News: Nexus 2 to Hit Kickstarter in a Few Weeks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bignick217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 bignick217
Member since 2005 • 413 Posts

Last year Most Wanted Entertainment put up Nexus 2 up for crowd sourcing to fund the sequel to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident on Games Plant. The problem was I never heard about it, because nobody covered the story. As a result of myself and many others not hearing about it (As it was not covered by any of the major game news sites... Including Gamespot), myself and many others never got the opportunity to contribute and the game didn't get the funding it needed to get off the floor. When I was trying to get information of whether or not it reached it's goal, I contacted Most Wanted Entertainment to get information of whether it was in development, if I could contribute and if they ever planned to go onto kickstarter. Here's the email response I received from Most Wanted Entertainment today.

Hi Nick,

Apologies for my late reply and thanks a lot for your support of Nexus 2.

Yes, unfortunately Games Plant was a failure and it buried Nexus 2 as well.

BUT...:), we are currently preparing a new campaign on Kickstarter, which should start in a few weeks' time.

We all hope we can bring our favorite game back to life with the help of the fans like you this time.

Best,

Zsolt

Zsolt Tatrai
Studio Director
Most Wanted Entertainment
www.mwent.hu
Address: 110 Váci út
1133 Budapest, Hungary
Tel/Fax: +36 1 783 7125

As you can tell, I am stoked about this. But I don't want what happened last time to happen again. I don't want this game to fail because it wasn't covered by any game news sites and people not finding out as a result. I really want to see this sequel get made. That's why I'm posting this here. I don't know how many of you played the original, but if you did, and loved it as much as I did, please help spread the word and contribute if you want to see this game get made. GAMESPOT, if you're reading this, please spread the word. You didn't report about this at all last time this game went up for crowd sourcing and myself and others missed the opportunity as a result. Probably because you were too busy reporting on yet another Call of Duty game. Please don't fail us gamers again. I would have reported this directly to Gamespot, but ironically, I can't find any way of reporting news "to" gamespot. Here's also a link to the tech demo from I believe 2004/05 showing what the game was supposed to be like when it was originally in development back then. Based on what I've read, they won't be using that engine (Black Sun 2) anymore as it's out of date by today's standards, but it does give a good representation of what we could expect from the sequel. According sources I've found, they will instead be using the Havoc Engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmpkJNi0uwM

Nexus was and still is a very unique, excellent and fun strategy game. Gamespot gave the original an 8.3 . It's more of a real time tactical game than a real time strategy game. But it is still easily one of my favorite games. Spread the word guys and keep an eye out for when it hit's Kickstarter in a few weeks.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#2 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

You might want to tell Dracula68 to set up a game page for Nexus 2. Do post your request in this board. Starting a game page helps fans of the first game to "follow" the sequel, which then show up as a notification to anyone who is "following" these persons.

Also, send a direct PM to Mark Walton, who seems to be the one interested in Kickstarter projects, or better yet, Kevin vanOrd - he's one to like space strategy games that have full six-axes movement. That will help highlight this upcoming game better than posting some thread.

That said, you might want to drop that bit about Call of Duty being typically highlighted; that's just embellishment on your part. It isn't going to help your case, if you are thinking that it could amount to some guilt trip.

ThiefX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ThiefX
Member since 2004 • 54 Posts
Found this thread by mistake. 1. I'm surprised just 1 person replied and nobody else shared their opinion. 2. I had no idea Nexus 2 was planned, a shame it couldn't be deemed "worthy" enough to be covered. As an astronomy passionate, I loved the first Nexus game. A second Nexus would be really great. I never found another game that could match this one.
opiol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 opiol
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

It's already past 1 month and still no kickstarter campaign, does anybody knows anything about the project? Thx.

fang_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fang_man
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Nexus 2 is something I would put money towards. Let us know ASAP when the kickstarter is available!

Sevrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sevrun
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
It could be that it's simply taking a while to get everything set up. Kickstarter can be used to draw a lot of money from a lot of different directions, takes a bit of work setting up all the legal mumbo jumbo and bank routing.
bignick217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bignick217

K guys, I emailed Most Wanted Games yesterday for an update and here's the response I got back today:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately, setting up a US company takes more time than we thought, which is why the campaign is getting delayed.

I hope we can sort out everything and launch the campaign by the end of next week though.

