This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I think the series don't really need a big introduction.

It's simply one of my fave arcade racer series, alongside such heavyweights as F-Zero.

Here is a brief over-view of the games in this series:

OutRun (1986; Arcade, Master System, Genesis, ect.)

out-run-screen1.png

The original and, imo, best.

The game showcased Sega's advanced "Super Scaler" hardware and had multiple routes, which was pretty innovative at the time.

Besides sporting some fantastic music and looking pleasing to the eye, it also posed a challenge and had a great replay value due to the multiple routes.

It basically has a ageless design and is still a very enjoyable game.

It was ported over to a number of home systems ranging from Sega's own consoles (the Saturn version being best but the Genesis and Master System versions were good too, despite the limitations of those systems) to various home computers and consoles like the PS2 and GBA. (the game was also playlable in Shenmue II)

Trully a magnificent game for it's time that inspired many arcade racers.

Battle OutRun (1989; Master System)

710883-1093176127_05.png

This was a spin-off for the SMS where the point was to ram other cars.

It was okay but nothing that special.

Some pretty good graphics for SMS tho.

Turbo OutRun (1989; Arcade, Mega Drive, Master System, ect.)

69439.jpg

The next major OutRun game that wasn't released in the US on a home console.

The point here was to use the turbo booster which made you faster but could over-heat if used too much.

The track design was more linear than original OutRun, with no branching routes.

But the game was enjoyable nonetheless.

It was ported to a variety of home systems, from Sega's consoles (the MD port was a bit of a let down) to various home computers of the time. (I assume the FM Towns port was the best)

Over-all an interesting and enjoyable arcade racer but not quite on the level of the original OutRun, imo.

OutRun Europa (1991; Master System, Game Gear, ect.)

OutRunEuropa(UE)007021487.jpg

Another spin-off aimed at 8-bit systems.

The point here is to race across Europe (duh), escaping from the police.

The game was not developed by Sega and it featured more playlable vehicles, including a Porsche and a bike.

It was a decent game with some pretty good visuals for the SMS. (game was also released on some other home computers, including the Amiga which has the best-looking version of the game)

OutRun 2019 (1993; Mega Drive/Genesis)

outrun-2019-02.png

Genesis-only OutRun that was set in the future.

The game received mediocre reception but it was not that bad, imo.

Kinda Sega's answer to the SNES exclusive Top Gear series.

OutRunners (1993; Arcade, Mega Drive/Genesis)

595.jpg

The next major title in the series.

Some great scaling, pseudo-3D graphics, selectable cars, branching routes and a multi-player.

The Genesis version was split-screen by default but it felt a little watered-down compared to the arcade version. (obviously, since the game had some of the best pseudo-3D visuals at the time)

Unfortunatelly, there were no other ports of the game so you might have to use some "alternate methods" to get a chance to play the best version.

OutRun 2 (2003; Arcade, Xbox; SP version - Arcade; 2006 version - Xbox, PS2, PC, PSP)

outrun2006ps2pic2.jpg

The first "true" successor to the original OutRun.

And a great game as well, sporting some great graphics for the time and an enjoyable (arcade) physics model.

Many great-looking courses, different selectable cars (all Ferraris), cool music, replay value, ect.

The game was released in more versions - the original on Arcade and Xbox, SP version on Arcade and 2006 version on Xbox, PS2, PSP and PC.

I'd recommend the 2006 version, as it's the most feature-packed and contains both, the original and SP version. (preferably the PC version, which allows for highest resolutions and AA - it's perfectly playlable with a gamepad too)

There was also "OutRun Arcade" released for the current-gen systems which is basically a scaled-down version of OutRun 2006 so I would not loose much word on it. (besides this is "legacy platforms")

Do you enjoy the series and if so - which is your fave one?

Discuss.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I've only played Outrun. It's a fun game. I might Outrunners or 2 at some point.
andmcq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 andmcq
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

I wish Sega still had the Ferrari license and that they newer Outrun games were available on XBL :(

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Eddie-Murphy48
Member since 2013 • 939 Posts

I am afraid to say that before outrun went 3D, Topgear>Outrun.

With that siad after it went 3D, well, Top Gear was already next to dead by the time it came out.

I prefer the 3D Outrun games overall. 

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Top Gear came out 5 or 6 years after OutRun. OutRun's rival was Rad Racer.

Its just that Sega kept re-releasing OutRun every 5 years on every hardware platform they made.

Personally I only care about the Arcade, Master System, and PC-Engine ports of OutRun, the other ports were just lazy shovelware released to squeeze some more money out of the old classic instead of actually putting the work in to create proper sequels (IE a proper Saturn OutRun).

------------------------------------------------

Where it comes to other games in the series, OutRun 2 was awesome, that was probably my favourite OutRun game.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eddie-Murphy48

Its just that Sega kept re-releasing OutRun every 5 years on every hardware platform they made.

Personally I only care about the Arcade, Master System, and PC-Engine ports of OutRun, the other ports were just lazy shovelware released to squeeze some more money out of the old classic instead of actually putting the work in to create proper sequels (IE a proper Saturn OutRun).

Where it comes to other games in the series, OutRun 2 was awesome, that was probably my favourite OutRun game.

Domino_slayer

He's talking about the series not just the first game. Outrun primary competition once the Genesis came out was Top Gear. Which I believe Outrun was put on the Genesis the year the NSES came out.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Outrun 2 is my favorite racing game on the XBOX, and my favorite Outrun game by far. I always liked the original as well and own it on the Genesis.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silent_bomber

He's talking about the series not just the first game. Outrun primary competition once the Genesis came out was Top Gear. Which I believe Outrun was put on the Genesis the year the NSES came out.Eddie-Murphy48

OutRun's day was pretty much over during the 16-bit era. OutRun was old hat, having arrived on Master System 4 years earlier, and Turbo OutRun and Outrunners were both badly ported, Outrun 2019 was a rebranded, unrelated game made by SIMS (that one was pretty good).

People generally bought Road Rash, Micro Machines 2, Virtua Racing, or Lotus II on Genesis, OutRun was the nostalgia buy.

Also the Genesis version of OutRun isn't even as good as the earlier PC-Engine port IMO.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]He's talking about the series not just the first game. Outrun primary competition once the Genesis came out was Top Gear. Which I believe Outrun was put on the Genesis the year the NSES came out.Domino_slayer

OutRun's day was pretty much over during the 16-bit era. OutRun was old hat, having arrived on Master System 4 years earlier, and Turbo OutRun and Outrunners were both badly ported, Outrun 2019 was a rebranded, unrelated game made by SIMS (that one was pretty good).

People generally bought Road Rash, Micro Machines 2, Virtua Racing, or Lotus II on Genesis, OutRun was the nostalgia buy.

