NPD August 2012

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

1.)Darksiders 2 (360, PS3, PC) THQ -247K
2.) New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) Nintendo -240K
3.) Kingdom Hearts 3D (3DS) Square Enix -180K(for comparison, KH:BbS on PSP did 225K in its opening month with the same number of days)
4.) NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
5.) Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC) Warner Bros
6.) Sleeping Dogs (360, PS3) Square Enix Above 150k
7.) Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (360, PS3) Activision Blizzard -105K
8.) Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC) Warner Bros
9.) Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC) Activision Blizzard
10.) The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, NDS, 3DS, Wii) Activision Blizzard

The Last Story less than 40k

Persona 4 Arena less than 50k

Hardware:
Xbox 360:193k(-37.3%)
3DS: Above 177k
PS3: Above last month, below 218K (last year)

Vita:Sub 40k (Its worst month yet.)

DS:Around 100k.

PSP: Sub 10k

Xbox 360 maintains its lead in the U.S. console market marking the 20th consecutive month as the top-selling current-generation console in the U.S.

August 2012 U.S. NPD highlights:
· Xbox 360 sold 193,000 units in August, more units than any other current generation console, and held 48 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S. This marks the 18th consecutive month that Xbox 360 has held more than a 40 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, August 2012)

· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in August (hardware, software and accessories) reached $196 million; consumers spent more on Xbox 360 products in August than they spent on the other two current-generation consoles combined. (Source: NPD Group, August 2012)

· During the month of August, Xbox 360 held five of the top 10 U.S. console game titles including: Darksiders II, NCAA Football 12, Sleeping Dogs, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron and Call of Duty: Black Ops II. (Source: NPD Group, August 2012)

There has never been a better time to own an Xbox 360 than this holiday. This fall, Xbox 360 is gearing up to launch a suite of new entertainment and gaming experiences including the years hottest blockbuster games; Halo 4, Forza Horizon, Dance Central 3 and Fable: The Journey.

Also on the horizon for this year are breakthrough Xbox 360 experiences for the whole family such as Kinect Sesame Street TV, Kinect Nat Geo TV and Nike+ Kinect Training, alongside Internet Explorer for Xbox 360, Xbox for Windows 8, Xbox SmartGlass and Xbox Music.MS PR

Even with only five days of reported data, Nintendo 3DS XL and New Super Mario Bros. 2 still had major impacts on the August video game market. The new hardware, which features 90 percent larger screens than the original Nintendo 3DS, and the new side-scrolling Mario adventure both launched on Aug. 19 and helped Nintendo achieve the following:

• Nintendo 3DS software sales increased by more than 68 percent over sales in July.
  • Nintendo 3DS hardware sales increased by more than 36 percent over sales in July.
  • The No. 1 and No. 2 top-selling software SKUs for the month are both exclusive to Nintendo 3DS.New Super Mario Bros. 2 sold more than 240,000 units to finish No. 1, and KINGDOM HEARTS 3D [Dream Drop Distance] from Square Enix sold more than 180,000 copies to finish No. 2.

Software sells hardware, and no one sells either quite like Mario, said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of Americas executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. In addition to helping New Super Mario Bros. 2 get off to a great start, Nintendo 3DS XL is driving increased interest in titles such as Kid Icarus: Uprising, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and Mario Kart 7. These games have been on the market for more than six months but provide a completely new experience on the larger screens. Combine these titles with the upcoming Paper Mario: Sticker Star and a robust list of third-party games, and Nintendo 3DS is poised to be high on holiday wish lists this year.

For more information about Nintendo, visithttp://www.nintendo.com.Nintendo PR

These sales figures represent new physical retail sales of hardware, software and accessories, which account for roughly 50% of the total consumer spend on games. When you consider our preliminary estimate for other physical format sales in August such as used and rentals at $104MM, and our estimate for digital format sales including full game and add-on content downloads including microtransactions, subscriptions, mobile apps and the consumer spend on social network games at $391MM, we would estimate the total consumer spend in August to be $989MM. Our final assessment of the consumer spend in these areas outside of new physical retail sales will be reported in November in our Q3 Games Market Dynamics: U.S. report.

