Official Xbox One thread of tibits and other speculative info

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#1 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Because the board has been overrun with Xbox One threads, we're instituting a centralized thread to handle most of the news, as most of it doesn't warrant its own thread. So: keep it here, for now -- unless it's something big. Then we can talk about making an exception.

EDIT: Some news bits to start us off. I'll try and keep my eyes open for more.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/23/phil-harrison-says-microsoft-will-invest-1b-in-games-for-xbox-one-interview/ (Courtesy of alexwatchtower)

Phil Harrison: "From a studios perspective, we are investing, I believe, a billion dollars for content development just for games, which is more than weve ever spent in our history. Were starting new studios. Weve started studios in London [and] in Los Angeles. Were growing our organization. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

The Cloud will set us free.

Cloud---Tifa-final-fantasy-68070-8.jpg

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 c_rakestraw  Moderator

This Polygon article has two features Xbox One has that was not shown. They are copying Sony (yeah I know it could have been in development in the same time, still sony showed it first, so they are copying them razz.gif ) and allowing for a friend to take over your game. Great feature. 

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4361974/the-xbox-one-can-talk-to-you-will-feature-remote-play

The Xbox One will also feature the ability to Skype a friend to ask them for help on a game and then allow them to take over gameplay. The feature is designed to allow players to help one another get through sections of a game when they're stuck.

In a demonstration of the feature, a source told us that a message popped up on their screen asking if it was OK if the player they were Skyping with could take over the game. Once the friend took over, the first player was able to watch them play the game. Either player could end the remote play with a button push.

While the feature is already fully functional, the details of its use aren't completely locked in yet. It's not clear, for instance, how long a person can remotely play or if they need to also own the game they are helping their friend play through.

The other feature is Kinect will eventually talk to you. As if Kinect watching you sleep wasn't creepy enough check out this scenario:

The Xbox One's heavy reliance on the Kinect for voice commands will eventually include two-way conversations, according to two sources who tested out the still-in-development feature.

In one scenario, Kinect used its facial recognition to scan a room full of people and note if there was someone in the room it didn't recognize. It then told the console owner that there is someone in the room it didn't recognize and asked the new person to identify themselves. Once the person said their name, Kinect welcomed them and saved their information to the console.

Xbox One's ability to speak will allow it to function more like the iPhone's Siri, according to Microsoft officials who presented the feature. The voice may not be available at the console's launch, but if it isn't it will be added in a post launch patch within the first few months.

I can't help but picture that and the Kinect be like "intruder alert! Intruder alert! initiate kill protocol!" So it seems clear the kinect will be used to see who is watching or playing games, maybe that patent might come true.

dvader654

Was just about to paste this into the opening post. Now I don't have to!

Interesting to see them adopt that feature as well, at any rate.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

This talk about uploading processing power to the cloud makes me wonder - if that's what the next Xbox is relying on to power games, wouldn't an always online connection be mandatory?

RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RandoIphF
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts

So, how many people here who owned the first Xbox and a 360 are out now with the Xbone because of it's draconian anti-consumer measures? I'll remember the good old days when we had a Xbox, and games like PD Ota, JSRF, GunValkyrie, and Shenmue 2. That was a gamers gaming machine. But I won't be going forward with them from here. They could get exclusive dibs to Shenmue 3, and I STILL wouldn't get one. (and I take Shenmue very seriously)

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 c_rakestraw  Moderator

This talk about uploading processing power to the cloud makes me wonder - if that's what the next Xbox is relying on to power games, wouldn't an always online connection be mandatory?

Vari3ty

It'd depend on whether what the cloud's processing are necessary to making the game run or not. Could just be for optional features.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

So, how many people here who owned the first Xbox and a 360 are out now with the Xbone because of it's draconian anti-consumer measures? I'll remember the good old days when we had a Xbox, and games like PD Ota, JSRF, GunValkyrie, and Shenmue 2. That was a gamers gaming machine. But I won't be going forward with them from here. They could get exclusive dibs to Shenmue 3, and I STILL wouldn't get one. (and I take Shenmue very seriously)

RandoIphF
I call bullshit. (Jokingly, of course) But, in all seriousness, having a Shenmue 3 would be pretty huge. Right up there with having a FFVII remake exclusive. It's highly unlikely but it would have many people thinking about what they really want to do and what they truly prioritize in regards to their decision of backi g any console. In my experience it always has.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 juradai

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

c_rake

It'd depend on whether what the cloud's processing are necessary to making the game run or not. Could just be for optional features.

