Operation Flashpoint Red River

This topic is locked from further discussion.

perkinsj26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 perkinsj26
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts

anyone else interesting in playing this on Xbox? I am having a ton of fun with it but the team AI goes a bit wonky to often.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#2 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
I avoided Red River because I heard it was a tremendous disappointment.
perkinsj26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 perkinsj26

actually its a ton of fun, the AI does go a bit nuts now and then

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
I hate this game with a burning passion. I even submitted a review for it. Dragon Rising was so much better.
GamecenterHQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 GamecenterHQ
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

But it is pretty. And authentic in the sense that you can't soak up 13 bullets.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

GamecenterHQ
Dragon Rising was just as authentic, look it up on Youtube. It's so much better man.
Hortey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hortey
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts

GamecenterHQ

Not authentic, but closer than most single player games. Dragon rising had much more authenticity.

RR is prettier than DR, that's where the advantages pretty much stop though.

perkinsj26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 perkinsj26

I do need to try it with some co-op but played through the single player and it was a good deal of fun. If you like sniping this is a decent game for hanging back and killing people from crazy distances across the map.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

"Dragon Rising" is my absolute favorite military FPS ... Setting that game on Hardcore is a definite challenge, I love challenging my CoD friends to play it. Ever seen grown men cry?

:lol:

I'm definitely going to pick up "Red River" eventually, even though it looks a little CoD-i-tized...

o-Ubique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 o-Ubique
I got RR free when I picked up my new PS3. To be honest, I wasn't really expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. Having not played previous Operation Flashpoint games, I can't really compare, but I appreciated the fact you can't just charge headlong into battle, soak up a clip of ammunition, hide, and regenerate health. The AI isn't perfect, and I often found myself waiting for them to catch up, but the overall command you have over your squad really made the game for me.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonkeySpot

I got RR free when I picked up my new PS3. To be honest, I wasn't really expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. Having not played previous Operation Flashpoint games, I can't really compare, but I appreciated the fact you can't just charge headlong into battle, soak up a clip of ammunition, hide, and regenerate health. The AI isn't perfect, and I often found myself waiting for them to catch up, but the overall command you have over your squad really made the game for me.o-Ubique

You should definitely pick up "Dragon Rising". It's my favorite tactical shooter of all time.

o-Ubique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 o-Ubique

I will be sure to when I find myself with a few spare tenners :)

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonkeySpot

I got a copy of "Operation Flashpoint: Red River", and after playing it for about 20 minutes, I ejected it and went back to playing "Dragon Rising".

"OFP: Red River" has taken a page from the "Bad Company" play book, so at least at the start of the game, there are lengthy scenes where you're driving around in the pretty Afghanistan dessert, with pretty lens flairs, and having to listen to crotch-grabbing, chest-pounding, flag-waving BS out of your Sarge & squadmates until you'd give anything to put a bullet through their front teeth and SHUT THEM UP. Then you get out of the convoy, shoot a few bad guys, and you mount up again.The whole beginning of the game feels SO much like "Bad Company", that I hope the focus changes, or this game will be collecting dust really quickly. Why they felt the need to make a bunch of foul-mouthed "players" your squad instead of efficient, quiet killers of "Dragon Rising", I will never understand.

:(

Perhaps real Marines ARE foul-mouthed and brag constantly, but what it ends up being is just a cultural condemnation - If you're American, you grab your cratch and shout "****-YEAH!" constantly, view the world as your toilet, and worship the philosophies of Duke Nukem. They might have been a bit stiff, and unbalanced in th original recordings, but at least the voices in "Dragon Rising" didn't make you sympathize with the enemy forces for wanting to kill everything in our uniform, for the Greater Good.

Team AI seems to have taken a turn for the worse, as your guys will stand in the open, taking fire while you duck behind cover, forgetting formation assignments, and just generally being idiots... I MUST figure out how to turn off all the "assists", and the HUD - It's ridiculously distracting, and the lead-you-around-by-the-nose stuff is insane.

Walk over here.

Now, over here.

Now, twenty feet from here.

OK, now fifteen feet that way.

Stop.

Put Your Right Foot In.

Take Your Right Foot Out.

Put your right foot in, and you shake it all about...

... Do the hokey-pokey and you-

What was really great about "Dragon Rising", is how much more sim the game is from other FPS, and squad-based shooters around it on the shelf... You were left with a map, your squad, and you had to make your way. It's very realistic, and in that way, it stood apart from other FPS, and squad shooters. "Red River" seems to want to close that gap between franchises, by assuming some of the trappings of the more successful military games of late, and that's honestly too bad.

I'm hoping that I can dig into the options menu and set some things straight, but as of right now, I would warn folks off of this game. Get "Dragon Rising" instead. It may not be as pretty, but the depth of that game MORE than makes up for it's short-comings.

Avatar image for 240185521134887306932137534460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 240185521134887306932137534460
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

I got a copy of "Operation Flashpoint: Red River", and after playing it for about 20 minutes, I ejected it and went back to playing "Dragon Rising".

Perhaps real Marines ARE foul-mouthed and brag constantly, but what it ends up being is just a cultural condemnation - If you're American, you grab your cratch and shout "****-YEAH!" constantly, view the world as your toilet, and worship the philosophies of Duke Nukem. They might have been a bit stiff, and unbalanced in th original recordings, but at least the voices in "Dragon Rising" didn't make you sympathize with the enemy forces for wanting to kill everything in our uniform, for the Greater Good.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Could not have said it better myself sir.

I bought OPFRR, and after 5-10 mintues, i was beyond appalled. The womans voice will never leave my head, it wakes me up at night, and has lead me to loose all of my freinds. The profanity & simplicity was unreal. The only thing that they did, which exceeded DR's standards, was ...........................................................................?

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonkeySpot

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Could not have said it better myself sir.

I bought OPFRR, and after 5-10 mintues, i was beyond appalled. The womans voice will never leave my head, it wakes me up at night, and has lead me to loose all of my freinds. The profanity & simplicity was unreal. The only thing that they did, which exceeded DR's standards, was .....?

Poopenshnapple

... The Graphics.

It's definitely a better LOOKING game, but that's about all. Really too bad. I haven't gone back to it since posting that mini-review...

:P

Are you a DR fan? Did you play the first one, or did you start with "Red River"?