You cant talk about the gaming market without taking into consideration the growth in the number of mobile gamers on smartphones and tablets. Our recently released gamer segmentation research indicates that the mobile gamer segment of the market is now slightly larger than the core gamer segment, although their monetary value to the industry varies significantly. The industry foundation will always be the core gamer who spends 35 percent more on physical games than does the average gamer.

Hardware
Of the platforms that were on the market last August, none realized a year-over-year sales increase. However, compared to July 2012, the 3DS and the PS3 both experienced unit sales increases in August.

The 3DS XL launched on 8/19 and represented 44 percent of total 3DS unit sales, which is noteworthy given the fact that only seven days of 3DS sales are captured in this report.

The current hardware systems are showing their age, so it goes without saying that it would be great to have new systems breathe life into traditional retail industry sales. I am anxious to learn more about the Wii U launch later this month. And with any luck we will hear news about other systems on the horizon.

Software
Within software, the high definition platforms posted only a slight 1 percent decline in dollar sales as compared to last August, pointing to a stabilization in that portion of the retail market for games content.

One factor contributing to the softness we have seen in retail content sales so far in 2012 has been the decline in the sheer number of new titles. This, however, was not the case in August because there were more new titles when compared to last year; titles with sales that were significantly better than last years launches. So, what were seeing impact August results is the domino effect of the light release schedule from earlier in the year. That lack of new releases has had a significant impact on subsequent months sales.

Accessories

Similar to what weve seen in previous months, the top of the sales list for accessories is dominated by point and subscription card sales, as well as Skylander character pack sales.NPD

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

They've really screwed themselves this generation.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#3 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

You know things a looking kinda grim when the biggest game of the month only sold 247k. Can only hope things will get better once the holiday season arrives.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shame-usBlackley

You know things a looking kinda grim when the biggest game of the month only sold 247k. Can only hope things will get better once the holiday season arrives.

c_rake

Word around the campfire is that Microsoft won't be able to make a '13 launch now if the rumors about component shortages are true, which means they are fvcked good and proper. Two more holiday seasons with ancient hardware and a market that has been pining to move on might be enough to screw them for an entire generation. Oh well, they've always got Kinect... that'll save them. I mean, just look at all those Kinect titles lighting up the charts.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Thefatness16

Vita did less than 40k.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

Wow only 247K in sales? DS2 might not be as popular as other franchises but it seems like we're following the Japanese and buying more games on portables, smartphones, tablets you name it.

This new generation is starting to remind me of the Japanese market just before the start of this generation of hardware. Its hard to compete when you have cheap games you can buy vs a $60 game , and ancient hardware thats delivering the same games for almost 5 years now. Its going to be interesting to see how AC3, Halo 4, BLOPS 2 sell this holiday season compared to their predecessors.

Q1 2013 can't come soon enough.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shame-usBlackley

Also, terrible numbers for Darksiders II. When a high quality game in a genre that hasn't been whipped to death comes out in a month with literally NO COMPETITION and sells 250k? Well, that's an erosional market issue, not something related solely to Darksiders II.

My belief is that people have had it with this bullshlt of charging $60 for a game and then getting nickel and dimed for features that will show up in the retail sku if they wait a few months, and it's hard to argue against that if that is indeed what is happening. This industry decided at some point to fvck the Day One Buyer and I think they believed that we would just be there in spite of it all. I know I have begun holding off on buying games I really wanted. I just now bought Arkham City and got every single bit of additional content included with the game for $28. How is that even debatable? The industry, NOT THE BUYER, has made it more attractive to wait, and so waiting is what more people are doing, or so it seems. The market decides what it will bear, it's just too bad that good games without crap strategies like Day One DLC and Season Passes get hit too. Once a buyer begins waiting on a few games, it becomes easier to wait on all of them, not just the ones pulling the horseshlt.

