Playstation 2 audio not working propperly, in need of help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -

I recently purchased a new TV, and to my surprise, has no AV connections on it. So I went out and baught some component cable to hook up my PS2, and the audio is not working propperly. Was working fine on my old TV, but now I am only getting sound out of the left speaker, and static on the right speaker. The TV is 120 Hz, I don't know if that makes a difference or not. By the way, I am not dumb, all of the connections are in their corresponding slots. The picture, other than being only about half the size of the screen, is fine. Any help is appreciated.

#2 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24605 posts) -
I don't believe you when you say you are not dumb. Swap the red audio cable with the red component cable.
#3 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

I recently purchased a new TV, and to my surprise, has no AV connections on it. So I went out and baught some component cable to hook up my PS2, and the audio is not working propperly. Was working fine on my old TV, but now I am only getting sound out of the left speaker, and static on the right speaker. The TV is 120 Hz, I don't know if that makes a difference or not. By the way, I am not dumb, all of the connections are in their corresponding slots. The picture, other than being only about half the size of the screen, is fine. Any help is appreciated.

GD-1369211121

Jiggly is that way (a douche) to everyone, pay him no mind -

The one thing I can help straighten you out on, is your mention of "120Hz". It doesn't make a difference, as that is the Refresh Rate of the picture. Here's a Linky so you can get some further information if you want it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

As far as your sound issue, try a few trouble-shooting ideas such as taking the output you know that works (the left channel) and try puting that into the RIGHT component cable input on the TV, just to make sure that both inputs on the TV are accepting signal. THis will let you know if it's a problem with the TV, or the cable, and sometimes it can be BOTH.

I know... This sounds un-helpful. But you need to narrow down the possibilities as to where the missed connection is coming from or going to.

Are the component cables Sony brand?

Sometimes if you buy cheaper knock-off cables, they aren't made to Sony specs, and they might not be making the proper connection, either at the machine or at the "business end".

One more thing to check, and here's where you might feel a bit silly (but NOT, I repeat, NOT STUPID):

Component cables break down the video output to the TV in Red, Green, and Blue. Each cable carries a different base-color bit of information to the TV, where it is reconstituted... Do you have the Red VIDEO plug swapped with the Right AUDIO plug (both are RCA connectors, and both are red-colored)? Sending video information to an audio input would cause some startling sound, like static.

:)

Don't feel goofy, no matter what the problem ends up being. You are learning a whole new way of patching your equipment together. There's no reason to feel stupid. I will check back later to see what you've found.

Sorry 'bout the NHL season! I come from a strong 'Hawks tradition of a family!

Don't worry, we'll get you sorted... And again, Jiggly is a boner. don't let him get you down. Not everyone on this forum page needs to get their head run over by a bullet train like he does.

;)

#4 Posted by i_noseworthy (1585 posts) -
What TV model is it? The brand of cables shouldn't matter too much, unless they're super cheap and the connections are total crap. But even then, Sony's official cables are pretty much trash, just have the Sony name. And they seem to work just fine. Did you say they work fine on your old TV? Or your old cables worked fine? Two things, really, can be wrong here. Either the input on your TV is broken, or one of the audio cables is messed up. Either try different cables, or a different TV, and see what the results are.
#5 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -
[QUOTE="i_noseworthy"]What TV model is it? The brand of cables shouldn't matter too much, unless they're super cheap and the connections are total crap. But even then, Sony's official cables are pretty much trash, just have the Sony name. And they seem to work just fine. Did you say they work fine on your old TV? Or your old cables worked fine? Two things, really, can be wrong here. Either the input on your TV is broken, or one of the audio cables is messed up. Either try different cables, or a different TV, and see what the results are.

My current TV is a Magnovox, my old TV was Sylvania. I was using just basic AV cables on my old TV and it was working just fine until it crapped out. I've never used component cables before, why you need five cables for one connection is beyond my understanding.
#6 Posted by i_noseworthy (1585 posts) -
It separates the color streams, and gives you a much better picture with truer color representation... But on the audio front, I stick by my original comment. Either your cable or your TV inputs are stuffed. Given the Magnovox name, I'd say it's the TV. Not to say all inexpensive TV's are crap, but Magnavox stands out as one for me to never buy. Bad experiences in the past, no trust now in the present ;) If you have an old TV kicking around, try the audio cables in it by themselves, just to see if the sound works OK. If so, the TV is the problem. If not, it's the cables.
#7 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -

Well thanks for the suggestions anyway. I'll figure something out. Screw Sony for taking away backwards compatibility from the PS3, or at least the model I have.

