Piracy; really just a question of morality?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for top_lel
top_lel

886

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

After seeing the recent trend of utilizing DRM to it's fullest to stop piracy. I'm compelled to make another topic on this rehashed subject. But this time, it'll be a from a pirate's point of view.

Most of the people believe (usually, the first-world ppl) that piracy is actually one's unwillingness to spend money on something. But in reality, that's just a pixel of a 4k screen. In my experience, almost all of the pirates I've ever seen or met, pirated games because they couldn't buy them. Don't get me wrong now, it's not that they've a bad job or something. It's just something that they can't be blamed for. It was not their choice to born in a third world country. Take me for an example, I'm a High School student. The concept of part-time job is non-existent. Even if you are in College, that concept is still a far fetched one. So people here rely on their parents till they get a 'proper' job of their own. Now my dad never prohibits me from buying games. But the reason why I still don't, is that, I'll be putting a big Goddamn burden on my whole family if I do. My father has a diploma in Cardiology and has an MRCP degree. But just because he's living in a third world country, his salary is a disappointingly dazzling $1000. $100 every month goes for the house rent, $400 for the utility bills (just last month's electricity bill came with an awesome figure of $360), $100 for my brother and my School fee and the rest goes for the miscellaneous.

In the end, there are hardly any savings left. So, now I ask you, is a $60 game affordable for us? of course not.

The most logical option is to NOT play any games. And that's certainly justified well. Games are a form of entertainment, and any entertainment is luxury. Luxury is not someone's right.

The second most logical option is to wait for the price drop and buy it when it's dirt cheap. Now that's certainly sounds good. But as I mentioned before, we have to rely on our parents. In most Eastern cultures, we do. I'm lucky to have an understanding father. But most people aren't. Retail shops are non-existent so there's no way you could save up your pocket money and then buy the game secretly. Sales come online and online shopping requires a credit card. That's self-explanatory as to why I put this in the second most logical option.

The Third most logical option is that devs themselves should try and figure out a remedy for this. If devs don't have the time, then it's us to find out. As an example, let's just say that games should have regional prices. Prices that vary from region to region depending on the consumer power. Like if all games were around $10 in my country where the average salary of a working man is $450, games should be a little bit more affordable. The piracy will reduce drastically. But again, even the most rich people don't want to spend more money when they can spend less. So there's a 90% probability that people will try and figure out a way to buy games from regions where they're cheap. That's why I put this in the third most logical option.

So, what solution do you have to present to tackle this ever-growing ubiquitous problem? Which options sounds the most logical? and what more options do you have to present?

I'll be happy to see your views on it.

Avatar image for humanistpotato
humanistpotato

555

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

A lot of content creators said pirate it if you cant buy it, i may share my thoughts on this ,but i just wanted to say this for now

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

7262

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Make em $10-20 for the 3rd world countries. Also humble bundle is your friend.

Avatar image for top_lel
top_lel

886

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said: Also I'm your friend.

No you aren't. You never gave me your games. It's a sin.

@humanistpotato said:

A lot of content creators said pirate it if you cant buy it, i may share my thoughts on this ,but i just wanted to say this for now

Really? please specify who?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

7262

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@top_lel: Salty? Glad that I kicked you out from my origin and steam friends list. :)

Avatar image for raugutcon
raugutcon

5576

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Being poor, not having enough resources to purchase games/videos/music or whatever is not an excuse, piracy is robbery. You are stealing another person´s property and by purchasing pirated merchandise you are actually encouraging a crime.

BTW I also live in a third world country, I, like your father are a college graduate ( Veterinary Surgeon ) , have two masters degree and a PhD and make pretty much what your father makes a month, I send my kids to private schools and there are months that my income barely covers my needs, however you will never ever see in my possessions pirated merchandise of any type, when I want something I save by pennies in order ti acquire it.

Being honest is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking, it´s a matter of principle. Purchasing pirated merchandise tells a lot about the type of person you are.

Avatar image for top_lel
top_lel

886

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

@top_lel: Salty? Glad that I kicked you out from my origin and steam friends list. :)

You'll soon come back to me.

@raugutcon said:

Being por, not having enough resources to purchase games/videos/music or whatever is not an excuse, piracy is robbery. You are stealing another person´s property and by purchasing pirated merchandise you are actually encouraging a crime.

BTW I also live in a third world country, I, like your father are a college graduate ( Veterinary Surgeon ) , have two masters degree and a PhD and make pretty much what your father makes a month, I send my kids to private schools and there are months that my income barely covers my needs, however you will never ever see in my possessions pirated merchandise of any type, when I want something I save by pennies in order ti acquire it.

Being honest is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking, it´s a matter of principle. Purchasing pirated merchandise tells a lot about the type of person you are.

Oh my, such anger. I know that piracy is bad and I've already said this a thousand times (not on the internet but irl) that the first thing I'll do after getting a job is to buy all the games I've ever pirated. I write the name of every game I pirate in my personal diary for that. It's because of my religion. It's a serious offense.