Considering Outrun to sold close to a million, I am sure that the Genesis games that where ported during the SNES days where selling well.

Racing games back then in general didn't do that well, outside of a few.

No doubt though people brough road rash, but Top gear and Outrun where the only similar games, both even having fururistic editions.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Love the series. The original Outrun is my favorite followed by Outrunners. It'd be nice if Sega gave us another full entry in the series but I doubt that would happen anytime soon considering Sega licensing agreement with Ferrari expired sometime ago, which also resulted in Outrun Online Arcade being removed from PSN and XBLA.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

I found Outrun 2006 quite boring compared to other arcade racers. I'd have to go with Turbo Outrun as it was good fun on the Amstrad CPC, despite the dodgy frame-rate.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nameless12345

Domino_slayer

I found the MD/Genny port of OutRun pretty good.

I think Outrunners would make a good Saturn port.

I had the chance to play it with another person and I have to say it was really fun.

I also think the "unproper" sequels gave the series some diversity, rather than just continuing where the original left.

As good as OutRun 2 was, it didn't really go far from the basic formula.

This was appealing to us, fans of the series, but for the "Fast N Furious" generation it was too "old hat" and they were more into NFS: Underground games and such.

Still, I'd personally always pick OutRun over the newer-generation NFS games.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

I played all games at the game center when they came out. Probably the best one was OUTRUNNERS, it had the most content and most interesting characters and routes.

DECO developed the MegaDrive conversion, which wasn't very good. Proably the series best conversion back then was TURBO OUTRUN for the FM-TOWNS.

Regardless, you could play arcade perfect conversions today and you still will never know how awesome those games were on arcades.

If you lived in the 80's like me and sat on the original OUTRUN cabinet with the awesome controls and the music coming behind you. It was an experience that you just couldn't get anywhere else.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 214

#14 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14090 Posts

[QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]He's talking about the series not just the first game. Outrun primary competition once the Genesis came out was Top Gear. Which I believe Outrun was put on the Genesis the year the NSES came out.Eddie-Murphy48

Considering Outrun to sold close to a million, I am sure that the Genesis games that where ported during the SNES days where selling well.

No doubt though people brough road rash, but Top gear and Outrun where the only similar games, both even having fururistic editions.

No, racing games were very popular back then... in the arcades. Racing games weren't that huge on consoles simply because the arcades were big business, where gamers would often go to the arcades to play racing games in hydraulic vehicle-like cabinets rather than on a D-pad at home.

By the way, which version of Out Run sold close to a million units? 

EDIT:

Anyway, as has already been mentioned, Out Run (1986) was already quite retro by the time Top Gear (1992) came out. The time gap between them is almost an entire generation... though I wouldn't blame you for thinking otherwise, since Out Run's arcade graphics were a generation ahead by console standards (in fact, its Super Scaler arcade hardware was superior to the Mega Drive and SNES). Out Run's main contemporary rivals were Konami's WEC Le Mans (1986) and Namco's Final Lap (1987) in the arcade arena, and Squaresoft's NES exclusive Rad Racer (1987) in the console arena.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

[QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

Jag85

No, racing games were very popular back then... in the arcades. Racing games weren't that huge on consoles simply because the arcades were big business, where gamers would often go to the arcades to play racing games in hydraulic vehicle-like cabinets rather than on a D-pad at home.

EDIT:

Anyway, as has already been mentioned, Out Run (1986) was already quite retro by the time Top Gear (1992) came out. The time gap between them is almost an entire generation... though I wouldn't blame you for thinking otherwise, since Out Run's arcade graphics were a generation ahead by console standards (in fact, its Super Scaler arcade hardware was superior to the Mega Drive and SNES). Out Run's main contemporary rivals were Konami's WEC Le Mans (1986) and Namco's Final Lap (1987) in the arcade arena, and Squaresoft's NES exclusive Rad Racer (1987) in the console arena.

This thread is about series not ONE game. Most of the Outrun ports before 3D wise where during the 4th console era.

Also, Outrun 2 sold slightly over half a million, so i don;t think it died out as fast as Domino said.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Outrun 2 was really sweet.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
Outrun 2006 is my favorite pick up and play game on the PSP :)
JimmiCottam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JimmiCottam
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts
I had the Saturn version (Sega Ages FTW!) and I used to love it. What am I on about? I still do. I also have fond memories of the arcade version of OutRun 2 where I powerslided a red 288GTO around the majority of the track and trounced my opponent. Fun times
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silent_bomber

This thread is about series not ONE game. Most of the Outrun ports before 3D wise where during the 4th console era.Eddie-Murphy48

The console sequels were a non-entity though, only Outrun, and to a lessor extent Outrun 2 were big home console games.

Its like talking about Mortal Kombat vs Tekken 3, and Virtua Fighter 2, sure Mortal Kombat was still around at the time, but its heyday was over.

(Though If the Outrunners Genesis port had been better we wouldn't be having this conversation.)

Also, Outrun 2 sold slightly over half a million, so i don't think it died out as fast as Domino said.Eddie-Murphy48

Outrun 1 didn't die out fast, it was huge when it arrived in the arcades in 1986, and was one of the most popular racing games of the entire 80s, even three years later, when the 16-bit home computer version's came out in 1989 it was still huge, and still probably the most popular racing game. Go forward another 2 years to the belated Genesis port and it still had respectable levels of enduring popularity and love.

Sega just messed up with the porting of its sequels and then dropped the franchise, the fanbase for new Outrun's was still there, they'd just mismanaged things. By the time Outrun 2 turned up the popularity had waned a little, but it was still there even after so many years had passed (doesn't hurt that it was a great game too!).

Outrun was very popular in the late 80s, Sega somewhat messed up the home ports on 16-bit, then it made a comeback with Outrun 2

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]This thread is about series not ONE game. Most of the Outrun ports before 3D wise where during the 4th console era.Domino_slayer

The console sequels were a non-entity though, only Outrun, and to a lessor extent Outrun 2 were big home console games.

Its like talking about Mortal Kombat vs Tekken 3, and Virtua Fighter 2, sure Mortal Kombat was still around at the time, but its heyday was over.

(Though If the Outrunners Genesis port had been better we wouldn't be having this conversation.)

Also, Outrun 2 sold slightly over half a million, so i don't think it died out as fast as Domino said.Eddie-Murphy48

Outrun 1 didn't die out fast, it was huge when it arrived in the arcades in 1986, and was one of the most popular racing games of the entire 80s, even three years later, when the 16-bit home computer version's came out in 1989 it was still huge, and still probably the most popular racing game. Go forward another 2 years to the belated Genesis port and it still had respectable levels of enduring popularity and love.

