Nintendo Switch Gets Glowing Early Reviews

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

It appears that early reviews for the Nintendo Switch indicate that the company has finally hauled itself out of the mire and returned to form;

The Guardian - 'A fascinating and brave new console'

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/01/nintendo-switch-console-review

Kotaku - 'It accomplishes its central goal admirably'

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-the-kotaku-review-1792776350

The Verge - 'Pure potential, Nintendo's best hardware ever'

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14772530/nintendo-switch-review-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

Alphr - 'Nintendo is back with a joy filled bang'

http://www.alphr.com/nintendo-switch/1005479/nintendo-switch-review-nintendo-is-back-with-a-joy-filled-bang

Den of Geek - 'Nintendo's new system is off to a really strong start'

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/games/nintendo-switch/47599/nintendo-switch-review

Good job, Nintendo. Happy for ya!

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Well,the switch is coming from a poor place. The real question is if Nintendo can change their business model. One big game for the launch is not good and having only first party games being the selling point is following the same action of the WiiU.

Can Nintendo sell to me who is saving up to get a new computer to play new games and those that play on their phones?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

One big game might not necessarily be good but the best game created by said company? I'd say that is quite good.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

can't wait to pick one up! everything points to it being something special. going to wait for a few more games to land first though, i've got games coming out of my ears at the moment so i'm not in a mad rush. it's a good time to be a gamer!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Sounds great, same with the Zelda BotW. I won't be getting one right away but I'm really looking forward to it in the near future.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It got some mixed reactions too... and does have some documented issues (e.g., disconnecting joycons). I am excited to get one, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#7 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

@wiouds: The N64 lunched with only one game and it took a while before anything else was avalaible ... GameCube lunched with Luigi Mansion and a few 3rd party games ... Wii lunched with a zelda game and nothing else worth it, WiiU lunched with 3rd party and this one alsy have a Zelda game.

So what ?

PSOne lunched with scrap too, same thing with the PS2 and PS3 and we could say PS4 too.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

Nintendo is using their amiibo & a whole bunch of Switch accessories to fund their cause.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds

@Coco_pierrot said:

@wiouds: The N64 lunched with only one game and it took a while before anything else was avalaible ... GameCube lunched with Luigi Mansion and a few 3rd party games ... Wii lunched with a zelda game and nothing else worth it, WiiU lunched with 3rd party and this one alsy have a Zelda game.

So what ?

PSOne lunched with scrap too, same thing with the PS2 and PS3 and we could say PS4 too.

I see you only focus one point. My main point is that Nintendo needs to change up the business model. I was using the example how there only a few first parties games that are coming out like the WiiU. The new hardware is only going to go so far if they used the same business strategies that made the WiiU life be so short.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: Of course it is getting glowing reviews.

It´s Nintendo , so they can do no wrong even tho they failed miserably with the Wii U.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

The original Wii had glowing reviews from everyone too, and it was collecting dust within 3 months. Never again. Whole thing turned out to be a platform to sell cheap accessories. Switch seems to be going the same route.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#12 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

System still has a barely acceptable battery in portable mode, you can only get little over two hours on Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

As a console? Seems great, as a portable? It might be worth waiting for the next Switch model_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@wiouds: But it is the same for every other consol ! Nintendo is no different on that. the problem was having 3rd good games, not last gen games on it.

They obviously don't want to be like PC, Sony and Microsoft by making a very standart consol with standart controls. The rest of the univers want the same and they offert different so of course many won't buy it so 3rd parties don't make any effort. I think Nintendo never made a consol with the mindset of anyone but themselves developping for it.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wiouds

@Coco_pierrot said:

@wiouds: But it is the same for every other consol ! Nintendo is no different on that. the problem was having 3rd good games, not last gen games on it.

They obviously don't want to be like PC, Sony and Microsoft by making a very standart consol with standart controls. The rest of the univers want the same and they offert different so of course many won't buy it so 3rd parties don't make any effort. I think Nintendo never made a consol with the mindset of anyone but themselves developping for it.

No, I would say few consoles been in the same boat as the Switch is. The Xbox one and PS4 launch from good consoles and working business model. The Switch is coming off the WiiU an under-performing system. If they do not adjust their business model then it does not look good for the Switch and they seem to be repeating the same business plan as the one they used for the WiiU.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Trouble with Switch reviews is that most of the reviewers have soft spot for nintendo, and they want to help the underdog to succeed.

So, if you want to know what Switch is really like, you gotta read between the lines. Or wait coupla months till the honeymoon is over, and people start voicing their real opinions about the new console.

Ah yes, the honeymoon. All new consoles have it. For month or two, owners of the brand new machine are in love with it, and can see no fault with it. It's interesting type of blindness. But luckily it'll pass.

I give Switch half year. After that it's forgotten. It just dont have potential for greatness in a way Wii had. Just dont see kinda innovative stuff like Wii Fitness coming to Switch.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Macutchi

@henrythefifth said:

Trouble with Switch reviews is that most of the reviewers have soft spot for nintendo, and they want to help the underdog to succeed.

what are you basing that on?

