Over-Rated Games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Do you think that Gamespot and top video gaming sites are over-rating games.

So what are your thoughts.

Pandemic-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Pandemic-7
Member since 2006 • 229 Posts
Its difficult to say I think, unless a game obviously sucks than its really subjective. One recent game I will argue to the death is overrated is gears of war 2. I'm a huge fan of the original but I think the fan boys gave a free pass on all the problems part 2 had. I remember thinking the ninja gaidens for xbox and god war for ps2 were overrated but unlike gears of war 2 i think those are probably just a matter of my taste than being overrated. I should mention Im looking forward to god of war 3 on ps3, hopefully this one captures my interest more than the original.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#3 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Subjectivity is the main factor here. Other than in the obviously bad games (no-one thinks Big Rigs is good), it is impossible to say that someone overrates a game, seeing as the reviews are based on opinions. I have said this often, but I will repeat for the sake of this thread: NO GAME IS OVERRATED! EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINION! Saying a game is overrated is taking your personal opinion over the opinions of everyone else. A prime example is FF7. A number of ignorant people have stated it is an overrated game, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I know people that still regard it as their favorite game. No-one has the right to say thattheopinion of those peopleis wrong in any way. That is just stupid. Opinions are opinions people! Isn't there anyone that agrees with me on this?

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

*searching for World of Warcraft on GameSpot*

No, seriously, I agree with what calvinsora said. For example Postal 2 had a bad rating but I liked it alot, Command & Conquer Tiberium War had a good rating but I didn't like it that much... (I'm not really into RTS games but that's not the point)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

No not really. Pretty much all of the highly rated games I have played have lived up to the reviews and scores I've seen them given.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It's all subjective, but we have to remember that reviewers are just like us, rating games in many ways, only difference is that they get paid to do it.:P

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

All reviews are subjective. And some people really need to stop substituting 'I don't like this game' with 'overrated'.

glassfish8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 glassfish8
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts

i personly think Crysis is overated it is just a good looking game with the simpilist of stories and old school online this is in no way inovative the only reason why people play it is becasue the graphics are so good take away this and it has nothing.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#9 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

It is nice to see people of similar moral fiber here. This "overrated" business just tends to get my blood to a boil :P

Since everyone has differing preferences and opinions, there is no true rating for each and every game. Though it can be argued that there are objectively good and bad games, it is still a matter of subjectiveness in the end, seeing as gaming is simply another form of media that appeals to a number of different people. AsMadvybz, nilzg and othershave stated, this is all subjective. "Overrated" has been way too often used in the meaning "I don't like this game as much as others". There is a distinct difference between those two meanings, where one of them is completely legit (the latter) and the other goes against the very definition of subjectivity (the former). It is important to note this fact, and be sure to look at things from the perspective of others before saying something that might potentially be discrediting someone's opinion.

Lawgamer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Lawgamer83
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts

The more I see reviews, the more I believe it's truly a subjective matter. Some reviewers are fanboys, others are more "generalists". To be honest, I always look WHO writes a review before having the true meaning of a game rating. Some reviewers tend to rate high some games I don't like while others do the contrary. So I must say it's not Gamespot reviews but rather Gamespot reviewers I look at.

NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 NBSRDan
Member since 2009 • 1320 Posts
Obviously. Just search for "Half-Life 2", anywhere.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
I am not going to get into concepts of "under" or "over" rated. However I do think their are some fixes in the industry and nudges and incentives that make some pros review games higher then they deserve,and consequences of not doing it. Just look at the popular perception of the jeff gerstman incedient. Also I remember when driver 3 came out all the print media at the time gave it insanely high marks and that game was broken.
Ironserpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Ironserpent
Member since 2008 • 646 Posts
Its all a matter of perspective of course, so you really have to understand that one reviewers opinion is not necessarily going to be the same. However, you do have to realize that most reviewers try to make it as least biased as they can. So yes, I do believe that some reviewers get caught in the hype of a certain game and have been known to rate a game over what it should be (yes I;m looking at you GTA4) but they are human beings so you can't judge them if your not going to judge yourself. I trust a reviewer to make a good call, and if he has a reputation of being honest and truthful, then thats really the best I can do.
glassfish8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 glassfish8
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts

i personly think Crysis is overated it is just a good looking game with the simpilist of stories and old school online this is in no way inovative the only reason why people play it is becasue the graphics are so good take away this and it has nothing.

glassfish8

is there anyone else who thinks crysis is overated or am i the only only one because not only do the reviewrs overate it but even the public does too maby you guys know something i dont

Pandemic-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Pandemic-7
Member since 2006 • 229 Posts
"I do believe that some reviewers get caught in the hype of a certain game and have been known to rate a game over what it should be (yes I;m looking at you GTA4)" haha, are trying to say gta4 isnt perfect?.....blasphemer! seriously tho, a 10? i mean i enjoyed it and all but 10?!?!?! cmon
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
It seems like a good game always measures out to an 8.7, and a great game is 9.3.