Old Style or New Style Resident evil?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elagricola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 elagricola
Member since 2002 • 133 Posts

I have to say that I really liked RE4 and it's one of the few games I have ever played through more than once (like 3-4 times), yet I really miss the old style game play. I think the mechanics and camera angles contributed to the fear factor in some ways, I also liked the deep exploration puzzles.....

I think thjere is room for both styles of game...

What do you guys and girls think?!?!?

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#2 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
I like both styles it doesn't matter to me.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I myself would prefer the atmosphere and "survival/horror" aspects of the first several games combined with the updated gameplay from the new more actiony games.
SpedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 SpedKnight
Member since 2006 • 1032 Posts

yea i would probobly agree with you that the camera angles make it a lot creepyer but the old games i really couldnt stand at all.

i prefer FUN over being scared...plus...ink cartridges...worse idea in history.

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts
I enjoyed Resident Evil 4, but I do prefer the gameplay in the mold of the previous Resident Evils. Those games were much more about atmosphere and exploration while RE4 was more about action.
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
i totally agree. RE4 was lots of fun. i think RE5 will be a similiar game. can't wait for it.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts
I like the old style better.
XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
I'd prefer the old style , more horror and action at the same time...the new style feels action , action and more action! the old style used to feel like your fighting for your life which is more better then the new one imo.
xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
Old style. I'm not going to get into why. I'm getting tired of arguing this.
shabulia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 shabulia
Member since 2004 • 2625 Posts
WOW! I can't believe any of this. The old style of games were great but the tank like controls of them were awful. I hated the way you were supposed to control your characters. Everytime there was a camera angle change, the controls were thrown off for me. I guess I am the minority here, but I think RE 4 improved the series above and beyond!
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

WOW! I can't believe any of this. The old style of games were great but the tank like controls of them were awful. I hated the way you were supposed to control your characters. Everytime there was a camera angle change, the controls were thrown off for me. I guess I am the minority here, but I think RE 4 improved the series above and beyond!shabulia

That used to be the case with me as well when I first started playing RE2. At the time, I was unfamiliar with the control scheme and was frustrated at how the camera angles made it all the more confusing, which almost led me towards refunding my purchase. Thankfully however, I was willing to give it another chance since I happen to have a propensity towards horror related themes.

sanpreet8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sanpreet8
Member since 2008 • 2111 Posts
i like the new style.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

i enjoyed both but new one has really nothing related to "survival/horror" which is disappointing... there are tons of weapons/ammos so its like a shooter game...

if they would make old style with so much better controls ( just like Tomb Raider evolved ), it would be better i think.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I'd like to see a mix of both gameplays. From the new way I'd keep the camera, controls, grid inventory, little backtracking, and (most important) the save system. From the old way I'd welcome a return of a slower pace, fewer enemies, more puzzles and a deeper story. Oh, and I'd like the T Virus back, not those alien freaks.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

I prefer the new style because I hate fixed cam.

IMO, able to control the camera is a must for all games!

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#16 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
New style. The over-the-shoulder view was groundbreaking at the time...you see it in every game now. You also didn't control like a tank in RE4. All that's needed now is the new-style RE combined with horror, and you have the perfect RE game.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
The best Resident Evil game that shows how I like my Resident Evil game is RE Remark for the Gamecube.
The new type of Resident Evil games is taken a downfall in my opinion, but I guess the Gears of Wars gaming fanatics love that kind of character view and such
elagricola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 elagricola
Member since 2002 • 133 Posts

I think that the new RE4 is just taking advantage of a name and it really brings nothing from previous games (from it's past/origins). What people liked about RE has been thrown away. I know a companie's main focus is to be profitable. I think that RE had an installed fan base, RE was not a game that was a mass market hit (maybe I'm wrong) like many other games that have these high production values. Now don't get me wrong, RE4 was a game that I really loved, but I will sure miss the old style.

