Please answer a few questions about the following SNES and N64 games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

Donkey Kong Country

Donkey Kong Country 2

Super Mario RPG

Secret of Mana

Earthbound

Banjo-Kazooie

Banjo-Tooie

1. Which of these games would still be fun to play today (especially for someone who has never played it before)?

2. Which of these games would you consider to be the best ever, and not just the best for their respective console?

I hope your opinons are as objective as possible. Please no fan boys/girls or haters. Thank you.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

The only game on this list I can speak on is "Donkey Kong Country" because it's the only one I played. I purchased it when it first came out and I have to say it's a mindblowing experience because honestly I know that the Super Nintendo (my favorite video game system) is capable of doing wonders nothing prepared me for the graphics in this game! the musicis great(Aquatic Ambienceis beautiful)the gameplay is also pretty solid too. I would definitely pick this game up and play it today if I had it in front of me.

Aquatic Ambience

http://youtu.be/LDvKwSVuUGA

I wouldn't overlook "Super Mario RPG" or "Earthbound" (two games I wish I would have bought, but didn't have the money for at the time). Earthbound has quite a following and rightfully so because it looks like a great RPG. As for Super Mario RPG it's a marriage between Squaresoft and Nintendo that went quite well based on what I know about it. I wish I could be more of a help.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts
Erhem: Despite what fans would say playing any Donkey Kong country game (The original versions) will be quite boring honestly. Super Mario Rpg will appeal to you if you like wacky Rpgs. same with Earthbound. But if you want an rpg with a nice learning curve or has personality and character development stay away from those two. Banjo-Kazooie can be a fun game. But you'll have to be bored for at least a couple hours until you get their. Banjo-Tooie has the same problem as banjo-Kazooie, but you don't have to wait as long. Secret of mana has bores and funs. As in at one moment you will be into the game, and next it will slow down on you and you will start to get bore rather easily. It's all over that game. So to answer your first question, I would pick ny of the banjo games unless you like wacky and slow rpgs. Or Rpgs that are slow and boring constantly. Your second question is basically trying to lure fanboys here. Which may be why people are/were avoiding this thread as of this writing. I consider none of them the best ever, even on their consoles.
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Koi-Neon-X

Erhem: Despite what fans would say playing any Donkey Kong country game (The original versions) will be quite boring honestly. Super Mario Rpg will appeal to you if you like wacky Rpgs. same with Earthbound. But if you want an rpg with a nice learning curve or has personality and character development stay away from those two. Banjo-Kazooie can be a fun game. But you'll have to be bored for at least a couple hours until you get their. Banjo-Tooie has the same problem as banjo-Kazooie, but you don't have to wait as long. Secret of mana has bores and funs. As in at one moment you will be into the game, and next it will slow down on you and you will start to get bore rather easily. It's all over that game. So to answer your first question, I would pick ny of the banjo games unless you like wacky and slow rpgs. Or Rpgs that are slow and boring constantly. Your second question is basically trying to lure fanboys here. Which may be why people are/were avoiding this thread as of this writing. I consider none of them the best ever, even on their consoles.Captainqwark10

It's okay to have an opinion and it's okay to talk about video games that you like. I think as long as we keep in mind that at times we'll agree and times we'll disagree we should be okay lol.The new version of Donkey Kong Country on the Nintendo Wii looks pretty fun as well.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I think all of the above games would still be fun to play. Maybe not the Mario RPG because it doesn't possess the same kind of great storytelling and characters that make many rpgs timeless.

jakandsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jakandsig
Member since 2010 • 471 Posts

[QUOTE="Captainqwark10"]Erhem: Despite what fans would say playing any Donkey Kong country game (The original versions) will be quite boring honestly. Super Mario Rpg will appeal to you if you like wacky Rpgs. same with Earthbound. But if you want an rpg with a nice learning curve or has personality and character development stay away from those two. Banjo-Kazooie can be a fun game. But you'll have to be bored for at least a couple hours until you get their. Banjo-Tooie has the same problem as banjo-Kazooie, but you don't have to wait as long. Secret of mana has bores and funs. As in at one moment you will be into the game, and next it will slow down on you and you will start to get bore rather easily. It's all over that game. So to answer your first question, I would pick ny of the banjo games unless you like wacky and slow rpgs. Or Rpgs that are slow and boring constantly. Your second question is basically trying to lure fanboys here. Which may be why people are/were avoiding this thread as of this writing. I consider none of them the best ever, even on their consoles.Koi-Neon-X

