Playing a series chronologically, or just randomly?

Grillspyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Grillspyd
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

So i haven't gotten around to play most of the big games that everyone played, i mostly played the handful of games that i had.

However, wanting to go back and play all the classics, as well as the current games, i wanna get the best experience out of it.

So should i play the games ffrom the first game in the timeline until the end, should i play them the order they were released, or doesn't it really have anything to say?
In the games that i played, the order does not really matter. You can play any of the Pokemon-games, Zelda-games, and such in any given order, without it making a big difference.
However, games like Jak & Daxter, should be played in the right order.

So, in general, which order should games be played? And also, if i play a story-driven series out of order, how big difference will it make?

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 0

#2 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

If the series has direct continuity and is very story-driven then playing games out of order can diminish or flat-out ruin the effect of the story in prior games

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44156 Posts

Well personally I prefer to play game series' in chronological order even if they're not directly link by story. I prefer this because even if there's no story link sequels tend to have gameplay additions or refinements that may make going back to previous games difficult or awkward. Also in the case of a series that spans generations this may be more pronouced plus there's the downgrade of graphics and/or sound. For story-based games it's definitely preferrable to play in order otherwise you can completely miss references to previous moments in the story and some impactful moments may fly right over your head and lack any significance.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

For story-driven games, I prefer release order. Otherwise, the order doesn't really matter.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Its a video game story, so who cares ? Unless if you're standards are really low then yeah, you should definitely play them Chronologically.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

no-brainer for me: i always try to play chronologically.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Hizang
Member since 2009 • 2808 Posts

Only with story games, who cares if it has no story just go wild.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#8 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

When there's a narrative involved, I play chronologically all the time. However, with any game, I try from the beginning first, because I don't want improved sequels to spoil my experience with a previous, less polished version. Personal policy of mine.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

Video game stories are usually yeah kinda like anime imo nvr pay attention to story anyway since usually its so simplistic, repetitive, and the devs do a good job of bringing you up to speed.

For example, you can play and DmC series in any order wont be lost. Same goes for pokemon, MGS, GOW, COD, etc. Basically what I'm saying is you will get the story even in MGS. The issue however is that the later releases ALWAYS release new info that conflicts with previous releases. Moreover, every couple years or so a "reset button" or reboot occurs. There may be a chronological order, but its pointless since most games with a story-line always fall victim to reboots or new information that flip the story line upside down. Lately, we have seen a change (Uncharted, Tomb Raider reboot) but again if you notice closely, the story is written in a way where you don't have to play Uncharted 1-2 in order to get Uncharted 3. Each is a standalone.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I always prefer playing series in order of release.

lLazzerl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lLazzerl
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

From my experience with the Metal Gear series , i'd advice you to play them in order of release rather than chronological order.

Tonyx429

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tonyx429
Member since 2014 • 77 Posts
@llazzerl said:

From my experience with the Metal Gear series , i'd advice you to play them in order of release rather than chronological order.

I played MGS series by chronological order story timeline-wise. I think you get a better understanding of the story this way.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44156 Posts

@tonyx429 said:
@llazzerl said:

I played MGS series by chronological order story timeline-wise. I think you get a better understanding of the story this way.

Not only that but there are also many moments that are much more impactful this way.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Behardy24

@Archangel3371 said:

@tonyx429 said:
@llazzerl said:

Not only that but there are also many moments that are much more impactful this way.

Interesting. Planning to buy the Legacy collection possibly during Black Friday. I want to play in order of release to see how the games have evolved over the years, but a more impactful story seems more up my alley. I guess I'll have to decide later.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Behardy24

@Jag85 said:

For story-driven games, I prefer release order. Otherwise, the order doesn't really matter.

Same here.