Best,

Zsolt

Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:57 PM
To: Zsolt Tatrai
Subject: Re: Nexus the Jupiter Incident 2

Hi Zsolt,

Myself and others have been spreading the word and keeping an eye out for Nexus 2 to hit kickstarter, but haven't seen anything. Your original email indicated it would be up a few weeks from the time I received the email, but it's been over 2 months now and haven't seen anything for nexus 2 yet. I'm getting questions from people now asking for an update as to when it's going to hit kickstarter and don't know what to tell them. Could you provide any further info as to the progress of Nexus 2 hitting kickstarter so I can update the people wanting to contribute to the game's development. Is it still coming to kickstarter and an estimated timescale? Or has the game the game been put on the back burner again? Myself and others are really hoping to see this game come to kickstarter and are eager to contribute. Any information you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Nick

opiol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 opiol
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Any news? I'm starting to think that Nexus 2 kickstarter campaign won't happen. I would really love a new game like Homeworld or Nexus (still playing), but it seams that this kind of games are starting to fade :I.
Sargoth85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sargoth85
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Should hit soon. Cross your fingers

Sargoth85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sargoth85

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mostwanted/nexus-2-the-gods-awaken

GOGOGOGOGOGO

Neo-ST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Neo-ST
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
29 days left guys... I've put my money :)
Onden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Onden
Member since 2005 • 30 Posts

Not to be a jerk, but I wouldn't contribute on principle due to Nexus 1 never being fixed. I realize the publisher probably didn't fund support, but there's nothing that stopped the developer from putting out unofficial patches if they really cared about the IP or their reptuation.

Nexus 1 left me angrier than pretty much any game I've played due to a number of crashes that occur if don't perform mission actions in exactly the intended order. It's not even obscure or hard to duplicate stuff; in one instance it's as simple as destroying ship A before ship B.

I enjoyed what I played of Nexus before running into game breaking bugs, but quite simply they haven't earned the faith I would need to put in them to fund a quality sequel. If they wanted to earn that faith, they could do that by being awesome and fixing the original game first.

Sargoth85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sargoth85

Not to be a jerk, but I wouldn't contribute on principle due to Nexus 1 never being fixed. I realize the publisher probably didn't fund support, but there's nothing that stopped the developer from putting out unofficial patches if they really cared about the IP or their reptuation.

Nexus 1 left me angrier than pretty much any game I've played due to a number of crashes that occur if don't perform mission actions in exactly the intended order. It's not even obscure or hard to duplicate stuff; in one instance it's as simple as destroying ship A before ship B.

I enjoyed what I played of Nexus before running into game breaking bugs, but quite simply they haven't earned the faith I would need to put in them to fund a quality sequel. If they wanted to earn that faith, they could do that by being awesome and fixing the original game first.

Onden

You sir, are a jerk

Neo-ST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Neo-ST
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I suppose he's one of those who won't help the developers now but will download cra*ked copy later anyway...
Onden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Onden
Member since 2005 • 30 Posts

I suppose he's one of those who won't help the developers now but will download cra*ked copy later anyway...Neo-ST

Wow you must be omniscient to know me so well :roll:

Choosing not to sink money into a developer that put out a hobbled game and then carelessly abandoned it is, outside of the world of rabid fandom, a rational decision. If the game does come to fruition and is decent, I'd have no trouble buying it. I'm just not going to put money down on a gamble that they'll do a better job with this one than they did on the last.

If they fixed the first game, showing that they both a) care about the IP and quality of their work and b) have the technical ability to put out a competent release, then I would feel more confident about putting money towards a sequel. Releasing a fix for Nexus 1 (and modernizing a bit - native widescreen support, etc) would honestly be a good move for them. It shouldn't take much time since there's no content production and it would renew interest in a sequel - which it seems they desperately need.

Sorry for having a dissenting opinion.

Chip5541

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chip5541
Member since 2003 • 175 Posts

My fingers are crossed.

bignick217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bignick217

K guys,

I just got the email today. Nexus 2 is now officially on Kickstarter. So everyone who wants to see this game made as I do, start making your pledges.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mostwanted/nexus-2-the-gods-awaken

Making my pledge today!

bignick217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bignick217

[QUOTE="Neo-ST"]I suppose he's one of those who won't help the developers now but will download cra*ked copy later anyway...Onden

Wow you must be omniscient to know me so well :roll:

Choosing not to sink money into a developer that put out a hobbled game and then carelessly abandoned it is, outside of the world of rabid fandom, a rational decision. If the game does come to fruition and is decent, I'd have no trouble buying it. I'm just not going to put money down on a gamble that they'll do a better job with this one than they did on the last.

If they fixed the first game, showing that they both a) care about the IP and quality of their work and b) have the technical ability to put out a competent release, then I would feel more confident about putting money towards a sequel. Releasing a fix for Nexus 1 (and modernizing a bit - native widescreen support, etc) would honestly be a good move for them. It shouldn't take much time since there's no content production and it would renew interest in a sequel - which it seems they desperately need.

Sorry for having a dissenting opinion.

Publisher... Not the Developer... The publisher killed it then sold out. Those kinds of things are often out of the developers control. Which is why the developers broke off and are now on their own. And Nexus was an excellent game even with the few bugs there were. I'll be making my pledge today. Here's hoping they hit their mark this time.
Sargoth85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sargoth85

http://kickstarter-conversations.blogspot.nl/2012/10/nexus-2-interview.html

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#21 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

It failed.

You can blame the publishers, the developers and such - but you are going to have to face the reality that full six-axes space strategy games are not easy to like.

Also, unlike some of you, I am not going to be bitter over others not supporting the game that I like.