Playstation Vs. Nintendo 64 Vs. Sega Saturn Vs. 3DO Vs. Atari Jaguar! Consolewar

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
Current standings in poll: Sega Saturn SNES and Geneis get talked about all the time. But what about this fantastic battle of systems? The era that created the majority of gamers (theory). Let's tale look at each console, what they bring, and what games they have attached to them. This will be in Launch order. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3DO (OCT 1993) 4X    Controllers 4x    GPU and CPU CPU: 32-bit ARM Processor with custom math processor. (allows interpolation.) GPU: Two Acellerated VideoP's, allowing for scaling rotation, texture mapping, and produce 10 to 18 million pixels per second. Unique Features 3DO was the first full texture 3D console created. It had powerful processors for 2D and 3D graphics, and was the only one that has equal priority with both instead of leaning more toward one or the other. Interpolation, which was built in, worked to smooth graphics and effect in game. All engines compatible.

GAMES   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Atari Jaguar (NOV 1993) 1X Controllers 2x GPU and CPU CPU/GPU: Custom CPU called "TOM"(integrated with Jerry) Provides 64-bit logic operations and Z-buffering. Unique Features First Console with Integrated GPU and CPU that did operations on graphics. First full textured 3D game console with more than 5 buttons. Most powerful CD add-on of all console prior.

GAMES   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sega Saturn (May 1995) 2X  Controllers 2x  GPU and CPU CPU: Two 32-But Hitachi GPU: VDP 1 32-bit in charge of GPU simulation. Unique Features First console with two CPU's that do more than CPU objectives. Additional Analog Controller sold separately.

GAMES   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Playstation (SEP 1995) 3X   Controllers 2x  GPU and CPU CPU: 32-bit RISC using SGI technology GPU: 3D Geometry Engine extraction from CPU. Hardware GPU is Simulated Unique Features First Console to have more than 3 shoulder buttons. First console to have 4 shoulder buttons. First console to have two analog control methods. First console that can read audio from game CDs and have music playback like a music CD. GAMES   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nintendo 64r (SEP 1996) 2X  Controllers 1x GPU and CPU CPU: Gimped NEC VR4300 64-bit MIPS GPU: Gimped SGI 64-bit co-processor Nick: Reality co-processor Unique Features First Console to have expansions use the Controller primarily. First console with a button on back of controller. Last Console to use Rom Carts.

GAMES
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I have all five and Saturn > N64 = PS1 >> 3DO = Jaguar 3DO and Jaguar are pretty underrated systems. I love Tempest 2000, and the PS1/Saturn port pales in comparison to the Jaguar original.
PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts
I know all four of these consoles can be considered legacy consoles but shouldnt this topic be covered in system wars?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
I know all four of these consoles can be considered legacy consoles but shouldnt this topic be covered in system wars?PS4TrumpsXbox1
No it shouldn't.
zhnun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zhnun
Member since 2010 • 55 Posts

I love sega so saturn al the way!!!!!!!

Eduspcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 5

#6 Eduspcloud
Member since 2005 • 175 Posts

Hmmm tough one..i pick Playstation.

luckykoopsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 luckykoopsie
Member since 2012 • 345 Posts

I love sega so saturn al the way!!!!!!!

zhnun

You're a fan boy of sega and I'm guessing you don't own a saturn. You're beat.

If the Psx didnt have it's 2D games then it would have been beat.

N64>PS1>Saturn> all other systems that tried to compete were and are still beat. ex. the atari jag

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Playstation blew all of those systems out of the water
luckykoopsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 luckykoopsie

Playstation blew all of those systems out of the waterLittleMac19

Name your # 1 psx game.

RobbHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RobbHunter
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts
I'd personally have to go with the PlayStation.
WhySoLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WhySoLimp
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

PS1 for sure.

Goldflower1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Goldflower1234
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts

Jaguar is not 5th gen, it has even worse graphics than 32x.

I do know nothing about 3do.

I do know nothing about Saturn.