Sales 101: you have to give potential buyers more reasons to say yes than no. Ancient, overpriced hardware and software models that would make the local used car salesman blush are NOT the way to do it.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Word around the campfire is that Microsoft won't be able to make a '13 launch now if the rumors about component shortages are true, which means they are fvcked good and proper. Two more holiday seasons with ancient hardware and a market that has been pining to move on might be enough to screw them for an entire generation. Oh well, they've always got Kinect... that'll save them.Shame-usBlackley

Yeah. Somehow doubt that would stop them from releasing a new console anyway. I mean, short supplies didn't stop Sony with the PS3. They had, what --- 500k total at launch? Could probably play it off with a few marketing spins.

If it is true, I'm hoping that will get Sony into gear to get the next PlayStation out before next year's end. They've been cagey about launching next year, if I recall correctly (something about not being ready, I think?). Getting the next PlayStation out before the next Xbox would give them good momentum, especially if they price it right.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Thefatness16

DS did around 100k

The Last Story did less than 40k

Sleeping Dogs did over 150k

Persona 4 Arena did less than 50k

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Vita did less than 40k.Thefatness16

They really have to give the Vita a price drop. That and secure some actual exclusive content for it. All this cross-play stuff may be great for us, but it really isn't doing the Vita any favors. Defeats the purpose of owning one when an increasing portion of its games are being released on PS3 as well.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]Vita did less than 40k.c_rake

They really have to give the Vita a price drop. That and secure some actual exclusive content for it. All this cross-play stuff may be great for us, but it really isn't doing the Vita any favors. Defeats the purpose of owning one when an increasing portion of its games are being released on PS3 as well.

It's dead. Nothing will bring it back, because it was stillborn.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts
Pretty slow month. I imagine that things will really pick up in the game department when more of the heavy hitters like Black Ops 2 and Halo 4 hit, those will be huge. The 360 and PS3 really need to see a price-cut and I'd be willing to bet that it'll be in the next month or two. Nice to see Darksiders 2, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron in the top ten even though the numbers are pretty low. I recently picked up NSMB2 and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron and would like to get Darksiders 2 sometime soon.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]Vita did less than 40k.c_rake

I'm really itching to get a Vita myself but after getting burned by picking up the 3DS right at launch I can't help but feel there will be a price-cut soon. As soon as there is I'll be picking one up asap.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]Word around the campfire is that Microsoft won't be able to make a '13 launch now if the rumors about component shortages are true, which means they are fvcked good and proper. Two more holiday seasons with ancient hardware and a market that has been pining to move on might be enough to screw them for an entire generation. Oh well, they've always got Kinect... that'll save them.c_rake

Yeah. Somehow doubt that would stop them from releasing a new console anyway. I mean, short supplies didn't stop Sony with the PS3. They had, what --- 500k total at launch? Could probably play it off with a few marketing spins.

If it is true, I'm hoping that will get Sony into gear to get the next PlayStation out before next year's end. They've been cagey about launching next year, if I recall correctly (something about not being ready, I think?). Getting the next PlayStation out before the next Xbox would give them good momentum, especially if they price it right.

I don't know, I don't think Microsoft particularly enjoyed almost getting class-actioned on the 360 and losing a billion dollars or whatever ungodly amount it was. Sony needs to capitalize on Microsoft's stumbles. They already miscalculated about Kinect being able to keep the current generation going longer, but if they can't release until 2014, Sony would be absolutely stupid not to draw first blood and hit the market at a respectable price. Start building that library up and getting loyalty back over the course of a year they could damage MS' chances with 720 immensely; put them on defense for the entire generation.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 c_rakestraw  Moderator

