Open world games when to do main story missions?.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Problem i have with open world games such as JustCause 2 Farcry 3 and many others is when to do the main Game missions. I no its only a game and its up to you when to do the main story but what when is it best to do the main story in any open world game where you have other side missions too. Do you just do some side missions then a the main story or do all side missions then the main story or do the story and then side missions?.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

Problem i have with open world games such as JustCause 2 Farcry 3 and many others is when to do the main Game missions. I no its only a game and its up to you when to do the main story but what when is it best to do the main story in any open world game where you have other side missions too. Do you just do some side missions then a the main story or do all side missions then the main story or do the story and then side missions?.

skipper847

When I first started playing Skyrim I was a bit overwhelmed with the open world as well and was unsure as to how I should approach my quests.However, once I started getting the hang of the quest log I started knocking out the side quests more and more. I eventually found better weapons and armor while also getting richer. Plus, I was able to connect some of the side stories in with the main story line and it made the experience that much more richer.

Since I got more fulfillment by doing the side quests first and then hitting the main story with Skyrim, I can say that will be my approach going forward. Side quests first then main story line.

Besides, I can't shake the feeling that the game is officially "over" when I have completed the main story line.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#3 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Depends on the quality of the story. I usually just do what I want and complete quests as I come upon them. I try not to backlog too many side quests if I can help it.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

I usually wing it as I go. No plans. Nothing methodical. More often than not, when deciding what to do next, I'll just look at the map and see which mission has the closest start point and wander in that direction, not bothering to pay attention if it's a side quest or main story.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts
Depends on the game and the mood I'm in. Sometimes I'm very interested in moving the story along and sometimes I'm more interested in doing the sidequests. Sometimes I do as many sidequests as I can because it may make the main story game easier. It all just boils down to how I particularly feel like playing the game at any given time.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I usually just stick to the main quest, only stopping for side missions when it's close by or when I think the reward will be pretty good. Of course, that sort of causes side missions to pile up. So then every once in a while I'll put the main quest on hold in order to clear out my side mission list a little bit.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I usually do a whole bunch of sidequests first, figuring that the main quest is probably going to be the best part of the game so I've got that to look forward to. When I finally get around to the main quest I'll usually play it straight through, because if there's any complexity to the story I'll probably forget what all the details are if I'm always taking breaks to do a bunch of sidequests.

I also enjoy having a massively powerful, high-level character when I finally do the main quest.

But of course you can do just the opposite if you like - it's all about YOU enjoying it, not doing it somebody else's way.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I thought Far Cry 3 promotes the player to play throught the story while doing secondary objectives on the way. At least that is how I played.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
Depends a lot on the game. In many OW games you are forced to play the story to unlock the map and more skills. In those games I typically only do story missions for a while until I feel I have unlocked a good portion of the game (like Assassins Creed 3). Then I try to mix in some sidemissions. I find that if you leave all the side stuff to the end, it usually becomes a bit of a chore.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I do the main story first always.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

I usually start out doing a few main missions like about 8 or so just to get a firm fit into the world (with AC3 you need to get past DNA sequence 5) and open some of the things that may be locked due to start game tutorial stuff. Then I will start exploring the map a bit and doing some side missions. After that I will just go back and forth between them, a few missions or (DNA sequence in AC3) then a few more side stuff. This reduces the need to do everything at once when your done with the main story and keeps the game from going stale.

It really depends on you though some people are story driven and want to get that done first.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

This is an interesting topic, because I always found open world games featuring a story that has a sense of urgency to seem silly giving you all these side quests to distract you from the main quest.

In terms of games like Skyrim, it doesn't really matter right at the beginning. Stop Alduin, or don't, whatever. If you don't want to do the main quest, you still get a rich world to explore at your leisure. Now personally, I was nearing the end of the game and then just went off and became a master assassin and leader of the Thieve's Guild, and no one seemed to care that I gave up the idea of saving the world from certain disaster, but it fits what the game wants you to do.

Now, Arkham City had this race against time story in which you could just ignore it for other race against time quests. Well, not sure what the Joker is up to, I definitely have to stop Strange, but if I don't do these damn puzzles then The Riddler is going to kill some people too... ya know what? Screw it all, I'm going to do VR gliding tests.

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the content, I just wish there would be more effort involved trying to make the sidequests fit what's happening in the rest of the game.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

do what you feel like. for me i usually do the side missions first. but only if they seem fun. like in skyrim i would do as many side missions as i would get because they usually seemed interesting and it would show me where to go. but the ones that are just like collecting stuff i never do.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

This is an interesting topic, because I always found open world games featuring a story that has a sense of urgency to seem silly giving you all these side quests to distract you from the main quest.

In terms of games like Skyrim, it doesn't really matter right at the beginning. Stop Alduin, or don't, whatever. If you don't want to do the main quest, you still get a rich world to explore at your leisure. Now personally, I was nearing the end of the game and then just went off and became a master assassin and leader of the Thieve's Guild, and no one seemed to care that I gave up the idea of saving the world from certain disaster, but it fits what the game wants you to do.

Now, Arkham City had this race against time story in which you could just ignore it for other race against time quests. Well, not sure what the Joker is up to, I definitely have to stop Strange, but if I don't do these damn puzzles then The Riddler is going to kill some people too... ya know what? Screw it all, I'm going to do VR gliding tests.

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the content, I just wish there would be more effort involved trying to make the sidequests fit what's happening in the rest of the game.

