Nintendo 64, best Nintendo console?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AquaD4060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 AquaD4060
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

The Nintendo 64 had some of the best graphics, best 3-D, and best game play that I played out of every Nintendo console I've had. It was also very, very durable, made like the XBOX, with a had outer shell. The games, as I said were significant. With titles like Zelda: Ocarina of Time that pushed you to a time zone. Games like Super Mario 64, that had a HUGE impact on the 3D gaming we know today. Games like Super Smash Brothers, that brought together Nintendo characters, and made them brawl!

P.S. If you think there was a better Nintendo console other than the Wii, post it! 

Please don't tell me you think that the Playstation brand was better. Or Sega, or Atari, or even the XBOX brand, because this is about the Nintendo consoles (other than the Wii).

Thank you, enjoy!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae44259036e8
deactivated-5ae44259036e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 deactivated-5ae44259036e8
Member since 2003 • 106 Posts
Its hard to say, because Super Nintendo was also great, and many elements of its games have lasted since. But you're right, Mario 64 and Zelda have a lasting legacy we can even see today. I'd tepidly say N64 is the best Nintendo, followed by SNES very closely. If N64 is a 10, then SNES is a 9.9
Avatar image for deactivated-5ae44259036e8
deactivated-5ae44259036e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5ae44259036e8
Member since 2003 • 106 Posts
Its hard to say, because Super Nintendo was also great, and many elements of its games have lasted since. But you're right, Mario 64 and Zelda have a lasting legacy we can even see today. I'd tepidly say N64 is the best Nintendo, followed by SNES very closely. If N64 is a 10, then SNES is a 9.9tallicfan20
not to mention the analog stick, which every system now has, that N64 popularized. PSX didn't even add one until 1999.
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
I think all Nintendo consoles are better than the N64, unless you count the virtual boy. Don't get me wrong though, I really did enjoy and still do from time to time the N64. I just find other Nintendo consoles better.
AquaD4060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AquaD4060
[QUOTE="tallicfan20"]Its hard to say, because Super Nintendo was also great, and many elements of its games have lasted since. But you're right, Mario 64 and Zelda have a lasting legacy we can even see today. I'd tepidly say N64 is the best Nintendo, followed by SNES very closely. If N64 is a 10, then SNES is a 9.9tallicfan20
not to mention the analog stick, which every system now has, that N64 popularized. PSX didn't even add one until 1999.

Yeah. Without it, the XBOX, and Playstation would be full D-Pad. Nice point.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
I think both the NES and SNES were better. They had more games that I enjoyed and still play today.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
The SNES definitely, especially for RPG Japanophiles like myself :P.
R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R0cky_Racc00n
Member since 2006 • 5088 Posts
After thinking about it for a while, I think i enjoy the N64 better than the SNES. The SNES had better RPGs, but I prefer every other genre on the N64, especially their legacy of platformers and adventure games. Zelda, Mario 64, Rayman 2, and Banjo and Kazooie, doesn't get better than that.
MecaShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 MecaShadow
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts

[QUOTE="tallicfan20"]Its hard to say, because Super Nintendo was also great, and many elements of its games have lasted since. But you're right, Mario 64 and Zelda have a lasting legacy we can even see today. I'd tepidly say N64 is the best Nintendo, followed by SNES very closely. If N64 is a 10, then SNES is a 9.9tallicfan20

Incorrect. The PSX Dual Analog controller was released in 1997. The Dual Shock was released in 1999.

And the SNES was the best Nintendo console ever made hands down. The N64 doesn't even come close.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#10 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
The N64 was deffinately a great console, but the super nintendo still beats it. Still the best console ever made
AquaD4060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AquaD4060
I bet the Super Nintendo was better, it brought gaming to a rise, but, I haven't played one in a while. I just always remember my Nintendo 64 from when I was young, and it really is awesome compared to the Wii, and better than the Cube.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
No, I really enjoyed my NES, SNES, and Gamecube than my N64. I will get Wii after I will get a job.
_IronManDude_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 _IronManDude_
Member since 2008 • 1595 Posts
The Nintendo 64 is, IMO the best system ever. I never had as much fun with a game as I did with Banjo Kazooie, except maybe with Rayman 2. Nintendo 64 had some of the greatest games of all time. Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Rayman 2, Majora's Mask, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, the list goes on and on to games that aren't even praised at all, like Jet Force Gemini, and Spiderman. I played the Gamecube, GBA, NES, SNES, PC, PSX, DC, etc., and nothing was as great as the N64.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

The 64 had a lot of problems where the game you just rented may or may not work with your N64.  Since I had a launch system, some of those games were the middle-of-the-lifecycle titles like Hybrid Heaven and Alydn Chronicles.  When you got into the starting cutscene, my system would drag, literally giving me a N64 polygon-based slideshow that nearly had me retching.

