This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Richard_Praxton
Richard_Praxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Richard_Praxton
Member since 2005 • 341 Posts

I just read an article on the New York Times website (www.nytimes.com) which revealed Niko Bellic's salary. Well, not really Niko, but the actor who portrayed him, Michael Hollick. Apparently, Hollick was payed around $100,000 over a period of fifteen months for his voice-acting work in Grand Theft Auto IV, with no royalties. Keep in mind the game grossed over $600 million. The reason for this "meager" pay is due to the lack of provisons concerning electronic media between the actors' union and the entertainment industry.

Now, critical thinking...

Do you think Hollick deserved at least a seven-figure paycheck for his work? Do you think it's unfair that actors in movies are guaranteed millions while actors in video games are left out in the rain?

Here's my take:

A seven-figure paycheck for anything save curing cancer or ending world hunger is undeserved. Period. If someone offered me $100,000 to talk into a microphone, I'd consider myself blessed, considering it took me months to save up for a $400 PS3 off of my meager $7.50/hour salary at Domino's.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
the reason there is so much money is because it's entertainment. People would go nuts if they were deprived of that. the difference is that unlike us he is a pro at his job and we wouldn't be anywhere near him in quality because we have most likely 1% experience. At the end of the day he signed the contract so that's all there is to it.
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts

Voice acting has little to nothing to do with why people buy videogames. Theres MAYBE 3 or 4 people (his family) out there that bought this game because of Michael Hollick. The people who deserve those 7 figure salaries and fat residual checks are the actual developers. They are the ones putting in 80hr work weeks and pouring every last creative juice they have into these things.

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
While actors bring movies to life, more than anything else, in games it's the developers that do all the important stuff. Niko isn't just the voice actor. It's also the computer model and the animations. I think the voice actor should have had some royalties, but the developers are the most important factor in games, not voice actors. That's one difference with the movie industry.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
While actors bring movies to life, more than anything else, in games it's the developers that do all the important stuff. Niko isn't just the voice actor. It's also the computer model and the animations. I think the voice actor should have had some royalties, but the developers are the most important factor in games, not voice actors. That's one difference with the movie industry.11Marcel
I'm pretty sure voice actors in big movies or cartoons don't get royalties.