I don't know, I don't think Microsoft particularly enjoyed almost getting class-actioned on the 360 and losing a billion dollars or whatever ungodly amount it was. Sony needs to capitalize on Microsoft's stumbles. They already miscalculated about Kinect being able to keep the current generation going longer, but if they can't release until 2014, Sony would be absolutely stupid not to draw first blood and hit the market at a respectable price. Start building that library up and getting loyalty back over the course of a year they could damage MS' chances with 720 immensely; put them on defense for the entire generation.Shame-usBlackley

All the lawsuits resulted from Microsoft knowingly releasing a console with faulty architecture. Rumors have said it's a case where, for the new Xbox, they're simply having trouble producing components. Only backlash they'd get is for not meeting demand fast enough. I could see them being willing to put up with that if the console were up to snuff. Now if the console was busted again... then I don't think they'd be taking chances.

What Sony really needs to do, apart from launch before the next Xbox, is enhance their online service to be on par with Xbox Live. If they can get all their basic functionality to be the same as what Live offers, but for free, they would win tons of good will, not to mention force Microsoft to reevaluate Live. Continuing to pay for functionality that the competition could offer for free would be one of hell of a retaliation.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Man you f*ckers didnt pick up Sleeping Dogs.

And then people b*tch about there not being any new IPs. We dont f*cking deserve them.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]I don't know, I don't think Microsoft particularly enjoyed almost getting class-actioned on the 360 and losing a billion dollars or whatever ungodly amount it was. Sony needs to capitalize on Microsoft's stumbles. They already miscalculated about Kinect being able to keep the current generation going longer, but if they can't release until 2014, Sony would be absolutely stupid not to draw first blood and hit the market at a respectable price. Start building that library up and getting loyalty back over the course of a year they could damage MS' chances with 720 immensely; put them on defense for the entire generation.c_rake

All the lawsuits resulted from Microsoft knowingly releasing a console with faulty architecture. Rumors have said it's a case where, for the new Xbox, they're simply having trouble producing components. Only backlash they'd get is for not meeting demand fast enough. I could see them being willing to put up with that if the console were up to snuff. Now if the console was busted again... then I don't think they'd be taking chances.

What Sony really needs to do, apart from launch before the next Xbox, is enhance their online service to be on par with Xbox Live. If they can get all their basic functionality to be the same as what Live offers, but for free, they would win tons of good will, not to mention force Microsoft to reevaluate Live. Continuing to pay for functionality that the competition could offer for free would be one of hell of a retaliation.

Yes, but one of the reasons they knowingly released a busted product was because they were rushing to get it out. And it was a calculated risk. After all, Sony had been the industry leader for two generations prior, and was class-actioned themselves for releasing busted hardware with the PS2. Still, for some reason, the DRE errors didn't smear Sony's reputation like the RROD did Microsoft. Prior to writing them off, I was a huge supporter of theirs, and I would never have bought another system from them for at least a year after launch, and I know there are a lot of people who felt burned by the 360's reliability and also won't jump in right away. The bltch of that is: it adds a year to whatever year Microsoft launches in to get those people. So in other words -- a 2014 launch is now a 2015 launch, regardless of whether they launch the thing in tiny supplies that no one can get or not at all. A lot of people will still want to see whether it has issues or not, and that's something only time can remedy.

I think what Sony needs to do is preach focus. They need to come out and say, "Folks, this is a fvcking game box. It's made to play games before anything else." They need to renew that compact with the hardcore crowd, because there are a lot of us who feel like Microsoft has gone soft upstairs by focusing on all the other groups besides us. And then they need to make it affordable. $299 would be ideal, but not a penny over $350. Release that a year (possibly two) before Microsoft, and screw trying to match Live. Live is a pay service and you can't match it pound for pound and still do it for free. What they need to do is figure out the most important facets of Live to emulate, and emulate those well. And do that for free. Then we're talking.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shame-usBlackley

And then people b*tch about there not being any new IPs. We dont f*cking deserve them.

