PS2 Hardware Problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PainGivingLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PainGivingLink
Member since 2006 • 1316 Posts

My PS2 finally quit on me, and I don't have a warranty. I tried opening it up and I have cleaned the lens with a q-tip and alcohol. I read that it might be a height adjustment problem and I have fiddled with the white gear (in order to change the height) and it collapsed down. Now when I try moving the gear it seems like its going nowhere.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can fix my PS2? It won't read discs and makes this clunky error noise (coming from the inside of my PS2).

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
jjooee93.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

you could try to get another ps2 or clean the laser under the one you see which is 4 times as large

hukibeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 hukibeast
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts

My PS2 finally quit on me, and I don't have a warranty. I tried opening it up and I have cleaned the lens with a q-tip and alcohol. I read that it might be a height adjustment problem and I have fiddled with the white gear (in order to change the height) and it collapsed down. Now when I try moving the gear it seems like its going nowhere.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can fix my PS2? It won't read discs and makes this clunky error noise (coming from the inside of my PS2).

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
jjooee93.

PainGivingLink

I know this probably isn't the best advice. But if you really want to hold on to it... you might have to buy a $30 or so repair on ebay. Sorry I couldn't help more than that

wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts
Did you mark where the original setting was before you started turning the gear? Just turn it back. If you didn't you'll have to try and eye it. When you turn the gear it should raise the laser, up to a certain point where the laser will drop back down to the lowest setting.
Maledizione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Maledizione
Member since 2008 • 896 Posts

Based one experience and what I've heard: When a PS2 craps out on you, it's the end.