One of the Most Overlooked Gems of the Past

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I'm ashamed to admit that I missed out this great game:

File:Klonoa2.jpg

On Wikipedia, it says Klonoa 2 didn't receive commercial success, which sucks when you think about it. I wonder why?

Anyway, it's one of the best platforms ever made. It was a huge critical success though, and I guess successful enough to bring sequels.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

The term "gem" is used so much nowadays that it's lost it's significance.

It seems every game that didn't became popluar was overlooked or is a hidden gem to some people.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story

It seems every game that didn't became popluar was overlooked or is a hidden gem to some people.

Panzer_Zwei

Than what's your idea of a gem than? Retro-gaming? The Golden Age of games? You think any game post 16-bit era are not qualified to be gems?

I know how this goes. I know there are some who game on nostalgia and in the past. That's cool. I respect your opinion and to each his/her own.

But just because I think games like Zelda Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 4, New Super Mario Bros., Shadow of the Colossus, God of War 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy VII, or Batman Arkham Asylum are considered clas-sics or gems, doesn't make me wrong nor am I using the term "gem" the wrong way.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. But I don't see how anyone would think Klonoa 2 or the other games I mentioned would be trash.

TonyTcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TonyTcite
Member since 2009 • 456 Posts

never played it. ive heard of it... maybe i'll check it out.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#5 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts

Panzer_Zwei
I agree. It's used as much as "Epic". Used in the wrong terms, etc. Gems, to me, are those really hard-to-find games on the Atari and NES that were both good and bad, especially unlicensed ones. Even that one that seems not even worth the money because of how horrible it is, you have to admit, is quite a hard find and obviously a collector's item if you can get it with everything, Action 52. It sold for $200, but by now is worth quite a lot as a full set. Even the cart itself is very hard to find.
MecaShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 MecaShadow
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts

I'm ashamed to admit that I missed out this great game:

File:Klonoa2.jpg

ASK_Story

The original for the PSX was even better. Shame that the GBA spinoffs were nowhere near as excellent...

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

So your saying there's right and wrong answers here?

I consider Crystallis for the NES to be an often overlooked gem. It was better than the original Zelda.

TonyTcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TonyTcite
Member since 2009 • 456 Posts
[QUOTE="Second_Rook"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

So your saying there's right and wrong answers here?

I consider Crystallis for the NES to be an often overlooked gem. It was better than the original Zelda.

i dont know bout that.
aots_twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 aots_twilight
Member since 2004 • 1402 Posts

I believe it all ends on the personal preference of each and every individual here. So, good for you for finding something you like.

wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts
Personally it's a good game. Not a great game or a must play. Maybe for $20 but not more than that. funny I thought the gba games were better than the 3d versions; there were more puzzles. But I did play the gba versions first and then tried the PS2 version. Parts of the PS2 game just required you to memorize the levels in order to collect all the gems.
BanjoMumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#12 BanjoMumbo
Member since 2009 • 512 Posts

Jet Set Radio, some people just skip right to it's less superior sequel on Xbox.

ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#13 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
I played Klonoa 2, and I enjoyed it a lot. I say it's definitely worth playing for platformer-lovers.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

aryoshi
I agree. It's used as much as "Epic". Used in the wrong terms, etc. Gems, to me, are those really hard-to-find games on the Atari and NES that were both good and bad, especially unlicensed ones. Even that one that seems not even worth the money because of how horrible it is, you have to admit, is quite a hard find and obviously a collector's item if you can get it with everything, Action 52. It sold for $200, but by now is worth quite a lot as a full set. Even the cart itself is very hard to find.

I didn't know there was a rule or a law for personal taste or opinions. I consider my copy of Street Fighter IV and BlazBlue gems, also Chrono Cross and my Super Mario Advanced collection. Is that wrong? Am I using the term "gem" the wrong way? Of course not.
infested_ramza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 infested_ramza
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

[QUOTE="aryoshi"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

ASK_Story

I didn't know there was a rule or a law for personal taste or opinions. I consider my copy of Street Fighter IV and BlazBlue gems, also Chrono Cross and my Super Mario Advanced collection. Is that wrong? Am I using the term "gem" the wrong way? Of course not.

There are multiple definitions of the term "gem." I, personally, consider a "gem" to be a highly praised game that wasn't blessed with commercial success, such as Psychonauts. Your definition is different, thus your opinion on what is a "gem" is much different as well.

Edit: GS failing and misspelling words and removing spaces

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="aryoshi"] I agree. It's used as much as "Epic". Used in the wrong terms, etc. Gems, to me, are those really hard-to-find games on the Atari and NES that were both good and bad, especially unlicensed ones. Even that one that seems not even worth the money because of how horrible it is, you have to admit, is quite a hard find and obviously a collector's item if you can get it with everything, Action 52. It sold for $200, but by now is worth quite a lot as a full set. Even the cart itself is very hard to find.infested_ramza

There are multiple definitions of the term "gem." I, personally, consider a "gem" to be a highly praised game that wasn't blessed with commercial success, such as Psychonauts. Your definition is different, thus your opinion on what is a "gem" is much different as well.

Edit: GS failing and misspelling words and removing spaces

Exactly what Klonoa 2 is! It fits your idea of a gem. But according to the posters above us, it's not. Oh well. To each his own I guess.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

OMG Klonoa 2 :D I LOVE Klonoa 2! Too bad it didn't sell well...

In recent memory I would have to say Ico, an absolute gem and a beautiful unique gaming experience but didn't recieve commerical success because it didn't have blood, zombies or aliens.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

If i can google it and immediately get 500 pages of buyable copies for under $50 it isnt a gem. Good or bad. Popular or not.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#19 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

driver paralel lines ,,

i dont see what people say how bad this was when the fact of the matter it is a realistic version of gta you can not run red lights etc

it tried to be a stunt like game so ,but ne way the 3rd was a success the 4th should have been

infested_ramza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 infested_ramza
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

If i can google it and immediately get 500 pages of buyable copies for under $50 it isnt a gem. Good or bad. Popular or not.

Alter_Echo

As I said previously, the definition of "gem" in gaming terms has yet to be solidifyed. I consider Baten Kaitos to be a "gem," due to it being highly praised, but not well received by the general public. Your definition of a "gem" is about how rare or expensive it is. Don't flame someone for having a different opinion

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts
I should have clarified that it was only my opinion. I already own the game in question though. Its a solid title. Just not a gem ( again only in my opinion ). Wasnt trying to flame.
laurensnaudts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 laurensnaudts
Member since 2003 • 398 Posts

Just bought a ps2 and ordered Odin Sphere, I think that could be my overlooked "gem"

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

aryoshi

I think your mistaking the word "Gem" for the word "Rare".