PlayStation 2 Disk read error Solutions!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
Ok i have decided to post this because i have seen alot of people complaining about disk read errors, so i have decided to post this to help everybody.

Well first off before you go on crazy rampage and crack it open or buy a new ps2 do 3 simple things:

• Most of the time this problem is due to dirty disk, it is amazing that some disk can work perfectly with thousands of scratches and smudges, but somthing as little as a finger print or some dust can bring up that awful disk error.
*some tips on cleaning disk*
- first of all use a clean cloth(duh :roll: )preferably a disk cleaning cloth.
-clean from the inside out instraight lines.
-be carful what you clean with best stick to retail cleaners for cds (i use windex but its not recomended)
-the most important thing is to clean softly do not rub because you can kind of wax the cd if you rub too hard.
-the safest path is just to go buy a cd cleaner at walmart
  • If that does not work then a simple solution is to turn the PlayStation on its left side. Trust me i know it sounds stupid but it works wonders:P.
*make sure you have it prorerly suported the last thing you need is your ps2 to take a dive of the game table.*

• If those 2 dont work then you could try cleaning you lens by using a cleaning disk like this one
  • Another solution is to open you disk tray then turn it off and spray the heck out of the tray and the slot in the ps2. (complements to jekkie)
*Some times the compresed air cans will shoot out water (ice too if turn it upside down :P ) so keep your ps2 turned off:) if this does happen just leave it off for about 48 hours and air it out with a fan or a hair dryer on cold on it)*

• Ok one more thing before you try opening ti up you can call sony and have them fix it. If your warranty is expired, Sony will not fix it for free (they did for a short time, but not anymore) - $45 to fix it or $75 for a refurbished PS2. Phone # for sony: 1-800-345-sony(complements to wackoss)

• Now hopfuly that fixed your problem if it did't then you could send it back to sony(do this if you still have a warenty or are not confident with opening the box) or crack it open. This is a last resort please do not atempt to do this if you are not confident with opening the box.

*some tips before you begin*
-the main thing i would worry about would be static(you can really f*** a computer with static) to prevent this you could stand on dryer sheets, or you could get an aiti-static bracelet.
-use a hard clean work surface (thats inside) and make sure you have clean tools.
- read through these guides atleast one before you begin and then use it for step by step instructions.
-if you have any friends that are really good with computers now would be a time to ask for a favor. (knowlege can not replace experience :wink: )

Here are some links i suggest reading though all of these first.

-arstechnica.com
-faqs.ign.com

If anyone has some more helpfull info or any other help then please post here.

Hoped this helped you guys.

Mods please sticky
:D***Thx for the sticky***:D

#2 Posted by Rodg7790 (10355 posts) -
maybe a sticky, helpful
#4 Posted by Vegetaxxssj4 (1545 posts) -
I had this problem on my last PS2 before I got a slimline. I had my PS2 since a week after release in the states. About a year ago my PS2 started to give me the disk read error all the time. I called Sony and because of the "Disk Read Error" they refurbished my machine for free. All I had to do is pay to get it shipped to their plant (about 5 bucks fo me.) Sony replaced my disk tray, and all the reading guts in about a week. I never sent in a warranty card or anything so you might want to try this route also!
#5 Posted by Uma-Chan (14901 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rodg7790"]maybe a sticky, helpfulrob1101

even if we dont sticky this one we still need a sticky on this subject dont you agree

I agree, this should be stickied.

#6 Posted by Kyle1818 (40 posts) -
My PS2 is doing that but its doing that because it motor is dying so i either need to get a new motor or get a new PS2. Most likely you should get a new PS2 because a new motor costs about the same as the PS2.
#7 Posted by reedler1234 (1013 posts) -

My PS2 is doing that but its doing that because it motor is dying so i either need to get a new motor or get a new PS2. Most likely you should get a new PS2 because a new motor costs about the same as the PS2.Kyle1818

My PS2 came back from repairs unfixed, they told me that the motor and the laser is broken and that they will exchange this broken one for another new one! ive tried fixing my laser but it only worked temprarily but this is still useful.

#8 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kyle1818"]My PS2 is doing that but its doing that because it motor is dying so i either need to get a new motor or get a new PS2. Most likely you should get a new PS2 because a new motor costs about the same as the PS2.reedler1234

My PS2 came back from repairs unfixed, they told me that the motor and the laser is broken and that they will exchange this broken one for another new one! ive tried fixing my laser but it only worked temprarily but this is still useful.

so what was the exact adress you sent it to (so i can put it in help)
Avatar image for hulkamania_4321
#9 Posted by hulkamania_4321 (827 posts) -
i had the disc read problem and once i used a lens cleaner it has worked perfectly
#10 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
i had the disc read problem and once i used a lens cleaner it has worked perfectlyhulkamania_4321

that great see about 90% of the people dont even try to do that they just cry and go get a new one
#11 Posted by DoubleT1991 (10639 posts) -
Clean the Disk.
#12 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
Clean the Disk.DoubleT1991

