PS4 passes U.K Wii U Lifetime sales in two days.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Update: Figured I didnt need to make a new thread for this.

In what is shaping up to be a historic year for gamers, I’m delighted to share an important new milestone with you. PS4’s North American debut on November 15th was PlayStation’s largest ever, with more than one million gamers picking up a PS4 in just 24 hours. Now, with PS4’s global launch expanding to a total of 32 countries worldwide, including Europe and Latin America, I’m proud to announce that more than 2.1 million PS4s have been sold.

It’s an impressive and record-setting accomplishment for our company and for our industry, and we couldn’t have done it without you. I want to personally thank PlayStation fans, both old and new, for your vote of confidence. The best part: the PS4 journey has just begun. In addition to an incredible lineup of PS4 games from the best developers in the world, we will continue to introduce valuable new features and services to PS4 in the months and years ahead.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727222

PS4 broke PSP’s record of 185k sales with over 250k sales in U.K in 48 hours. The X1 had sold 150k last week.

It really puts into perspective what a disaster the Wii U has been. Wasn’t there someone here who said the next gen consoles will suffer the same fate as the Wii U? I really wish the search feature on this board was better.

Hilarious that Knack sold more than Mario. After shipping many rehashes that outsold great games, Nintendo finally gets a taste of its own medicine. There is a god after all.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-playstation-4-uk-launch-sales-are-over-250k

The numbers are in and Sony has been crowned king of the next-gen launches - PlayStation 4 sold a whopping 250,000 units in the UK over the weekend.

That's around 100,000 more than Xbox One sold over its launch a week ago, MCV reports.

The numbers are even bleaker for Nintendo - its year of Wii U sales have now been trounced in a weekend by both next-gen machines. More people bought a PS4 and a copy of Knack over the weekend than bought a Wii U at any point over the past year and new release Super Mario 3D World.

Credit Eurogamer
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Initial numbers for Mario 3D World are definitely not encouraging, and from what I'm reading, it failed to move Wii U systems as well. Mario was supposed to mark a turn around for the Wii U the same way he did for the 3DS, but it isn't happening, and that has to be deeply disturbing to the people in Kyoto. Will be interesting to see how it fares in the US when November NPD arrives.

While I'm aware that Nintendo games have "long legs" and the game will likely sell at a steady clip, if it can't also grow the base it's selling too, it is not doing it's job. This was being billed as the "real Wii U launch", and it simply is not working. Which is mystifying because all indications are it's a fantastic game, as well as finally being a decent showcase title for the Wii U.

No one looking for a game system to buy this holiday season is even giving the Wii U a cursory glance at this point, it seems to have a stigma on it that just will not go away.

This really is Gamecube all over again. But it doesn't get Gamecube bad until they have to halt production of the hardware.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

It outsold Knack 2-1 in the US. And in the UK it's only been out for a few days, give it a couple of weeks, mario games have legs it'll still be selling a month or two from now.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Randolph

@barrybarryk said:

It outsold Knack 2-1 in the US. And in the UK it's only been out for a few days, give it a couple of weeks, mario games have legs it'll still be selling a month or two from now.

But it seems like it will be selling to the same small base the Wii U already had before it came out. Even with their "long legs" that small install base is pretty limiting. Nintendo has to find a way to move systems, and so far, it seems like Mario isn't getting the job done.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 barrybarryk

Again, its only been out for like 3 days here in the UK

Nintendo don't need to sell Playstation or Xbox numbers, they aren't competing with them (and haven't tried to for a decade). Though to be fair I just picked up my Wii U on Friday. They could do with shifting more units, who couldn't, but comparing Wii U sales to Xbox One or PS4 sales is entirely missing the point.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Randolph

@barrybarryk said:

Again, its only been out for like 3 days here in the UK

Nintendo don't need to sell Playstation or Xbox numbers, they aren't competing with them (and haven't tried to for a decade). Though to be fair I just picked up my Wii U on Friday. They could do with shifting more units, who couldn't, but comparing Wii U sales to Xbox One or PS4 sales is entirely missing the point.

I have never understood how Nintendo is not competing with Sony and MS. They all make game consoles. When a consumer is looking at home consoles right now they see several options. Among the next gen choices the Wii U is cheaper, and has high quality first party games finally appearing on it from Nintendo. People who could be buying it are instead buying more expensive systems with a more mixed bag of quality in their games.

