PC: Looking for a Turn based strategy that has no micromanagement?

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Looking for a top down or isometric TBS where you don't have to micromanage anything. I don't want to build resources, feed my troops, mess with an economy or anything like that. Just straight to the strategy of warfare and conquering land...preferably medieval or fantasy.

Any recommends? I was looking at Rome: Total War on Steam but not sure if theres any micromanagement involved or not.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Are turn-based tactics games OK? That is more or less what you are asking for, I'm afraid; a TBS without the strategy is more or less a TBT (tactics) game.

the only thing that comes to mind immediately is this older game called Shattered Union. It's basically a modern-day Civil War, complete with tanks, planes, troops, and so forth. The US is broken up into like five territories: The pacific states form like a California Commonwealth, the midwest forms something, the South forms such and such, and so on.

It's a great game, but not a lot of people played it, unfortunately. I would love to see a modern sequel. There is a tiny bit of economy, but it is very, very, very simple: the bulk of the game consists of collecting cash, selecting units, then deploying them.

There's also Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy. It's a spaceship-focused turn-based tactics game. There's not a whole lot to it other than really deep strategy. There might be a little bit of micromanagement, but that's it. Great game, lot's of fun. I believe there is also a standalone Battlestar Galactica version of the game as well.

Wartile just came out; have not played it yet, but it looks really good, very interesting presentation. AFAIK there is little to no micromanagement, but like I said I did not play it yet. Vikings rawr!

Ummmm if you are OK with western-themed games, Hard West is a brilliant turn-based tactics game. Again, tiny bit of micromanagement as far as equipping your characters (that's more of an RPG mechanic, though, that a TBS mechanic), but for the most part it plays like a Western movie meets XCOM combat. Pretty fun, good story, nice gameplay.

Sorry I know the above might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it should be close enough.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Heroes Of Might And Magic?

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

The Total War series is one of the best on the planet. If you are looking for less "micromanagement," you may want to look at Total War Attila, rather than Rome. Or Total War Warhammer 1/2. Those games have "horde" factions wherein they don't establish cities, so the city AND the army are one thing...meaning more time for battle, less empire management.

Gameplay wise...they are magnificent...the battles are great. Some of their old games are spectacular too...Shogun 2, Napoleon. Just pick one with a time period that interests you...or if you like fantasy, go with Total War Warhammer.