PS1 has the most ridicilous fanbase on the internet. They made it out as an untouchable system without any flaws and can't deal with critism. From the lack of quality games in most genres and shitty controls, over the bad hardware to the fact how the second thumbstick was too often used as placeholder. I will always put PS1 in my top 5 worst systems as long they don't stop talking bullshit. It's called protest.

N64 was hybrid between 5th and 6th console gen. Best controller, variety, quality and most 3d games on N64 are playable these days, this can't be said for the consoles above. The only negative thing about the system is the framerate and some lazy conversions from ntsc to pal.

- JRPGs are irrelevant

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#13 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
For me personally it's just hard to decide between the Saturn and the PS. I voted PS since I have more games for it.
conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

Get N, or get out!

The only system that has a chance against N64 is Playstation. Saturn is okay at best, but the other two are just scrub systems overall.

veolyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 veolyn
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

N64 had a much smaller library but I feel like the average quality of games on it was slightly higher. My opinion should probably be taken with a grain of salt, though, since I've had an N64 all my life and only owned a PS1 for a few years before giving it away.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19376 Posts

The fifth generation was responsible for the most competitive (and over-crowded) console war of all time...

• Fujitsu FM Towns Marty
  • Pioneer LaserActive
  • Panasonic 3DO Interactive Multiplayer
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Atari Jaguar
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Bandai Playdia
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony PlayStation
  • NEC PC-FX
  • Apple Bandai Pippin
  • Casio Loopy
  • Nintendo 64
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

PS1 > Saturn > N64 > All the others.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NationProtector

The fifth generation was responsible for the most competitive (and over-crowded) console war of all time...

• Fujitsu FM Towns Marty
  • Pioneer LaserActive
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Atari Jaguar
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Bandai Playdia
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony PlayStation
  • NEC PC-FX
  • Apple Bandai Pippin
  • Casio Loopy
  • Nintendo 64
Jag85
Why are you ignoring Goldstar and Sanyo 3DO? I would also have to give over-crowded to the 2nd gen.
Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
Playstation!
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NationProtector

PS1 has the most ridicilous fanbase on the internet. They made it out as an untouchable system without any flaws and can't deal with critism. From the lack of quality games in most genres and shitty controls, over the bad hardware to the fact how the second thumbstick was too often used as placeholder. I will always put PS1 in my top 5 worst systems as long they don't stop talking bullshit. It's called protest.

N64 was hybrid between 5th and 6th console gen. Best controller, variety, quality and most 3d games on N64 are playable these days, this can't be said for the consoles above. The only negative thing about the system is the framerate and some lazy conversions from ntsc to pal.

- JRPGs are irrelevant

Goldflower1234
I stopped reading when you said the jaguar had worse graphics than the 32x.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I was and still am a huge Nintendo 64 fan so it got my vote. The PS1 gets second place.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Playstation for me.

Though i am tempted by the Saturn and have always harbored a fascination for the 3DO.

Goldflower1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Goldflower1234
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts

I stopped reading when you said the jaguar had worse graphics than the 32x.NationProtector
Darxide and Metal Head... Sega 32x has better graphics.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

• Fujitsu FM Towns Marty
  • Pioneer LaserActive
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Atari Jaguar
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Bandai Playdia
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony PlayStation
  • NEC PC-FX
  • Apple Bandai Pippin
  • Casio Loopy
  • Nintendo 64

NationProtector

Why are you ignoring Goldstar and Sanyo 3DO? I would also have to give over-crowded to the 2nd gen.

If I added every manufacturer's version, the list would be even bigger, so I'll just ammend it instead...

• Fujitsu FM Towns Marty
  • Pioneer LaserActive
  • 3DO Interactive Multiplayer
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Atari Jaguar
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Bandai Playdia
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony PlayStation
  • NEC PC-FX
  • Apple Bandai Pippin
  • Casio Loopy
  • Nintendo 64

And by the way, the 2nd gen had 9 consoles, which is still less than the 5th gen's 13 consoles. Nevertheless, 2nd gen is at least the runner-up for most competitive console war (though, in reality, it was actually two separate console wars).

downnice95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 downnice95
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts

- JRPGs are irrelevant

Goldflower1234

IF you think the PS1 is one of the worst consoles ever you are a **** retard and should be banned from gamespot

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LittleMac19

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Playstation blew all of those systems out of the waterluckykoopsie

Name your # 1 psx game.

