Obscure Arcade Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AZRockslide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AZRockslide
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts

This is probably for some of the older gamers here, but what were some of your favoite more obscure arcade games?

I'm not talking about the ones everyone knows about. In other words, don't come in here and say "Man, I really liked Street Figher 2!" I want to know what games you would go out of your way to play. In other words, you would intentionally go to an arcade further away from you because you specifically wamted to play these games. Describe the game as well, since many people may not know it by name but recognize it's description.

I'll open up with a few:

Cliffhanger: I was a big fan of the Cartoon Action game back in the day (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc). There were 2 of them that really stood out in my mind (I'll get to the other next). One was Cliffhanger, a cartoon action game based around the anime character Lupin the Third. You actually had 2 separate buttons for this game, one corresponding to action done by hands and the other by feet. THe second stage involved trying to rescue a girl in a car chase that had you driving up the side of a mountain. Great game, and I only remember ever seeing it in one roller rink.

Super Don Quixote: This would be the other cartoon action game that I loved. You had joystick and sword button, and you faced off against several different fantasy creatures as the title character. What set this one apart is it was much more up front with telling you what to do next, actually showing the joystick moving in the direction you needed or the sword button. If you think this made the game easy, think again. In later rounds, you had to process the symbol very quickly in order to make the propper move. There were alos hidden moves that would give you bigger point bonusses.

Dungeons and Dragons Arcade Game: DOn't know how rare this game actually was, but it holds a special place in my heart. They had it at the arcade at my college. Four player game in which you took the roles of a dwarven fighter, human soldier, human cleric and elfen mage. You proceeded through many different levels, including one area where you could choose to face off against the giant red dragon or face the beholder. Though some people thought facing the Beholder was the best choice, if you knew what you were doing, the Red Dragon was easier. There were a group of about 6 of us at the school who would meet at the game, each of us specializing in two different character or so. When we played together, it was nto unusual for at least one of us to beat the game on one quarter. The game play was great, though the ending was horrible.

So, there's a few to get us started. What are some of your favorite obscure games. 

martinoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 martinoob
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts

there was one laser disk game  from the early eighties, it was a futuristic motobike racing fest which i always remember playing but cant remember the name, even after searching on the internet, i only ever saw it whilst on holiday.. but it always sticks out in my mind as a game i was amazed at.