PlayStation 2 selling very well!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

I had to say it! The PS2 is still selling extremely well and is not showing signs of dying yet. It's cheap, has plenty of new games coming out and online servers on many games are still extremely busy!

The PS2 is currently selling rather equally with the next-gen consoles. Sony expect to sell 10 million more PS2s this year, taking the total amount of sold PS2s to around 135 million!

Dantes_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Dantes_Monkey
Member since 2005 • 6554 Posts
the legacy board, aka the ps2 board :P. the wii might maybe beat the ps2 in sales, but it will be very tricky
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
It's not really a surprise when you remember that new games on the newer console cost around 60 bucks, where PS2 games average half that.
falconzss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 falconzss
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

It's not really a surprise when you remember that new games on the newer console cost around 60 bucks, where PS2 games average half that.Threesixtyci

yep, also the console is affordable and the library is huge. it also have many quality titles and series. i am still buying ps2 games like crazy because i think they are better (not on a visual level) than those on the next-gen systems.

i have a ps3 but i only play ps2 and ps1 games.

tequilero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#5 tequilero
Member since 2005 • 9333 Posts

I don't remember where I read,here or in another site that in Target stores,the PS2 slim is now at $99;maybe I get one next month. : )

not according to their website it isn't....Threesixtyci

Opps;I just found the link and it was just a store sale for Feb.24 (last month),not a price drop.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

not according to their website it isn't....

http://www.target.com/PlayStation-2-Hardware/dp/B00004TN9O/qid=1204669554/ref=br_1_8/601-1653572-2550551?ie=UTF8&node=10366431&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

$130 (and that's minus the memory card.)

metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 metalgear-solid
Yes, it's truly impressive what the PS2 has achieved! And it's still very much alive and kickin'!
Uhero41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Uhero41
Member since 2007 • 450 Posts
Yeah they are selling really well. About five of my friends got ones for christmas:lol:
Robot_Vampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Robot_Vampire
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts
Now is the perfect time to buy a PS2 if you never owned one. All of the games for it are cheap and you can find the console itself for a very cheap price now, I know I'm going to buy a lot more games for it.
willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
yeah Ps2 still rocks dude
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 metalgear-solid
Do you guys seriously think the Wii might surpass the PlayStation 2?
earthmonkeyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 earthmonkeyyy
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

Not anytime soon since Nintendo is not making enough of them.

Uhero41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 Uhero41
Member since 2007 • 450 Posts
I agree if you want that Ps2 that you never had go pick one up they are only about 100$ for a ps2 a controller and a game or two. And if you want to buy more games, there a plenty cheap ones.
GANGSTA287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GANGSTA287
Member since 2005 • 967 Posts

dude... I have all the new systems plus 2 high-range PCs and I'm thinking about buying a PS2 lol.... its so small... I can take it anywhere...

plus its like... buy 2 PS3 games... or buy a Silver PS2 Slim and 2 games... (if your not big on graphics then it's no decision)

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#15 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
um i must say wii is in its own market,, you cant really compare it to games of past and ps3/360 or pc ... with that in mind,, ps2 is still best traditional console aside from snes, wii isnt aimed at being very traditional ,, its new, and innovative,
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#16 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
sorry to break it to you its not that nintendos not making enough its that every time stores stock up on wiis they sell in an hour ,, they already sold through 20 million thats in one year ,, ps2 has only 100 more million and was out in 2000 so there is a chance once ps2 actually dies out,, even if not wii is newer, i never see a wii sitting on a shelve at any store at least except the time i got my 2nd wii , and on launch day besides that compared to the number of ps2s i see ,, i dont see wiis on shelves, they stock em ,, then they sell out
nilemonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 nilemonitor
Member since 2004 • 910 Posts
Personally I would rather have a PS2 over a PS3 right now just because there arn't any exclusive titles I want to play on the PS3 until God of War III comes out. Also my nephew was mad because he bought a version of the PS3 that supports no PS2 games so he gave away some games and sold the rest.
spanky333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#18 spanky333
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

sorry to break it to you its not that nintendos not making enough its that every time stores stock up on wiis they sell in an hour ,, they already sold through 20 million thats in one year ,, ps2 has only 100 more million and was out in 2000 so there is a chance once ps2 actually dies out,, even if not wii is newer, i never see a wii sitting on a shelve at any store at least except the time i got my 2nd wii , and on launch day besides that compared to the number of ps2s i see ,, i dont see wiis on shelves, they stock em ,, then they sell out mariokart64fan

