Non-juvenile games where you get to be a monster, robot etc?

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

So, yeah. I've been yearning in recent years to play video games with non-human looking creature leads that aren't geared towards kids. I.e. not like Spyro or The Maw and countless others. I mean stuff where there's blood and action, and the player character looks like a COMPLETE FREAK. :)

Heck, I wouldn't mind a title where you get to eat pathetic humans and are a hero of sorts at the same time. The only example to date of what I'm talking about ( shockingly ) is Halo 2, because of The Arbiter. 343 needs to make a spin-off where you play as him the whole game pronto.

Can anyone think of any games past or present like this? Where there's a non-human monster / robot / alien / werewolf / anything as the lead role, and is still benevolent? :(

For the record, Evolve doesn't count. You play as monsters, but they aren't actual characters, just villain beasts who don't have personalities.

This is nuts. I don't know what kind of biased idiot made the status quo that monsters must always be mindless antagonists, but that's just not right. The industry is just gonna go on forever making the same shooters unless nothing is done.

Any thoughts? There's an EXCELLENT YouTube video that gives insight on playable non-human characters. It's from TheGamerTronShow, look it up.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58402 Posts

Alien vs Predator comes to mind. The best installment in the franchise is Alien vs Predator 2 but, sadly, it might be a bit dated for some. The more recent third game in the series, titled simply Alien vs. Predator, might be up your alley.

Not only can you play the cunning and creepily beautiful Alien, but you can play the lethal and cunning Predator as well. That's not one, but two monsters/aliens to play as!

If you're OK playing older games I recommend trying to get AvP 2, but the newer AvP is OK as well.

-------------

Styx is another game where you play as a "monster". Not really a monster, but a critter. A goblin, to be exact. Something disgusting, looked down upon by humanity and the other races. It's a damn fine stealth game in it's own right, and when you add in the story and plot and overall feeling of playing as this antihero, this loathsome creature, it's kind of nice because for once you feel entirely OK cutting all these throats. Usually in stealth games I feel kind of bad sapping or killing the security guards but this time it's like "Whatever, these humans hate me, **** 'em kill them all.".

---------------

The Darkness 2 has you playing a human (I know you said non-human, but bear with me...) scumbag named Jackie who is more or less the head of a crime family. Only, he is possessed by a dark power that comes out in the shadows. You spawn these tendrils that just do these awesome...bloody...disgusting things to people. Not just that, but you can summon minions to come help you and they're not only devious, but funny.

You rip heads from people, cut them into quarters, throw pipes at them to skewer them to walls, eat their hearts, use black magic...

It's not only a fun shooter, but it has a great McFarlane-esque vibe (think Spawn) to it.

----------------------

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7321 Posts

Do vampires count? In Soul Reaver, you play as a vampire that gets turned into some soul eating creature. Game's story is dark and incredibly well written.

Deadly Creatures on Wii has you play as a tarantula and scorpion. Sounds dumb, but is actually pretty good.

Metal Arms is kind of goofy, but you play a robot and it has solid shooting mechanics.

Slave Zero has you play as a giant robot. I think it may be piloted by humans, but you always play as the robot.

I haven't played them, but the War for/Fall of Cybertron games are supposed to be good.

Mortal74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mortal74
Member since 2017 • 52 Posts

What comes to mind is Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z on Xbox 360 and PS3. The game got bad reviews but I feel that happens to every game not titled Halo, Call of Duty, Uncharted, etc. The trick is to put it on easy difficulty and then it is actually about normal difficulty (otherwise the game is cheap and hard for no reason)

Yaiba is a cyborg ninja with a crass rude offensive attitude who was killed by series star Ryu Hayabusa and resurrected by Miss Monday with robotic parts to seek revenge on Ryu and fight through a zombie apocalypse in Russia... Yes this is a real game.

The game has striking cel shaded comic book style artwork and humor and it is VERY violent. Pretty simple hack n slash style gameplay but I like simple games like this. I recommend it (remember to play on easy mode though). I think it is very cheap to pick this game up, like $5 probably.

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

@mortal74: Thanks. :)

Sorry 'bout the other post btw. I put it up before I found out about your recommendation.