PC requirements for games? Where to find out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

I'm thinking of purchasing Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic on Steam and trying out the series for the first time on PC.

Is there a way to find out if a game is able to run on my current hardware? I don't have a gaming PC, just a regular one I got as a gift.

ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts

It gives you the system requirements on the steam page itself.

Otherwise you can find out on Wikipedia probably. Also the website canyourunit.com can be helpful.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thattotally

I don't actually know how PC gaming works, and don't know any details about anything. Is that site safe to download the application?

ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ganon92

Yeah it should be. My computer's fine and I've used it loads of times.

ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ganon92

I don't actually know how PC gaming works, and don't know any details about anything. Is that site safe to download the application?

thattotally
When you say you don't know much, do you actually know the specifications of your own computer and how they relate to the system requirements on games at all?
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thattotally

Nope, I know the system properties of the My Computer icon which has small information to see such as Intel Core 2 Duo and 2.80 Gz and stuff like that. But as to whether or not I'm supposed to match the number with the name and see if they're the same, I'd feel more comfortable having a program just tell me if I'll be able to run it without hardware problems or such.

This is just a preliminary to see if I'm going to go ahead and maybe try out PC gaming with more recent titles sometime this year, and if needed actually get some PC gaming components or such.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thattotally

Anyway thanks that site is pretty useful.

Apparently I need a better video card for recommended results. For the rest they gave me a Pass.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
You can always drop by the game's forum and ask whether you can run it there.
xxxDirtyJoexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 xxxDirtyJoexxx
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

http://svc.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/ (use Internet Explorer for that site cuz of ActiveX)

This site scans your hardware, and tells you not only if you can run the game but how well you would run it.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper99
UnknownSniper99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UnknownSniper99
Member since 2010 • 57 Posts
Google it. Type the game's name, write system requirements next to it, hit enter, and click the first ling you see. - works for me. ps: In order to check your computer's preferences, go to start, run and type in dxdiag. Hit enter. Or, right click your My computer icon, go to properties, and general. If you want to see your video card this way, you'll need to go to hardware and then click on display adapters.
KrazyKrizic07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KrazyKrizic07
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Don't use that thing dude, it's actually really inaccurate. On my old computer when I was using that thing, it said that it didn't meet the recommended requirements for Fallout 3, even though it was perfectly playable in high settings(lower resolution and x2 anti-aliasing, but still). I suggest looking up YouTube videos and your specs/video cards instead that way you can actually see the person playing the game. That application is inaccurate.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
google 'can you run it' should be the first link. http://svc.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/
face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts

Type Can you run it in a search engine (google)

and enter systemrequirmentslab

You must use IE though

reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 reason58
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts

KotoR is so old you should be able to easily run it on any machine made within the last half decade. Even if the thing is using onboard video.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

There are several ways to find out your systems specs, one is with DxDiag (as stated by others already) and Belarc Advisor (free download) which puts everything into laymans terms and shows you everything you have installed both software and hardware wise.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Easy way to get your PC specs: 1. Download and install Speccy. 2. Run Speccy. 3. Look at the overview screen. 3a, optional: Copy-paste the info it shows you here or in a new thread the PC forum if you have questions what it finds. :)