts

... By Digital Foundry. Here's a comparision chart with current gen PS4 model (base)

PlayStation 5PlayStation 4
CPU8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)8x Jaguar Cores at 1.6GHz
GPU10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)1.84 TFLOPs, 18 CUs at 800MHz
GPU ArchitectureCustom RDNA 2Custom GCN
Memory/Interface16GB GDDR6/256-bit8GB GDDR5/256-bit
Memory Bandwidth448GB/s176GB/s
Internal StorageCustom 825GB SSD500GB HDD
IO Throughput5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)Approx 50-100MB/s (dependent on data location on HDD)
Expandable StorageNVMe SSD SlotReplaceable internal HDD
External StorageUSB HDD SupportUSB HDD Support
Optical Drive4K UHD Blu-ray DriveBlu-ray Drive

• Where Ms is focusing on holding the same frequencies no matter what, Sony will be having their PS5's manage their own frequencies based on max TPD. This means that throttling could be an issue if devs try to push the hardware too far. However, since all PS5's will react the same, games can be easily optimized to prevent this from happening.
  • Sony's logic is that it's better to have less GPU cures run at higher clocks than have more cores run at lower clocks. Not sure how that may be true, although the point that managing and ordering info about to less cores is easier does seem to make some sense.
  • SSD speeds seem to be higher still than those of MS's next gen console. Theoretically the whole RAM can be filled in 2 seconds, effectively erradicating loading times.
  • the casing doesn't seem to have been shown yet. No word on if it looks better horizontally or vertically placed.
TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

Eewwwww Microsoft really one upped them

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

With how well Nintendo's low spec consoles perform, maybe Sony is trying to edge out of the hardware war a bit. I mean, both MS and Sony get trounced by the PC on this front so it was always kind of a PR campaign from console makers to make them seem like they were powerhouses, so why not just focus on games rather than counterfeit claims to hardware supremacy? Hopefully there is a lower price tag that goes with it, though I won't hold my breath.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

Thanks for sharing the chart. The PS5 still is an impressive upgrade despite not matching the XSX' higher specs.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Plays PS4 games. Can rest a little easier.

Make it less noisy and actually make the framerate 60FPS standard (instead as a minority struggle) and I'll be very happy.

A bonus would be cease these subscriptions for playing online, but I don't expect that to happen.