Official Super Mario 3D World thread of potential GOTY.

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Second AAAE Nintendo game in a week. Nice.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

@iHarlequin: Here in the general discussion forums? I don't think people would have an issue with metacritic. As for your downloadable game sentimients, I agree. In terms of downloadable/indie games they never seem to disappoint. However, in general, I guess I've simply not been impressed was games this year. But, I think that also has to do with the fact that I haven't really played as much as I should... maybe my opinion will change a year from now.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#54 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12034 Posts

If I were to get a Wii U for any game, it would be this one. Mario games never failed to disappoint me.

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#55 dvader654
Member since 2002 • 44751 Posts

To think this was the game a bunch of us bashed at e3. To be fair it was a poor e3 showing. I hope the word gets out that this is one of the best Mario games ever made.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#56 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

http://up.massrelevance.com/massrel-products/photo-wall-v8/popup.html?config=gametrailersmr/game-trailer-gallery

For some reason the Image thing on the forums here doesn't work for me. This was from Nintendo's twitter. It's cat Luigi jumping for joy because it's Caturday. Seriously how are there not tons of Mario cat memes? Mario can has cheezburger.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

F*** you Nintendo.... you make me want to buy a Wii U just for this game.

Wonder how long I can hold out. :P

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 dvader654

Finished world 1, the game is clearly better than any NSMB game. Graphics are GORGEOUS! Music is incredible! There are nods to every single mario game in there.

That said from my first impression it does not have the magic of Galaxy or that feel of the 3D mario. Even though its a 3D mario it feels like it has more in common with 2D mario. Well it is Mario 3D Land on a much bigger scale so you can kind of have an idea of what to expect.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Jbul

@dvader654: Hmm. 3D Land didn't vibe with me too well. I was just coming off Galaxy and was really missing that incredible music, for one. It was still a good game but nowhere near the same league as Galaxy.

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By dvader654

Played for about 4 hours straight, WOW this game gets better and better as you play. It just goes from, ok this is fun Mario too OMG this is insane!!!! There is no one thing it focuses on for more than 5 minutes, every level seems to be a whole new theme and scenario. On one hand it keeps the variety and quality up but it looses that feeling of mastering a world.

Oh and the music!!!!! It may surpass Galaxy as the best soundtrack. The only knock I can find are the bosses which are few and kind of sucky. Nothing like the big bosses in Galaxy.

wowwow27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#61 wowwow27
Member since 2006 • 257 Posts

Zelda is going to give it a run for its money.

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 dvader654

Almost to world 7, not Galaxy level and that is fine. Its Mario 64 level for me, its fantastic. It passes Rayman as the best platformer of the year. There is new stuff almost every level, I'm like 6 hours in and still being surprised. As insanly imaginative as it is it just doesn't have that magic Galaxy had, I dont know if it was the bigger more open levels or the use of gravity but Galaxy is simply better.

Is it my GOTY yet, ehhh not yet but I figure I still have a long way to go so if all the later stuff is excellent it could be.

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By dvader654

I finished the main game, great final boss. Its an excellent game but too simple in it's presentation. Its a random collection of small levels strung together. They are great levels but it doesnt have that magic that Galaxy has. If I were to rank the 3D Marios I would put this game only ahead of Sunshine.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

It's apparently selling poorly in Japan.

Super Mario 3D World suffered a similar fate, moving just 99,588 copies. That figure makes for the lowest first week sales of any 3D Mario title. Even the Super Mario 64 remake on Nintendo DS sold better with 120,062. Yikes.

The acclaimed platformer also failed to spur Wii U hardware sales, which stood neck and neck with the PlayStation Vita at around 21,000. That's a mere 5,000 unit increase over the previous week, indicating Super Mario 3D World isn't quite the system-seller Nintendo so desperately needs.

That said, Nintendo games tend to have long tails, frequently continuing to chart weeks and even months after launch. Super Mario 3D World could very well go on to see success as a slow burner.

Meanwhile, trashy fan service game and sequel to a sequel to a game no one liked Lightning Returns posted 277,082 sold. It's the lowest selling first week Japan numbers for a FFXIII game, and it's on a system with a bigger install base, but it's still very discouraging to see that kind of stuff outsell a new Mario game. (that isn't a "New" SMB game that drives you crazy with DAH DAH every three DAH DAH seconds that you are playing the DAH DAH damned game)

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Jbul

Playing the game -- I'm at the end of World 3 and I'm blown away.. Pure Nintendo magic. I'm having just as much fun as I did playing the Galaxy games, if not more. I can't stop smiling when I play.. Every single level offers something new, fun, and surprising. I'd be quite shocked if by the end this game isn't my favorite Mario of all-time. Kind of depressing that games this joyful, pure, and magical really don't exist outside of Nintendo anymore. Wait, did they ever? :/

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jbul

Knack has outsold SM3DW since launch (despite the Wii U currently having double the install base). This is not a world I want to live in.

