PGD Recommendation Thread - Post "What game do I buy?" questions here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Still2Trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2052 Still2Trace
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Looking for a good story driven game with at least playable gameplay
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2053 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Should I buy Super Smash Bros Brawl if I am only going to be playing single player?EagleEyedOne

Ehh, I don't know. Multiplayer is generally the reason one would want a Smash bros game, and is a significant part of the game, but Brawl DOES have a nice amount of content for single player, although the subspace emissary was pretty meh overall. and I didn't like the event matches in brawl as much as I did in Melee. Also the "break the target" mode in Brawl is way worse in Brawl than it was in Melee or 64.

So Brawl does have a decent amount of content for single player, though I wasn't particularily crazy about it overall personally.

usotsukijohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2055 usotsukijohn
top ten games of 2013 so far http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWdRx4cXtU
GrannyGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2056 GrannyGoat
Member since 2010 • 1190 Posts

crysis is on xbox live for $5. its just the campaign though. never played any of the crysis games. is it worth it? 

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2057 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1675 Posts

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]Should I buy Super Smash Bros Brawl if I am only going to be playing single player?DJ-Lafleur

Ehh, I don't know. Multiplayer is generally the reason one would want a Smash bros game, and is a significant part of the game, but Brawl DOES have a nice amount of content for single player, although the subspace emissary was pretty meh overall. and I didn't like the event matches in brawl as much as I did in Melee. Also the "break the target" mode in Brawl is way worse in Brawl than it was in Melee or 64.

So Brawl does have a decent amount of content for single player, though I wasn't particularily crazy about it overall personally.

I bought a pre owned one and returned it today already. Got Bioshock Infinite instead :) Thanks for your input though.
HEY_HEY209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2059 HEY_HEY209
Last of Us or Fire Emblem: Awakening. I know they don't compare, but which do you recommend? Purchasing both games isn't an option right now. I was leaning a little more to Fire Emblem since it's cheaper, but after watching some gameplay, Last of Us seems really good.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2060 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Last of Us or Fire Emblem: Awakening. I know they don't compare, but which do you recommend? Purchasing both games isn't an option right now. I was leaning a little more to Fire Emblem since it's cheaper, but after watching some gameplay, Last of Us seems really good. HEY_HEY209
Both are really great so you can't go wrong either way. Awakening is my GOTY so far though.

A_MExican21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2061 A_MExican21
Member since 2013 • 174 Posts

Looking for a story driven adventure game.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2062 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18794 Posts

Looking for a story driven adventure game.

A_MExican21

What systems do you own? And by adventure do you mean something like Zelda (exploration, dungeons, etc.) or Monkey Island (interactive novel with puzzles)?

Alastair89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2063 Alastair89
My favorite games are Deus Ex from 2000, Systemshock 2 and the early Hitman titles. Those are my absolute favorites. I also tremendously enjoyed Max Payne 1 and 2 and Mafia: The city of lost heaven but was disappointed with the sequels. Can you recommend games (preferably from the late 90s or first half of 2000) in that vein, with great story, long playing time and intelligent gameplay? I do prefer the older games, from when before everything was about graphics and achievements. I am on computer, Xbox 360 and PS2. Because I don't have a PS3, no Heavy Rain, The Last of Us or Uncharted for me. The Thief series was recommended to me. What about Alan Wake? BTW I just ordered a game from 2012, called Dishonored, which was compared to Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Any recommendations are appreciated!
StickyTripod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2064 StickyTripod
Hey I am a A level student studying ICT and a part of the course is about video games and do audience research. So if you could fill in this quick 5 mins survey then I would be very grateful, thank you. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YDXGTQ6
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2065 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts
I'm looking for a list of around 5 or 10 indie games that are free that are well known (like Cave Story and Spelunky) that would be great to play. Maybe, you can try also throwing in a few great XBLA games (i.e. Mark of the Ninja, Skulls of the Shogun, etc.) that are available for less than 1200 MSP.
koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2066 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
[QUOTE="Alastair89"]My favorite games are Deus Ex from 2000, Systemshock 2 and the early Hitman titles. Those are my absolute favorites. I also tremendously enjoyed Max Payne 1 and 2 and Mafia: The city of lost heaven but was disappointed with the sequels. Can you recommend games (preferably from the late 90s or first half of 2000) in that vein, with great story, long playing time and intelligent gameplay? I do prefer the older games, from when before everything was about graphics and achievements. I am on computer, Xbox 360 and PS2. Because I don't have a PS3, no Heavy Rain, The Last of Us or Uncharted for me. The Thief series was recommended to me. What about Alan Wake? BTW I just ordered a game from 2012, called Dishonored, which was compared to Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Any recommendations are appreciated!