They all three target people who play video games, and that means whether Nintendo likes it or not, and no matter how much pseudo intellectual fluff they throw out about "blue oceans" and blah blah whatever, they are, in fact, in direct competition with MS and Sony.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By barrybarryk
@Randolph said:

I have never understood how Nintendo is not competing with Sony and MS. They all make game consoles. When a consumer is looking at home consoles right now they see several options. Among the next gen choices the Wii U is cheaper, and has high quality first party games finally appearing on it from Nintendo. People who could be buying it are instead buying more expensive systems with a more mixed bag of quality in their games.

They all three target people who play video games, and that means whether Nintendo likes it or not, and no matter how much pseudo intellectual fluff they throw out about "blue oceans" and blah blah whatever, they are, in fact, in direct competition with MS and Sony.

It's easy to think that, but I don't know any gamers old enough to buy their own consoles that didn't buy a Wii and either an Xbox 360 or PS3 last gen. The Wii U is the same story, it's a supplemental console. You don't buy it instead of a PS4 or XB1, you buy it as well. I bought mine knowing full well it's never going to have good 3rd party support and I already have plans to buy a PS4 as well, as soon as the games start appearing for it.

Nintendo consoles are for Nintendo games, and pretty much anyone with any real interest in video games will be paying that Nintendo tax sooner or later.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Randolph

@barrybarryk: Any "real" interest in video games? We aren't doing the no true scotsman fallacy, are we? :)

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 barrybarryk

No we're not. I mean the sort of people that buy their own consoles, visit video game websites, keep up with releases etc. Pretty much anyone that enjoys gaming on the whole, you know a "real interest" not just the people that buy one or two games a year. But feel free to just pick out words you don't like.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Anyone who thought Mario would turn around the Wii U was delusional. Monster Hunter and a sharp and fast price cut brought the 3DS's price down to the level of the popular DS, which allowed the 3DS to cannibalize the DS's core gamers (the casuals that enjoyed minigames and virtual pet games migrated to smartphones). By way of contrast, the Wii U's predecessor has been dead (in terms of games and sales) for three years.

Speaking of smartphones, intense completion from that segment has kept Nintendo focused on handhelds (which has traditionally been a safe harbor for Nintendo) at the expense of consoles. The struggles of the 3DS are why Nintendo killed support for the original Wii and they have never shifted focus back to the console sphere.

Nintendo narrowcasts its consoles in a way it doesn't do with its handhelds and since companies reap what they sow Nintendo's handhelds attract a broader spectrum of gamers than its consoles.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Randolph

@barrybarryk: I know plenty of people who fit in that mold who have not paid the nintendo tax, and likely won't be paying it any time soon. Does that make their interest in gaming any less real?

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 barrybarryk

@Randolph: I have no idea. But in six months - a years time when the Wii U has had a price drop and some more decent games under its belt and that few hundred quid people have spare, after already buying their "next gen" console of choice, is burning a hole in their pocket, a Wii U with a completely different set of games will probably seem a lot more appealing than the Xbox One or PS4 you didn't get with 4 or 5 exclusive titles and nearly double the price tag of a Wii U.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

PS4 broke PSP’s record of 185k sales with over 250k sales in U.K in 48 hours. The X1 had sold 150k last week.

It really puts into perspective what a disaster the Wii U has been. Wasn’t there someone here who said the next gen consoles will suffer the same fate as the Wii U? I really wish the search feature on this board was better.

Hilarious that Knack sold more than Mario. After shipping many rehashes that outsold great games, Nintendo finally gets a taste of its own medicine. There is a god after all.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-playstation-4-uk-launch-sales-are-over-250k

The numbers are in and Sony has been crowned king of the next-gen launches - PlayStation 4 sold a whopping 250,000 units in the UK over the weekend.

That's around 100,000 more than Xbox One sold over its launch a week ago, MCV reports.

The numbers are even bleaker for Nintendo - its year of Wii U sales have now been trounced in a weekend by both next-gen machines. More people bought a PS4 and a copy of Knack over the weekend than bought a Wii U at any point over the past year and new release Super Mario 3D World.

