Possible remedies to VR motion sickness?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

I don't have a VR setup just yet, but I'm thinking weed might help against motion sickness. Anyone have any home or folk remedies?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

It makes it worse TBH. I don't get motion sickness at all except once. The time was when I was stoned playing wipeout. It feels to weird. If you think it feels weird at first sober its 100x worse high. Ginger or flat lemonade help apparently, as well as a fan on your face.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The VR motion sickness is caused by your brain getting confused when you are making movements in the VR world but not also physically making those same movements with your body in the real world, so the solution to that is good room-scale tracking so that your real life body movements can get accurately translated into the game and therefore your brain doesn't get confused.

The HTC Vive has by far the best room-scale tracking so that is what I would recommend to anybody that wants to avoid VR motion sickness. If you get one of the cheaper VR headsets that don't have room-scale capabilities then you run a much greater risk of having to deal with VR motion sickness.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff94
spacemanspiff94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 spacemanspiff94
Member since 2018 • 24 Posts

Just work your way into it. Don't go into your first play sessions trying to knock out 2-3 hours. Try out some of the demo games that just get you a little more acclimated and only play 30-45 minutes a day. It's just something you have to get used to. Also try to figure out what movement type you prefer in a game. I have a PSVR and have zero issues with point and teleport mechanics or any type of driving/flying vehicles. But after an hour or two I'll start feeling a little queasy moving with a joystick (even though using the Aim controller in Farpoint is my favorite way to play so far). Also there are some great games that don't rely on movement from a controller. Superhot VR is fantastic and you just stand in place the whole time. And when I played through the demo for Astrobot I didn't have any issues.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

I easily suffer from motion sickness even from games not in VR so if the technology ever gets remedies I would welcoming giving VR another chance. Till then it's a health risk not worth my time.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Not that I smoke weed *glances around for mods*, but if I did smoke weed, I would say that it actually makes it worse in some cases.

That's not 100% true, actually; you need to find some indica/CBD-heavy stuff that is going to relax you. Sativa will exaggerate and enhance any effects you might feel, so your nausea might get worse.

Allegedly. As I said I have no experience at all with this. Here is a great article about cancer patients, nausea, and how cannabis (CBD, specifically) can reduce it. Written by a rocket scientist! It's an awesome new world for cannabis.

@DEVILinIRON said:

I don't have a VR setup just yet, but I'm thinking weed might help against motion sickness. Anyone have any home or folk remedies?

Do you have a history of motion sickness? Do you get sick on windy roads as a passenger? Can you read a book while riding in a car? Do "shaky-cam" movies make you nauseous?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

If you are prone to motion sickness, it is advisable to avoid VR. It's not like you are missing much past the initial novelty anyway.

Zeggelaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zeggelaar
Member since 2017 • 181 Posts

I suffer from horrible motion sickness in real life and flat ginger ale works pretty well

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

side note:

I have both the Oculus Rift and the Oculus Go. Without question Oculus Go is more likely to cause motion sickness which I have experienced more in Oculus Go then in Oculus Rift. Reason for this is because Oculus Go is only 3 degrees of freedom instead of 6.

That said the solution is to stay still for a second, close your eyes and for the love of god just calm your shit down.