This could give good reason for paying for a Gold account if it allowed for visual upgrades and features to a game, assuming this is what it can do. However, it could be right up there with DLC shovelware, too.
ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThaneKrios28
Member since 2013 • 1551 Posts

xbox Live on Xbox One has been confirmed by Microsoft.  

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xbox_Live_on_Xbox_One

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
The most positive thing about this console reveal is now everyone will leave you alone WiiU fans :P
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 juradai
The most positive thing about this console reveal is now everyone will leave you alone WiiU fans :PGodModeEnabled
You're an evil man.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#16 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

The other feature is Kinect will eventually talk to you. As if Kinect watching you sleep wasn't creepy enough check out this scenario:

dvader654

:p

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 c_rakestraw  Moderator

The most positive thing about this console reveal is now everyone will leave you alone WiiU fans :PGodModeEnabled

Eh. Give it a week. The Wii U can't get off the hook that easily.

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ThaneKrios28
Member since 2013 • 1551 Posts
at least the wiiu is a gaming machine unlike this pos. and no i dont own one but it is what it is
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Another great video, courtesy of the Onion. 

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

This keeps getting better and better

http://me.ign.com/en/news/11383/fyi-the-xbox-one-voice-commands-weren-t-in-real-time

FYI, The Xbox One Voice Commands Weren't in Real-time

Most of us tuned in to the Xbox One reveal on Tuesday night. Being a live conference, anything can go wrong. So it's almost acceptable that 90% of the voice commands during the Xbox One reveal weren't performed based on what what Yusuf Mehdi was saying. Look at the IGN video below (skip to 1:39:00 or click here) and notice that anytime Yusuf begins talking about an Xbox One voice command, his left hand automatically goes into his pocket, presumably to press a clicker to proceed to a new slide or something similar (unless he's playing one-handed ping-pong if you know what I mean).

dvader654

Is that information that IGN is making up out of their ass or is it real? Because we've known IGN to make up stuff to try and be credible.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Here's some details on the Menu and View buttons...

ADuiC79.jpg?1

The Menu button (on the right) will bring up context-specific menus which game and app developers can design to enhance the user experience, Microsoft told IGN. The Menu button could be used in scenarios such as bringing up in-game menus, showing video playback options, and accessing commands on the consoles user interface.

The View button, meanwhile, will change views or provide more information in games and apps. The function of the View button will be driven by developers. Possible uses of the View button include viewing a map during a role playing game, displaying a leaderboard in a first person shooter, and enhancing the navigation of the consoles user interface.

IGN

It really is a nice looking controller.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

http://me.ign.com/en/news/11383/fyi-the-xbox-one-voice-commands-weren-t-in-real-time

Most of us tuned in to the Xbox One reveal on Tuesday night. Being a live conference, anything can go wrong. So it's almost acceptable that 90% of the voice commands during the Xbox One reveal weren't performed based on what what Yusuf Mehdi was saying. Look at the IGN video below (skip to 1:39:00 or click here) and notice that anytime Yusuf begins talking about an Xbox One voice command, his left hand automatically goes into his pocket, presumably to press a clicker to proceed to a new slide or something similar (unless he's playing one-handed ping-pong if you know what I mean).

Metamania

Is that information that IGN is making up out of their ass or is it real? Because we've known IGN to make up stuff to try and be credible.

It cant be true. the system has been in development for years. It must be functional by now.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

S0lidSnake

It cant be true. the system has been in development for years. It must be functional by now.

Exactly. When I watched him do all that, there's just no way a clicker would be involved in getting those pictures to slide the way they did.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Metamania

Here's some details on the Menu and View buttons...

ADuiC79.jpg?1

[QUOTE="IGN"]

The Menu button (on the right) will bring up context-specific menus which game and app developers can design to enhance the user experience, Microsoft told IGN. The Menu button could be used in scenarios such as bringing up in-game menus, showing video playback options, and accessing commands on the consoles user interface.

The View button, meanwhile, will change views or provide more information in games and apps. The function of the View button will be driven by developers. Possible uses of the View button include viewing a map during a role playing game, displaying a leaderboard in a first person shooter, and enhancing the navigation of the consoles user interface.

rragnaar

It really is a nice looking controller.