S0lidSnake

I my pick it up once the full version comes out. I've heard pretty good things about it.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
This is such a dull year for games. I picked up P4 Arena and I'm getting Tekken Tag 2, and I think I'm done after that. We need new hardware.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Damn that's some bad numbers. It has been a very boring year for games. I got my copy of Dishonored fully paid for and preorderd though, besides that not interested in too much else this fall.
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
I have 4 games preordered and none of them are this year...
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Yes, but one of the reasons they knowingly released a busted product was because they were rushing to get it out. And it was a calculated risk. After all, Sony had been the industry leader for two generations prior, and was class-actioned themselves for releasing busted hardware with the PS2. Still, for some reason, the DRE errors didn't smear Sony's reputation like the RROD did Microsoft.Shame-usBlackley

Was the outcry over that was loud as the Red Ring of Death's? I wasn't hanging around forums until the PS2 was at its end, so I never heard much complaints about it aside from the occasional "had to buy a new PS2 recently, since it finally stopped reading discs" mention. But by then, it was pretty much accepted to be an unfortunate part of the PS2. Maybe the console's price dropping into the one-hundreds by, what -- 2005, I think? -- helped mitigate the negativity?

Prior to writing them off, I was a huge supporter of theirs, and I would never have bought another system from them for at least a year after launch, and I know there are a lot of people who felt burned by the 360's reliability and also won't jump in right away. The bltch of that is: it adds a year to whatever year Microsoft launches in to get those people. So in other words -- a 2014 launch is now a 2015 launch, regardless of whether they launch the thing in tiny supplies that no one can get or not at all. A lot of people will still want to see whether it has issues or not, and that's something only time can remedy.Shame-usBlackley

True. Sure to hurt their first year or so. Question is whether people will feel the same about every other console going forward as well. Launch systems are usually the first to go, no? Wouldn't be surprised if everyone got a touch reluctant to jump on board on day one because of it.

I think what Sony needs to do is preach focus. They need to come out and say, "Folks, this is a fvcking game box. It's made to play games before anything else." They need to renew that compact with the hardcore crowd, because there are a lot of us who feel like Microsoft has gone soft upstairs by focusing on all the other groups besides us. And then they need to make it affordable. $299 would be ideal, but not a penny over $350. Release that a year (possibly two) before Microsoft, and screw trying to match Live. Live is a pay service and you can't match it pound for pound and still do it for free. What they need to do is figure out the most important facets of Live to emulate, and emulate those well. And do that for free. Then we're talking.Shame-usBlackley

They've basically been preaching that message for the last two E3s, I think. Though the PS3 is already well-established, so that's probably why (not much else they can do to expand its multi-media capabilities this late in the game). Certainly would help things along nicely if they focused on the game features at E3 and such and left the rest to CES and the like, though. Cater to the right audiences better and such.

Eh. Regardless, they need to improve their service. Aping Xbox Live just seems like the best way to go, given it's basically the gold-standard on console. I would hope they go a step further and try to surpass it, but that's expecting too much, probably. It's a good place to start, at any rate.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#23 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

This has been a terrible year, for multiple reasons the way I see it:

People are eager for new hardware

The industry's screw ups and people realizing that it is better to just wait for the eventual GOTY version since so many games have them now.

People getting tired of paying 60$ for games that you can finish in a day or even one long sitting.

E3 this year was bad overall: there were no surprises this year, and the devs continuing the horrible trend of releasing trailers that dont show sh** what a game actually is about. So all these trailers telling us nothing of a game, I find I ask what are they not wanting to show us.

Endless sequels, rehashes, ripoffs, and ports. Mountains of DLC that is mostly crap. Some series are ripping off each other so strongly you cant tell Dead Space from Lost Planet

Almost every damn game having some lame arse tacked on multiplayer.

Sony seems to have already given up on the VITA. High price, obscene memory card prices, and nearly all of its games are also available on PS3.