Also, where the hell is Leo? He loves Mario

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dvader654

@Jbul said:

Knack has outsold SM3DW since launch (despite the Wii U currently having double the install base). This is not a world I want to live in.

Leo is mostly at vgpress, I am sure he is lurks though.

I finished every level. Excellent game but not Galaxy level.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

It's a shame critical acclaim can't push sales numbers. This pretty much proves that a games metacritic rating has no connection to how well a game will do commercially.

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 dvader654

@SirWander said:

It's a shame critical acclaim can't push sales numbers. This pretty much proves that a games metacritic rating has no connection to how well a game will do commercially.

I think the Wii U selling terribly is the main culprit.

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 dvader654

@SirWander said:

I think the Wii U selling terribly is the main culprit.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Maybe Nintendo was hoping that 3D World might be a system seller.

Personally I'm waiting for Bayonetta 2 before I get a Wii U, even though 3D World, Wind Waker HD, and The Wonderful 101 all look amazing.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#73  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@SirWander said:

The line of well reviewed commercial disappointments wraps around the block ten times. Gushing reviews aren't going to make most gamers run out and buy a game whose concept doesn't interest them (personal tastes matter a lot).

Its long been my pet theory that sales of games in long running franchises have more to do with people's past experience with the franchise than anything else.

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/blog/?page=4

On a related note, the somewhat disappointing sales of RE4, DMC3 and MGS3 is due to the fact that they were brilliant follow-ups to high-selling, but disappointing games. Strong reviews, great word of mouth and plenty of advertising did not really help any of the aforementioned games because personal experience overrules all other factors for most gamers.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Bigboi500

@Jbul said:

With games like Battlefield and Call of Duty selling so much, nothing surprises me these days in the gaming world.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jbul

@dvader654: Galaxy 1 is one of the top 1 or 2 games ever made, G2 just didn't have the same magic to me. Currently, this game sits just below Galaxy as my favorite Mario, but its damn close.

Sad to think we won't see a Mario game of this caliber again for many many years, which is why I'm taking my time with it.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Jbul

@Bigboi500 said:

@Jbul said:

With games like Battlefield and Call of Duty selling so much, nothing surprises me these days in the gaming world.

The best Nintendo games instill a sense of wonder and joy that remind me, more than any other developer, why I continue to be passionate about gaming after 30+ years -- fun. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love my PS4 and its graphically insane games but when Nintendo are at their best, they're hard to touch.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#77 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@Jbul said:

@dvader654: Galaxy 1 is one of the top 1 or 2 games ever made, G2 just didn't have the same magic to me. Currently, this game sits just below Galaxy as my favorite Mario, but its damn close.

Sad to think we won't see a Mario game of this caliber again for many many years, which is why I'm taking my time with it.

What makes you think that? From what I understand, the Galaxy team is still working on an unannounced game that may well be Galaxy 3.

Which Nintendo team made this game? Retro is working on fucking Donkey Kong and the Zelda team is working on Zelda, what's the galaxy team doing then?

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Jbul

@S0lidSnake said:

@Jbul said:

What makes you think that? From what I understand, the Galaxy team is still working on an unannounced game that may well be Galaxy 3.

Which Nintendo team made this game? Retro is working on fucking Donkey Kong and the Zelda team is working on Zelda, what's the galaxy team doing then?

Tokyo EAD, the team that makes the Galaxy games, made Super Mario 3D World. Sure, MIyamoto may say he doesn't rule out another Galaxy, but IF there is one for the Wii U we won't see it for a few years.

Also, Miyamoto has stated that this is the last Mario game he'll work on (according to him the development of SM3DW was "very stressful and taxing") -- but not to fret because "Mario is in good hands".

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#79 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

This game is amazing. Just finished world 2. The graphics are beautiful. I love how every level has you doing something different. I almost wanted to keep playing this instead of going back to Zelda.

Almost.

So much better than the drug induced trip that was Galaxy.

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By dvader654

@Jbul said:

Why not? Nintendo is pumping out Mario games more than ever.

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By dvader654

@S0lidSnake said:

This game is amazing. Just finished world 2. The graphics are beautiful. I love how every level has you doing something different. I almost wanted to keep playing this instead of going back to Zelda.

Almost.

So much better than the drug induced trip that was Galaxy.

I was so pleased reading this post, then I got to the last line.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Bigboi500

This game is like the melted frothy marshmallows that sits atop your hot chocolate.

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By dvader654

The final FINAL level is IMPOSSIBLE. This makes the final hard level in Galaxy 2 seem like childs play.