Profit from rare games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I'm just curious to see if anyone here is into finding and selling rare games for profit.

There have been a few instances where I found a dirt cheap semi-rare game and sold it on ebay for a pretty good chunk of change.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I sold Shining the Holy Ark for the Saturn for about £34 , which didn't make me too much money, but since I didn't really like the game, it was decent.

one game I could probably sell for a decent profit is Conker's Bad Fur Day, since it only cost me £1.50 (or was it 2.50), when even an unboxed cartridge can go for over £40 online.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

I've been considering selling my fab copy of Startrek Armada 2 (w/ manual), as it sells for over $100. Was my PC game that actually belonged to me (i.e. my father didn't play it as well), so I've some nostalgic attachment to it.

laurensnaudts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 laurensnaudts
Member since 2003 • 398 Posts

I bought Bombsweeper Game and Watch for 10 euros in mint condition (unboxed). Seen it go on Ebay for around 260 euros.

morphies_emu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 morphies_emu
Member since 2006 • 260 Posts

I bought FFXIII for AU$8 from Cash Converters (for those of you that dont know, this is a franchised second hand store, where all the crims go to sell the stuff theyve just stolen from the house down the road) then traded it in at Gametraders (franchised second hand game store) for AU$35.

ner38073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ner38073
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts
Good question, this is what I do, find rare old games and sell them. Sometimes I get small profits and others, I make some good money but not that much. Still good though.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Samslayer

Cool, I know that I have a few games where I could make +$70 net profit.

Avatar image for Videogamefan123
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Videogamefan123
Member since 2007 • 941 Posts

I'm one of those people who never sells anything in their collection anymore so no. Though I have been thinking about selling my Kick the Cheat, anyone know how much those are worth now?

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
I have several games that are fairly rare but also not worth all that money either lol.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I sold my PS1, Saturn, 3DO, N64, and LYNX collections (tired of moving them every time I moved) There were many games that brought in quite a a bit -Lunar 1/2 and the Ark the Lad box sets (PS1), Dragon Forse (Saturn), etc -Suikoden 2 + guide sold for like $110
pestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 pestro
Member since 2010 • 139 Posts

I rarely ever sell any games anymore but lately I've been thinking about selling my duplicate copy of Chrono Trigger, just the cartridge. The other copy that I have of the game is boxed with instructions and all of the maps but there's no way in hell that I'm selling that one :P I got my duplicate copy dirt cheap in a lot on ebay. I don't think the seller knew too much about the game since the auction only said "snes lot".

I know that there are a lot of sellers who overprice semi-raregames on ebay(usually the games are more sought after though than they are actually rare). I personally think that there's too much work involved in the process compared to the actual money that you can gain, unless it's a considerably rare game of course.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

I personally think that there's too much work involved in the process compared to the actual money that you can gain, unless it's a considerably rare game of course.

pestro
I made 4 figures...was worth it at the time (in college)
kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts
if i found a rare game i would keep it.. unless if it were worth more than $500.. then i would try to make a profit..
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#15 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i probably have many rare/semi rare games and dont even know it so no

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I bought a PSX used and got a copy of FFVII, original release in the system. I contacted the seller and he was just like, "Don't worry about it, it's yours." Truthfully, I'm not a big fan of JRPGs, and when this came out I never bought into the hype back in the day. So I didn't really want it. I sold it to the local game shop for $50 in store credit, and they sold it for $85.

That's really the only experience I've had.

Tosh-iki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tosh-iki
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I have been considering it since I bought a mint condition Shadow of the Colosuss game for only $4 and could try and get more copies for that price, but I am a rather lazy person and would take too much time for myself. When I find a rare game I normally will buy it and keep it.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

I bought a PSX used and got a copy of FFVII, original release in the system. I contacted the seller and he was just like, "Don't worry about it, it's yours." Truthfully, I'm not a big fan of JRPGs, and when this came out I never bought into the hype back in the day. So I didn't really want it. I sold it to the local game shop for $50 in store credit, and they sold it for $85.

That's really the only experience I've had.

its amazing how much FF7/8/9 still sell for , I mean , its understandable when a game is expensive because it has a limited print run and is rare, but the FF games are far from rare, in fact , they were some of the best selling games on PS1 (FF7's near 10 million copies sold figure is nothing to laugh at)
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Samslayer

Yeah, it's nice I have all three canon FFs with a black label for PSX and it still amazes me how much they can sell for.

I guess if you look at the SNES for instance, a game like Chrono Trigger (before the remakes) was worth a pretty penny, even though the game was not really rare.

With the prices of these far from rare games, we have to look directly at the demand. With the supply of the games fairly high, the demand is what is driving the prices.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#20 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
I've been thinking about it, because I usually find my rare games for pittance. But once I found one, I stop looking for it, so I decided it isn't worth my trouble to ship and all that jazz.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

I did make some money on one game but not on purpose or with intention. I usually don't sell games anyway.

