One game sways my decision on a next gen system all by itself.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Killer Instinct. Weird one to have play such a big role in this decision. Mostly overlooked, ignored, even mocked. Yet here I am completely sure that of the games I've seen from the two new systems, this is the one that I am willing to buy a game system to play. I'm not even that good at fighters, despite a very brief rise to the top 50 online rankings in SNK versus Capcom: Chaos on the original Xbox. I've never had the patience for getting good at fighters, despite an undeniable long running interest in the genre.

I really think the game got caught up in guilt by association via the (deserved) backlash for Microsoft's handling of the Xbone. I initially wrote off the system as well, but as a good friend of mine said when asked why he was willing to get one after they reversed all of their terrible policies with the system: "I can work with anything that can be beaten into submission". As can I. Not only will I buy an Xbone, (not sure about this year, have no reserve and hate holiday searches for a new system after what happened with the X360 and Wii at launch to me) and buy this game, I will even buy a compatible arcade stick and take competitive gaming seriously.

Which should be fun since I'm pretty sure the previously mentioned friend, our very own Pat "DarkCatalyst" Mifflin, (currently addicted to FF14 and likely unaware GS has a new site and forums altogether... also explains the absence of JPL lately) can be talked into helping me out as a sort of pet project. After all, he's actually the reason I was a top 50 player in SNK versus Capcom: Chaos.

So yeah, my next system is an Xbone after all, go figure.

(Can we call playing with each other on Xbone "boning"?)

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Randolph

Ok, so wow. This is cool. Despite my misgiving about some of the other changes to the community package, (What in the hell did they do our collection pages!?!? AUGH!) this post highlights two awesome features. This is a blog post I was able to optionally mirror on a forum of my choice, and when I pressed insert video when making it, I was treated to either inserting an embed code... or doing a quick search right there of videos on Gamespot and add any one of them to my blog post. Very neat. Embedding vids is slick and easy, and blog publishing solves the age old problem of being told to blog it, then blogging it and getting exactly zero response.

Not bad, GS.

Now give me back my avatar and I can totally work with this.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Hmm I definitely like the sound of being able to double blogs as forum posts. The old retort "blog it" got kind of old and probably hid away some good discussions.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Randolph

@Vari3ty said:

Hmm I definitely like the sound of being able to double blogs as forum posts. The old retort "blog it" got kind of old and probably hid away some good discussions.

"Blog it" was my second least favorite thing people would say on the forums. My first goes back to a much older iteration of the forums, people would say "Thanks for the points!" in response to replies because they were reporting them to the mods, and at the time, reports acted on gave points towards our stupid ass user levels. So glad they got rid of that.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

@Randolph said:

@Vari3ty said:

"Blog it" was my second least favorite thing people would say on the forums. My first goes back to a much older iteration of the forums, people would say "Thanks for the points!" in response to replies because they were reporting them to the mods, and at the time, reports acted on gave points towards our stupid ass user levels. So glad they got rid of that.

Must have been before my time. Good thing they got rid of it.

Anyways, as for Killer Instinct - I admittedly really don't have any interest in it as I'm not a person who particularly enjoys fighters, but if you enjoy it, more power to you. I just don't see the X1 as being a system that really has anything I want on it right now, that might change within a year or two, I'll just have to wait and see.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Randolph

Killer Instinct, for me, has the edge of nostalgia. It cannot be understated how powerful that is for me. Seeing Killer Instinct in the arcades showcasing the "Ultra 64" hardware was a very memorable moment. Playing KI Gold (Killer Instinct 2) on the N64 during the summer against my cousins also really stands out. Not only does the new game channel that same spirit while also doing some new things, it includes the first ever arcade perfect port of the first game, which is due to be online enabled a few weeks/months after the launch. I have always dreamed of beating fools online and making them dance afterwards.

Loading Video...