#8 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="i_noseworthy"]What TV model is it? The brand of cables shouldn't matter too much, unless they're super cheap and the connections are total crap. But even then, Sony's official cables are pretty much trash, just have the Sony name. And they seem to work just fine. Did you say they work fine on your old TV? Or your old cables worked fine? Two things, really, can be wrong here. Either the input on your TV is broken, or one of the audio cables is messed up. Either try different cables, or a different TV, and see what the results are.GD-1369211121
My current TV is a Magnovox, my old TV was Sylvania. I was using just basic AV cables on my old TV and it was working just fine until it crapped out. I've never used component cables before, why you need five cables for one connection is beyond my understanding.

So I guess you didn't read my post. Alrighty then.

I explained EXACTLY why the video is split into three cables using Component Cabling - One for Reds, One for Greens, and One for Blues, which are the PRIMARY COLORS needed to create any color in the visible spectrum. The cables transfer each color SEPARATELY so that the data load for each can get optimal transfer to your TV where the information is reconstituted, and the sound is split left and right for obvious reasons.

From Wikipedia:

RGB analog component video

The various RGB (red, green, blue) analog component video standards (e.g., RGBS, RGBHV, RGsB) use no compression and impose no real limit on color depth or resolution, but require large bandwidth to carry the signal and contain much redundant data since each channel typically includes much of the same black and white image. Most modern computers offer this signal via a VGA port. Many televisions, especially in Europe, utilize RGB via the SCART connector. All arcade games, other than early vector and black and white games, use RGB monitors.Linky for more:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Good luck.

#9 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24605 posts) -

[QUOTE="GD-1369211121"][QUOTE="i_noseworthy"]What TV model is it? The brand of cables shouldn't matter too much, unless they're super cheap and the connections are total crap. But even then, Sony's official cables are pretty much trash, just have the Sony name. And they seem to work just fine. Did you say they work fine on your old TV? Or your old cables worked fine? Two things, really, can be wrong here. Either the input on your TV is broken, or one of the audio cables is messed up. Either try different cables, or a different TV, and see what the results are.MonkeySpot

So I guess you didn't read my post. Alrighty then.

I explained EXACTLY why the video is split into three cables using Component Cabling - One for Reds, One for Greens, and One for Blues, which are the PRIMARY COLORS needed to create any color in the visible spectrum. The cables transfer each color SEPARATELY so that the data load for each can get optimal transfer to your TV where the information is reconstituted, and the sound is split left and right for obvious reasons.

From Wikipedia:

RGB analog component video

The various RGB (red, green, blue) analog component video standards (e.g., RGBS, RGBHV, RGsB) use no compression and impose no real limit on color depth or resolution, but require large bandwidth to carry the signal and contain much redundant data since each channel typically includes much of the same black and white image. Most modern computers offer this signal via a VGA port. Many televisions, especially in Europe, utilize RGB via the SCART connector. All arcade games, other than early vector and black and white games, use RGB monitors.Linky for more:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Good luck.

no scrub
component video on consumer stuff is not RGB
it's ypbpr
green is the luma
red is red
blue is blue

green is calculated from subtracting the red and blue values and displaying the leftover.

also tc is plugging the red and the red audio cable swapped.

It's literally playing the video information through the speakers.

so much noob

probably should go back to playing to consoles...

o wait

#10 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

tc is plugging the red and the red audio cable swapped.

JigglyWiggly_

You will notice, I posted that in my first bit of advice. And hey bone-lick, I've been a professional recording engineer for 30 years, world-toured live sound engineer for million-$ live bands, what have YOU ever accomplished past these forums that's of any worth aside from mastering PC gaming?

Oh Wait...

So much bravado because you're on a gaming forum. Sadness beyond compare.

#11 Posted by logicalfrank (1686 posts) -

Wouldn't the picture display incorrectly if they had the right audio channel plugged into the red component video connection?

My first guess is always bad cables, next guess is bad jacks. Next guess is probably more expensive than buying another PS2...

#12 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24605 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

tc is plugging the red and the red audio cable swapped.

MonkeySpot

You will notice, I posted that in my first bit of advice. And hey bone-lick, I've been a professional recording engineer for 30 years, world-toured live sound engineer for million-$ live bands, what have YOU ever accomplished past these forums that's of any worth aside from mastering PC gaming?

Oh Wait...

So much bravado because you're on a gaming forum. Sadness beyond compare.

you are clearly terrible if you can't fix this and the fact that you wrote this is just lol

I've never used component cables before, why you need five cables for one connection is beyond my understanding.

yes i totally believe you when you say you know what you are doing

to the person above, you might not actually realize it initially. The PS2 boot menu is mostly blue, so you might not even realize you are missing the reds.