Sega just messed up with the porting of its sequels and then dropped the franchise, the fanbase for new Outrun's was still there, they'd just mismanaged things. By the time Outrun 2 turned up the popularity had waned a little, but it was still there even after so many years had passed (doesn't hurt that it was a great game too!).

Outrun was very popular in the late 80s, Sega somewhat messed up the home ports on 16-bit, then it made a comeback with Outrun 2

Mortal Kombats Heydey wasn't over lol wut? MK sold more than every other fighting series during that time other than Tekken especially going into 6th gen where they had practically no competition for most of it.

The home ports sold ok though. I though you were implying that it was wahed up by the time outrun 2 came out.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 silent_bomber

Mortal Kombats Heydey wasn't over lol wut? MK sold more than every other fighting series during that time other than Tekken especially going into 6th gen where they had practically no competition for most of it.Eddie-Murphy48

Mortal Kombat 4 was the Mortal Kombat that competed with Tekken 3

Tekken 3 sold nearly 5 million, Mortal Kombat 4 wasn't even a million seller as far as I can see.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]Mortal Kombats Heydey wasn't over lol wut? MK sold more than every other fighting series during that time other than Tekken especially going into 6th gen where they had practically no competition for most of it.Domino_slayer

Tekken 3 sold nearly 5 million, Mortal Kombat 4 wasn't even a million seller as far as I can see.

I said other than Tekken.

Also MK4 was over a million seller, so I have no idea where you're getting that from. MK4 was successful, but after MK for is the drought until Deadly Allaince, which from then on until 2006 there was virtualy no competition to it in the fighting genre which is when it closed the gap and passes SF, and then SF and MK have been fighting second place ever since 2008, in which atm, MK is ahead.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22036 Posts

i have outrun 2 HD on xbla and i played the original outrun to death..

those 2 or my favs..

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

Eddie-Murphy48

EDIT:

This thread is about series not ONE game. Most of the Outrun ports before 3D wise where during the 4th console era.

Also, Outrun 2 sold slightly over half a million, so i don;t think it died out as fast as Domino said.

Most of the Out Run ports were during the 8-bit era. Besides the Sega Master System, Out Run was ported to nearly every 8-bit home computer in the 80s. Out Run 2 came out in 2003, long after Out Run's hey day. It was a great revival, but it doesn't tell us anything about the 16-bit era.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jag85

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]Also, Outrun 2 sold slightly over half a million, so i don't think it died out as fast as Domino said.Domino_slayer

The 8-bit home computer ports were also big hits. Here in the UK, for example, the 8-bit computer ports of Out Run sold 250,000 copies within two weeks, which was unheard of for a computer game in 1987.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jag85

[QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]Mortal Kombats Heydey wasn't over lol wut? MK sold more than every other fighting series during that time other than Tekken especially going into 6th gen where they had practically no competition for most of it.Eddie-Murphy48

Also MK4 was over a million seller, so I have no idea where you're getting that from. MK4 was successful, but after MK for is the drought until Deadly Allaince, which from then on until 2006 there was virtualy no competition to it in the fighting genre which is when it closed the gap and passes SF, and then SF and MK have been fighting second place ever since 2008, in which atm, MK is ahead.

Where did you hear about MK4 selling over a million? The only source I could find is the (rather questionable) VGChartz. Even then, VGChartz still lists MK4 as having been outsold by other 32-bit console fighting games like Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Blade, Smash Bros, WWF, WCW, etc. And that's just in the console arena. When it came to the arcades (the bread and butter of fighting games to this day), Mortal Kombat was all but dead. The late 90's was the era of 3D fighting games, with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat merely surviving as relics of an earlier era, just as Out Run was in the early 90's.

As for recent years, how is MK ahead in any way? When accounting for all the different versions (including Super / Arcade Editions and Komplete Edition), SF4 clearly outsold MK9 by a wide margin. Even if we exclude all the special editions, the original releases of SF4 and MK9 sold about the same number at best. And once again, that's only consoles we're talking about. In the arcade market (which is nowadays mostly in Asia), Mortal Kombat has no presence at all. MK9 is a great comeback, but MK still has a long way to go before it catches up with SF.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

[QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]Mortal Kombats Heydey wasn't over lol wut? MK sold more than every other fighting series during that time other than Tekken especially going into 6th gen where they had practically no competition for most of it.Jag85

Where did you hear about MK4 selling over a million? The only source I could find is the (rather questionable) VGChartz. Even then, VGChartz still lists MK4 as having been outsold by other 32-bit console fighting games like Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Blade, Smash Bros, WWF, WCW, etc. And that's just in the console arena. When it came to the arcades (the bread and butter of fighting games to this day), Mortal Kombat was all but dead. The late 90's was the era of 3D fighting games, with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat merely surviving as relics of an earlier era, just as Out Run was in the early 90's.

As for recent years, how is MK ahead in any way? When accounting for all the different versions (including Super / Arcade Editions and Komplete Edition), SF4 clearly outsold MK9 by a wide margin. Even if we exclude all the special editions, the original releases of SF4 and MK9 sold about the same number at best. And once again, that's only consoles we're talking about. In the arcade market (which is nowadays mostly in Asia), Mortal Kombat has no presence at all. MK9 is a great comeback, but MK still has a long way to go before it catches up with SF.

Ok, so now for long replies yay/

First of all Mortal Kombat 4(which was 3D) using your own source sold around 2.5 million. Teken is the only game that sold over that. Only one SF Alpha game(3) sold over a million, and the highest selling VF game sold almost the same.

Add in the fact other MK games released at the time: MK mythology sub-zero, sold over 1 million, as quality questioning as it was, Special forces sold over 200,000, and Trilogy sold near 3 million.

The only Fighting game that even came close to that was tekken, and this was also the only EEra Tekken sold very very well in, this is how Tekken pretty much gained First place, although the gap is closing, having Tekken 1,2, and 3, selling like 16 million.

NOW

Going into the 6th gen era. There was a gap between MK4 and MK Deadly Alliance Which was like 5 to 6 years, with only MK mythologies and Special Forces in between. While Midway was failing to bring in other franchises to be as successful.

Which Deadliy Allince sold 3.5 million or so from the words of Boon himself. Then Deception sold around 3 million, and armmageddon sold like around 2.5 ish million. And Shaolin Monks selling 1 million slightly over.

6th gen MK had practically no competition whatsoever. Most SF games at the time where either ports, Street Fighter EX3, SFIII third strike, which sadly did not do too well, and collection(s).

Tekken was the only actual real competition to MK like last time again. In fact, I believe it outsold it because I forgot about tag torunament one.