You too stopped pirating after getting a job. I'm talking about what you do before getting a job. Saving up money is not the most liable option, reasons I've mentioned in the OP. Not playing any games in this modern age is just out of question most of the times when life itself is too damn depressing at many levels. I've asked about what do you suggest. Not what you think about me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

7262

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@top_lel: Nope. you are blocked.

Avatar image for raugutcon
raugutcon

5576

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

What you are actually saying is that only after you get a job you will become an honest person, before that you will be the scumbag that steals another person´s property.

Tresspasers will be shot and survivors will be shot twice.

Avatar image for papatrop
PapaTrop

1792

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

It depends on which developers you ask. Many are in full agreeance that you should pirate if you otherwise can't afford to game. The reasons being that in either scenario you don't give them money, but at least in the case of pirating you can potentially become a fan who buys more games in the future, you tell many other people to buy it, and many devs are passionate enough that they simply want anyone to play their game no matter what.

I wouldn't worry too much about it in your situation.

  • 3
  • 2
  • 4
  • 2

yeah

  • 3
  • 2
  • 4
  • 1
  • 5
Avatar image for top_lel
top_lel

886

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@raugutcon said:

What you are actually saying is that only after you get a job you will become an honest person, before that you will be the scumbag that steals another person´s property.

Tresspasers will be shot and survivors will be shot twice.

It was nice to have your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

@Gamerno6666 said:

@top_lel: Nope. you are blocked.

You will soon unblock me.

@papatrop said:

It depends on which developers you ask. Many are in full agreeance that you should pirate if you otherwise can't afford to game. The reasons being that in either scenario you don't give them money, but at least in the case of pirating you can potentially become a fan who buys more games in the future, you tell many other people to buy it, and many devs are passionate enough that they simply want anyone to play their game no matter what.

I wouldn't worry too much about it in your situation.

I agree on the part that a pirate might become a potential fan in the future who buys games. Most of the people I've seen who pirated games in their student life, grew up and after getting a job started buying the games.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
foxhound_fox

98532

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Piracy is completely justified in the case of abandonware and software not available in one's region. Region locking and lazy publishers shouldn't keep good games out of gamer's hands.

Also, another more grey area is piracy to replace a damaged/corrupt physical copy of a game where the owner bought the license to use the software and shouldn't be required to buy a second license to continue using said software.

Avatar image for papatrop
PapaTrop

1792

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@top_lel said:
@papatrop said:

It depends on which developers you ask. Many are in full agreeance that you should pirate if you otherwise can't afford to game. The reasons being that in either scenario you don't give them money, but at least in the case of pirating you can potentially become a fan who buys more games in the future, you tell many other people to buy it, and many devs are passionate enough that they simply want anyone to play their game no matter what.

I wouldn't worry too much about it in your situation.

I agree on the part that a pirate might become a potential fan in the future who buys games. Most of the people I've seen who pirated games in their student life, grew up and after getting a job started buying the games.

I'm one of them.

I've given thousands of dollars to devs since I could afford to do so. The biggest chunks of money I've spent has gone to devs who I pirated the games of way back when I was a kid and couldn't afford to play anything. On top of that, I can't imagine how many people over the years I've encouraged to also buy games from my favorite devs.

Here's a good video that puts things into perspective that I see pop up every time I come across a discussion about piracy.

Loading Video...

One of his first comments is that in places where his books were being pirated he was also selling MORE books because more people were able to discover him.

It's really worth watching for anyone who misunderstands piracy, or is a general naysayer of the idea.

Avatar image for Lulu_Lulu
Lulu_Lulu

19564

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I pirate games because I hate DRM. PC Gaming actually aint expensive at all.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
Jacanuk

20281

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I pirate games because I hate DRM. PC Gaming actually aint expensive at all.

So because you hate DRM you think its ok to steal? im surprised by you lulu i thought you were a bigger person than that.

But i have and never will pirate , its stealing and stealing is bad no matter how you look at it

Avatar image for starwolf474
starwolf474

989

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

Piracy can be both good and bad. As much as piracy can cost developers sales; I believe that it can also lead to developers getting sales that they otherwise never would have received.

For example, I pirate stuff that I'm not sure whether it is a quality product or not and I don't want to waste my money on something that I would end up not liking. But after I pirate it, if I like the product, I always buy it and give the developer of the product their well deserved money, so they can make more awesome products.

Without piracy, there would have been many products that I have purchased that I never would have purchased because I would not have wanted to take the risk of purchasing a product that I wasn't sure about and couldn't try out first.

Avatar image for behardy24
Behardy24

5324

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

People who pirate anything make me sad. It makes me want to scream "YOUR RUINING THE THINGS YOU LOVE! PLEASE STOP!"

Avatar image for behardy24
Behardy24

5324

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

But i have and never will pirate , its stealing and stealing is bad no matter how you look at it

This.