I think Ive bought three games this year, which is an all-time low. My average is one game a month.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#24 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69932 Posts

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

Shame-usBlackley

Word around the campfire is that Microsoft won't be able to make a '13 launch now if the rumors about component shortages are true, which means they are fvcked good and proper. Two more holiday seasons with ancient hardware and a market that has been pining to move on might be enough to screw them for an entire generation. Oh well, they've always got Kinect... that'll save them. I mean, just look at all those Kinect titles lighting up the charts.

I don't see how they are screwed? Nintendo's system is unpar with current gen so what would be the rush or loss to both Sony or MS? People keep stating that gamers want new hardware but I have yet to see a reliable source supporting this claim. Developers want new hardware because new hardawre facilitates the creation of half ass junk due to the shortage of games on a new system and new buyers would be desperate for games.

10finalfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 10finalfantasy
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Not surprised with low sales figures just before the holiday season kicks off.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

They've basically been preaching that message for the last two E3s, I think. Though the PS3 is already well-established, so that's probably why (not much else they can do to expand its multi-media capabilities this late in the game). Certainly would help things along nicely if they focused on the game features at E3 and such and left the rest to CES and the like, though. Cater to the right audiences better and such.

Eh. Regardless, they need to improve their service. Aping Xbox Live just seems like the best way to go, given it's basically the gold-standard on console. I would hope they go a step further and try to surpass it, but that's expecting too much, probably. It's a good place to start, at any rate.

c_rake

Has XBL improved since I got rid of my X360 (the $100 wireless modem had stopped working, which meant not only no internet play, but no patches in an industry which was rarely ships games finished) in 2008?

The only it had over PSN back then (still does) is cross game chat. Cross game chat is really cool (saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars when I was living abroad) but its not useful for games.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CarnageHeart

S0lidSnake

I confess I skipped Sleeping Dogs. I still enjoy open world games (super hero games, rpgs), but I think I may have fallen out of love with gangster type games (what we've seen of GTA has looked nice, but hasn't made me dizzy with delight). Its not that I morally object to them or anything, its just that none of them seem to be doing anything really radical.

I confess that all the retail games on my to buy list for the rest of the year are sequels and spinoffs (X-com Enemy Unknown, LBP Vita, AC3, Playstation Allstars, AC Liberation, the Persona 4 remake and LBP Karting) though if games like Tearaway, Watchdogs, Two Souls, Ni No Kuni, The Last of Us and Puppeteer were hitting this year...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CarnageHeart

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Sony and MS would sell a lot more hardware if they were more aggressive about lowering prices. Pricewise, the PS3 and X360 both started higher than any of the prior gen systems and prices haven't fallen as far (or as fast).

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

Pedro

I don't see how they are screwed? Nintendo's system is unpar with current gen so what would be the rush or loss to both Sony or MS? People keep stating that gamers want new hardware but I have yet to see a reliable source supporting this claim. Developers want new hardware because new hardawre facilitates the creation of half ass junk due to the shortage of games on a new system and new buyers would be desperate for games.

Because the market is dying out. Sales are going down, not up. Software sales are sliding, even on good games. The shiny is off the current generation of consoles, which are still priced way too high to lure in even the late adopters, cheapskates, and tire kickers. The people with the money and the interest in spending it are wanting the next big thing. The sales charts show you everything you need to know. I say they are screwed because they don't have a market willing to wait two years to move on. Remember also that the first to market begins the long process of getting developers acclimated to the hardware. It's entirely possible that a year's headstart on competing platforms could hurt them immensely if the developers are able to wring out power more capably from other platforms due to familiarity. Here's a question for you: why wouldn't they be screwed if it takes two holidays to get new hardware out?

And I don't really care why developers want new hardware if in doing so they bring about larger worlds, more vivid visuals, and more interesting concepts.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Has XBL improved since I got rid of my X360 (the $100 wireless modem had stopped working, which meant not only no internet play, but no patches in an industry which was rarely ships games finished) in 2008?