Tekken tag:4 million

Tekken 5:3.7

Tekken 4: 3.5

SF barely existed this genre outside MVs.C ports and MVs.C 2, Which contrary to popular believe is not as big of a hit seller as people think. Soucl Calibur came close with two selling around 4 million but 3 sold around 1.  GG was irrelevant, KOF was still nichem heck XIII is the series best selling title, and VF sold around 2 million.

THEN

7th gen I believe MK Vs. DC came out first selling around 2 million before SFIV came out.

Once SFIV came out, you are right, it did sell well, considering nearly 2 gens of no real SF game, that was to happen. Around 3 million units. With Both Super Street Fighter IVs and the 3DS version combined showing around 2 million. All versions of the arcade edition I don;t even believe sold 1 million. I would say around 6-7 million of everything SFIV combined.

MK Vs. DC sold slightly over 2 million, and is still being sold new if I recall correctly, MK9 sold 4 million. That is also around 6-7 million.

Tekken 6 and sold around 3 million, Tag nor Vs. SF have sold over a million.

So

The only thing you have said that is correct is that SF was a relic and was otudone by most fighters of the 90's. SF was in a sales slump with many ports and versions for two gens in a row, where both Mk did very well in.

I also find it interesting your own source has MK at second place as well, and for SF includes the spin-offs and corssovers that are different series. But I guess Mk vs. DC was included  for Mk so eh.

Either way, Mk is second place and has been for a while. Another good MK multiplat could potentiall be right next to or pass tekken given how the recpetion of the last 2 is spreading like fire.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silent_bomber

Only Virtua Fighter 2s Japanese sales are known, where the US is concerned they only know how many were bundled with Saturn's after the 3 free games offer started, Europe's sales are not known at all (I can tell you Virtua Fighter II kicked the crap out of MK4 in the UK).

VGChartz is not "his" source, he refered to them as "questionable", and for good reason, Nobody takes VGChartz's retro sales figures very seriously at all tbh.

Super Smash Bros seems to have sold 5 million odd.

MK4s actual sales might (arguably) be close to Soul Blade & Fighters Megamix but personally I think thats about it.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Eddie-Murphy48

Only Virtua Fighter 2s Japanese sales are known, where the US is concerned they only know how many were bundled with Saturn's after the 3 free games offer started, Europe's sales are not known at all (I can tell you Virtua Fighter II kicked the crap out of MK4 in the UK).

VGChartz is not "his" source, he refered to them as "questionable", and for good reason, Nobody takes VGChartz's retro sales figures very seriously at all tbh.

Super Smash Bros seems to have sold 5 million odd.

MK4s actual sales might (arguably) be close to Soul Blade & Fighters Megamix but personally I think thats about it.

Domino_slayer

Mk4 was a finacncial success. If MK Sub Zero was not considered a fiancial success or Special forces we all know that Mk4 sold more tha both of them to gain that status, and it did pretty darn good for arcade at the time to. VF2 sold less than Eu in general than the american version, so no, id id not kick MK4's crap.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

Outrun 2006 for PSP sucked. But maybe it should be ported to 3DS assuming the 3DS version would have improved framerate. Another good reason is so the online play servers would be rebooted.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 silent_bomber

Mk4 was a financial success.Eddie-Murphy48

I'm sure it was, it would've sold decently on the brand name alone (and to be fair it was a fairly fun game anyway).

Could you post your primary source for MK4 sales? the Magic Box doesn't have the game down as a million seller.

VF2 sold less than Eu in general than the american version, so no, id id not kick MK4's crap.Eddie-Murphy48

Being that I know for a fact that Sega didn't publish official sales figures for Virtua Fighter II for US, and Europe (the game sold 1.7 million in Japan according to Famitsu) I can only assume that you're making stuff up, or using VGChartz (which might as well be the same thing where it comes to retro). All I can tell you is that Virtua Fighter 2 did significantly more than 500,000 in the US, as Sega published sales figures for the Saturn during the period of the 3 free games deal when Virtua Fighter 2 was a pack-in title.

"Sega's "three pack" promotion helped boost sales in December alone to more than 500,000 Sega Saturn units, up 300 percent over November sales."Business Wire

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

You know Another48Hours is on the case when the discussion is Mortal Kombat and Tekken, while the topic title is OutRun.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

Eddie-Murphy48

First of all Mortal Kombat 4(which was 3D) using your own source sold around 2.5 million. Teken is the only game that sold over that. Only one SF Alpha game(3) sold over a million, and the highest selling VF game sold almost the same.

Add in the fact other MK games released at the time: MK mythology sub-zero, sold over 1 million, as quality questioning as it was, Special forces sold over 200,000, and Trilogy sold near 3 million.

The only Fighting game that even came close to that was tekken, and this was also the only EEra Tekken sold very very well in, this is how Tekken pretty much gained First place, although the gap is closing, having Tekken 1,2, and 3, selling like 16 million.

NOW

Going into the 6th gen era. There was a gap between MK4 and MK Deadly Alliance Which was like 5 to 6 years, with only MK mythologies and Special Forces in between. While Midway was failing to bring in other franchises to be as successful.

Which Deadliy Allince sold 3.5 million or so from the words of Boon himself. Then Deception sold around 3 million, and armmageddon sold like around 2.5 ish million. And Shaolin Monks selling 1 million slightly over.

6th gen MK had practically no competition whatsoever. Most SF games at the time where either ports, Street Fighter EX3, SFIII third strike, which sadly did not do too well, and collection(s).

Tekken was the only actual real competition to MK like last time again. In fact, I believe it outsold it because I forgot about tag torunament one.

SF barely existed this genre outside MVs.C ports and MVs.C 2, Which contrary to popular believe is not as big of a hit seller as people think. Soucl Calibur came close with two selling around 4 million but 3 sold around 1.  GG was irrelevant, KOF was still nichem heck XIII is the series best selling title, and VF sold around 2 million.

THEN

7th gen I believe MK Vs. DC came out first selling around 2 million before SFIV came out.

Once SFIV came out, you are right, it did sell well, considering nearly 2 gens of no real SF game, that was to happen. Around 3 million units. With Both Super Street Fighter IVs and the 3DS version combined showing around 2 million. All versions of the arcade edition I don;t even believe sold 1 million. I would say around 6-7 million of everything SFIV combined.

MK Vs. DC sold slightly over 2 million, and is still being sold new if I recall correctly, MK9 sold 4 million. That is also around 6-7 million.

So

The only thing you have said that is correct is that SF was a relic and was otudone by most fighters of the 90's. SF was in a sales slump with many ports and versions for two gens in a row, where both Mk did very well in.