It's okay to have an opinion and it's okay to talk about video games that you like. I think as long as we keep in mind that at times we'll agree and times we'll disagree we should be okay lol.The new version of Donkey Kong Country on the Nintendo Wii looks pretty fun as well.

I think he is speaking of the GBA remakes. Since Donkey Kong Country Wii was not made in japan.
psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 psx2514

The only game on this list I can speak on is "Donkey Kong Country" because it's the only one I played. I purchased it when it first came out and I have to say it's a mindblowing experience because honestly I know that the Super Nintendo (my favorite video game system) is capable of doing wonders nothing prepared me for the graphics in this game! the musicis great(Aquatic Ambienceis beautiful)the gameplay is also pretty solid too. I would definitely pick this game up and play it today if I had it in front of me.

Aquatic Ambience

http://youtu.be/LDvKwSVuUGA

I wouldn't overlook "Super Mario RPG" or "Earthbound" (two games I wish I would have bought, but didn't have the money for at the time). Earthbound has quite a following and rightfully so because it looks like a great RPG. As for Super Mario RPG it's a marriage between Squaresoft and Nintendo that went quite well based on what I know about it. I wish I could be more of a help.

Koi-Neon-X

You make a good point with the first thing you said. Everyone, please only give your opinions on games you've actually played.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Captainqwark10
Are you accusing me of never having played those games?
psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psx2514
No, Captainqwark.
Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Captainqwark10
No, Captainqwark.psx2514
Just checking.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Don't listen to him. Donkey Kong Country was amazing. One of the best platformers ever made. I would undoubtedly put it right next to the Super Mario series or the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Easy to get into yet hard to master, fun to play, VERY impressive graphics for a 2D game, and the game has a certain rhythm to it that is just immensly satisfying once you get into the groove of it.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 psx2514
[QUOTE="Captainqwark10"]Erhem: Your second question is basically trying to lure fanboys here. Which may be why people are/were avoiding this thread as of this writing. I consider none of them the best ever, even on their consoles.

Not really. I'm just going for "yeah, I can see why such and such game(s) is/are considered to be the best ever." or "Such and such game(s) is/are really good and probably some of the best of its/their system, but I wouldn't consider it to be the greatest of all time/ I can see why it isn't considered to be the greatest of all time." I'm not looking for, "Such and such game is the best ever, and if you don't agree, you're an idiot."
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Banjo Kazooie and Tooie are awesome, i buy them last year and i had a good time with them, but the games require a controller in good conditions

Q1: All Of them

Q2: Banjo Tooie is my favorite of those, but i never played secret of mana or earthbound

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 psx2514

Hey, guys, only one of you has actually answered my questions. If you can, please answer each of them. I'm not asking you which games you like. I'm asking what I asked you (which I will not repeat because that would be pointless).

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Captainqwark10
Don't listen to him. Donkey Kong Country was amazing. One of the best platformers ever made. I would undoubtedly put it right next to the Super Mario series or the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Easy to get into yet hard to master, fun to play, VERY impressive graphics for a 2D game, and the game has a certain rhythm to it that is just immensly satisfying once you get into the groove of it.Emerald_Warrior
Graphics were the main thing Donkey Kong was trying to prove. The gameplay did not click to me and it won't if you played a lot of games before Donkey Kong country because then you begin to realize all the games you thought were great really were not as good when you compare and contrast. Donkey Kong country was decent, and looked good, but it is something I can't stand playing to often. of course, it is a matter of preference.
psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 psx2514
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]Don't listen to him. Donkey Kong Country was amazing. One of the best platformers ever made. I would undoubtedly put it right next to the Super Mario series or the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Easy to get into yet hard to master, fun to play, VERY impressive graphics for a 2D game, and the game has a certain rhythm to it that is just immensly satisfying once you get into the groove of it.Captainqwark10
Graphics were the main thing Donkey Kong was trying to prove. The gameplay did not click to me and it won't if you played a lot of games before Donkey Kong country because then you begin to realize all the games you thought were great really were not as good when you compare and contrast. Donkey Kong country was decent, and looked good, but it is something I can't stand playing to often. of course, it is a matter of preference.