The controller itself is pretty much the only positive thing about the XBone right now, Rag. It looks comfortable and easy to use, plus they didn't make many huge changes out of it, just a few improvements overall. I think that's a smart move on their part.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

S0lidSnake

Remember Milo's completely fake demo?

project-natal-milo-screenshot-xbox-360-e

In fairness, there's a difference between a system being functional in a living room and working in an auditorium with a lot of ambient noise.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

Most of us tuned in to the Xbox One reveal on Tuesday night. Being a live conference, anything can go wrong. So it's almost acceptable that 90% of the voice commands during the Xbox One reveal weren't performed based on what what Yusuf Mehdi was saying. Look at the IGN video below (skip to 1:39:00 or click here) and notice that anytime Yusuf begins talking about an Xbox One voice command, his left hand automatically goes into his pocket, presumably to press a clicker to proceed to a new slide or something similar (unless he's playing one-handed ping-pong if you know what I mean).

dvader654

Debunked on Gaf and multiple other sources.

Will SS and Dvader please stop posting the crap that's coming off of IGN since this is twice in a row they made up articles? I know you two are very excited to pour down on Microsoft, but I'm sure you can do better than fake information now. You're better posters than that.

Besides, there's plenty of real, factual stuff you can use. 

Thank you;) 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 S0lidSnake

In fairness, there's a difference between a system being functional in a living room and working in an auditorium with a lot of ambient noise.

CarnageHeart

There wasnt really anything that complex shown though. He wasnt talking to a creepy A.I kid. He was just saying Xbox On, Xbox Do This, Do that. If they cant even do something that simple, they wouldve scrapped the whole idea. Xbox Go Home. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Most of us tuned in to the Xbox One reveal on Tuesday night. Being a live conference, anything can go wrong. So it's almost acceptable that 90% of the voice commands during the Xbox One reveal weren't performed based on what what Yusuf Mehdi was saying. Look at the IGN video below (skip to 1:39:00 or click here) and notice that anytime Yusuf begins talking about an Xbox One voice command, his left hand automatically goes into his pocket, presumably to press a clicker to proceed to a new slide or something similar (unless he's playing one-handed ping-pong if you know what I mean).

alexwatchtower

Will SS and Dvader please stop posting the crap that's coming off of IGN since this is twice in a row they made up articles? I know you two are very excited to pour down on Microsoft, but I'm sure you can do better than fake information now. You're better posters than that.

Thank you;) 

This SS better be someone called SlimeySnake because i never freaking linked IGN or any other article where they made shit up. 

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
:lol: Solids new name is slimeysnake. Thread of the year confirmed.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 S0lidSnake

:lol: Solids new name is slimeysnake. Thread of the year confirmed.GodModeEnabled

If I ever get confirmed at neogaf, look me up by that name. 

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 juradai

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

S0lidSnake

There wasnt really anything that complex shown though. He wasnt talking to a creepy A.I kid. He was just saying Xbox On, Xbox Do This, Do that. If they cant even do something that simple, they wouldve scrapped the whole idea. Xbox Go Home. 

I agree with SlimeySnake here.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Debunked on Gaf and multiple other sources.alexwatchtower

Care to link to these other sources?

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

dvader654

Thank you;) 

Why would I believe IGN is posting fake stuff but Neogaf is posting true stuff. That makes no sense.

Because IGN has already botched information in the thread SS posted about used games.

Because anyone that actually watched the video can see he was issuing voice commands when his hands were out of the pocket.

Because it's false.

Because it serves no one to spread bad info.

Because even the premise of it sounds ridiculous. If they wanted to fake it, the would have someone else holding the cliker, not the guy on stage.

Because there were people even using Kinect 1 during the press conference and they were complaining about theirs being affected by their voice commands.

Because there's an actual video that shows it working as advertised, with voice commands and everything, even after the show.

And finally because IGN's probably grumpy Wired got all the exlusive stuff.

Why reward bad journalism, and click leaching with attention?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Metamania

I have a question...

Can you....say, play a videogame while doing something else on the side or does it only focus on the videogame itself? I've seen that you can watch a TV show and browse on the Internet, so is that possible?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 S0lidSnake

Because IGN has already botched information in the thread SS posted about used games.

alexwatchtower

Holy crap. I actually went back and looked at that thread and the info IGN supposedly got wrong actually turned out to be true. It was the MS executive who flat out lied on twitter. 

Here it is:

Update: Looks like IGN just made stuff up.

945245_10200813484246901_1790377615_n.jp

Thought it was big enough to warrant its own thread. Didnt want the news getting buried in the other thread.

Xbox One game discs are only used for initial installation, fee charged for second account

Microsoft has said that a fee will be charged for any game disc to be tied to a second Xbox Live account after its initial installation. This is likely to limit the market for second-hand games, but would not eliminate the possibility altogether. The company is yet to confirm whether players will be able to play games from disc or run them on secondary accounts without paying for the installation, nor has it given any indication of what the fee may be.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

This Polygon article has two features Xbox One has that was not shown. They are copying Sony (yeah I know it could have been in development in the same time, still sony showed it first, so they are copying them razz.gif ) and allowing for a friend to take over your game. Great feature. 

dvader654

I think that's the dumbest feature in the history of gaming. Yeah, I totally buy games so I can give other people control over it and then watch them play it. Seriously, what the hell is the purpose of this shit?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 S0lidSnake

I have a question...