I bought panzer dragoon saga for 100$ and sold it later for 160$ but regretted it and bought it back again fomr someone else for 70$ I've always been very lucky finding right stuff on ebay for good price although I;m not afraid to pay a hefty price either as to me these games mean a lot.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
There are easier and quicker ways to make money. Plus, these days it's very easy to get scammed as a SELLER on ebay. Ship your game out, wait a week, and watch the buyer claim they got an empty box. Instant refund + shipping charges :)
Troll-King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Troll-King
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
If you have an old NES-2 (Toploading one) laying around, sell it, you can get over 50$ (CAD) for it
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

There are easier and quicker ways to make money. Plus, these days it's very easy to get scammed as a SELLER on ebay. Ship your game out, wait a week, and watch the buyer claim they got an empty box. Instant refund + shipping charges :)istuffedsunny

You know, this sort of thing happened to me as a buyer. I received an empty box when I was supposed to get Darius Gaiden for Sega Saturn.. When I reported it the seller he said pretty much the same thing you said to me regarding it and claimed I was scamming him. Of course he went on a long angry rant about it rather then simply saying it like you did. I got my refund, but I got it from EBay themselve and not the seller, 2 months later. I suggested that the mailman might be at fault But when I suggested that he had the "yeah right" attitude. The post office doesn't help any either. They basically tell you that you should have bought insurance and if you didn't than it's your fault. Jerks.

SelVis52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SelVis52
Member since 2010 • 91 Posts

I found an Atari 2600 W/ 4 controllers, original "atari game center" box, 3 catalogues from back in '82, about 40 games, 2 paddles and one joystick for only 10.00. The guy was selling it "As is", but I figured if the console itself didn't work it'd be worth it for the games. But, sure enough it still works. I have no intention of selling this, but if I was to sell it I could probably make a little bit off it (more than I paid for it, that's for sure!).

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

My dad rented a mini-van to help me move all my crap to college my freshman year and I found a brand new copy of Tetris DS under the seat after putting them down into the floor. I made $20!! :D

Avatar image for shaun_ofda_dead
shaun_ofda_dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shaun_ofda_dead
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

theres a local store that buys/sells/trades games from all systems where i live, and to be honest i have made some extra cash buying from them and reselling elsewhere. found a copy of guilty gear 2 for ps2 that was 5 bucks, and sold it for 30 a few months later. all in all though, i would rather keep a rare find that i found for cheap, thats how i got M.U.S.H.A. and i wouldnt sell that game for anything. in the end thoughif i can help out a fellow collector and make a few bucks myself,then we both win! by the way, i have a copy of persona1 and 2laying around, so if your interested....:P

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]There are easier and quicker ways to make money. Plus, these days it's very easy to get scammed as a SELLER on ebay. Ship your game out, wait a week, and watch the buyer claim they got an empty box. Instant refund + shipping charges :)Emerald_Warrior

You know, this sort of thing happened to me as a buyer. I received an empty box when I was supposed to get Darius Gaiden for Sega Saturn.. When I reported it the seller he said pretty much the same thing you said to me regarding it and claimed I was scamming him. Of course he went on a long angry rant about it rather then simply saying it like you did. I got my refund, but I got it from EBay themselve and not the seller, 2 months later. I suggested that the mailman might be at fault But when I suggested that he had the "yeah right" attitude. The post office doesn't help any either. They basically tell you that you should have bought insurance and if you didn't than it's your fault. Jerks.

Hmm are you sure the refund didn't come from the seller by proxy? Anyway I'm sure this kind of thing happens for real, but I noticed that once eBay changed their buyer protection policy there was an increase in refund requests from me, even though I kept selling games in the same (mint) condition and the same (proper) packaging. After the third time it happened I stopped using ebay By the way USPS insurance is a scam. Even if you get it you need a way to prove your item's value (receipt), there's a long waiting period, and if you manage to get something it'll be a fraction of what you deserve.
204259106jk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 204259106jk
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts

I bought FFXIII for AU$8 from Cash Converters (for those of you that dont know, this is a franchised second hand store, where all the crims go to sell the stuff theyve just stolen from the house down the road) then traded it in at Gametraders (franchised second hand game store) for AU$35.

morphies_emu

i just might consider checking out what games are available there...

skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 skrillalover
Member since 2003 • 1348 Posts

when i bought my house i sold all of my video game collection and i made a pretty good profit on most of it. big profit items were my complete chrono trigger in box with poster and instruction manual, original non-greatest hits symphony of the night and new in box non greatest hits xenogears. there were probably others too but i cant remember any right now.