ps2 rpgs with best combat systems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

50centsteelers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 50centsteelers
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts
What are some good ps2 rpg combat systems?
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
what rpg combat systems have you liked so far?
kryu88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 kryu88
Member since 2006 • 9301 Posts

FFX's battle system was one of the best turn bases systems on the PS2, imo.

Grandia 2/3's battle system was also fun.

The Shin Megami Tensei games have a great system set up, with the weakness of enemies needing to be exploited.

Uzunoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Uzunoff
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts
I've always enjoyed turn-based more than anything, but I loved the gambit system in Final Fantasy XII. I know a lot of people hated it(probably only because it was a change to the series), but for me it added flow to the slowness of the turned based system. You could turn them off and run true turned based or you could pre-program your characters so that you could breeze through easy enemies instead of just tapping X repeatidly to attack. And in most cased you could do both.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#5 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

Dragon Quest's Turn Based RPG was my favourite....if U didn't play it yet, U sould....

Avatar image for FuriousBroccoli
FuriousBroccoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FuriousBroccoli
Member since 2003 • 58 Posts

Grandia III is one of the best and most unique turn based combat systems to date.

FFXII is probably the best semi-real time combat systems due to the gambit system.

Persona III is interesting even though you only directly control one guy.

Rej72380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#7 Rej72380
Member since 2003 • 545 Posts

Dragon Quest VIII--100% Turn-based and a ton of fun.

Final Fantasy XII--The ADB system is completely revolutionary and should be used in more RPGs.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II--Real-time battle system that allows a group dynamic in multiplayer gameplay.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Nobody mentioned Valkyrie Profile 2 yet, so I will. Grandia 3 also has a great combat system.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts
i liked FFX combat system but my favourite goes to KH combat system.
dark_orb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 dark_orb
Member since 2004 • 1503 Posts
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time was fun once you got used to the battle system. As many people have already mentioned FF XII had an amazing battle system, too bad the game lacked story. Kingdom Hearts is fun if you like controlled button mashing, and somebody mentioned Valkyrie Profile 2 which also had an interesting system but not much of a story.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

in turn-based combat system, nothing can beat Shadow Hearts or Grandia 3, all others are same things except Final Fantasy XII and i agree that its amazing too.

i also like action rpgs, kingdom hearts, rogue galaxy, etc. but they dont differ much, maybe they should try gameplay more like brawler games so it may add difference.

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts
Shadow Hearts is the best, I think. It actually involves you and your timing skills in the battle.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#13 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
What in the flying hell???? Are you people insane??? How can people be saying turn based crap??? Action RPG's are funner than all the turn based game put together. Dawn of Mana, Rogue Galaxy, Phantasy Star Universe, Dark Cloud 2, Kingdom Hearts 1-2, .hack GU, star ocean. Out of those I would choose Dark Cloud 2.
dark_orb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 dark_orb
Member since 2004 • 1503 Posts

What in the flying hell???? Are you people insane??? How can people be saying turn based crap??? Action RPG's are funner than all the turn based game put together. Dawn of Mana, Rogue Galaxy, Phantasy Star Universe, Dark Cloud 2, Kingdom Hearts 1-2, .hack GU, star ocean. Out of those I would choose Dark Cloud 2._AbBaNdOn

I can't believe i'm actually responding to this . . . . .

Everybody likes different things for different reasons. A lot of us older folk grew up with turn based combat and have a soft spot for it. Others prefer something that feels more tactical rather then like button mashing. Some of us have lives, pets, lovers, or even kids that constantly interrupt us when we game. While it's still annoying not being able to play something without your infant son crying every half hour or so, it's easier to leave and return to a turn based battle system.

Finally turn based games are actually playable, or at least easier to play, by someone with a physical handicap. Imagine if you lost one of your hands, were that to actually happen I'd imagine you'd start to like turn based combat a little better.

Personally I like both, I don't need a real time combat system but if it's well done I certainly enjoy it.

boybrushdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 boybrushdred
Member since 2007 • 1892 Posts
ff12's gambit system is one of the greatest [if not the greatest] combat systems for an rpg.
3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

What in the flying hell???? Are you people insane??? How can people be saying turn based crap??? Action RPG's are funner than all the turn based game put together. Dawn of Mana, Rogue Galaxy, Phantasy Star Universe, Dark Cloud 2, Kingdom Hearts 1-2, .hack GU, star ocean. Out of those I would choose Dark Cloud 2._AbBaNdOn

For me, I prefer a laid back experience to a frenetic pace. I don't like action based battle systems for the most part (though RG was pretty good and Eternal Sonata is one of my favorites). Personally, I'd take Phantasy Stars 1-4 over Phantasy Star Universe, even if you paid me to take PSU. That goes for each of the others.

Nice job assuming everyone should be exactly like you though.

Avatar image for Joystick_n_hand
Joystick_n_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Joystick_n_hand
Member since 2007 • 460 Posts
I really dig Shadow Hearts: Covenant . The wheel of fate is so fun. Gotta love twitch gaming.
-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

ff12's gambit system is one of the greatest [if not the greatest] combat systems for an rpg.boybrushdred

agreed. i'm not a fan of having CPU controlled allies, usually they do moronic things... but with that Gambit system I could make them do exactly what I wanted them to do.

Having the option of percentages was brilliant. Heal when you need to heal, attack when you need to attack... use magic, but not so much that you have no MP.

Grandia 3 has my favourite combat system. It really keeps you involved in the combat. Too bad the ending of that game was so bad.

Skylarkell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Skylarkell
Member since 2007 • 2797 Posts

SMT: Persona 3 is good for weakness and expoliting them

KH and ToA for more action RPG

FFX and DQ for Turn based RPG

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#20 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
Shadow Hearts From The New World had a pretty interesting one.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#21 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
ff12's gambit system is one of the greatest [if not the greatest] combat systems for an rpg.boybrushdred
I have to disagree. The gambits took the gameplay out of the game. It just turned in to walking from place to place and watching the fights.
PreLuDe_DuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PreLuDe_DuDe
Member since 2004 • 513 Posts
Why do you think everything you like is suppose to be superior than everyone else? And why do you bash turn base rpgs such as Persona 3 and then later on create a thread about how its one of the funnest rpgs you have played? Why do you flip flop on what you say? The foundation RPGS lies in the SNES system where turn base battles were revolutionizing the RPG genre. Most of us older folks come from that era and appreciate it. Maybe you should know and respect our roots?
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

[QUOTE="boybrushdred"]ff12's gambit system is one of the greatest [if not the greatest] combat systems for an rpg.BuryMe
I have to disagree. The gambits took the gameplay out of the game. It just turned in to walking from place to place and watching the fights.

Then, uh, don't use them. They'recompletely optional.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"][QUOTE="boybrushdred"]ff12's gambit system is one of the greatest [if not the greatest] combat systems for an rpg.TaCoDuDe

Then, uh, don't use them. They'recompletely optional.

lol that was what i wanted to say. FF12's system is genius because, its totally optional and it gives complete control to player.

PlayBox39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PlayBox39
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts

I agree. I like action RPG's so turn based stuff doesn't do it for me.

But Not everyone should have to like what you like.

Shait4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shait4n
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Tales of the Abyss, nothing else came close for me. The FoF circles were crazy fun.
coconutkokal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 coconutkokal
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts
kingdom hearts!!!