Chrono Cross, while most people bash it I thought it was a masterpiece.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jag85  Online
[QUOTE="luckykoopsie"]

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Playstation blew all of those systems out of the waterLittleMac19

Name your # 1 psx game.

Nice choice. Chrono Cross is also one of my favourite RPG's.
Avatar image for deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#28 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts
[QUOTE="luckykoopsie"]

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Playstation blew all of those systems out of the waterLittleMac19

Name your # 1 psx game.

Most people bash it? It has a 94/100 on Metacritic for crying out loud!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

- JRPGs are irrelevant

Goldflower1234
Lack of quality games on PS1? PS1 has plenty of quality titles, thank you very much. This tells me that you obviously you never owned a PS1 before.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Get N, or get out!

The only system that has a chance against N64 is Playstation. Saturn is okay at best, but the other two are just scrub systems overall.

conkertheking1

Nah, N64's library wasn't very good compared to Saturn and PS1's. The N64 didn't even come close to having as good third-party support as the SS and PS1's, and it had the smallest library of the three consoles, even though, the N64 library is still good in it's own right, with excellent titles from Nintendo and Rare, LucasArts, iD, and what have ya.

Saturn is actually a very good system, if you ask me and I would recommend collecting for it, if you have the money that is because Saturn games ain't cheap. But there are lots of great titles on the system.

Saturn has:

Best version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, best version of Mega Man 8, best version of Mega Man X4, best version of the original Resident Evil, best version of Hideo Kojima's Policenauts, best version of Street Fighter Alpha 2, best versions of X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, also Sega brought out new IPs for the Saturn like Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Cop, Wachenroder, Burning Rangers, Virtual On, Deep Fear, Daytona USA, and The House of the Dead. Not too bad, eh?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

Get N, or get out!

GSJones1994

Nah, N64's library wasn't very good compared to Saturn and PS1's. The N64 didn't even come close to having as good third-party support as the SS and PS1's, and it had the smallest library of the three consoles, even though, the N64 library is still good in it's own right, with excellent titles from Nintendo and Rare, LucasArts, iD, and what have ya.

Saturn is actually a very good system, if you ask me and I would recommend collecting for it, if you have the money that is because Saturn games ain't cheap. But there are lots of great titles on the system.

Saturn has:

Best version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, best version of Mega Man 8, best version of Mega Man X4, best version of the original Resident Evil, best version of Hideo Kojima's Policenauts, best version of Street Fighter Alpha 2, best versions of X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, also Sega brought out new IPs for the Saturn like Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Cop, Wachenroder, Burning Rangers, Virtual On, Deep Fear, Daytona USA, and The House of the Dead. Not too bad, eh?

Interesting. I didn't even realize the Saturn has a larger library than the N64. I suppose a majority of those Saturn games were exclusive to Japan?

luckykoopsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 luckykoopsie

frontgold.jpg

beat this biotch

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NationProtector

[QUOTE="GSJones1994"]

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

Get N, or get out!

Jag85

Saturn has:

Interesting. I didn't even realize the Saturn has a larger library than the N64. I suppose a majority of those Saturn games were exclusive to Japan?

N64: 299 North America (removee had 292.)d Nintendo list form official websit Sega Saturn: 246 North America However, Europe had an additional 40+ exclusives, so you could say that most Saturn games aren't japanese exclusive. But on your topic, the N64 beats it in North American releases. Not sure about Pal, but I know 240 saturn games were released in Pal.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] I stopped reading when you said the jaguar had worse graphics than the 32x.Goldflower1234

Darxide and Metal Head... Sega 32x has better graphics.

You clearly have not played games like Rayman, Iron Soidier 2, Avs.P, and many more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

[QUOTE="GSJones1994"]

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

Get N, or get out!