Credit Eurogamer

hehe ya it does

I only think the Nintendo fanboys won't see that the WiiU is on life support right now. Nintendo had so much time and so much opportunity to create a major stir but then they turn around and release a console without games.... bad all around.

As to the sony v Xbox its kinda a surprise when only 5 european countries got the X1.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The Wii U is not selling well, but if it can get a decent library, there will be a reason to spend two ninety-nine for it or less at that point.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk

@BranKetra said:

The Wii U is not selling well, but if it can get a decent library, there will be a reason to spend two ninety-nine for it or less at that point.

True, but when a lot of the big developers are choosing not to develop for the WiiU i dont see that happening anytime soon.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CarnageHeart

@barrybarryk said:

@Randolph: I have no idea. But in six months - a years time when the Wii U has had a price drop and some more decent games under its belt and that few hundred quid people have spare, after already buying their "next gen" console of choice, is burning a hole in their pocket, a Wii U with a completely different set of games will probably seem a lot more appealing than the Xbox One or PS4 you didn't get with 4 or 5 exclusive titles and nearly double the price tag of a Wii U.

$400 isn't double the price of $300. Math is hard, but not that hard.

The Wii U is just going to continue to slide deeper into irrelevance. Next year there will be more Zelda and Mario and they will excite and bore the same exact people this year's Zelda and Mario have.

Nintendo's mistake is that they think that offering a handful of franchises and over and over again can win them a wide audience. That has never worked. With the Wii they went against their longtime pattern and offered up a bunch of original (albeit casual) games and reversed generations of decline. With the Wii U they are following the Gamecube model of Mario, Mario, Mario, Zelda, Mario, Mario, Mario, Metroid and it will get them Gamecube results (if they are lucky).

Avatar image for jacquelineferre
jacquelineferre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jacquelineferre
Member since 2013 • 116 Posts

Nothing to brag about.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Randolph

@barrybarryk said:

@Randolph: I have no idea.

I do, the answer is a firm no. It does not make their passion for gaming any less real.

Kubidong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 Kubidong
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

who can tell me where to buy the PS4 before the Christmas come in UK!!!

HMV?AMAZON?

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Man, the "Console are teh D00m3d!" people are eating crow the size of Cleveland. It's almost embarrassing.

I will say that it's great to see the market responding so vigorously to the stifling it endured for the last three years of a too-long generation.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#21 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Good, good. One step closer to playing Zelda with my Dualshock 4.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By S0lidSnake

@Shame-usBlackley said:

Man, the "Console are teh D00m3d!" people are eating crow the size of Cleveland. It's almost embarrassing.

I will say that it's great to see the market responding so vigorously to the stifling it endured for the last three years of a too-long generation.

If it makes you feel any better, Sony exec recently said that this new gen will be shorter than the last.

"It's probably a sign of the times and how much has changed in seven years, but I think the willingness and the appetite to pick up new technology fast has probably changed quite a bit."

I think they were slow to adapt because the iPhone came out in 2006 and sold millions every fucking year. Both Sony and MS put short term gains over long term goals and damn near put the industry in recession. Good to see them realizing this huge mistake.

Nintendo might be the first one to come out with a console in 2016, but I wouldnt mind a Sony console in 2017. PC hardware is already moving at an insane rate. I dont want to be gaming on a 1.8Tflop GPU 5 years from now.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacanuk

@dvader654 said:

@S0lidSnake said:

UK should be ashamed to let Knack sell more than mario. And no this is not a taste of their own medicine, Nintendo games are usually better than everyone elses. Thier rehashes are great games. This is just a terrible game outselling a masterful one.

Hmm, when did Mario come out on Playstation?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CarnageHeart

@dvader654 said:

@S0lidSnake said:

UK should be ashamed to let Knack sell more than mario. And no this is not a taste of their own medicine, Nintendo games are usually better than everyone elses. Thier rehashes are great games. This is just a terrible game outselling a masterful one.

Endless rehashes of Mario and Zelda are heaven for Nintendo's aging, shrinking console fanbase (their handheld audience has much broader tastes) but don't thrill the rest of the world.