The question is how to do that in a way that is not annoying for the player. I like that I can choose what to do next, with no time pressure. For me it falls into "it's just a game"-category, meaning that I can forgive this unrealistic structure because it makes the game play better for me. It's a bit like when you die and press a button to contiue. I don't really reflect over how unrealistic that is.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

Sushiglutton

The question is how to do that in a way that is not annoying for the player. I like that I can choose what to do next, with no time pressure. For me it falls into "it's just a game"-category, meaning that I can forgive this unrealistic structure because it makes the game play better for me. It's a bit like when you die and press a button to contiue. I don't really reflect over how unrealistic that is.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily complaining, I just think it would be interesting to see a game try something different in that structure.

What if Alduin continued to grow stronger and attack humans and raise dragons while you were trying to romance someone in Skyrim? That would be unique. It would make the world and the story they were trying to promote feel more organic and life like.

I liked how whenever you made progress in Infamous 2 it would go into that screen telling you how close the Beast was, and while the Beast didn't get closer depending on how much time actually past, it was still a neat little novelty. I'd like to see something similar in a more serious sense.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

It's best to do the story missions whenever the hell you want. I remember when I played San Andreas every single day but I literally took weeks in between missions sometimes. Nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with getting the story done early. The beauty of these games is you can play them however you want. The only downside is if you take too big a break from the story in the middle of the story you might forget what has been happening in the story. That always happens to me with GTA. That doesn't really bother me too much though, but I don't really pay much attention to story anyway. It's all about the gameplay for me.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Whenever the hell you want to. That's kinda the point of the open-world games.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

It's best to do the story missions whenever the hell you want. I remember when I played San Andreas every single day but I literally took weeks in between missions sometimes. Nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with getting the story done early. The beauty of these games is you can play them however you want. The only downside is if you take too big a break from the story in the middle of the story you might forget what has been happening in the story. That always happens to me with GTA. That doesn't really bother me too much though, but I don't really pay much attention to story anyway. It's all about the gameplay for me.

burgeg
Prtetty much this. The downside is that a vast open world free roaming environment can very easily water the story down. The upside is that the stories are usually pretty $****y anyway, and it doesn't really matter if they get f***ed up with a bunch of side quests. It's exactly why filmmakers don't dedicate 5 minutes of screen time devoted to having every character take a dump. I played Heavy Rain once, and the boobs were nice. But mostly I'm just commenting on it because it tried to be an interactive movie and f***ed it up. I'm not even gonna comment on how the gameplay was mostly quick time events, that's a completely separate issue. My big deal was that it tried to be INTERACTIVE(!), but that $*** involved tedious stuff like walking around the room and trying to find my way around the house, and making me push my son on a swing because the story demands that my son get kidnapped (or something like that, it's been a while since I played it). Bottom line...f*** that. There's a reason why movies don't have characters making toast or going to pee, and the reason is because that stuff is boring as hell and rarely has any relevance to the story. There's no reason for a gameplay sequence in which I wake up and have to go through the motions of showering, dressing, and walking downstairs. Particularly when the character knows where everything is and I don't since I'm not the character. All that does is make me feel lost (since I'm playing the game for the first time), and it actually goes against the narrative since my character wouldn't have to spend five minutes exploring his bedroom just to find out where his freaking clothes are. Was any of that stuff FUN? No? Then cut it out, just like the movies do. Especially considering that the game is trying to be a freaking interactive movie. Anyway, I've digressed. Heavy Rain wasn't an open world game anyway, so I think I complained about it a bit too much. But it does bring up something...a disconnect between the point of the game and the need to allow gamers a sense of freedom. Exploring a bedroom might be fun sometimes, but it's f***ing bull$*** when that bedroom is my character's bedroom and I have to spend minutes exploring the environment just so I can put on my pants and then head downstairs to continue the story. Same with open world games. If the point is in exploration, fine. But don't make it all about some huge urgent plot, and then give the players incentives to go way off track and do a bunch of side missions that don't f***ing matter. Guess what? By the time gamers have completed all of the dozens of pointles side quests that don't advance the story one bit, how much are they actually gonna give a flying f*** about the main story? Probably not much. That's the equivalent of making me explore my own character's bedroom just to find my pants. If it's not important, then cut that out. And if it is important, then stop pretending like the game is really about some story that I've ceased caring about by the time I've done all those side quests. And for the love of god, do not make me stop and level-grind or complete side quests just in order to get my character strong enough to finish the main storyline. F*** that, that's bull$***. I love open world games, I love linear story driven games. But they really need to remember what kinds of games they are, and stop pissing me off with BS.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i don't really have a set method for every open world game.

in skyrim, i might never do the main quest for some characters. what if my character is an assho|e and never wants to warn whiterun? he may follow the one of the guilds or something else instead. it's the same in fallout 3 (my character would have to care about saving his father) and some others.

in some games, i avoid the side missions altogether. as an example, the side stuff in l.a. noire hurts the game. the shooting and car chases really aren't the strength of the game and it's just bizarre that the main character would get into so many of those situations in that world. then the films reels have to be found on foot and that method of transportation really breaks down the illusion of the city as well as completely skips some of the best period aspects of the design. i just skip them and go straight for the main missions.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

It's TOTALLY up to you when you do what.

That IS the main reason why Open World Games exist.

Though, of course there are bad examples where it's indeed neccessary to do it in a certain order.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I'll usually start off with the main quest and venture off to any side quest I pick up at that point in the main story from any NPC in that area. With Skyrim for example, if I know a reward from a side quests will help my playstyle, like Samguine's Rose for my mage builds, that side quest will take top priority.

I liked the urgency of some of Mass Effect 2 and 3's side quests. Like the crew kidnappings or the Tuchanka doomsday bomb for example. You can put them off to do other quests but if you wait too long, consequences will take effect. It gives games a more organic, non static feel.