Next Xbox and PlayStation: What do you expect that they haven't told us yet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

Besides better graphics and bigger and better worlds, what do you think will happen this next gen for the Xbox and PlayStation brands?

Personally, I expect them to be completely compatible with last generation. All your games will carry over, even digital ones. Developers can still make a 360 or PS3 game and still be safe knowing people can play it both on current and next gen systems.

I also want, if half-expect, the ability to record game footage and be able to upload it to YouTube. Some games should also be upgradable, like Minecraft on 360 having an optional 720 update to allow it for a full Minecraft experience.

Discuss.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
I fear negative things like second hand game protection and (imo negative) more facebook and twitter integration.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
more ways to take our money :(
Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3106 Posts

-$75 for the "base" game; $10-$20 each for sidequests, new rosters, new maps, new characters, outfits, true "canon" endings

-popular online games such as Call of Duty, Halo, Madden, FIFA, et. al., will start charging a monthly subscription fee around $10-$20/month separate from the XBL Gold and PSN annual fees (Sony will DEFINITELY start charging for multiplayer with the PS4)

-used game restrictions will not be hardware based; they will be software based using tricks such as single player games only being playable for 10 minutes unless an extra fee is paid to unlock the rest of the game, no online multiplayer for used game consumers, all games must be registered and have an online connection to work (regardless of whether it's a single player or multiplayer game)

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Nice to see the optimism flowing in this thread.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#6 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I gotta say, i too fear just how far the monetization is going to get in the next gen machines.

I mean while i don't play on my Xbox 360 a lot, i still nontheless keep track on my facebook of all the game systems. can't tell you how many times it's always something non-game related. Like they're banking on you spending 60 bucks on the 360 - with ads - to pay another subscription to watch Netflix, or NHL or whatever it is. That's pretty absurd to be honest.

so i do fear just how much monetizing is going to happen with games in next gen.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
I worry that they'll be more focused on being `entertainment ` devices and not gaming machines. Probably why PC is my number 1 platform going forward.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

Teleportation.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

You'll need online connection to activate all games brought on disc so they can tie it to your account and console id. I think a big focus of next gen consoles will be to push more digital deliveries and cut down on used games.HD collections and digital re-releases of classics will make backwards compatibility a thing of the past.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
Nice to see the optimism flowing in this thread.CRS98
Yeah I know, but being realistic the first things I can think of are negative with all the DRM / DLC / moremoneyfromthecustomer -news lately. There is more speculation on the negative things next gen will bring than the positive things. But that'll probably change when more details are released. (/optimism)
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts
I expect game and dlc prices to remain the same. While I would like to see backwards compatibility it's not something I "expect" but it certainly be a nice bonus. I love how consoles have grown to be more of an entertainment center with various apps and want-not so I expect to see this continue into next gen and I welcome it.
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

If either of them end up blocking used games/putting restrictions on them in anyway I will never ever purchase either console EVER!

ogkmma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ogkmma
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
After playing Super Mario Bros. U on the Nintendo game pad, there is no question in my mind that the next generation of consoles must be portable (even though the Wii U is not portable). The technology for effective graphics and functionality can be replicated on the small screen, optimally like an IPad with joysticks, triggers, and buttons. Games can be played on this portable game pad anywhere. With wi-fi connectivity and a smart TV or cable connections, games can also be played on the bigger screen television for local multiplayer, or if the consumer wants video game play bigger, louder, and/or with motion detection. Owning an Xbox and a PS 3, I defer to play lower quality games on my IPad rather than a good game on a console system, simply because of ease of accessibility. I would rather turn on my IPad and play a silly game app, than turning on the TV, turning on the console, inserting a game disc, picking up a joystick, then finally playing a game. Adult players who work and have a family have no time to sit in front of a TV to play a video game, but with a tablet-style game pad, the consumer can play anywhere. He can play while waiting in a doctor's lobby, or while watching Johnny's T-ball game, or while sitting on a toilet bowl, allowing greater opportunity to finish a twenty-plus hour game. The consumer can even play while watching TV. Sony and Microsoft, (and possibly Apple), should consider making the next generation systems portable, as this feature would separate it from the current generation systems. If it had the functionality of a tablet, like the iPad, these companies can sell it for an asking price over eight hundred dollars and compete with the tablet products that are currently available. The only limiting factor would be the memory capacity of the device, but if it could hold one or two full-length video games, or if the games could be played in segments, it would be sufficient for a consumer like me. Looking forward to the future, Rob Alvir
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

The ability to make coffee and make my bed:P

Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Oozyrat
Member since 2008 • 926 Posts

Good things: Impressive engines/graphics, sequels, new IP's, much needed reboots of failing classic games, more indie games, meaningful choices to players, more female lead characters, and more female gamers (let's put an end to the sexism in gaming).

Neutral things: More mobile gaming and a very long generation.

Bad things: DLC crap, more money for games, and worst of all - more gimmicks, 10 more CoD games, and young childeren playing mature games.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I expect a lot more Kinect trash, which means I won't touch the next Xbox with a 52,734 foot pole.

Sony is going to be the last hope for traditional gaming. I'm throwing all my chips behind them.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

I expect a lot more Kinect trash, which means I won't touch the next Xbox with a 52,734 foot pole.

Sony is going to be the last hope for traditional gaming. I'm throwing all my chips behind them.

Shame-usBlackley

I worry about their eventual control method. They probably feel like they are under pressure to bring something besides a typical controller to the table with the inevitable kinect 2 and Wii U pad competing for consumers attention. Anything other than a Dualshock 4 is going to take a serious chunk out of the actual hardware budget and cap the potential of the system. Lets hope they have the balls to not go that route.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

F1Lengend

I worry about their eventual control method. They probably feel like they are under pressure to bring something besides a typical controller to the table with the inevitable kinect 2 and Wii U pad competing for consumers attention. Anything other than a Dualshock 4 is going to take a serious chunk out of the actual hardware budget and cap the potential of the system. Lets hope they have the balls to not go that route.

Yeah, me too.

There may be some pressure, but hopefully Sony looks at exactly what Nintendo and Microsoft gained from ALL that money and time spent and realizes it's not worth the time. Nintendo, is running away from the dead craze they helped create, and further, it's not gained them any mindshare -- the Wii phenomenon faded because it never realized what it promised to do. And it didn't help them -- all those tens of millions of non-gamers out there could not give a shlt that the Wii U is out, because, as I always predicted they never wanted anything more than a Wii with Wii Sports. They were never going to be recurring buyers. They bought a Wii Sports machine -- that was it.

You can see the same effect happening with Microsoft. They spent all this money and time marketing a device that doesn't work well, and while there was a buzz about it at first, there is none now. None of the games ever chart outside of dancing titles, just like the Wii. There are no hardcore playing Kinect games in appreciable numbers. And conversely, there has been no bleedover -- no grannies playing Halo. So they realeased this piece of trash with pretty awful games that don't sell well enough to justify their existence, yet they are still going to shlt up their next console by forcing it on people.

Nintendo is running away from motion controls and into tablets, and Microsoft has clearly lost their marbles. If Sony follows either of them they deserve what they get. I'm still throwing my money behind them regardless because it's important to me that I defend the traditional side of the hobby that has worked for three decades and doesn't need all the snake oil to thrive. That market still exists and no one knows that better than Sony, because they lived it most recently.