This is a bit of a longshot, but ever considered Anachranox? Gameplay isn't the best (kind of a mishmash of Western and Japenese RPG mechanics) but its got a long, absolutely hilarious and rather intelligent story to it. You get a freaking planet as a party member, for instance. Be sure to check out the games catalog GOG.com has (Anachronox is also there), some fantastic old games there that might be just right up your alley.
Alastair89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2068 Alastair89
Will give it a go, koospetoors. Thank you for the recommendation, what I read about the game sounds great!
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2070 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Looking for a good story driven game with at least playable gameplay. I own a 360. Thanks in advance.       Mc23Gill23
I would suggest Alan Wake. I really thought the story worked amazingly. The gameplay doesn't become anything too special until the DLC, though. You could also try Metro 2033. That game has a fantastic story about a post-apocolyptic world and there are several very thrilling moments in the game. The AI isn't too great (the enemies won't completely cover themselves when they hide, but that's really the only problem with the game. Also Deadly Premintion has a story that is just crazy and weird and awesome! It'll be one of the most memorable stories you have ever played in a game. The gameplay is kinda clunky and dated, though. But it's only $20.
I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2071 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I've been thinking of getting into JRPG'S any that I should start off with first? Which are your favorites?

Main ones I've heard of are the Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Tales series. Also Chrono Trigger too.

EDIT also the I've heard the shin megami tensei are really good too.

Lu-Kang

Cutting your own hand off will be a more satisfying experience than playing a JRPG game, avoid JRPGs like the plague!

Hurley6178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2072 Hurley6178
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Hey all,

Apparantly i'm supposed to post this here even though my question is very specific and I feel like I probably won't get the same answeres here but here goes nothing.

So I've been buying and selling games to make a few bucks here and there and in doing so i've gotten quite a few pokemon games coming into my possession and it made me want to try and play through them all because I stopped when they started making them for the DS.

The question is though, which ones should I play? Mainly i'm wondering if I do red or blue should I also play yellow? I played yellow but can't remember the differences. However after yellow, I never played the sister games, i.e Crystal, Emerald, Platinum. And i'm wondering if I play sapphire or ruby, if I should pay emerald or if it's too similar. I know a few things were introduced to make it a little different and a new pokemon at the end and stuff, but with the hundreds of hours i'm going to need to put into this little venture, are any of the sister games, or mid gen games whatever you want to call them, worth playing, or should I just stick with 1 of the 2 main ones, and move on to the next gen?

Anyone with some pokemon knowledge who could help would be greatly appreciate. Thank you!!

Hurley

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2074 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14626 Posts

Gonna make a new thread. This one's getting kinda bloated. Plus, it's due for a replacement anyway. If anyone still has any unanswered queries, feel free to repost them in the new thread.

Hey all,

Apparantly i'm supposed to post this here even though my question is very specific and I feel like I probably won't get the same answeres here but here goes nothing.

So I've been buying and selling games to make a few bucks here and there and in doing so i've gotten quite a few pokemon games coming into my possession and it made me want to try and play through them all because I stopped when they started making them for the DS.

The question is though, which ones should I play? Mainly i'm wondering if I do red or blue should I also play yellow? I played yellow but can't remember the differences. However after yellow, I never played the sister games, i.e Crystal, Emerald, Platinum. And i'm wondering if I play sapphire or ruby, if I should pay emerald or if it's too similar. I know a few things were introduced to make it a little different and a new pokemon at the end and stuff, but with the hundreds of hours i'm going to need to put into this little venture, are any of the sister games, or mid gen games whatever you want to call them, worth playing, or should I just stick with 1 of the 2 main ones, and move on to the next gen?

Anyone with some pokemon knowledge who could help would be greatly appreciate. Thank you!!

Hurley

Hurley6178

Pretty sure you can start with any of them and go from there. The mechanics don't change much between entries. Just look into the pokemon lineup for each game and go with whichever one strikes your fancy. Stuff like Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, etc. are good places to start since they include everything from the base games along with a bunch of extras, so you'd be saving a ton of time by going with those instead.