:| uhh did you read the post or do you want some help on cleaning the disk
#13 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
bump
#15 Posted by naz18h (17231 posts) -

[QUOTE="hulkamania_4321"]i had the disc read problem and once i used a lens cleaner it has worked perfectlyrob1101

that great see about 90% of the people dont even try to do that they just cry and go get a new one

well if you open it up and screw up, then Sony wont fix it and you would be in a deeper hole

#16 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -

[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="hulkamania_4321"]i had the disc read problem and once i used a lens cleaner it has worked perfectlynaz18h

well if you open it up and screw up, then Sony wont fix it and you would be in a deeper hole

OUOTE
If those 2 dont work then you could try cleaning you lens by using a cleaning disk like this one
i think he ment one of these

and you dont have to open up the box
#17 Posted by sirzer01984 (25 posts) -
i've only recived the DISK READ ERROR message once since i've stopped playing DVDs, but what is strange is that i took it straight from the box into the system and recived the message. any ideas.
#18 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
i've only recived the DISK READ ERROR message once since i've stopped playing DVDs, but what is strange is that i took it straight from the box into the system and recived the message. any ideas.sirzer01984

is the disk a defferent color than the standard siver. usaly that is the case (if so make sure its clean and just turn the ps3 on its left side, make sure its sutproted though:P)

tell us how it works after that
#19 Posted by beefdog (9185 posts) -
ill go ask the mods to sticky this :)
#21 Posted by farsideofbryan (8044 posts) -
The only time I see this is when the disk is scratched, and I remember the mods saying they don't like it when people ask for something to be stickied.
#23 Posted by bamf03 (1205 posts) -

I came across this site that had a guide to repairing the PS2. The first step was to adjust this cog of the laser drive. As you adjust you see the laser raising so its closer to the disk. The guide said if this doesn't work (which mine didn't) the problem could be that the laser is damaged due to the wrong laser voltage. The site claimed that Sony had put in the wrong voltage for the laser and this is why many broke in the first models. Somewhere if you just google it, there is a site that sells you new laser drives and they come with giudes to install them. The site also contains products of PS2 slimline shells, the pics look like the shells are of good quality.

Couldn't find the site, did find a smaller pic of the case.

#24 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -

I came across this site that had a guide to repairing the PS2. The first step was to adjust this cog of the laser drive. As you adjust you see the laser raising so its closer to the disk. The guide said if this doesn't work (which mine didn't) the problem could be that the laser is damaged due to the wrong laser voltage. The site claimed that Sony had put in the wrong voltage for the laser and this is why many broke in the first models. Somewhere if you just google it, there is a site that sells you new laser drives and they come with giudes to install them. The site also contains products of PS2 slimline shells, the pics look like the shells are of good quality.

Couldn't find the site, did find a smaller pic of the case.

bamf03

have it right here

-faqs.ign.com:wink:
#25 Posted by sirzer01984 (25 posts) -

[QUOTE="sirzer01984"]i've only recived the DISK READ ERROR message once since i've stopped playing DVDs, but what is strange is that i took it straight from the box into the system and recived the message. any ideas.rob1101

is the disk a defferent color than the standard siver. usaly that is the case (if so make sure its clean and just turn the ps3 on its left side, make sure its sutproted though:P)

the disk is the standard silver color and not a sign of dirt or dust anywhere on the disk. as for having the playstation on its side, i've been doing that for over a year. i think the game is corrupt.:(

#26 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -

[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="sirzer01984"]i've only recived the DISK READ ERROR message once since i've stopped playing DVDs, but what is strange is that i took it straight from the box into the system and recived the message. any ideas.sirzer01984

the disk is the standard silver color and not a sign of dirt or dust anywhere on the disk. as for having the playstation on its side, i've been doing that for over a year. i think the game is corrupt.:(

hmm is this the only disk that does that :? cause if thats so then it probly is currupt. if not then you should try a cleaning disk like this one
#27 Posted by beefdog (9185 posts) -
thanks for stickying this Shleco.......i dident mean to be snappy about getting this stickied
#28 Posted by sabru8 (4144 posts) -

A friend of my brothers has tried this method on a few PS2's and what he has discovered is that it doesn't always fix them 100% and in some cases it didn't work at all. I use mine with the disc read error problems as a dvd player.

#29 Posted by sirzer01984 (25 posts) -
[QUOTE="sirzer01984"]

[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="sirzer01984"]i've only recived the DISK READ ERROR message once since i've stopped playing DVDs, but what is strange is that i took it straight from the box into the system and recived the message. any ideas.rob1101

hmm is this the only disk that does that :? cause if thats so then it probly is currupt. if not then you should try a cleaning disk like this one

whats funny is i took the game back and got a replacment, took it home, put it in the system and got the same error. now i'm kind of lost as to what the problem could be. i tried ten others and they all work fine

#30 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="sirzer01984"]

