Obscure games for the GBA

This topic is locked from further discussion.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
Got a pleasant surprise when I was going thorugh some of my old stuff.. Found my gameboy micro after almost 5 years (yay).. i have played extensively on this little guy, am done with the final fantasies, mario, zelda offerings and most of the well known stuff.. what i want to know is if there are any relatively obscure games which in your opinion are must play.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Not sure about the must play part (haven't beaten any of these games I'm gonna list) but Yggdra Union, Riviera the Promised Land and Super Robot Taisen OG Saga 1 and 2 are all games that have recieved generally positive response and are fairly obscure.  Like I said, I have yet to beat any of them, but their MC scores are all decent. Basically the main complaint is that they're too complex (although I've heard Riviera isn't complex enough, it gets repetitive but the story's good... I can see that, I'm a few hours in and the story is pretty enat but the gameplay is eh) so if you like really different/ complex RPG games then they might all be worth checking out.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 voljin1987

Not sure about the must play part (haven't beaten any of these games I'm gonna list) but Yggdra Union, Riviera the Promised Land and Super Robot Taisen OG Saga 1 and 2 are all games that have recieved generally positive response and are fairly obscure.  Like I said, I have yet to beat any of them, but their MC scores are all decent. Basically the main complaint is that they're too complex (although I've heard Riviera isn't complex enough, it gets repetitive but the story's good... I can see that, I'm a few hours in and the story is pretty enat but the gameplay is eh) so if you like really different/ complex RPG games then they might all be worth checking out.

turtlethetaffer
i love my rpgs to be complex.. thanks for your recommendations.. genrally any game from atlus i end up playing sooner or later.. so i am done with riviera and it was a fun romp.. havent played the others.. thanks will look into those.. i also found summon night 2.. have u played it? any feedback on it...
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Astro Boy: Omega Factor Bomberman Tournament Drill Dozer Gunstar Super Heroes Lunar Legend (PS1 version is better but GBA one is pretty good) Medal of Honor: Infiltrator Rebelstar Tactical Command Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis They're not obscure at all but the Advance Wars and Fire Emblem games are worth playing if you haven't.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

Mazes of Fate is a pretty good WRPG for it

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#6 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Not sure what counts as obscure so I'll just throw out some stuff I don't see people talk about much:

Lord of the Rings Two Towers/Return of the King - I didn't expect much from these but they are really well done dungeon crawlers and there's not a lot of dungeon crawlers on handheld. They're short to just playthrough but you have an option of many different characters and each one's storyline is a little different. They are based on the movies much more so than coming straight from the books if that matters to you though.

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong - I know you said you played all the Mario games but sometimes people don't count this one. I guess people count it as a Donkey Kong game rather than Mario. Anyway, if you like puzzle platformers, this is as good as it gets in my opinion.

Sigma Star Saga - This one has it's problems but it is a really unique console RPG. Instead of your usual combat sequences, there are short side-scroller schmup levels. I really like the story to this one as well.

Klonoa Empire of Dreams/Dream Champ Tournament - Great puzzle platfomers. They are pretty easy but fun w/ really nice art style and music.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

voljin1987

i love my rpgs to be complex.. thanks for your recommendations.. genrally any game from atlus i end up playing sooner or later.. so i am done with riviera and it was a fun romp.. havent played the others.. thanks will look into those.. i also found summon night 2.. have u played it? any feedback on it...

Sadly I have yet to play Summon Night games :( I've heard they're really fun though.

Also remember, Super Robot Taisen is not an RPG but a grid/ turn based strategy game... Although untis can level up and stuff, but just keep that in mind... the games are pretty tough too, so it may not be for you. 

i'd reccomend doing some research beforehand. And from what I understand Yggdra Union is enjoyable to pretty much any Atlus fan, since they're used to ridiculously complex RPGs :P   Also, Yggdra Union and riviera are actually technically a part of a series called Department Heaven. None of the games are directly connected though, but if you have a DS/ 3DS and you enjoyed Riviera/ Yggdra Union, I can't reccomend Knights in the Nightmare on DS highly enough. That was the first Dept. Heaven game I played and I was blown away... Uber complex, too, so if you like complexity, you should enjoy that game.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Not sure if it can be considered "obscure", but I enjoyed Kuru Kuru Kururin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eHxHYUmJs

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
when you say "obscure" gba games, the first thing that came to my mind was love hina. I'm assuming its based on some anime. at first I was like wth is this, but later discovered the game was really comical. the only thing is it's really short and bc of the style of gameplay, there's no replay value.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#10 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
DemiKids: Dark Version and DemiKids: Light Version. I love them. I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy but... I love them.
csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

Medabots: Metabee or Rokusho version. Pretty fun RPGs that I played a bit as a kid

Lufia Ruins of Lore is ok, it's pretty challenging (not as good as the SNES versions) but still a decent RPG.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Ninja Five O or Ninja Cop as it is known in Europe. 

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 voljin1987
Thanks for the suggestions guys.. got myself guru logi champs..seems like a very cute game :P for rpgs.. decided against yggdra union as its card based.. will be getting lufia shortly and after that is done either a breath of fire 2 or summon night 2.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#14 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Tactics Ogre Knights of Lodis and the Super Robot Tesien Original Generation games.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#15 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

if you like gta driver 2 and driv3r gta advance are all good gta style games and youll really see the power of the graphics that little handheld can provide i was surprised ds wasnt much better for the most part cause hardly anyone pushed its power