Can you....say, play a videogame while doing something else on the side or does it only focus on the videogame itself? I've seen that you can watch a TV show and browse on the Internet, so is that possible?

Metamania

They have three OSs and the leaked specs talked about three different display planes or resolutions or something weird like that. Some assumed that it was for picture in picture so it's a definite possiblity to do picture in picture with games/movies or games/apps.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

UpInFlames

I think that's the dumbest feature in the history of gaming. Yeah, I totally buy games so I can give other people control over it and then watch them play it. Seriously, what the hell is the purpose of this shit?

It's called dvader mode. When I get stuck at some stupid f*cking plant boss in Super Metroid. dvader can jump in and beat it for me. 

OR you can show/demo your stubborn friends some cool segment from the middle of the game to convince them to buy the game. 

And by stubborn I mean UIF. 

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

I have a question...

S0lidSnake

They have three OSs and the leaked specs talked about three different display planes or resolutions or something weird like that. Some assumed that it was for picture in picture so it's a definite possiblity to do picture in picture with games/movies or games/apps.

Then let's hope it becomes a reality. I mean, it's cool if it happens, but I need MS to be more of a priority to games than all these social interaction and live TV features and crap...leave that for the casual fanbase to drool over. Fact is, Microsoft really have to kick A LOT of ass at E3 with a bunch of exclusives and surprises that will make us go "Holy shit, you finally got us." That needs to happen...if it doesn't, too bad.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 UpInFlames

RandoIphF

I owned both Xbox consoles, but it's way too early for that kind of thinking. I'm a late adopter, if I even decide to buy any console, it'll be maybe in two years at the earliest. So there will be plenty of time to figure stuff out.

By the way, if Shenmue 3 ever gets made I hope it's not released on any system I own. :)

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
When you argue about real time and kinect, are you guys talking about the dude on stage controlling the xbox via kinect? Cause that was painfully NOT real time and microsoft does this every f*cking year, how are people still falling for it? Carnage just reminded you about Milo, listen to what the man is saying, for christ's sake.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

S0lidSnake

It's called dvader mode. When I get stuck at some stupid f*cking plant boss in Super Metroid. dvader can jump in and beat it for me. 

OR you can show/demo your stubborn friends some cool segment from the middle of the game to convince them to buy the game. 

And by stubborn I mean UIF. 

Yeah, because we all get stuck in modern games so much, right?

And there's no way they'll let you play a game you don't own yourself.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 juradai

[QUOTE="RandoIphF"]

UpInFlames

I owned both Xbox consoles, but it's way too early for that kind of thinking. I'm a late adopter, if I even decide to buy any console, it'll be maybe in two years at the earliest. So there will be plenty of time to figure stuff out.

By the way, if Shenmue 3 ever gets made I hope it's not released on any system I own. :)

I hope it is just to annoy you. And, if it is then ill make a video about it and dedicate it to you. I'll call it "As Hardcore As It Gets". You know I love you!
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
And there's no way they'll let you play a game you don't own yourself.UpInFlames
This is actually an extremely good point. Regarding both consoles actually. We should elaborate on this.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 UpInFlames

Do you have any idea how many people are playing a game and are like "I quit, i cant get passed that part." Well now someone can get passed that part for them. Solid this past week started Super Metroid and was stuck almost instantly, if I was there he would have gotten further and possibly enjoyed it more.dvader654

If you quit a game, for any reason, you're probably not enjoying it all that much to begin with.

Anyway, you have to find a friend who has the same game, then you have to see if he's online. If not, then you wait. Then sometime you see him online, but he's playing his own game and can't be bothered with you right now.

OR - you could just check out a walkthrough and do it yourself right away.

I'm really interested to see how much will you guys be using this crap.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Whatever the outcome, I agree with SlimeySnake. On the basis of his name alone. 

That "get someone to play your game for you" sounds nice only in a handful of possible scenarios. If I'm stuck with a game I lower its difficulty, if there's co-op available I seek help. If there's nothing to be done then it's not a game for me. Simple. 

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 UpInFlames

I hope it is just to annoy you. And, if it is then ill make a video about it and dedicate it to you. I'll call it "As Hardcore As It Gets". You know I love you!juradai

:lol: