Nintendo 64 is overrated

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I think Nintendo 64 has reached god-status due to many college-dorm memories and nostalgia. But overall, it was a bad console, saved only by Rare and Miyamoto. N64 had probably 10 or so killer-apps it will be forever remembered by, but the rest of the library is weak. There is very little variety and diversity outside of that small number of games.

Nintendo's strict and dictatorial attitude made third-parties like Square Enix leave them. The intent was to prevent shovelware, but still 70%+ of it's library got mixed to negative reviews on Metacritic, making it proportionately no better than most consoles. PS1 totally crushed it 3 to 1 in sales. It's controller layout was so illogical too.

Sorry, but the Nintendo DS was just soo much better.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

N64 was a mediocre console with the most overrated game of all time, OOT.

The DS and PSX took a big dump on N64.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I didn't like Nintendo 64 at all. It had one of the worst controllers ever and I was never really was into Goldeneye.

I was too busy playing Playstation 1 to give a damn.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@drekula2 said:
Nintendo 64 is overrated
Loading Video...

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I don't remember the n64 being as popular as some people on gaming forums seem to act. Apart from Mario 64, starfox 64, OoT, goldeneye, perfect dark. It was mediocre, but that said those games were pretty awesome.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

N64 was a junk console that only had a few exceptional games.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Super Nintendo beat it. Gamecube beat it. Nintendo DS beat it. 3DS will probably beat it. Wii, I dunno. I hope Wii-U beats it.

Slannmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8  Edited By Slannmage
Member since 2005 • 6975 Posts

I have my N64 here...

- Ocarina of Time
- Mario Kart
- Mario 64
- Majoras Mask
- Banjo Kazooie
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Wave Race
- Rogue Squadron
- Turok
- Perfect Dark
- Goldeneye 64
- WWF No Mercy
- Star Fox
- Donkey Kong 64
- conkers Bad fur day

These are just the games I own, there are probably many other great N64 games.

So please get your facts right, it was an amazing console that offer a split screen multiplayer experience like no other console. I loved my Playstation, but it couldn't compete with Goldeneye, that game defined my child, even if the N64 had nothing else, playing 4 player split screen multiplayer was amazing, addicting for years, nothing came close unless you had a PC. Still with the Playstation2 and Xbox you only had 2 players unless you linked consoles up and no one did that....

Really in my eyes not until Socom on the PS2 was the multiplayer shooter crown handed over with the next console leap of online. I know the Dramcast had Quake 3 but really that was a poor PC port...

It then took until 2004 for Halo 2 to take it all to the next level for consoles.

Meanwhile though the PC was so far ahead lol.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@Slannmage said:

I have my N64 here...

- Ocarina of Time

- Mario Kart

- Mario 64

- Majoras Mask

- Banjo Kazooie

- Diddy Kong Racing

- Wave Race

- Rogue Squadron

- Turok

- Perfect Dark

- Goldeneye 64

- WWF No Mercy

- Star Fox

- Donkey Kong 64

- conkers Bad fur day

These are just the games I own, there are probably many other great N64 games.

So please get your facts right, it was an amazing console that offer a split screen multiplayer experience like no other console. I loved my Playstation, but it couldn't compete with Goldeneye, that game defined my child, even if the N64 had nothing else, playing 4 player split screen multiplayer was amazing, addicting for years, nothing came close unless you had a PC. Still with the Playstation2 and Xbox you only had 2 players unless you linked consoles up and no one did that....

Really in my eyes not until Socom on the PS2 was the multiplayer shooter crown handed over with the next console leap of online. I know the Dramcast had Quake 3 but really that was a poor PC port...

It then took until 2004 for Halo 2 to take it all to the next level for consoles.

Meanwhile though the PC was so far ahead lol.

In other words, your opinion is based on pure nostalgia.

If you look at the facts, PSX took a huge dump on the game library of N64.

N64 was a mediocre console and sales of the console were poor. It's considered to be one of the failures of Nintendo.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I can't say I played a whole lot of games on the N64 aside from Mario Kart, Mario Party, and a few others. But the controller was always extremely awkward, definitely more so when re-visiting the system years later. I have some good memories with it, but I don't get that "OMG this is the best console ever!" nostalgic feel towards it.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@Slannmage said:

Still with the Playstation2 and Xbox you only had 2 players unless you linked consoles up and no one did that....

Halo begs to differ.

Slannmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Slannmage

Halo was just more of the same though, I'm talking about big leaps and the next big leap for consoles was online and that was with Socom.

Slannmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Slannmage

What I find crazy about N64 games though is they still hold up, I can go play all of them today and have a great time. I mean I cannot even play stuff on the PS2 any more, they feel super dated, yet with the N64, gameplay came first with Nintendo, even their Gamecube didn't really do that. I own all consoles, however there is just something about those games that still play so well, especially Zelda.

I play Goldeneye Source a lot with friends on PC and I know it isn't exactly a direct port, however the core game design and maps are carried over and it is still so fun.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@Slannmage said:

Halo was just more of the same though, I'm talking about big leaps and the next big leap for consoles was online and that was with Socom.

No, you said "You could only play 2 player and no one did that". That is false.

Halo was the big shooter of it's time largely because of the 4 player split screen. And to assume nobody hooked up the consoles, well that is untrue as well. That's why it was the biggest Xbox game up until it's sequel came out. Halo LAN parties happened often, and you could even get one going over GameSpy.

If you prefer SOCOM that's your perogative. I could care less. What I was pointing out was the inaccuracies in your assumption that no one did Halo LANs or played the 4-Player splitscreen multiplayer. Also SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs came out several months after the first Halo.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

This trick is way past old... and in this case, I don't think "overrated" means what you're trying to make it mean, here. It implies something that isn't true.

In other words

ENOUGH!