I agree that it sounds like Knack is selling better than it deserves to. As I said in the run up to its release, a lot of gamers are guys with families looking for a game they could play with their families. Knack and Just Dance are the only two launch games that fit that particular bill. I do wish Knack and the superior Puppeteer switched places saleswise, but on the upside, Knack's sales show the appetite for original, family friendly games. If people just bought whatever launch game was on the shelves because it was there then Zombi U wouldn't have been a commercial disaster.

As I've said many times before, Nintendo clings to Mario for nostalgic adults, not little kids. Kids just care about fun, not pedigree. I took my family to see Frozen yesterday and my daughters loved it. They didn't care that it wasn't the 99th movie in a series. Mickey Mouse starred in a lovely short just before Frozen started, but Disney knows that if one wants to reach kids, it must keep changing up its offerings.

Maybe one day Nintendo (who likes to compare itself to Disney) will figure that out. More likely they will just continue to lie to themselves and shareholders. Nintendo is still claiming it is going to sell 9 million Wii Us this fiscal year which would require it selling faster than every other system on the market from this point forward :0.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Wow, I knew the Wii U wasn't doing so great in terms of sales, but that is just pathetic considering how well the new consoles are doing.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Pretty sad to see a GOTY frontrunner being outsold by such mediocre garbage but what can you do

ZeusCannon087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 ZeusCannon087
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

If Nintendo was smart they should have built a powerful console on par with the PS4, or Xbox One. They can still sell all their franchises on their game console, and perhaps change their image a bit to appeal to the "hardcore" gamers. Let the handhelds be the more "kiddy" side of Nintendo.

Their marketing has to change and match Sony, and Microsoft. Repair it's relationship with third-party publishers, and build a respectable online network. I know the Wii sold a crap load of consoles, but a lot of people forgot about the Wii. More people are interested in online gaming with friends, and the services and games the console will provide.

I like Nintendo, I practically grew up on Nintendo but it's marketing and strategy needs to change with their home consoles, if they want to build a respectable user base and compete with Sony, and Nintendo. It's 2013, not 2006 the market is much different, and Nintendo has failed to adapt.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

It's still $100 overpriced. That's why it's not selling plain and simple.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jacanuk

@dvader654 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@dvader654 said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Hmm, when did Mario come out on Playstation?

Huh? I am saying under no circumstance should a game like Knack sell more than Mario, Knack should not sell well. But its a launch game so people buy anything.

Oh, i was just wondering who would buy these mario? since Ps4 sold more consoles than Wiiu have so far, and yes i know you and the critics dont like Knack but i have tried it and its not a bad game and its not like there is anything better at launch at is exclusive.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Randolph

@Jacanuk said:

Oh, i was just wondering who would buy these mario? since Ps4 sold more consoles than Wiiu have so far, and yes i know you and the critics dont like Knack but i have tried it and its not a bad game and its not like there is anything better at launch at is exclusive.

I think Knack was, like Ryse, made an example of by the media for the most part. Most members of the media, this site included, rated Crimson Dragon above Ryse, and let me tell you as an Xboner (haha!) that in absolutely no conceivable way is Crimson Dragon a better game than Ryse. Ryse is a fun showcase title. It's linear and repetitive, yes. But it's a very serviceable game.

Crimson Dragon, on the other hand is a hot mess, and an honest to Pesci contender for most disappointing game of the year. Only Fighter Within is a poorer game atm.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 S0lidSnake

@Randolph: Yup +1 for Ryse. It's by no means a terrible or a broken game. Just mediocre, but thats no crime.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Randolph

@S0lidSnake said:

@Randolph: Yup +1 for Ryse. It's by no means a terrible or a broken game. Just mediocre, but thats no crime.

Yep, it's just a stupid, simple, fun showcase game. No one will be playing it at all this time next year when the real next gen games arrive. Crimson Dragon on the other hand is a broken, stupid, boring game that no one is playing right now.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

@Jacanuk said:

I think Knack was, like Ryse, made an example of by the media for the most part. Most members of the media, this site included, rated Crimson Dragon above Ryse, and let me tell you as an Xboner (haha!) that in absolutely no conceivable way is Crimson Dragon a better game than Ryse. Ryse is a fun showcase title. It's linear and repetitive, yes. But it's a very serviceable game.

