Project Spark Beta hit Xbone yesterday

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Project Spark is a game which allows players to create games and post them online for others to play. Its an evolution of Kodu (a game design tool which never found mass market success but which was popular in schools) and looks to be both powerful and flexible. If MS adjusts the business model a bit (more on that later) and promotes this well I think it could be a big hit.

Don't know how well it works, but its interesting that the Kinect can read your actions and facial expressions and apply those to your characters.

As with the PC version, one needs a code to participate. If you don't have a code, you can go to the link below and get one.

https://joinprojectspark.com/

The final game will run across four platforms (Xbone, X360, PCs and tablets).

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/4/5469472/microsoft-project-spark-beta-xbox-one-download

Like the Windows 8.1 version, Project Spark for Xbox One allows gamers to create different characters, worlds, and missions. The Xbox One version of Project Spark adds the ability for gamers to capture animations, audio, and custom moves using Kinect, but any Project Spark games can be shared with others, and edited further. Project Spark automatically converts controls from mouse and keyboard to the Xbox One controller, and vice versa. The platform is fairly flexible, allowing gamers to create third-person shooters, 2D platforms, tower-defense games, and action games similar to Zelda or Fable. Each element in a game is fully customizable, with a "brain" interface that controls movement of actions of objects.

Anyway, here's a trailer showing off some of the stuff that the PC community has created. Very impressive looking. I have my qualms about the pay to play business model (you get just 30 minutes of free time a day, additional time must be earned or bought) but that can be changed, what is important is that the underlying product looks interesting.

If one is really excited about Project Spark, below is a hour and a half video of yesterday's launch.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44152 Posts

I didn't get in on the beta myself but I have watched some videos and there's been some pretty impressive creations made. Hopefully this will be handled well by Microsoft. I would love to try my hand at creating some stuff myself or just mess around with other user's creations.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CarnageHeart

@Archangel3371 said:

I didn't get in on the beta myself but I have watched some videos and there's been some pretty impressive creations made. Hopefully this will be handled well by Microsoft. I would love to try my hand at creating some stuff myself or just mess around with other user's creations.

I skimmed through the launch stream (second video in the link) and at one point the designers stated that they were now not only going to ship out codes to everyone that asked for one (on a weekly basis) but they are going to give people that ask for beta access extra codes to give away to anyone who is interested.

In short, your odds of getting in are now excellent.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

I was excited for this game but the micro transactions really bummed me. I tried the first beta and it was cool but the controller support for the PC was spotty. I guess things are much more refined now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44152 Posts

@CarnageHeart said:

@Archangel3371 said:

I skimmed through the launch stream (second video in the link) and at one point the designers stated that they were now not only going to ship out codes to everyone that asked for one (on a weekly basis) but they are going to give people that ask for beta access extra codes to give away to anyone who is interested.

In short, your odds of getting in are now excellent.

Oh cool, thanks for the heads-up. I'll go and try to get a code then.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CarnageHeart

@Pedro said:

I was excited for this game but the micro transactions really bummed me. I tried the first beta and it was cool but the controller support for the PC was spotty. I guess things are much more refined now.

If consumers make enough of a fuss, maybe MS will change the business model before the product ships. Wouldn't be the first time :).