Jag85

Saturn has:

Some were, but a good chunk of them were released in the U.S. and PAL regions, like the Mega Man games, RE1, some Street Fighter games, and what have you.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NationProtector

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

Get N, or get out!

GSJones1994

Saturn has:

In North America, the N64 has a larger library than the Saturn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
[QUOTE="GSJones1994"]

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

Get N, or get out!

NationProtector

Saturn has:

In NA, yes, because the Saturn was discontinued in '98, and the N64 lived on until 2003. But the Saturn's overall library is bigger, because it lived on in Japan until late 2000. It also had better 3rd party support, despite the system only living on in Japan after it was discontinued in the U.S. and Europe 2 years earlier.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NationProtector
[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="GSJones1994"]

Saturn has:

GSJones1994

In NA, yes, because the Saturn was discontinued in '98, and the N64 lived on until 2003. But the Saturn's overall library is bigger, because it lived on in Japan until late 2000. It also had better 3rd party support, despite the system only living on in Japan after it was discontinued in the U.S. and Europe 2 years earlier.

North America has more Saturn games than Japan last I counted, but a lot of sites have different numbers now, so we will need to investigate.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Yeah, Playstation rules them all.  I like the order of the Topic. 

1. PS

2. N64

3. Saturn

4. 3DO

5. Jaguar

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LittleMac19
[QUOTE="LittleMac19"][QUOTE="luckykoopsie"]

Name your # 1 psx game.

GSJones1994

Scores don't always necessarily reflect the public's general perception of a game because if that was the case GTA:IV would not be constantly trashed for not being nearly as fun or good as GTA Vice City or San Andreas even though it scored higher than both or FFXIII which got solid scores but was still bashed to hell and back when compared to other games in the series. Even though I think the scores for Chrono Cross are justified and well deserved doesn't mean that the rest of the general public will think in the same way as I.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="GSJones1994"][QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Chrono Cross, while most people bash it I thought it was a masterpiece.LittleMac19

Scores don't always necessarily reflect the public's general perception of a game because if that was the case GTA:IV would not be constantly trashed for not being nearly as fun or good as GTA Vice City or San Andreas even though it scored higher than both or FFXIII which got solid scores but was still bashed to hell and back when compared to other games in the series. Even though I think the scores for Chrono Cross are justified and well deserved doesn't mean that the rest of the general public will think in the same way as I.

Arguably the most classic example of this would be MGS2, which holds a very high 96/100 Metacritic score, yet it got bashed like hell and back for its controversial plot twists.

I wouldn't really consider GTA IV to be a great example though, since the main reason why it often gets hate is simply because they see it as overrated, not because of any controversial content within it that alienated fans, like for example Chrono Cross, MGS2, Mass Effect 3, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I simply can't deny the fun had with the n64 multiplayer. I think for that reason alone its the best, not to mention the other solo masterpieces released for it.
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I have all but Jaguar, and it is PS1 all the way. Not even close really.

3d0 is a very underrated system, however.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

• Fujitsu FM Towns Marty
  • Pioneer LaserActive
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Atari Jaguar
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Bandai Playdia
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony PlayStation
  • NEC PC-FX
  • Apple Bandai Pippin
  • Casio Loopy
  • Nintendo 64

Jag85

Wow, I never realized how much there really was out there. I mean, I've seen and heard of most of these systems, but I just never saw all sitting in front of me at once like that before.

Back in the 2nd generation, there was a LOT of competition, too. Any company that was into electronics or toys wanted a piece of the pie back then.

• Arcadia 2001
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • ColecoVision
  • Fairchild Channel F
  • Intellivision
  • Magnavox Odyssey II
  • RCA Studio II
  • Sega SG-1000
  • Telegames Personal Arcade
  • Vectrex
  • Plus the multitude of dedicated consoles back then like Pong, Video Pinball, and Color T.V. Games.

And I'm sure I missed some that others can probably point out.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NationProtector

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

• Fujitsu FM Towns Marty
  • Pioneer LaserActive
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Atari Jaguar
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Bandai Playdia
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony PlayStation
  • NEC PC-FX
  • Apple Bandai Pippin
  • Casio Loopy
  • Nintendo 64

Emerald_Warrior

Wow, I never realized how much there really was out there. I mean, I've seen and heard of most of these systems, but I just never saw all sitting in front of me at once like that before.

