PlayStation 2 Disk read error Solutions!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rich_e777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#701 rich_e777
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I've managed to get many of my games and DVDs working by simply using my PS2 upside down. No, really, its quite effective in getting rid of DREs. Simply put the disc in (thoroughly wipe clean the disc first) then turn the PS2 upside down and press reset and it may work. Some of the older PS2's struggle to read PS2 games on dual-layered discs. Of course, this depends on the condition of your PS2, or more specifically, its laser. God of War and Gran Turismo 4 are both on dual-layered disc and are both notorious for DRE's. Slimline PS2's seem to have no problem with dual-layer discs. VVasp

Ive got a slimline and Gran Turisom 4 is the onlygame disc i have problems with. Some DVDs too.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#702 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

gt4 was my 3rd game i ever played on a ps2 and it gave me no problems on a slim older over heating one and newer one that doesnt get hot enough to worry and today i played on it for 7 hours and still no overheat and no heat worries

the619punk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#703 the619punk
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I go ATV off road fury 4 and it does not work for my ps2 slim but for others it does plz tell me what to do
DCSchark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#704 DCSchark
Member since 2009 • 5283 Posts

I've tried to play CD's on my old plumpy PS2,but it just wouldn't work! Do I HAVE to place it upside down? Please respond soon.:)

Charactraus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#705 Charactraus
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I recently got a PS2... and it is one of the older PS2 models that has been used. (SPCH 39001) For the first month or so I played nothing but DVDs until I got some PS2 games (finally -_-'). But before I did get PS2 games, I started to notice that it would not read SOME DVDs. Like Shrek 2, Shark Tale, Toy Story, and such. But it will read DVDs such as Back to the Future, Spaceballs, Futurama: Bender's Game, Shrek disk 1, and Underworld. Personally, I am confused. I cannot figure out why it only reads SOME of the DVDs I own. Should not be a region issue because I have confirmed they are all from the same region. (Region 1) When I go into browser and try to pop in one of the DVDs it will not read, it will say "reading disk" for about a second before nothing else happens. There is no clicking or anything. It is like there is not a disk in it. The disks are not dirty either. I am at a little loss.
JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#706 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts
My Big PS2 makes grinding noises while playing CD-ROM formatted PS2 games and PSX games, I tried putting tape on the discs, it actually lets the PS2 read the CD-ROM formatted discs, but the sound is really bad. What should I do about that? I won't upgrade to a PS2 slim :x
problems10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#707 problems10
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I am getting the disc read error for san andreas on my ps2. it did it when I 1st put it in brand new 2 mos. ago, I didn't mess with it for a few days and was thinking about taking it back to wal-mart to trade for the same game but it started playing and continued until yesterday. I was saving progress with cheats activated but it plays fine in my neighbor's ps2 with my disk and memory card. I've tried the diagnosis but nothing happens. Other games play fine. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated because I was pretty far along.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#708 bigM10231
[QUOTE="JuggaloRandall"]My Big PS2 makes grinding noises while playing CD-ROM formatted PS2 games and PSX games, I tried putting tape on the discs, it actually lets the PS2 read the CD-ROM formatted discs, but the sound is really bad. What should I do about that? I won't upgrade to a PS2 slim :x

why? its far superior. slightly sharper image built in modem and loads 5 times faster. whats the purpose of the HDD when 99% of ps2 games dont use it?
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#709 bigM10231
I am getting the disc read error for san andreas on my ps2. it did it when I 1st put it in brand new 2 mos. ago, I didn't mess with it for a few days and was thinking about taking it back to wal-mart to trade for the same game but it started playing and continued until yesterday. I was saving progress with cheats activated but it plays fine in my neighbor's ps2 with my disk and memory card. I've tried the diagnosis but nothing happens. Other games play fine. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated because I was pretty far along.problems10
clean the laser with a laser disc cleaner
1xXRIpShOcKXx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#710 1xXRIpShOcKXx1
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="rob1101"]a simple solution is to turn the PlayStation on its left side. Trust me i know it sounds stupid but it works wonders

I agree