I also find it interesting your own source has MK at second place as well, and for SF includes the spin-offs and corssovers that are different series. But I guess Mk vs. DC was included  for Mk so eh.

Either way, Mk is second place and has been for a while. Another good MK multiplat could potentiall be right next to or pass tekken given how the recpetion of the last 2 is spreading like fire.

It's funny how you're referring to VGChartz as "your own source" when it's pretty obvious the only reason I brought it up is because I thought that's the source you were using. If that's not the source you were using, then where else did you get the 1 million+ figure for MK4 from? Because last I checked, there are no sources outside of VGChartz claiming that MK4 sold over a million. If VGChartz is all you have, then I'm afraid your claims don't hold any worth.

Like Domino said, Magic Box (a far more reliable source for sales figures) does not list MK4 as a million seller. The only million sellers it lists from the PS1 & PS2 eras are MK Trilogy and Deadly Alliance. On the other hand, we have actual concrete evidence of Tekken 1-3 and Virtua Fighter 2 being multi-million sellers, and even for Street Fighter Alpha 3 being a million seller. Do you have any sources outside of VGChartz confirming that MK4 sold over a million copies?

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

NOW

THEN

So

It's funny how you're referring to VGChartz as "your own source" when it's pretty obvious the only reason I brought it up is because I thought that's the source you were using. If that's not the source you were using, then where else did you get the 1 million+ figure for MK4 from? Because last I checked, there are no sources outside of VGChartz claiming that MK4 sold over a million. If VGChartz is all you have, then I'm afraid your claims don't hold any worth.

Like Domino said, Magic Box (a far more reliable source for sales figures) does not list MK4 as a million seller. The only million sellers it lists from the PS1 & PS2 eras are MK Trilogy and Deadly Alliance. On the other hand, we have actual concrete evidence of Tekken 1-3 and Virtua Fighter 2 being multi-million sellers, and even for Street Fighter Alpha 3 being a million seller. Do you have any sources outside of VGChartz confirming that MK4 sold over a million copies?

Concrete evidence? Where?

Anyway, Ther were two versions of Mk4 on the PS and N64, with the PS version having tons of FMV and high production value, and the fact they released MKgold ofr the DC which was an updated version of the same games, so using common sense I am pretty sure that game threw around a million or two. Especially since it wasn't until after that game Midway was having some issues.

You also did not stop my 6th gen point at all where Mk and Tekken where the only ones that were valid at that time, SF barely existed, Soul Calibur ii was the only other alternative, KOF was still niche, Virtua Fighter went down in the ranks, and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 didn;t sell as well as people are led to believe.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

NOW

THEN

So

Eddie-Murphy48

Anyway, Ther were two versions of Mk4 on the PS and N64, with the PS version having tons of FMV and high production value, and the fact they released MKgold ofr the DC which was an updated version of the same games, so using common sense I am pretty sure that game threw around a million or two. Especially since it wasn't until after that game Midway was having some issues.

You also did not stop my 6th gen point at all where Mk and Tekken where the only ones that were valid at that time, SF barely existed, Soul Calibur ii was the only other alternative, KOF was still niche, Virtua Fighter went down in the ranks, and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 didn;t sell as well as people are led to believe.

I'm sorry, but there just aren't any reliable sources out there to confirm your claim that MK4 sold over a million copies. As far as reliable sources go, the only MK game that sold over a million copies between MK Trilogy and MK9 is Deadly Alliance, and that's pretty much it.

As for the 6th gen, along with the Tekken games, Soulcalibur II and the Dragon Ball Z games also outsold MK Deadly Alliance. And once again, that's just consoles we're talking about here. When it comes to the equally important arcade market, Mortal Kombat has been irrelevant since the late 90s.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

I'm sorry, but there just aren't any reliable sources out there to confirm your claim that MK4 sold over a million copies. As far as reliable sources go, the only MK game that sold over a million copies between MK Trilogy and MK9 is Deadly Alliance, and that's pretty much it.

As for the 6th gen, along with the Tekken games, Soulcalibur II and the Dragon Ball Z games also outsold MK Deadly Alliance. And once again, that's just consoles we're talking about here. When it comes to the equally important arcade market, Mortal Kombat has been irrelevant since the late 90s.

I like how everysource has Tekken as the best selling fighitng franchise with only SF and MK below it yet you cotninue to stubbornly downplay things for no reason. But ok.

Frist of all the Arcade market was not important in the late 90's Nothing had as much impact on the arcades as the gens before with that said:

Ed boon himself stated that Deadly alliance sold 3.5 Million: http://www.nowgamer.com/features/921573/mortal_kombat_ed_boon_interview.html

It had been reported DECEPTIOn was the fastest selling MK game selling 1 million units during it's release week:http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/mortalkombatdeception/news.html?sid=6110321&mode=all and it sold 1.9 million units a year later after getting a price cut for all console versions: http://www.gamespot.com/news/mk-deception-slashes-price-6135817 and that was only around 2 years. So that game clealry sold over 2 million especially with 3 console versions out. Not to mentioned the PSP version"Unchained" which did well as well.

Armaggeddon sold 1 million in the same year it was released: http://www.gamespot.com/news/mk-armageddon-sells-a-million-6163898 So we all know that game had legs.

Shoalin Monks also sold a million during the time of Armaggeddon: http://www.gamespot.com/news/mk-armageddon-sells-a-million-6163898

There are quite a few results, even on google, that have Mythologies sub-zero at 850,000 (in the U.S. alone) thus I can assume it passed a million: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+did+moretal+kombat+mythologies+sale&aq=f&oq=how+much+did+moretal+kombat+mythologies+sale&aqs=chrome.0.57j0.6383j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=mortal+kombat+mythology+850%2C000&oq=mortal+kombat+mythology+850%2C000&gs_l=serp.12...0.0.3.334554.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c..8.psy-ab.liUfWaf2Sy0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45107431,d.dmg&fp=11279a5a4563ae8e&biw=1600&bih=756

And MK s. DC sold 1.8 million within it's first year, and has been selling since 2008:http://www.gamespot.com/news/6203670.html

And yet you claim only Trilogy and DA sold over a million in between MK9? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO)LOLOLOLOLOL.

The Only numbers we don;t have are MK4's, MK has bee selling well in all cases since the first game came out other than Special Forces. MK4 came out when MK was getting box office hits at the movies and such. and the fact Mk4 was on both PS1, and N64, as well as the fact MKgold was released, which is the DC version of 4, tells me that Mk4 was very well sold and profitable. Although you will probably not use common sense and ig nore that fact. Either way, the majority of MK games have sold over a million.

Tag Tournament and SCII was the only fighting games 6th gen to beat MKDA.

