Okay, a little more difficult: Your top ten Sega Genesis/MegaDrive games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

Now I am a total fanboy for this somewhat obscure system to our younger members so a top ten may be hard to pick, but I think everyone can do a top 3 at least.....

Without further ado:

1. Shining Force 2 - this is still my favorite srpg of all time, and it still holds up today and is regularly cited in top lists all the time. This, much like the next game, really show what the Genesis could do.

2. Streets of Rage 2 - pretty much everyone I know puts this in top 3 beat-em-ups ever, I argue it is the best beat em up ever made and can make a pretty decent argument.

3. Phantasy Star IV - the greatest "traditional" rpg on the system, so good.

4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - I liked all the main sonic entries but this one is my favorite, it just seems to be the most cohesive entry.

5. Disney's Aladdin - Not only my fave disney movie, this is one helluva game. The SNES and Gen each got different games and many prefer this one.

7. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - It's Puyo Puyo with a KILLER soundtrack, fave puzzle game after Tetris (GB).

8. Shining in the Darkness - A great, and my first, dungeon crawler. Definitely an "entry level" crawler but done with so much shine, great game.

9. Ghouls & Ghosts - Many argue the SNES one is better (which it probably is), but this one was great and jumping was so much more forgiving, killer soundtrack again.

10. Castlevania: Bloodlines - now to be fair, Castlvania III for the NES is still my favorite entry, but this Genesis game is great, and more replayabilty than most "original" castlevania's with two playable characters.

I'm interested to know what other people's favorite MD/Genesis games were.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts
  1. Streets of Rage 2- Overall a great Beat em' Up. Lacks the run and deeper mechanics of 3 but has better overall quality.
  2. Sonic and Knuckles- 2 and 3 seem to ditch decent level design and focus on more loops and speed. S&K hits a sweet spot.
  3. CastleVania: Bloodlines- I like CastleVania and this is all Sega got at the time, it's pretty good and very gory.
  4. Rocket Knight: Adventures- Has some clever mechanics other games didn't do at the time, and overall well presented.
  5. Golden Axe III- Best Golden Axe on the system but is very rough around the edges and with poor art direction.
  6. ToeJam and Earl- Don't get many good rouge like games with retro Sega but Toejam remains good and original.
  7. Earthworm Jim 2- Superior to the original in every way, it's a much better game without a lot of the firsts tedium.
  8. Sonic the Hedgehog- Same reason I like S&K it remembers being a platformer than "gotta go fast".
  9. Streets of Rage 3- Gameplay-wise this is better than 2, but fails on overall presentation, and even playable characters.
  10. Ex-Ranza- The best run-and-gun game on the system with a lot of clever transforming mechanics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I'm not going to include any games where I feel that the SNES had the better version. So no Zombies Ate My Neighbors or Ninja Turtles since they were better played on the SNES though they are still great games if you only owned a Genesis.

1. Aladdin - This is one game where the Genesis got by far the better version. There are not many great games based off of movies, but this is definitely one of them and I'm glad that it is for one of my favorite movies (especially when I was a kid).

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - This is by far the best Sonic game ever.

3. Earthworm Jim - This is another game that I think the Genesis got the better version of. Earthworm Jim games were very unique and funny. I wish that the series would have lasted longer.

4. Truxton - This is a game that I did not have growing up and I only recently discovered it thanks to the Classic Game Room. I'm not normally a big fan of shoot em up games, but this one is really fun and addictive.

5. Beavis and Butthead - I probably would not call this a great game, but it's a game that I have a lot of nostalgia for since I was a big Beavis and Butthead fan and my friends and I played this game a lot back when I was a kid. Looking back on it now, I can definitely see some flaws with it's gameplay, but I think that it does a really great job of capturing the spirit of the TV show and whenever I think of the Genesis, this is one game that always pops into my head since I played it so much as a kid.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts
  1. Gunstar Heroes
  2. Sonic 3
  3. Contra
  4. Castlevania