Back in the 2nd generation, there was a LOT of competition, too. Any company that was into electronics or toys wanted a piece of the pie back then.

• Arcadia 2001
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • ColecoVision
  • Fairchild Channel F
  • Intellivision
  • Magnavox Odyssey II
  • RCA Studio II
  • Sega SG-1000
  • Plus the multitude of dedicated consoles back then like Pong, Video Pinball, and Color T.V. Games.

Well, 2nd gen is a mixed bag because a lot of consoles including ones released in 84-85, where pushed back a gen. But unlike 2nd gen, most 5th gen systems just flat out failed with very little support.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"][QUOTE="GSJones1994"] Most people bash it? It has a 94/100 on Metacritic for crying out loud!Jag85

Arguably the most classic example of this would be MGS2, which holds a very high 96/100 Metacritic score, yet it got bashed like hell and back for its controversial plot twists.

I wouldn't really consider GTA IV to be a great example though, since the main reason why it often gets hate is simply because they see it as overrated, not because of any controversial content within it that alienated fans, like for example Chrono Cross, MGS2, Mass Effect 3, etc.

Another good example is Star Fox Adventures, which has a pretty decent Metacritic score of 82/100, and was bashed heavily because it didn't stay true to the Star Fox formula.
AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3211 Posts

I was more into the N64.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

• Fujitsu FM Towns Marty
  • Pioneer LaserActive
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Atari Jaguar
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Bandai Playdia
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony PlayStation
  • NEC PC-FX
  • Apple Bandai Pippin
  • Casio Loopy
  • Nintendo 64

Emerald_Warrior

• Arcadia 2001
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • ColecoVision
  • Fairchild Channel F
  • Intellivision
  • Magnavox Odyssey II
  • RCA Studio II
  • Sega SG-1000
  • Vectrex

In that 5th gen list, I think I may have left out a few others as well (like the Sanyo and Goldstar versions of 3DO, as pointed out before).

By the way, a few of the consoles you listed are not actually 2nd gen... The Pong & Odyssey clones are 1st gen, while the Sega SG-1000 and Telegames Personal Arcade are 3rd gen.

The thing about the 2nd gen itself, however, is that it was more like two completely seperate console wars:

"Gen 2.0" War (all released during 1977-1979)

• Fairchild Channel F
  • Atari 2600
  • Bally Astrocade
  • RCA Studio II
  • Magnavox Odyssey 2
  • Intellivision

"Gen 2.5" War (all released in 1982)

• Arcadia 2001
  • ColecoVision
  • Atari 5200
  • Vectrex

As you can see, there is a fairly big gap between the "Gen 2.0" war and the "Gen 2.5" war, so I wouldn't really consider them to be part of the same continuous console war, as was the case with the 5th gen (where there was a continuous stream of consoles released from 1993 to 1996).

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#49 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

• Fujitsu FM Towns Marty
  • Pioneer LaserActive
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Atari Jaguar
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Bandai Playdia
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sony PlayStation
  • NEC PC-FX
  • Apple Bandai Pippin
  • Casio Loopy
  • Nintendo 64

Jag85

• Arcadia 2001
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • ColecoVision
  • Fairchild Channel F
  • Intellivision
  • Magnavox Odyssey II
  • RCA Studio II
  • Sega SG-1000
  • Vectrex

In that 5th gen list, I think I may have left out a few others as well (like the Sanyo and Goldstar versions of 3DO, as pointed out before).

By the way, a few of the consoles you listed are not actually 2nd gen... The Pong & Odyssey clones are 1st gen, while the Sega SG-1000 and Telegames Personal Arcade are 3rd gen.