DBZ was just kicking off that gen, SF was irrelevant, VF's 4 was the only relevant VF game, GG was still niche, KOF had tons of games and still had not broadened it's audience. SCii may have did well, but 3 did not even take a 3rd of II's success, what other fighting games am I missing?

MK had no competition 6th gen other than Tekken as stated before.

MK also did wuite well 5th gen. Where Street Fighter was also Irrelevant and Tekken was once again the only franchise doing as well if not better.

I don't see why it;s hard to accept that MK is 2nd place next to Tekken, who most of it;s sales an popularity was from 1-3.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Outrun was always pretty awesome. I wish Yu Suzuki didn't really stop making games in the mid-2000s. Nobody could create a facepaced arcade fun quite like him. 

Damn did I love Super Hang On. 

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nameless12345

Outrun was always pretty awesome. I wish Yu Suzuki didn't really stop making games in the mid-2000s. Nobody could create a facepaced arcade fun quite like him. 

Damn did I love Super Hang On. 

VendettaRed07

Super Hang-On was great too.

Pretty hard as well. (not that it would be a bad thing)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

Eddie-Murphy48

I like how everysource has Tekken as the best selling fighitng franchise with only SF and MK below it yet you cotninue to stubbornly downplay things for no reason. But ok.

Frist of all the Arcade market was not important in the late 90's Nothing had as much impact on the arcades as the gens before with that said:

Ed boon himself stated that Deadly alliance sold 3.5 Million: http://www.nowgamer.com/features/921573/mortal_kombat_ed_boon_interview.html

It had been reported DECEPTIOn was the fastest selling MK game selling 1 million units during it's release week:http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/mortalkombatdeception/news.html?sid=6110321&mode=all and it sold 1.9 million units a year later after getting a price cut for all console versions: http://www.gamespot.com/news/mk-deception-slashes-price-6135817 and that was only around 2 years. So that game clealry sold over 2 million especially with 3 console versions out. Not to mentioned the PSP version"Unchained" which did well as well.

Armaggeddon sold 1 million in the same year it was released: http://www.gamespot.com/news/mk-armageddon-sells-a-million-6163898 So we all know that game had legs.

Shoalin Monks also sold a million during the time of Armaggeddon: http://www.gamespot.com/news/mk-armageddon-sells-a-million-6163898

There are quite a few results, even on google, that have Mythologies sub-zero at 850,000 (in the U.S. alone) thus I can assume it passed a million: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+did+moretal+kombat+mythologies+sale&aq=f&oq=how+much+did+moretal+kombat+mythologies+sale&aqs=chrome.0.57j0.6383j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=mortal+kombat+mythology+850%2C000&oq=mortal+kombat+mythology+850%2C000&gs_l=serp.12...0.0.3.334554.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c..8.psy-ab.liUfWaf2Sy0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45107431,d.dmg&fp=11279a5a4563ae8e&biw=1600&bih=756

And MK s. DC sold 1.8 million within it's first year, and has been selling since 2008:http://www.gamespot.com/news/6203670.html

And yet you claim only Trilogy and DA sold over a million in between MK9? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO)LOLOLOLOLOL.

The Only numbers we don;t have are MK4's, MK has bee selling well in all cases since the first game came out other than Special Forces. MK4 came out when MK was getting box office hits at the movies and such. and the fact Mk4 was on both PS1, and N64, as well as the fact MKgold was released, which is the DC version of 4, tells me that Mk4 was very well sold and profitable. Although you will probably not use common sense and ig nore that fact. Either way, the majority of MK games have sold over a million.

DBZ was just kicking off that gen, SF was irrelevant, VF's 4 was the only relevant VF game, GG was still niche, KOF had tons of games and still had not broadened it's audience. SCii may have did well, but 3 did not even take a 3rd of II's success, what other fighting games am I missing?

MK also did wuite well 5th gen. Where Street Fighter was also Irrelevant and Tekken was once again the only franchise doing as well if not better.

I don't see why it;s hard to accept that MK is 2nd place next to Tekken, who most of it;s sales an popularity was from 1-3.

Nice to know you've finally started presenting some reliable sources. Nevertheless, all this shows is that it was not until the 128-bit era that MK started becoming somewhat relevant again, since there's isn't any known million sellers between MK Trilogy and Deadly Alliance. As for overall console software franchise sales, MK isn't #2, but it's #4 (32.5 million) behind Tekken (41.5 million), Dragon Ball Z (38 million), and Street Fighter (34 million).

But like I said, console software sales alone don't tell us about overall success. The arcades only declined in the West in the late 90s, but they are still an important market in Asia to this day. In fact, the arcade markets in East Asia (including Japan, China, and Korea) are larger than the console markets down there. Fighting games like Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, King of Fighters, etc. are still profitable in the Asian arcade markets to this day. That is why their console ports often don't sell as well in Japan as they do in the US, since Japanese fans are already playing them in the arcades.

Anyway, back on topic: How is Mortal Kombat relevant to Out Run again? If you're trying to say they were both still selling well after their primes, that doesn't really prove much. Their sequels may have had some continued commercial success from the brand name alone, but the critical reception to the sequels were mediocre at best. Claiming that a SNES racing game is better game than the Out Run sequels, or that any PS1/PS2 fighting game is better than the MK sequels of that era, isn't something to be proud of.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

Nice to know you've finally started presenting some reliable sources. Nevertheless, all this shows is that it was not until the 128-bit era that MK started becoming somewhat relevant again, since there's isn't any known million sellers between MK Trilogy and Deadly Alliance. As for overall console software franchise sales, MK isn't #2, but it's #4 (32.5 million) behind Tekken (41.5 million), Dragon Ball Z (38 million), and Street Fighter (34 million).

But like I said, console software sales alone don't tell us about overall success. The arcades only declined in the West in the late 90s, but they are still an important market in Asia to this day. In fact, the arcade markets in East Asia (including Japan, China, and Korea) are larger than the console markets down there. Fighting games like Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, King of Fighters, etc. are still profitable in the Asian arcade markets to this day. That is why their console ports often don't sell as well in Japan as they do in the US, since Japanese fans are already playing them in the arcades.

Anyway, back on topic: How is Mortal Kombat relevant to Out Run again? If you're trying to say they were both still selling well after their primes, that doesn't really prove much. Their sequels may have had some continued commercial success from the brand name alone, but the critical reception to the sequels were mediocre at best. Claiming that a SNES racing game is better game than the Out Run sequels, or that any PS1/PS2 fighting game is better than the MK sequels of that era, isn't something to be proud of.

1.Where are you getting your numbers from? Also DBX has sold around 38 million, but we are talking fighting games, and DBX has sold below all 3 in fighting games. All reliable sources even using goole state that MK passed SF since SFXTekken.