I do agree that like most franchises that survive the pass of time some changes had to be made to some gameplay elements, but some fetures like the backtracking, amo conservation, sporadic saves, few, yet more powerfull enemies, actuall zombies and more should have been kept.

RE4 style of gameplay could have been a new franchise or something.

Now I think someone said that he was tired of arguing this, yet I was looking for a threat on this matter and since I could not find one I decided to start a one... Sorry about that!

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#19 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts

REZ is moving in the right direction mechanically but its still not there yet. Keep going. Story wise I dont give a crap, I've hated the mutating zombie crap since day one.

kdsns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kdsns
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

I'll agree that the old atmosphere and survival horror style were alot better, but resident evil 4 did bring some great mechanics. The over the shoulder cam fixed the targeting system and camera problems from the original games, even though the old camera style could be very cinematic and I liked it sometimes.

I guess that with the more action oriented control scheme/camera that they introduced in 4 youre bound to get a more action oriented game, but i'd much rather the old school fighting infection and running for your life style of gameplay.

Best mix would be to keep the controls + technical aspects of the new series but go back to the surviva horror style of the old.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

I enjoy survival horror but I hate shooter genre.

RE4 to me felt like it was a shooter, not a survival horror. I also thought it wasn't a good shooter as well. What kind of shooting game doesn't allow you to move and shoot? It was just point and click game, and I don't know why people think it's so fun.

bring on the improved old style back. Something along the lines of Rule of Rose or Fatal Frame.

oct2908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 oct2908
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i think the bigger question is story lines, because the new ones dont interest me at all, i remember back in the day when i first beat re i was blown away by the story line of the game, because at the time no one was doing games like this, unless you want to argue alone in the dark, and the story never gets old, i can play 1-3 over and over until im wrinkled and grey.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
The new style in RE4 was an important evolutionary step to the aging mechanics of the older games. But when I hear people whine about how much they hate the changes, I can't help but notice that the gameplay isn't THAT much different; the controls are pretty much identical, it just moved to 3rd-person over-the-shoulder instead of stagnant prerendered environments.
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I like the new style and the old style. I would like to play more games in the old style, although I preferred how Silent Hill did it with some moving camera parts and not 100% still angles.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#25 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Old style.

The word "improved" isn't the right word to describe the new formula's effect on RE games because the new style *we can say style in gamespot! xD yay!* is different from the old. When both styles are similar, it's here when you can say the new formula improved the quality of games. RE were succefful from the beginning and not because of RE4.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts
I like the new style.
ineedanap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ineedanap
Member since 2007 • 734 Posts
I'm a new-style advocate.
dmc333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dmc333
Member since 2002 • 766 Posts
Old, the camera is the problem, this is my same problem with mgs4. I prefer not knowing what is in front of me. As it makes it more difficult and more exciting of what is in front of you. Yes, it may be more realistic in re4, but that is the problem. Realism is bad for you, like cigarettes.
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts
A mixture of both will be nice.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
I prefer the new style, though just a little. After similar games like Silent Hill had free moving cameras, I found it that much harder to play the original REs with their fixed camera angles and pre-rendered backgrounds. Theres no reason not to have decent control in a survival horror game.
kdsns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kdsns
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts
Way to resurrect an old thread.
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts
They're both good, but I enjoyed the first style more.. because of the atmosphere and feeling of survival. They gave me way too much ammo in Resident Evil 4. :x
pointyraccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pointyraccoon
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I prefered the old style. It gave the fear and style that the game wanted to achieve
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
I'd say the new style. Not that I don't enjoy the old games of RE, but I want to feel intense without getting screwed in certain situations because I have no more ammo.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The new style in RE4 was an important evolutionary step to the aging mechanics of the older games. But when I hear people whine about how much they hate the changes, I can't help but notice that the gameplay isn't THAT much different; the controls are pretty much identical, it just moved to 3rd-person over-the-shoulder instead of stagnant prerendered environments.UT_Wrestler