What about DKC 2? From what I've read on forums, most people say that DKC 2 improved drastically on DKC 1, and therefore is a much better game.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]Don't listen to him. Donkey Kong Country was amazing. One of the best platformers ever made. I would undoubtedly put it right next to the Super Mario series or the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Easy to get into yet hard to master, fun to play, VERY impressive graphics for a 2D game, and the game has a certain rhythm to it that is just immensly satisfying once you get into the groove of it.Captainqwark10

Graphics were the main thing? How much of the game did you actually play? It had some of the best platforming elements ever in a 2D game.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

1. all of them

2. Banjo-Kazooie

My opinion is completely subjective.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 psx2514
I tend to agree about Donkey Kong Country being about the graphics. I played it before, but I was like 17 or 18 at the time, and I remember liking it somewhat. I played it again recently, and to be honest, it really didn't impress me that much. Yeah, the graphics are amazing (for their time), but the gameplay seemed to lag. The level design was meh (a little too linear), and it just seemed a little repetitive. Haven't played Donkey Kong Country 2 yet though; I heard that was better. Anyways, besides arguing about whether or not DKC is a good game, what do you think of the other games (based on what I originally asked)?
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
1. All of those games have aged fairly well so I would say any of them(I have not played Earthbound so not including that, myself) 2. Banjo Kazooie
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

I have played all of the games you mention and finished them all save for the Banjo Kazooies and Super Mario RPG.

DKC and 2 are masterworks of 2D platforming and still a lot of fun.

Secret of Mana is a nice, long adventure. I played through twice when I was a teen, but I haven't played it recently. I believe it would still be fun to play.

Earthbound has great imagination and a lot of heart. However the gameplay is very outdated, it was even a bit outdated when it was new. This could be a drawback for you and given the cost of an Earthbound cart I don't recommend you get it.

Banjo Kazooie/Tooie are very good early 3D platformers, I felt like the quality was on par with Mario 64. I never owned or finished the games but I used to mess around with them several years ago because a friends son played them quite often. I think they would still be a good time to play.

Super Mario RPG, I am not really sure. I rented this and put in a long day with it but that's about it. I don't believe it would feel as antiquated as Earthbound from what I remember, but I would get some more feedback before investing.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Koi-Neon-X

I apologize for my last post I meant so say "Donkey Kong Country Returns" for the Nintendo Wii. I haven't played it however, but if you like DKC then you might like this one.;)

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
From your list I've only played the Donkey Kong series and Super Mario RPG. Donkey Kong Country is hands down one of the best 2D platformers out there. It's has smooth and responsive gameplay, and like Emerald_Warrior had mentioned, easy to get into but hard to master. I myself never really cared for Super Mario RPG despite enjoying Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. But my brother really enjoyed SMRPG and put could a few hours into it. It's just a matter of seeing what you like.
psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 psx2514
[QUOTE="Second_Rook"]

I have played all of the games you mention and finished them all save for the Banjo Kazooies and Super Mario RPG.

DKC and 2 are masterworks of 2D platforming and still a lot of fun.

Secret of Mana is a nice, long adventure. I played through twice when I was a teen, but I haven't played it recently. I believe it would still be fun to play.

Earthbound has great imagination and a lot of heart. However the gameplay is very outdated, it was even a bit outdated when it was new. This could be a drawback for you and given the cost of an Earthbound cart I don't recommend you get it.