Also, Earthworm Jim 64, the only game to ever give me motion sickness, thereby instantly giving the Gamecube my title of best Nintendo system.

nowayguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nowayguy
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts
NES and SNES are definitely better overall systems and I think you can make a strong argument for the Gamecube being better too. As for the wii, only time will tell but I think the 64 is one Nintendo's weakest systems whether it be a home console or handheld.
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#16 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
No. There are a few reasons behind it, had a wonderful and quite amazing line of games and such, however financially, the older consoles sold more and held out longer.
SHERBO64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SHERBO64
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
i'd say best in terms of games and so on was snes, because it dominated the market for a time. the n64 lost nearly all god 3rd party games like ff, which is what held it back. the controller, while arguably revolutionary, was not that durable.
coconutkokal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 coconutkokal
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts
yeah!!!!
SHEATHED_BLADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SHEATHED_BLADE
Member since 2008 • 108 Posts
when i think revoloutionary consoles, i think nintendo 64, was an amazing console from the golden age of gaming, never again will games such as goldeneye, perfect dark and zelda: ocarina of time be made, if you havent played those few for at least 5 hours you owe yourself at least 5 more
JackEpstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JackEpstein
My first console was a Nintendo 64 and when I first got it, I was playing it non-stop. The N64 has so many great games it's hard not to agree with you. I still play Ocarina of Time from time to time just because it's so great. The N64 is no doubt Nintendos most revolutionary console.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#21 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I don't know...it's pretty hard to top the SNES when every developer under the sun was making games for it. The N64 was lacking in some key genres.
Witch24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Witch24
Member since 2008 • 329 Posts
Wii is my fav, and then SNES...
Clampdown79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Clampdown79
Member since 2008 • 943 Posts
I like the N64, but I enjoyed the gamcube and the SNES much more.
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts
Hell no. It was a solid console, and housed some of the best games ever made, but absolutely not a contender for that title. I'd give the nod to either the NES or Super NES. Now there's a tough call.
AquaD4060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AquaD4060

[QUOTE="AquaD4060"][QUOTE="tallicfan20"] not to mention the analog stick, which every system now has, that N64 popularized. PSX didn't even add one until 1999.KlownMaster
Yeah. Without it, the XBOX, and Playstation would be full D-Pad. Nice point.

No they wouldn't have it would have been added eventually, the Saturn even had an analog stick on some controllers, it just took until 3D graphics became standard that Sony added analog sticks.

Yeah, probably, but people were pissed at Sega already. Lol. Yeah, I bet the SNES is better, may buy one on eBay just to play games like Super Mario and Duck Hunt or something.

cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
No, I think that almost every other Nintendo system was better than the N64 (except maybe the Virtual Boy). I still love to play on my NES, SNES and GC, but I don't have that many motivations to come back to the N64. It had all the Nintendo exclusives, but it still lacked games. ~ de arimasu
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
If you're only looking at first-party titles, then the n64 was great. However, all the third parties had jumped ship and consequently the big titles on the n64 were few and far between. The snes is by far the best console because it had both nintendo's first-party games and all the major 3rd party publishers on board as well.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
While I think the N64 was a great console, it wasn't the best Nintendo made. While other consoles, like the Playstation and Saturn (although that's a different story in itself) went to the much easier to make CDs, Nintendo stayed with the cartridge, which pushed a lot of 3rd party games, part of the reason why the SNES and their handhelds did so well, away. There were a slew of good games for the N64, but their lack of 3rd party support hurts them in my eyes.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I think, in context, it was better than the GameCube and the Wii. I don't know about earlier consoles, because I've never played them.
SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts
The N64 was a great system and there's no question about that. However the SNES was the best out of nintendo systems so far and will probably go down as the best of it's time.
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

well you cant leave out the wii in a poll about best nintendo console if someone thinks its the best. my order would go snes, nes, wii, gamecube, n64

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

What complete rubbish. The N64 was a disaster. It isn't necessary to bring up the PlayStation or whatever; just compare the innovation and sheer amount of GREAT games of Nintendo's earlier systems with that of the N64. It doesn't hold up at all.

You must be comparing to some of the worst systems ever released, definately not the NES or the SNES.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 doubutsuteki

[QUOTE="KlownMaster"][QUOTE="AquaD4060"] Yeah. Without it, the XBOX, and Playstation would be full D-Pad. Nice point.AquaD4060

No they wouldn't have it would have been added eventually, the Saturn even had an analog stick on some controllers, it just took until 3D graphics became standard that Sony added analog sticks.

Yeah, probably, but people were pissed at Sega already. Lol. Yeah, I bet the SNES is better, may buy one on eBay just to play games like Super Mario and Duck Hunt or something.

Oh, yeah? It seems you know your stuff.

LOL.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#36 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

besides nes snes wii and handheld line up, yes n64 is the best, one of the best, the only console which was not as good is the gc,

but even that had some good titles for me the 2600 is the worst i own , sure ack then it was fun but nope pac man got old real quick especailly when its on every platform known to man lol  

ps sega and xox are great to up il ps3 at least

Painmaster212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Painmaster212
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts
Hmm i have to say the snes is better then the n64 it had every type of game you would want while the n64 lack on some like rpgs but the n64 still was pretty good 1st: Snes 2nd: Gameboy (series) 3rd: N64 Thats how it goes for me anyways xD
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts

What complete rubbish. The N64 was a disaster. It isn't necessary to bring up the PlayStation or whatever; just compare the innovation and sheer amount of GREAT games of Nintendo's earlier systems with that of the N64. It doesn't hold up at all.

You must be comparing to some of the worst systems ever released, definately not the NES or the SNES.

doubutsuteki
Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, Super Smash Bros, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Paper Mario and some other games disagree with you. I think that if anything, Nintendo made their best games in this period of time. ~ de arimasu
tm0054

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tm0054
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts
IMO in this order ... SNES NES N64 Gamecube Wii (I know it plays all Gamecube games but I am judging only in Wii games) I had the most fun with the SNES by a huge margin of all Nintendo consoles.
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 doubutsuteki
[QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

cfamgcn

Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, Super Smash Bros, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Paper Mario and some other games disagree with you. I think that if anything, Nintendo made their best games in this period of time. ~ de arimasu

Unlike you, I don't consider all of those games to be masterpieces. And even though they are among the best for the system, they're two handfuls of games, while there almost 2000 games for the SNES, many of which are great. You are comparing a console with 300-400 games at most - many of which are total crap, except for a tiny portion that you posted right now - with a console that has hundreds of great games. Games that LOOK good too (which can't be said about any of the games for the N64).

You post 10 games and expect me to be impressed? Yeah, so besides those, what games are there for the N64? With the exception of perhaps one more handful of games, complete rubbish! This is silly.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Video_Game_King
[QUOTE="cfamgcn"][QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

doubutsuteki

Unlike you, I don't consider all of those games to be masterpieces. And even though they are among the best for the system, they're two handfuls of games, while there almost 2000 games for the SNES, many of which are great. You are comparing a console with 300-400 games at most - many of which are total crap, except for a tiny portion that you posted right now - with a console that has hundreds of great games. Games that LOOK good too (which can't be said about any of the games for the N64).

You post 10 games and expect me to be impressed? Yeah, so besides those, what games are there for the N64? With the exception of perhaps one more handful of games, complete rubbish! This is silly.

Wait...WHAT!? You ever play Conker's Bad Fur Day? Either of you?

eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 eastcoasteric
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts
PSX for life. but I never really ever got into PS2 or PS3, PSX holds the best memorys of my teen years
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Super Nintendo is better in my opinion.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#44 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I'd go with the GBA. But often times I hear that the SNES is the best. That was the only Nintendo platform I never had though, so I wouldnt know, although I've played a few of it's games and they are awsome.
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 doubutsuteki

Video_Game_King

No, I haven't played it, just tested it out for 30 mins. But it looks like ... poo.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
nes or snes is the best
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Video_Game_King
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

doubutsuteki

No, I haven't played it, just tested it out for 30 mins. But it looks like ... poo.

Mmmhmmm....tell me, when did you start gaming?

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
It was a horrible piece of hardware that despite that had great games on it. I owned one and played a lot of the original Mario and nearly every game Rare did for it, but other than that it was not a third party rich console. The Graphics looked as if vaseline had been smothered on every surface and the music was just passable since the damn thing didn't have a dedicated sound chip There were no good fighting games for it or RPGs to speak of, it really did not have the variety that other Nintendo consoles had in the past. My favourite Nintendo console is the SNES by far, great colorful graphics, great sound and unrivaled selection of games.
tm0054

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tm0054
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts
I somewhat have to agree with this statement - to me the N64 was the beginning of the end for Nintendo. The NES and SNES were easily the best systems for their generations. The N64 was ill designed for its gen. I won't even go into how they lost Squaresoft and Final Fantasy because of their reluctance to get away from the cartridge format. I personally thought the PSX was the better system that gen in terms of the shear quantity of great games. From the N64 on I think only hardcore Nintendo fans could think that a Nintendo console has been the best of its gen. Nintendo has been releasing the lionshare of good Nintendo games since the N64. Third party support for Nintendo has been spotty at best. The N64 still turned out to be a great system when all was said and done - just far from being the best system of all time. I don't think it is even in my top 5.

doubutsuteki
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

Super Nintendo still rules. The Wii is on its way to greatness, but hasn't reached legendary status yet.

1. SNES
  2. Wii
  3. GC
  4. N64

I'm not going to include the original NES on the list because it's in a class all by itself.