HUMILIATION! In fact, back when MS bought Rare and we actually still had a tight knit community in the Xbox board, (Areez would remember those days) I remember one of the first things I said was how great it would be to have this game on XBL and do that to people. I'll be able to finally do that some day, and that makes me smile. :)

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Randolph

@kingoflife9 said:

so is this game free? pm me i dont know how to navigate this site now

edit, this match isnt that good lol ive seen better

Technically it is. If you get that version you get the core game and one playable character. (Jago) I'm getting the deluxe edition with the full roster and arcade perfect OG Killer Instinct. The match in the OP is a video of Ken Lobb teaching/beasting noobies. I only used it because I like the guy a whole bunch. :) Youtube has plenty of serious match vids to watch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I guess if you're big into fighting games, in particular Killer Instinct, then it's a dream come true. But I think that represents a kind of specific fraction of gamers.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I was on board for the X1 as soon as they removed the 24 hour check-in. That was really the one sticking point for me. My internet has been out for days before, and that's when I need the consoles to work most of all. After the ONE-80 though, I've been full blown eager for the X1. I mean, it's not like I would ever skip a Dead Rising without good reason. KI, the eventual Halo games, Forza, and Fable are all games I don't want to miss.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Randolph

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I was on board for the X1 as soon as they removed the 24 hour check-in. That was really the one sticking point for me. My internet has been out for days before, and that's when I need the consoles to work most of all. After the ONE-80 though, I've been full blown eager for the X1. I mean, it's not like I would ever skip a Dead Rising without good reason. KI, the eventual Halo games, Forza, and Fable are all games I don't want to miss.

We will both have Xbones, Z. We shall be bone brothers! Come, let us go boning!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

I love fighting games and enjoyed the Killer Instinct games so this is a definite for me when I get an Xbox One. I certainly want Titanfall, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, and Halo 5 as well. I better see a Gears of War 4 game sometime in the near future also, that would be totally awesome.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Randolph
@Archangel3371 said:

I love fighting games and enjoyed the Killer Instinct games so this is a definite for me when I get an Xbox One. I certainly want Titanfall, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, and Halo 5 as well. I better see a Gears of War 4 game sometime in the near future also, that would be totally awesome.

I really hope that if they do a Xbone Gears of War game that it is able to recreate the absolute jaw dropping awe I experienced the first time I booted up the first game on my 360 in late 2006.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

No offense Randolph but this blog feature is going to be abused to hell and back.

I got to play KI recently and while i got my ass handed to me, the game seems a lot of fun.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Randolph

@S0lidSnake said:

No offense Randolph but this blog feature is going to be abused to hell and back.

I got to play KI recently and while i got my ass handed to me, the game seems a lot of fun.

Once more people get on the new forums, oh hell yeah, it will. Not as much as the Karma system they built into these boards will, but it will. Did you get to try out Sadira? Or was the demo you played still Jago/Glacius/Sabrewulf?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@Randolph said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Once more people get on the new forums, oh hell yeah, it will. Not as much as the Karma system they built into these boards will, but it will. Did you get to try out Sadira? Or was the demo you played still Jago/Glacius/Sabrewulf?

i have absolutely no interest in KI so i cant tell you who I was playing as. It was that blue wearwolf dude so i guess that was Sabrewulf? He kinda sucked because the other guy my brother in-law was controlling had all the street fighter moves and I kept getting my ass kicked. He looked like Lui Kang.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By sirkibble2
Member since 2005 • 981 Posts

OP, you're bold. But it's an awesome and commendable bold. When a lot of people are hating on Xbox One and Killer Instinct, you post why it's your system seller. Bold. Awesome.

I want to get Killer Instinct. I played it at E3 and it felt great. I'm not sure about their free-to-play model but that's largely because I haven't sat down and thought about how it could effect the game and the online aspects and my own enjoyment.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Randolph

I'm not bold. I am, as a friend once put it, an "Iconoclastic Wanker".

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

All i want is ryse and dead rising 3.