Banjo Kazooie/Tooie are very good early 3D platformers, I felt like the quality was on par with Mario 64. I never owned or finished the games but I used to mess around with them several years ago because a friends son played them quite often. I think they would still be a good time to play.

Super Mario RPG, I am not really sure. I rented this and put in a long day with it but that's about it. I don't believe it would feel as antiquated as Earthbound from what I remember, but I would get some more feedback before investing.

Lets just say (for the sake of argument) that money isn't an issue.
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Second_Rook

Lets just say (for the sake of argument) that money isn't an issue. psx2514
It depends what console gen you grew up with. The game doesn't have random encounters, you can actually avoid them if you need to. But the combat interface is almost identical to Dragon Warrior II, a game that preceded it by seven years, there are also a few spots where a bit of grinding is necessary to upgrade equipment. These are the only real weaknesses. Otherwise it has a cool story, great atmosphere, and memorable locations and characters (the final boss is really something.) I recommend it for fans of old time RPGs.

edit: I am of course talking about Earthbound.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 psx2514
I tried Earthbound, and I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Maybe it was great back then, but playing it now, meh. I'm also a casual RPG fan not a hardcore one. I'll really only play an RPG if it's considered to be a great game in general (Chrono Trigger is an example of what I'm talking about). As for Secret of Mana, I heard that it's great if you play it with a friend, but if you play it by yourself, which is what I'm gonna do, it's gonna be mediocre.
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Second_Rook
I tried Earthbound, and I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Maybe it was great back then, but playing it now, meh. I'm also a casual RPG fan not a hardcore one. I'll really only play an RPG if it's considered to be a great game in general (Chrono Trigger is an example of what I'm talking about). As for Secret of Mana, I heard that it's great if you play it with a friend, but if you play it by yourself, which is what I'm gonna do, it's gonna be mediocre. psx2514
I see, for the casual RPG fan it's definitely not the right game. You have to really enjoy RPGs to play a game with such an antiquated combat system. As for Secret of Mana, I don't agree with whoever told you that. I played it twice as did my sister and we preferred to not have one another jump in while we were playing.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

The little rpger in me wants to recommend Secret of Mana but a good 3D game will always be better than a 2D game in my eyes. So my vote goes for the Banjo-Kazooie, great platformer and just like Mario 64, even though it has old graphics the game is still in this age better than several other platform games. (Epic Mickey?)

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Best I played of those by far is the banjo games, and they still play pretty well today.

DK country is okay, but nothing special. There are tons of 2D platformers from that era and it doesn't really stick out in any way but its graphics.

superdum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 superdum2
Member since 2009 • 1558 Posts

all of em

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 psx2514
Yeah, I started playing Donkey Kong Country and DKC 2 again, and I just gave up. There's really nothing special about those games. I'd rather play Yoshi's Island, which was released around the same time as DKC, and is a MUCH better game. It's too bad that Yoshi's Island got overshadowed by DKC.
psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 psx2514

The little rpger in me wants to recommend Secret of Mana but a good 3D game will always be better than a 2D game in my eyes. So my vote goes for the Banjo-Kazooie, great platformer and just like Mario 64, even though it has old graphics the game is still in this age better than several other platform games. (Epic Mickey?)

xWoW_Rougex
A game being 3D doesn't mean that it's better than a game that's 2D. Case in point. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night vs any 3D Castlevania game, and 2D Mortal Kombat vs 3D Mortal Kombat.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#33 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20783 Posts

all of the above to me would be fun if i like the game then it wont change now lol

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Donkey Kong Country, Mario RPG, and Earthbound. Those are the 3 best games on the list.

-DKC is a GREAT platformer. It starts off on the easy side, but wait until you reach the snow areas. It is a brilliant game in just about all its design aspects. The visuals are superb, the music is memorable, and the pacing is just about perfect. When you finish it you are going to wish it didn't end.

-Mario RPG is a true classic. It succeeds in a lot of the same areas that DKC does. It is turn based, but there is some real-time "timing" aspects to the fight, which keeps you on your toes. The best aspect of the game though are the characters and just how well written the story is.

-Earthbound. What to say about it. It is just brilliant.