The only it had over PSN back then (still does) is cross game chat. Cross game chat is really cool (saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars when I was living abroad) but its not useful for games.

CarnageHeart

Haven't used it myself (I've yet to own an Xbox); I'm just going by hearsay. People still say it's better than PSN on the functionality side of things.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Shame-usBlackley

I my pick it up once the full version comes out. I've heard pretty good things about it.

I wouldn't let the impending DLC dissuade you from picking it up. What is offered in the vanilla retail is well worth the price of admission.

Also, FYI: Toys R Us is currently running a promotion that allows you to purchase both Darksiders II and Sleeping Dogs for 60.00 combined. (There are some other games available with this promotion as well)

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Grammaton-Cleric

I wouldn't let the impending DLC dissuade you from picking it up. What is offered in the vanilla retail is well worth the price of admission.

Also, FYI: Toys R Us is currently running a promotion that allows you to purchase both Darksiders II and Sleeping Dogs for 60.00 combined. (There are some other games available with this promotion as well)

Thanks, man. Half off is always good in my book.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

This gen is clearly on life support and Microsoft and Sony need to get their consoles out by the end of next year at the latest. Ideally they should have revealed them at this year's E3 but nope, instead we're stuck with incredibly outdated technology and sequels galore.

I'm really not sure where the market is headed at this point. Retail seems to be fading fast, but I'm not sure how much of that is actually due to declining interest in full $60 titles or the age of this generation. Mobile is obviously huge and will continue to be so, but where do most of the console-like games go from here? Transition to free-to-play? Try their luck on digital distribution platforms? There's just so much uncertainty right now.

My biggest concern about games right now is the business models. I have yet to play a good free-to-play title that felt like it met current AAA game standards, or didn't have ridiculously annoying microtransactions. On the other hand, I feel retail deserves a slap in the face for making $60 titles with excessive and overpriced DLC.

One last thing I noticed on another site today: the next Xbox is supposedly going to be delayed because of trouble manufacturing the chips needed for its production. If that's the case, Sony needs to beat Microsoft to the punch, as Shame-usBlackley said. Come out and stress the games, as I still believe that is why people buy consoles in the first place. Keep the online multiplayer free as well. If Microsoft unveils the next Xbox as a Kinect-focused, multimedia center that doesn't have the exclusives, Sony should be able to completely win over the hardcore crowd, aka the people who will buy the console on launch day. An early lead could give Sony some much needed financial success, seeing as how they are in such a dire situation right now.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Shame-usBlackley

This is the full version. They had no DLC planned before release which is why the first DLC for this game wont come out for a few months.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts
Disappoint to see the vita not selling well and time for Sony to drop the price of the vita and the games didn't well either what a shame cause darksiders 2 ,sleeping dog,the last story are good games that deserved higher numbers than we're seeing right now
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Was at Gamestop today and decided on the spur of the moment to pick up Sleeping Dogs. Felt guilty for not supporting it, so hopefully the game is good - from what I've heard from a friend it is, admittedly I really haven't looked into it much. One of my rare buy on instinct purchases.

Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ernesto_basic
Member since 2002 • 2123 Posts

As others have said, this generation needs to come to an end - and soon! The traditional gaming industry - whether pc or console - is being held back with current console hardware limitations. Not only have we reached a virtual ceiling in what these machines are capable of (the pc market is too, because it's beholden to the console limitations for the most part), but both hardware and software sales are waning as well.

Personally, I am more than ready for the next generation of hardware. Hell, I've held off on building a new gaming PC, because I know that even if my hardware is technically superior to the 360 or PS3, developers are only going to develop to the lowest common denominator.

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

Was at Gamestop today and decided on the spur of the moment to pick up Sleeping Dogs. Felt guilty for not supporting it, so hopefully the game is good - from what I've heard from a friend it is, admittedly I really haven't looked into it much. One of my rare buy on instinct purchases.

Vari3ty

It's a pretty cool game, just awfully short for an open world title.