[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="sirzer01984"]i've only recived the DISK READ ERROR message once since i've stopped playing DVDs, but what is strange is that i took it straight from the box into the system and recived the message. any ideas.sirzer01984

whats funny is i took the game back and got a replacment, took it home, put it in the system and got the same error. now i'm kind of lost as to what the problem could be. i tried ten others and they all work fine

wait is it a dvd or a game? you say all of the others work ecept for this one and it is a standard silver color. hmm this one is over my head.
is it a forein movie/game:question: because maybe the regional settings is messing it up
#31 Posted by jekkie (32 posts) -
it used to happen to me with every game but my mom has this can of compressed air she uses to clean her sewing machine and i press the eject button and just spray the air inside there and then it's perfect again.
#32 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
it used to happen to me with every game but my mom has this can of compressed air she uses to clean her sewing machine and i press the eject button and just spray the air inside there and then it's perfect again.jekkie

thats a good idea but i dont like the compresed air cans b/c some times they shoot out water (ice too if you hold it upside down:P ) i would use an air comprsor.
#33 Posted by crashofgod (156 posts) -
Damn, I made a faq just like this but nobody looked at. $#@!
#34 Posted by uhoh_hotdogs (12039 posts) -
Yeah this helps a lot. I have another solution, cut that sucker open and clean the lens manually, it's what I did. Works like a charm now.
#35 Posted by LeOPZache (341 posts) -

Just, spank it...a bit...thats simple

#36 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
Yeah this helps a lot. I have another solution, cut that sucker open and clean the lens manually, it's what I did. Works like a charm now.uhoh_hotdogs

thats the best way to do it. thats why i put two good links up there with detailed instructions on how to do it:wink:
#37 Posted by Hatate (63 posts) -
I use perocide to clean my disk, works for me but I don't reccomend using it all the time.
Avatar image for paranoiasurviva
#38 Posted by paranoiasurviva (13621 posts) -
When i placed my PS2 vertically, it just made the sound come out of only the right side speakers. I thought i broke it even more. I am back to horizontal now.
#39 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
When i placed my PS2 vertically, it just made the sound come out of only the right side speakers. I thought i broke it even more. I am back to horizontal now.paranoiasurviva

thats probably b/c the video cord got jiggled loose(the ones with the red white and yellow) check it a both ends blow it out put it back in firmly. My game cube doesnt show any picture unless the yellow cord is propped up with something (thats b/c my tv is ghetto:P )

that should fix your problem:wink:
Avatar image for paranoiasurviva
#41 Posted by paranoiasurviva (13621 posts) -
[QUOTE="paranoiasurviva"]When i placed my PS2 vertically, it just made the sound come out of only the right side speakers. I thought i broke it even more. I am back to horizontal now.rob1101

thats probably b/c the video cord got jiggled loose(the ones with the red white and yellow) check it a both ends blow it out put it back in firmly. My game cube doesnt show any picture unless the yellow cord is propped up with something (thats b/c my tv is ghetto:P )

that should fix your problem:wink:

I am pretty sure it wasn't the video cord because i checked it out about five times.
#42 Posted by doc_tonic (292 posts) -
hey i am new to this but i have heard that if you rub a lil alcohol on a scratched cd it should work. Is this true?
#43 Posted by bludsplat (25 posts) -
Not sure if alcohol works for scratches, but it cleans the disk well. My PS is having these problems as well, and i've clean my laser 1,000 times and it never worked, so i hope turning the gear works.
#44 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
you know not many people know but you can actually turn the PS on its left side too thats how i fixed my PS and PS2.

Oh and doc_ i dont think alcohol would be the best choice. they make a special solution that you can rub on that is specifcly made for that.
#45 Posted by Uma-Chan (14901 posts) -
What if the game disk is nearly spotless and the disk read error comes up when you try to start it up, btw all my other games work.
#46 Posted by VVasp (25 posts) -
I’ve managed to get many of my games and DVDs working by simply using my PS2 upside down. No, really, its quite effective in getting rid of DREs. Simply put the disc in (thoroughly wipe clean the disc first) then turn the PS2 upside down and press reset and it may work. Some of the older PS2’s struggle to read PS2 games on dual-layered discs. Of course, this depends on the condition of your PS2, or more specifically, its laser. God of War and Gran Turismo 4 are both on dual-layered disc and are both notorious for DRE’s. Slimline PS2’s seem to have no problem with dual-layer discs.
#47 Posted by john_232 (695 posts) -
Just clean it or wash it with water.
#48 Posted by SolidsnakeY15 (2302 posts) -

Just clean it or wash it with water.john_232

This guy is crazy. Well, that or he's joking... Luckily, I've never had a DRE so far and my PS2 has been with me for hmm about one and a half years now, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, specially seeing that my PS1 also works very well after having had it for 7 years :D

#49 Posted by Veeman_EXE (25 posts) -
accually washing it with water or disc cleaner will work, if I don't have disc cleaner around I also use window spray, and another solution for a DRE problem would be to sell your playstation and buy a new one, but I'd only do that if DRE was a re ocuring problem though
#50 Posted by rob1101 (3435 posts) -
is it a different color from the others like blue or somthing b/c those seem to have problems or it may be a dual layerd disc. all i can tell you is turn it on its side