2.No they are not. While the arcade market in Japan is still decent, SNK themse4lves had troubles which is why they canned the arcade support ofr KOF games to focus on the console release of XIII. But what does this have to do with anything? Arcade sales go into total sales of the franchise.

3.You are the one that brought MK up. But your point about the critical reception being mediocre for MK is full of **** since it sells well and DA had thhe biggest torunament in certain countries in history even beating SF2(Examples: Pakistan, etc.)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

Eddie-Murphy48

1.Where are you getting your numbers from? Also DBX has sold around 38 million, but we are talking fighting games, and DBX has sold below all 3 in fighting games. All reliable sources even using goole state that MK passed SF since SFXTekken.

2.No they are not. While the arcade market in Japan is still decent, SNK themse4lves had troubles which is why they canned the arcade support ofr KOF games to focus on the console release of XIII. But what does this have to do with anything? Arcade sales go into total sales of the franchise.

3.You are the one that brought MK up. But your point about the critical reception being mediocre for MK is full of **** since it sells well and DA had thhe biggest torunament in certain countries in history even beating SF2(Examples: Pakistan, etc.)

1. Here you go:

• Tekken: 40 million as of 2011 + 1.4 million SF X Tekken (2012) + 1.35 million Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (2012) = 42.75 million total
  • Street Fighter: 34 million as of 2012
  • Mortal Kombat: 26 million as of 2007 + 1.9 million MK vs DC (2008-2009) + 3 million MK9 (2011) = 30.9 million total

As for Dragon Ball Z, you're actually right that the Budokai fighting sub-series sold much less than the other three (my bad), so I'll leave that one out. Nevertheless, the point still stands that Mortal Kombat as a franchise has sold less software units than both Tekken and Street Fighter.

2. The arcade market in Japan isn't just decent, but is even larger than the console market there. As of 2011, the Japanese arcade market is worth 495.8 billion yen ($5.06 billion), whereas the home video game software market there is worth $3.5 billion (Source: Capcom). As for total franchise sales, those obviously refer to video game software sales, and therefore can never include arcade games, which use a completely different revenue model. Arcade game success is usually measured in terms of overall revenues (like online games) rather than unit sales.

3. When did I bring up MK? It was you and Domino who brought up MK, not me. As for critical reception, go look up GameSpot, GameRanking, and Metacritic, and the poor to mediocre critical reception of most MK games released between MK Trilogy and MK9 is as clear as day. And what does Pakistan have to do with anything? The largest Asian gaming markets are obviously the East Asian ones (i.e. Japan, South Korea, and China). India might eventually catch up, but Pakistan has a long way to go.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] Nice to know you've finally started presenting some reliable sources. Nevertheless, all this shows is that it was not until the 128-bit era that MK started becoming somewhat relevant again, since there's isn't any known million sellers between MK Trilogy and Deadly Alliance. As for overall console software franchise sales, MK isn't #2, but it's #4 (32.5 million) behind Tekken (41.5 million), Dragon Ball Z (38 million), and Street Fighter (34 million).

Jag85

1. Here you go:

• Tekken: 40 million as of 2011 + 1.4 million SF X Tekken (2012) + 1.35 million Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (2012) = 42.75 million total
  • Street Fighter: 34 million as of 2012
  • Mortal Kombat: 26 million as of 2007 + 1.9 million MK vs DC (2008-2009) + 3 million MK9 (2011) = 30.9 million total

As for Dragon Ball Z, you're actually right that the Budokai fighting sub-series sold much less than the other three (my bad), so I'll leave that one out. Nevertheless, the point still stands that Mortal Kombat as a franchise has sold less software units than both Tekken and Street Fighter.

2. The arcade market in Japan isn't just decent, but is even larger than the console market there. As of 2011, the Japanese arcade market is worth 495.8 billion yen ($5.06 billion), whereas the home video game software market there is worth $3.5 billion (Source: Capcom). As for total franchise sales, those obviously refer to video game software sales, and therefore can never include arcade games, which use a completely different revenue model. Arcade game success is usually measured in terms of overall revenues (like online games) rather than unit sales.

3. When did I bring up MK? It was you and Domino who brought up MK, not me. As for critical reception, go look up GameSpot, GameRanking, and Metacritic, and the poor to mediocre critical reception of most MK games released between MK Trilogy and MK9 is as clear as day. And what does Pakistan have to do with anything? The largest Asian gaming markets are obviously the East Asian ones (i.e. Japan, South Korea, and China). India might eventually catch up, but Pakistan has a long way to go.

Before I even begin with how dumb you are, After the MK Trilogy(Mk4 is not on MC) the ratings are as follows on Metacritic: Deadly Alliance:81, MK Torunament Edition(GBA): 75, Deception: 81, Shaolin Monks: 78, Armageddon: 77, Ultimate MK(DS): 73, MK Vs. DC: 76, MK9:86, MK9komplete:88.

These are "full of mediocre scores" as you say? Lol, silly jag. Why you trolling meh?

Back to the other issue:

SF did not sell 34 million units, just like it's impossible in THAT same link that MEgaman sold 29 million.

The SF sales include Marvel Vs. Capcom which are no SF games.

Megaman 2, 3, BN4, MMX, are the only 4 games that sold a million. There are 64 Megaman games that are retail units that are not bundled, and are not cameos in other games, and aren't arcade games, since evidentally you yourself stated they don;t count as sales, regardless, the best selling megaman game is MM2 with 1.5 or so, the lowest million seller is 1.08 but let's say just 1 for simpleness. This means all other of the 64 Megaman games would have had to sell around 400,000 units each, every single one of them, to get that number. THAT IS ******* IMPOSSIBLE.

The SF sales include other games not SF. Let's look at this another route:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Capcom_games

As of 2008, SF sales where 25 million.

Let's say SFIV sold 4 million for the heck of it, and that made it go to 29 million. 

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/07/street-fighter-x-tekken-600000-units-short-of-sales-expectations/

Capcom stated that SF X Tekken sold 1.4 million.

That is around 30-to031 million.

All of this is Capcoms own numbers.

This means SF franchise includes: Marvel Vs. Capcom 1, 2, 3, Canon Spike, and Namco X Capcom. Which it seems under the street fighter name capcom had placed these in doing research. Which I find out since they don;t do that with any ot the SNk vs. Capcom cross overs. So the SF sales are BS.

If it was Strret Fighter vs. Namco or Marvel or etc. than you could claim it is a SF game(some would still argue that.)

I need more reliable figures sir.

Not to mention some of the MK games don't include other countries sales from charts I anyone could find (MK2?) There is too much of a lack of information. The most I can give to you is a tie. This is as bad as Sony using PS2 numbers combining with the PS3.