@henrythefifth said:

It just dont have potential for greatness in a way Wii had.

how so?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jacanuk

@Macutchi said:
@henrythefifth said:

@henrythefifth said:

how so?

He is probably basing it on facts . Look back at nintendo reviews and even a console that failed miserably got glowing reviews.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Macutchi

@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:
@henrythefifth said:

@henrythefifth said:

how so?

He is probably basing it on facts . Look back at nintendo reviews and even a console that failed miserably got glowing reviews.

you're confusing facts with your opinion. when a console is reviewed upon launch, reviewers don't know at that point whether it will be a success or not

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@Macutchi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:
@henrythefifth said:

@henrythefifth said:

how so?

you're confusing facts with your opinion. when a console is reviewed upon launch, reviewers don't know at that point whether it will be a success or not

Not really.

Go back check up on Nintendo reviews and GOTY awards.

Critics have a clear weak spot for Nintendo and almost always go into the top end of the scale when they review them no matter that the game is poor.

Despite Nintendo not appealing to a broad audience or having the same kind of quality

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Macutchi

@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

Not really.

feel free to provide some links to demonstrate your point

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacanuk

@Macutchi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

Not really.

I just did,

But here you go http://www.gamespot.com/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds/

And just read up on the new Zelda.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Macutchi

@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

I just did,

But here you go http://www.gamespot.com/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds/

i don't understand how that proves your point. are you saying that score was unjustified? i'm not familiar with the game

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jacanuk

@Macutchi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

I just did,

i don't understand how that proves your point. are you saying that score was unjustified? i'm not familiar with the game

Im saying that critics particular gamespot has a sore spot for Nintendo and that link is only 1 game.

Not to mention that gamespot gave it GOTY the same year of The Last of Us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@Jacanuk: The Last Of Us wasn't that great compare to A link between world.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Macutchi

@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

Im saying that critics particular gamespot has a sore spot for Nintendo and that link is only 1 game.

going off the 91 metacritic score and the 88 / 100 user review score shown on that page, gamespot's review score sounds plausible. not exactly overwhelming evidence of bias. and certainly not proof of "facts"

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jacanuk

@Coco_pierrot said:

@Jacanuk: The Last Of Us wasn't that great compare to A link between world.

According to everyone else who gave it GOTY.

Yes The Last of Us was a good game.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk

@Macutchi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

going off the 91 metacritic score and the 88 / 100 user review score shown on that page, gamespot's review score sounds plausible. not exactly overwhelming evidence of bias. and certainly not proof of "facts"

Again you need to look at the context. And i know sales figures are subjective,

But out of 57.9mill sold 3DS alone in the us , only 2.9mill worldwide bought Zelda a link between two worlds. Nintendo games tend to no matter how bad they are to get a pass, where you would see reviewers hammer them, they almost call it the invention of the wheel again in a Nintendo game.

Look at the Zelda review , he goes ecstatic over the fact that when it rains it becomes harder to climb a hill or over simple exploration.

I know there is no concrete evidence since we cannot read minds, but i have no doubt of a clear nintendo bias.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Macutchi

@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

Again you need to look at the context. And i know sales figures are subjective,

But out of 57.9mill sold 3DS alone in the us , only 2.9mill worldwide bought Zelda a link between two worlds. Nintendo games tend to no matter how bad they are to get a pass, where you would see reviewers hammer them, they almost call it the invention of the wheel again in a Nintendo game.

Look at the Zelda review , he goes ecstatic over the fact that when it rains it becomes harder to climb a hill or over simple exploration.

I know there is no concrete evidence since we cannot read minds, but i have no doubt of a clear nintendo bias.

sales figures aren't subjective, reviews are. and using sales figures in relation to total market base to suggest a game has had a free pass when reviewed feels like a bit of a non-sequitur. i don't see how the two are related.

but let's just leave it here. it's your opinion that there's a bias towards nintendo which is fine but you've not given enough evidence to make me believe the same

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@Jacanuk: Because they prefer emotion and the chock value of The Last Of Us compare to Zelda that put their money in gameplay.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

Maybe people get excited over things you or others find mundane because it is an actual new and/or progression for Zelda?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I never saw a Nintendo bias myself. Pretty much all the reviews for Nintendo games typically mirror my own feelings of the games as well.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts

@Jacanuk: I've been playing Breath of the Wild a lot lately. It's definitely a masterpiece of gameplay design, full of countless little things that add to the experience (rain affecting your ability to climb is just the tip of the icerberg).

Nostalgia aside, it's an easy 10/10 that writes the new textbook on how to design open-world gameplay mechanics.

Back on topic, I'm loving the Switch. The handheld mode is great, the transition to the TV screen is great, the device feels extremely well made (unlike the cheap WiiU controller), the only service feels a lot faster than the Playstation store, the load times are minimal, and I love the variety of control schemes.

If this gets Nintendo support and indie support, I could see myself using this for a very long time. If it gets third party support, that'd be even better (but not required).

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

they are glowing reviews...for low expectations. Why did you not mention the iGN review which actually gave a score? Or what the content of almost all the reviews is:

Crap controllers

Syncing problems

Low end battery life

Console mode not as good as handheld mode

Weak hardware

All those points are mentioned in most of those reviews.