Agree 100%. That and all the media coverage of the Wii.. it seems like every day there is a news item about Mom's buying and playing Wii's and old folks homes using them as therapy and recreation for invalids. The Wii is definitely in it's own category. Not surprised that it is sold out all the time.. the demographic is wall to wall! What other system are 87 year olds bowling on?

metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 metalgear-solid

Personally I would rather have a PS2 over a PS3 right now just because there arn't any exclusive titles I want to play on the PS3 until God of War III comes out. Also my nephew was mad because he bought a version of the PS3 that supports no PS2 games so he gave away some games and sold the rest.nilemonitor
You don't want MGS4, probably the hottest game of 2008?

The PS2 has sold 125 million copies and is still selling, mainly due to its very low price and also new games. The Wii has sold, what, 25 million?

earthmonkeyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 earthmonkeyyy
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

sorry to break it to you its not that nintendos not making enough its that every time stores stock up on wiis they sell in an hour ,, they already sold through 20 million thats in one year ,, ps2 has only 100 more million and was out in 2000 so there is a chance once ps2 actually dies out,, even if not wii is newer, i never see a wii sitting on a shelve at any store at least except the time i got my 2nd wii , and on launch day besides that compared to the number of ps2s i see ,, i dont see wiis on shelves, they stock em ,, then they sell out mariokart64fan

Sorry, when a store is only getting like 5 wii's a week, or in some cases, every two weeks, that proves Nintendo is not trying to keep Wii's stocked in stores. If they wanted to, they could be shipping like 20 a week to a store. Also, they know about the evil e-bay sellers. Yet they are not stepping production up. Sorry, but this is Nintendo's way of staying on top of this generation.

jaykho213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#21 jaykho213
Member since 2005 • 3804 Posts
Playstation 2 Total sales is 120,000,000 world wide, and ps2 sales are still going strong..
-Gray_Fox-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Gray_Fox-
Member since 2005 • 2578 Posts

Now is the perfect time to buy a PS2 if you never owned one. All of the games for it are cheap and you can find the console itself for a very cheap price now, I know I'm going to buy a lot more games for it.Robot_Vampire
and that's what I did! I bought a PS2 6months ago , and I can get almost every game I want (what a shame , almost) and I LOVE IT!

I've never had a PS2 so it's really great! imagine playing dozens of great titles (not all) in half a year , like gow1/2 ,RE4, Shadow of the collosus, DMC1/3 , Burnout3/revenge, okami, FFX , Nocturne , sly2 and more .....wow!

GANGSTA287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GANGSTA287
Member since 2005 • 967 Posts

[QUOTE="Robot_Vampire"]Now is the perfect time to buy a PS2 if you never owned one. All of the games for it are cheap and you can find the console itself for a very cheap price now, I know I'm going to buy a lot more games for it.-Gray_Fox-

and that's what I did! I bought a PS2 6months ago , and I can get almost every game I want (what a shame , almost) and I LOVE IT!

I've never had a PS2 so it's really great! imagine playing dozens of great titles (not all) in half a year , like gow1/2 ,RE4, Shadow of the collosus, DMC1/3 , Burnout3/revenge, okami, FFX , Nocturne , sly2 and more .....wow!

don't forget the fact that all those games cost less than one PS3/360 game...

Chilled_AB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chilled_AB
Member since 2008 • 568 Posts
PS2 is definitely a beast of a console, it just won't die, not to say that I'm complaining because I love my PS2 and look forward to buying a few more games this year. I don't think anyone expected the PS2 to be as popular as it is when it first came out.