The thing about the 2nd gen itself, however, is that it was more like two completely seperate console wars:

• Fairchild Channel F
  • Atari 2600
  • Bally Astrocade
  • RCA Studio II
  • Magnavox Odyssey 2
  • Intellivision

• Arcadia 2001
  • ColecoVision
  • Atari 5200
  • Vectrex

As you can see, there is a fairly big gap between the "Gen 2.0" war and the "Gen 2.5" war, so I wouldn't really consider them to be part of the same continuous console war, as was the case with the 5th gen (where there was a continuous stream of consoles released from 1993 to 1996).

Except there's no such thing as a 2.5 gen, you just completely made that up. A lot of those "gen 2.0" systems as you called them, were still being produced and new games still being made for them. So they were still in the same generation. Heck, during that entire era, Atari 2600 was doing the best out of all of those system sales-wise and number of games released.

BTW, the Sega SG-1000 is a 2nd gen console, the Master System (or Sega Mark III in Japan) was Sega's 3rd gen system. The Telegames Personal Arcade is definetly a 2nd Gen system too, it plays ColecoVision and SG-1000 games, it doesn't have original games.

As for the 1st gen system, yeah, most of those are 1st gen systems. But many electronics and toy companies continued to make them far into the 2nd generation, as well, which is why I included them. The whole point of this was talking about how crowded some generations were.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

• Arcadia 2001
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • ColecoVision
  • Fairchild Channel F
  • Intellivision
  • Magnavox Odyssey II
  • RCA Studio II
  • Sega SG-1000
  • Vectrex

Emerald_Warrior

By the way, a few of the consoles you listed are not actually 2nd gen... The Pong & Odyssey clones are 1st gen, while the Sega SG-1000 and Telegames Personal Arcade are 3rd gen.

• Fairchild Channel F
  • Atari 2600
  • Bally Astrocade
  • RCA Studio II
  • Magnavox Odyssey 2
  • Intellivision

• Arcadia 2001
  • ColecoVision
  • Atari 5200
  • Vectrex

Except there's no such thing as a 2.5 gen, you just completely made that up. A lot of those "gen 2.0" systems as you called them, were still being produced and new games still being made for them. So they were still in the same generation. Heck, during that entire era, Atari 2600 was doing the best out of all of those system sales-wise and number of games released.

BTW, the Sega SG-1000 is a 2nd gen console, the Master System (or Sega Mark III in Japan) was Sega's 3rd gen system. The Telegames Personal Arcade is definetly a 2nd Gen system too, it plays ColecoVision and SG-1000 games, it doesn't have original games.

As for the 1st gen system, yeah, most of those are 1st gen systems. But many electronics and toy companies continued to make them far into the 2nd generation, as well, which is why I included them. The whole point of this was talking about how crowded some generations were.

I don't mean to go off-topic, but...

I didn't make anything up other than maybe the name "Gen 2.5"... In 1982, the ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Arcadia 2001 and Vectrex were all marketed as "next generation" consoles, but that attempt at starting a next generation was cut short by the 1983-1984 crash. It seems clear to me that there is a forgotten "crash" generation that we're missing here.

By the way, according to your own reasoning, if the SMS is the next gen after the SG-1000... then wouldn't that make the Atari 5200 next gen after the 2600? If anything, the gap between the 2600 and 5200 (five years) is much wider than the gap between the SG-1000 and SMS (two years). But the reason why I said SG-1000 is 3rd gen (despite being a gimped ColecoVision) is because its main competitor was the NES (they were both released on the same day), not the previous 2nd gen consoles. Also, the SG-1000 and NES were both more or less seen as "2nd gen" consoles in Japan (which was a bit late to the console game), so that also kind of messes things up a bit. But the point is that the SG-1000 was part of the NES console war, not the Atari 2600/5200 war (due to different geographic locations).

And finally, I'm well aware the 2nd gen was one of the most overcrowded console wars, along with the 5th. But to me, it just feels like two seperate console wars, since the ColecoVision's main competitor was the 5200, not the 2600... In fact, the ColecoVision even had an official add-on that could play 2600 games! It would be like saying the Dreamcast as a 5th gen console just because it was around at the same time as the PS1 and N64. Anyway, I'm not trying to say we should re-categorize the generations, but I think it's important to recognize that the 2nd gen had two separate sub-generations of its own.