Crimson Dragon, on the other hand is a hot mess, and an honest to Pesci contender for most disappointing game of the year. Only Fighter Within is a poorer game atm.

lol Xboner :) nice term there

But i think you are right, i think the critic´s expectations was this is a new console so every game should be revolutionary new and improved. because its a exclusive and a launch title.

Because i will agree even tho i have mostly seen gameplay videos/streams of Ryse but have tried Knack and they are both not bad games, not as bad as you might have suspected from the scores/reviews both got

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Randolph

@Jacanuk said:

But i think you are right, i think the critic´s expectations was this is a new console so every game should be revolutionary new and improved. because its a exclusive and a launch title.

Because i will agree even tho i have mostly seen gameplay videos/streams of Ryse but have tried Knack and they are both not bad games, not as bad as you might have suspected from the scores/reviews both got

I try. :)

The Wii U had a game just like Ryse and Knack as well, and that would be Zombi U. It was absolutely lambasted, and from what I played of it, it was actually a really good game, even teased being great at times. It was a blend of Left 4 Dead and Dark Souls, and it was actually one of the better examples of how to take full advantage of the gamepad to enrich a game.

Hell, most Nintendo games could learn a thing or two from Zombi U.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

@Jacanuk said:

I try. :)

The Wii U had a game just like Ryse and Knack as well, and that would be Zombi U. It was absolutely lambasted, and from what I played of it, it was actually a really good game, even teased being great at times. It was a blend of Left 4 Dead and Dark Souls, and it was actually one of the better examples of how to take full advantage of the gamepad to enrich a game.

Hell, most Nintendo games could learn a thing or two from Zombi U.

lol and it was a nice try :D

But ya again i agree again :) ZombiiU was a blast and i had fun.

This also makes me wonder if i am just so easy to please or what is wrong with the critics sometimes , but then again they are critics and they always think they know better :)

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Randolph

@dvader654 said:

Zombi U was not just ok, it was great. I have no clue what happend with the reviews on that one.

Much like Ryse and Knack, a narrative was collectively decided upon very early on by the media, and they took it all the way to it's logical conclusion. Ryse and Knack are serviceable yet mediocre games, Zombi U is genuinely good to even great. Zombi U was my Halloween game this past year, and in that role, it was a great all Hallow's eve. Though I hope by this time next Halloween we have more scary games to pick from. If I could spend next October 31st evening playing Outlast on my PS4, that would be just awesome.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

@dvader654 said:

Zombi U was not just ok, it was great. I have no clue what happend with the reviews on that one.

Much like Ryse and Knack, a narrative was collectively decided upon very early on by the media, and they took it all the way to it's logical conclusion. Ryse and Knack are serviceable yet mediocre games, Zombi U is genuinely good to even great. Zombi U was my Halloween game this past year, and in that role, it was a great all Hallow's eve. Though I hope by this time next Halloween we have more scary games to pick from. If I could spend next October 31st evening playing Outlast on my PS4, that would be just awesome.

Just wait for Outlast and the rift :)

im sure next year the rift will be avaliable for retail at halloween so perhaps that would be a idea for a scary game session.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Randolph

I heard one of the Slender man games was arriving this next year as well. That's one big positive of the new consoles, we seem to be suddenly getting all those delicious horror games.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SirWander

what a beautiful update

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 S0lidSnake

Update: Figured I didnt need to make a new thread for this.

In what is shaping up to be a historic year for gamers, I’m delighted to share an important new milestone with you. PS4’s North American debut on November 15th was PlayStation’s largest ever, with more than one million gamers picking up a PS4 in just 24 hours. Now, with PS4’s global launch expanding to a total of 32 countries worldwide, including Europe and Latin America, I’m proud to announce that more than 2.1 million PS4s have been sold.

It’s an impressive and record-setting accomplishment for our company and for our industry, and we couldn’t have done it without you. I want to personally thank PlayStation fans, both old and new, for your vote of confidence. The best part: the PS4 journey has just begun. In addition to an incredible lineup of PS4 games from the best developers in the world, we will continue to introduce valuable new features and services to PS4 in the months and years ahead.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727222

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SirWander

I wasn't being sarcastic, that's really good news. It's just that there's already thread about those sales numbers before you made the update.

Slannmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48 Slannmage
Member since 2005 • 6986 Posts

I'm waiting for Jan sales before I get Mario.