You know, I would take the time to mention how Resident Evil 4 could have easily had been done with good controls and all the survival horror elements intact and a great atmosphere and compelling story... but I'm just going to give up... its no use anymore. The new Res's are just far too popular for me to even care... no one listens anymore. Action games are in now anyways, no point in arguing.
SgtStrungOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 SgtStrungOut
Member since 2005 • 360 Posts

WOW! I can't believe any of this. The old style of games were great but the tank like controls of them were awful. I hated the way you were supposed to control your characters. Everytime there was a camera angle change, the controls were thrown off for me. I guess I am the minority here, but I think RE 4 improved the series above and beyond!shabulia
Stop whining and learn to adapt instead of wimp out and give up. Just cuz you lack skills does not mean the old gaes are bad. It is YOU who is bad. The "tank" controls are extremely easy to adapt to. In fact, RE4 and RE5 have the EXACT control schemem as the old RE games.

SgtStrungOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SgtStrungOut
I'd say the new style. Not that I don't enjoy the old games of RE, but I want to feel intense without getting screwed in certain situations because I have no more ammo. martialbullet
Well learn how to conserve ammo instead of waste it. It is a survival horror game, not a action game. You lack the skills and patience, something that us true ganers have learned siince we grew up on games that you casuals would not last 1 second on without complaining that they need, auto aim, extra ammo, regenerative health or having their hand held throughout the game for them. GET BETTER AT IT!
SgtStrungOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SgtStrungOut

Old style.

The word "improved" isn't the right word to describe the new formula's effect on RE games because the new style *we can say style in gamespot! xD yay!* is different from the old. When both styles are similar, it's here when you can say the new formula improved the quality of games. RE were succefful from the beginning and not because of RE4.

gamingqueen

EXACTLY. Well said. Thank you!

SgtStrungOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SgtStrungOut
The new style in RE4 was an important evolutionary step to the aging mechanics of the older games. But when I hear people whine about how much they hate the changes, I can't help but notice that the gameplay isn't THAT much different; the controls are pretty much identical, it just moved to 3rd-person over-the-shoulder instead of stagnant prerendered environments.UT_Wrestler
Evolution? Hell no! As a hardcore RE fan since way back in the day, I call BS. Aging mechanics? IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. You talk as if the gameplay mechanics are bad. Well guess what? I LIKE THOSE MECHANICS. You are not a RE fan therefore your opinion does not matter.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

CAll me crazy, but I feel RE4, with the exception of the wii version, just hasn't aged that well. The controls in every other version feel rather clunky. I still think its a good game, but it doesn't really feel like a resident evil game. The highlight of the original games in the series was always about atmosphere and instilling some level of actual fear and tension in the person playing the game. This was done through "cinematography" of sorts. IMO, CV is the best game in the series. Whereas the PS1 games were limited in what the camera could do, the 3D environments of the DC Resident Evil allowed the director to use more dynamic camera moves--it was still limited, but was heading in the right direction, while retaining the feel of the series. I would have liked to see CV expanded upon with the advancement consoles, rather than a full on genre change.

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

Loved the old style. I wish they would be done with the new style already. But they probably won't go back.

teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

Definitely old style for me. I just wish they could go back to it. It was really survival horror and it would give you cool scares.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#43 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I liked RE5, good story, nice change of pace. But RE4 was a masterpiece IMO.
Avatar image for ratchet_ruler88
ratchet_ruler88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 ratchet_ruler88
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

I love both styles, It'd be cool if they implemented both into a game.

drochnathair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 drochnathair
Member since 2008 • 412 Posts

I always enjoyed the old style more. RE4 was a good game in it's own right, but I feel that it took so many changes in the direction of the franchise that it almost can't even be called a Resident Evil game anymore. I'm not the biggest fan of action/shooter type games, but I really enjoy horror and the exploration found in the first few games. I haven't even played RE5 yet and I don't know that I ever will. What I've read and seen of it so far doesn't make it seem like something I'd enjoy.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like new style of gameplay.