On a final note your arcade theory is WRONG. Yes, Arcade are profitable for some but they are not that profitable. If anything arcades are the equivelant, a bit lower howeve, pf PC gaming here in the states, while Handhelds replace consoles of here in the states. Arcade are still common in japan, but they don;t bring in all this money you imply when SNK keept reporting losses every five seconds, and so have others.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jag85

Before I even begin with how dumb you are, After the MK Trilogy(Mk4 is not on MC) the ratings are as follows on Metacritic: Deadly Alliance:81, MK Torunament Edition(GBA): 75, Deception: 81, Shaolin Monks: 78, Armageddon: 77, Ultimate MK(DS): 73, MK Vs. DC: 76, MK9:86, MK9komplete:88.

These are "full of mediocre scores" as you say? Lol, silly jag. Why you trolling meh?

Eddie-Murphy48

Ooh, it looks like little Eddie is getting real mad... But seriously, talk to me like a man, not some desparate little boy who thinks cursing and swearing is going to get him more attention...

According to MetaCritic, anything below 75 (you know, the yellow coloured scores) is an average (i.e. mediocre) score. And according to MC's seach engine, half the MK games they've listed have bad to mediocre scores.

And MC doesn't even cover a lot of other MK games. According to GameRankings' larger listing, a lot more MK games have bad to mediocre scores.

Back to the other issue: 

SF did not sell 34 million units, just like it's impossible in THAT same link that MEgaman sold 29 million.

Megaman 2, 3, BN4, MMX, are the only 4 games that sold a million. There are 64 Megaman games that are retail units that are not bundled, and are not cameos in other games, and aren't arcade games, since evidentally you yourself stated they don;t count as sales, regardless, the best selling megaman game is MM2 with 1.5 or so, the lowest million seller is 1.08 but let's say just 1 for simpleness. This means all other of the 64 Megaman games would have had to sell around 400,000 units each, every single one of them, to get that number. THAT IS ******* IMPOSSIBLE.

Let's say SFIV sold 4 million for the heck of it, and that made it go to 29 million. 

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/07/street-fighter-x-tekken-600000-units-short-of-sales-expectations/

This means SF franchise includes: Marvel Vs. Capcom 1, 2, 3, Canon Spike, and Namco X Capcom. Which it seems under the street fighter name capcom had placed these in doing research. Which I find out since they don;t do that with any ot the SNk vs. Capcom cross overs. So the SF sales are BS.

If it was Strret Fighter vs. Namco or Marvel or etc. than you could claim it is a SF game(some would still argue that.)

Not to mention some of the MK games don't include other countries sales from charts I anyone could find (MK2?) There is too much of a lack of information. The most I can give to you is a tie. This is as bad as Sony using PS2 numbers combining with the PS3.

Eddie-Murphy48

Did you even bother looking at who that site belongs to? Here, let me refresh your memory...

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/salesdata.html

So here we have Capcom themselves officially confirming that the Street Fighter series sold 34 million software units... and yet here you are trying to dispute official figures and even going as far as claiming Capcom themselves are an unreliable source? And then to back up your claims, you use far less reliable sources, even using a VGSales Wiki page! If you seriously think VGSales Wiki is a more reliable source than Capcom themselves, then you clearly have no idea what a reliable source even is.

On a final note your arcade theory is WRONG. Yes, Arcade are profitable for some but they are not that profitable. If anything arcades are the equivelant, a bit lower howeve, pf PC gaming here in the states, while Handhelds replace consoles of here in the states. Arcade are still common in japan, but they don;t bring in all this money you imply when SNK keept reporting losses every five seconds, and so have others.

Eddie-Murphy48

I've already proven that the Japanese arcade gaming market is larger than the Japanese console gaming market with a reliable source. Why even bother trying to dispute it? Just because you don't think Capcom are a reliable source?

As for SNK, do you have any sources to back up your claim that they are making losses? Even if they are, that's just one company. It tells us nothing about the arcade divisions for other companies. Last I checked, Square Enix's Taito arcade division was doing better than their console gaming division. Likewise, the arcade divisions of Capcom and Namco also seem to be doing well.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

Ooh, it looks like little Eddie is getting real mad... But seriously, talk to me like a man, not some desparate little boy who thinks cursing and swearing is going to get him more attention...

According to MetaCritic, anything below 75 (you know, the yellow coloured scores) is an average (i.e. mediocre) score. And according to MC's seach engine, half the MK games they've listed have bad to mediocre scores.

And MC doesn't even cover a lot of other MK games. According to GameRankings' larger listing, a lot more MK games have bad to mediocre scores.

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

Back to the other issue: 

Jag85

Did you even bother looking at who that site belongs to? Here, let me refresh your memory...

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/salesdata.html

So here we have Capcom themselves officially confirming that the Street Fighter series sold 34 million software units... and yet here you are trying to dispute official figures and even going as far as claiming Capcom themselves are an unreliable source? And then to back up your claims, you use far less reliable sources, even using a VGSales Wiki page! If you seriously think VGSales Wiki is a more reliable source than Capcom themselves, then you clearly have no idea what a reliable source even is.

Eddie-Murphy48

I've already proven that the Japanese arcade gaming market is larger than the Japanese console gaming market with a reliable source. Why even bother trying to dispute it? Just because you don't think Capcom are a reliable source?

As for SNK, do you have any sources to back up your claim that they are making losses? Even if they are, that's just one company. It tells us nothing about the arcade divisions for other companies. Last I checked, Square Enix's Taito arcade division was doing better than their console gaming division. Likewise, the arcade divisions of Capcom and Namco also seem to be doing well.

Those Capcom links didn't say anything about arcades.

Also yes Taito is doing better than the console devision which has HIGHER DEV COSTS LOL.

As I said, i never said arcades where BAD, I said they are NOT AS good as you say when the Handheld market is as big as the console market in the U.S. both of which make way more profit by like 3x than the japanese arcade market. About on par with PC devlopment in the U.S. Which is not exactly that "good".

Not saying arcade gaming will die anytime soon or anything.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jag85

Those Capcom links didn't say anything about arcades.

Also yes Taito is doing better than the console devision which has HIGHER DEV COSTS LOL.

As I said, i never said arcades where BAD, I said they are NOT AS good as you say when the Handheld market is as big as the console market in the U.S. both of which make way more profit by like 3x than the japanese arcade market. About on par with PC devlopment in the U.S. Which is not exactly that "good".

Not saying arcade gaming will die anytime soon or anything.

Eddie-Murphy48

I already posted the link before:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/market.html

As of 2011:

Japanese home gaming market - $3.5 billion

Japanese arcade gaming market - 495.8 billion yen ($5.1 billion)