OMG Portal 2 is Boring

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Can somebody explain what the point is of Portal? From what I watched of a guy streaming himself playing Portal 2, it was just running around and shooting 2 portals to walk through and move objects. Now I like the concept and the Physics were cool but the game got boring after like 10 minutes. I mean it was hardly no action at all. Can somebody explain what makes Portal 2 fun and what is the point of it?
morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

I'm sorry it's not CoD dude. Not every game needs "action".

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

morrowindnic
I agree, blog this as well.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nini200

morrowindnic
I agree as well and Thank God it's not another COD clone. I'm saying though after all that hype and speculation of it, the actual gameplay leaves ALOT to be desired and gets boring VERY quickly. Whats the objective of the game? Also, I like the physics of the game but thats about all it is unless I'm missing something just like Crysis is just a Graphics game with dull gameplay. Whats the point of Portal?
touchyourtoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 touchyourtoes
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

I think your first mistake was watching some guy streaming himself playing Portal. Even if you did play it now you've likely had some of the puzzle solving element spoiled from having watched some guy play Portal. To answer your question though, the point is to solve the puzzle of each room to make it to the end, and try and solve what Aperture Labs is diong, and to try and free yourself from said Lab.

That said, it's definitely not a game for everyone. You have to try it for yourself.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

[QUOTE="morrowindnic"]

nini200

I agree as well and Thank God it's not another COD clone. I'm saying though after all that hype and speculation of it, the actual gameplay leaves ALOT to be desired and gets boring VERY quickly. Whats the objective of the game? Also, I like the physics of the game but thats about all it is unless I'm missing something just like Crysis is just a Graphics game with dull gameplay. Whats the point of Portal?

It seems clear you havent played Portal 1. You wouldn't be asking "whats the point" of the game if you did.

Its a first person puzzle game.

And you should probably get a new hobby considering Crysis scored 9.0+ in many sites. Graphics alone is not enough to justify such high scores. Portal is not just physics. the 9.0+ on many sites for Portal are not based soley of Physics.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Agreed, I got to chapter 6 and got tired of it. The puzzles dissapeard, and it was more liek "WHERE DO I PUT THE PORTAL SINCE EVERY SURFACE IS NOT USABLE" It's like "RAMIREZ, ZOOM INTO THIS SLIGHT GAP IN THE WALL TO MOVE THERE" Anoyyed me. I didn't bother to finish, watched ending on youtube, I thought MW2 ending was moar epic. However, co-op, was amazing with my friend :)
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

I absolutely love it because it is pure gameplay.

Yes the VA is adding to the experience but you can mute the game if you want to; it's not a necessity to listen to them speak or read dialogue or something.

Pure puzzle game. No blasts, no story, etc. etc. is forced upon you, this is how games should be like.

9.5/10 from me !

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Agreed, I got to chapter 6 and got tired of it. The puzzles dissapeard, and it was more liek "WHERE DO I PUT THE PORTAL SINCE EVERY SURFACE IS NOT USABLE" It's like "RAMIREZ, ZOOM INTO THIS SLIGHT GAP IN THE WALL TO MOVE THERE" Anoyyed me. I didn't bother to finish, watched ending on youtube, I thought MW2 ending was moar epic. However, co-op, was amazing with my friend :)JigglyWiggly_

I would agree that the SP is slightly easy but the experience felt fresh all the time as they constantly introduced new elements akin to SMG2.

It's also kinda short, but if you count the the co-op then it definitely adds up.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Puzzles are not for everybody.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nini200
No I haven't played the first Portal. Ok, I get it now. For the Puzzle aspect of the game by the way they use the physics, it's an ok game. I guess I was just expecting something more due to the hype the game got.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
No I haven't played the first Portal. Ok, I get it now. For the Puzzle aspect of the game by the way they use the physics, it's an ok game. I guess I was just expecting something more due to the hype the game got.nini200
It also gets the hype cause of the story and how it's story is gonna get linked with the Half Life 2 story line.
Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] I didn't bother to finish, watched ending on youtube, I thought MW2 ending was moar epic.

I think I'm gonna cry.
wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wayne_kar
Member since 2009 • 2090 Posts

No I haven't played the first Portal. Ok, I get it now. For the Puzzle aspect of the game by the way they use the physics, it's an ok game. I guess I was just expecting something more due to the hype the game got.nini200
i guess if you needed too have people explain this too you then portal just isn't that game for you.

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

"OMG Call of Duty is boring, it's nothing but shooting people!"

"OMG Mario is boring, you do nothing but jump!"

"OMG Zelda is boring, all you do is whack stuff, get bombs, and blow up cracked walls!"

"OMG Final Fantasy is boring, all you do is talk to people and press X!"

I could go on. Point is, there's a lot more to the game than shooting portals through walls. What attracts people to Portal is the story, the gameplay itself, the brilliant puzzles, the multitude of easter eggs, some of the best writing in videogame history, and the setpieces (in Portal 2).

Don't judge a book by it's cover, nor should you judge an entiere game series by its first ten minutes.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
The point of it is to solve how you get from the room you're in to the next room.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It's a first person puzzle game, if you don't like puzzles you don't like this game, you got mislead by the first person view which is usually needed for *shoot everything that moves* games

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Some of the best writing seen in a video game is in there. And it's not presented movie style either.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44852 Posts
well, you obviously spoiled it for yourself, why do you play video games anyway, I mean if you watch people play video games they're just pushing buttons, what's fun about that?
Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts
1. You're not playing Portal 2. 2. This isn't a military shooter. 3. LOL.
megadeth1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 megadeth1984
Member since 2009 • 134 Posts

Can somebody explain what the point is of Portal? From what I watched of a guy streaming himself playing Portal 2, it was just running around and shooting 2 portals to walk through and move objects. Now I like the concept and the Physics were cool but the game got boring after like 10 minutes. I mean it was hardly no action at all. Can somebody explain what makes Portal 2 fun and what is the point of it?nini200

Na you completely missed the point of the game, its a puzzle game, and each level is a puzzle in order to get through you have to solve the puzzle (the puzzle in question is the cryptic road that can only be used by using portals hence he has a portal gun. hope i could make you understand) If you are looking for puzzles and action then go play God of War series and/or Prince of Persia. This one is just for puzzles not action. It is not hyped, it is a very innovative game offering something completely new hence it got such high ratings and praise. Just rent and play it and see if you like it.

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
Really none of these people have touched on what really makes the game unique and fun, its the combined gameplay WITH THE HUMOR, the AI voices are very funny. Its a dry sarcastic wit and adult humor. If you don't get it, thats ok it's not for everyone. Go back to COD, or God of War. That is all....