New survival horror from Longest Journey and Dreamfall dev

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

As reported by Eurogamer.

Draugen, in development for PC, Mac, Linux and next-gen consoles, is set in Norway's west coast, famous for its deep fjords and mountains. Oslo-based studio Red Thread described Draugen as a "dark and disturbing journey into the pitch black heart of Norwegian national romanticism, as seen through the eyes of an American nature photographer, botanist and entomologist".

Draugen is set in the early 1920s, in a remote fishing community where everyone has mysteriously vanished. The player explores the settlement, gathering clues and memories as you try to uncover the truth behind a terrible tragedy.

"From time to time, a woman in black can be spotted in the distance," Red Thread teases. "Who is she, and what is her connection to this place? Who is the little girl singing broken lullabies as the sky begins to darken? And when night falls, and those last few, precious drops of kerosene in the lamp feed a fragile, flickering flame, what hides out there in the darkness and in the cold, black sea?

"Discover the clues. Uncover the memories. Decipher the past. Survive the night."

The Longest Journey is one of my all-time favorite games so anything new by Ragnar Tornquist gets my immediate attention. The premise and the setting is pretty unique and interesting. Amnesia sure proved to be a highly influential game.

Your thoughts?

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Pretty much all the press release has to say is "we did the Longest Journey" and I'll be there on day one. Dreamfall was good, but I think it lost something with its more "modern" (at that time) graphics. The fact that's it horror does add to the appeal.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i wasn't the biggest fan of the longest journey, but my gripes with that game had more to do with their interpretation of that genre. maybe survival horror will click more.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

They're working on this AND Dreamfall Chapters at the same time?

A little reassurance from their website:

I’m sure some of you are wondering how this might affect the development of Dreamfall Chapters.

The simple answer is: it won’t.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Never played Dreamfall, but this game sounds promising.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#6 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

It's coming to next gen consoles. I'll be all over this for my PS4.

NightlyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By NightlyOne
Member since 2009 • 331 Posts

I have never played The Longest Journey, but I am aware that it gets positive marks from a lot of people. With that in mind plus being a fan of survival horror, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Yes, yes. Let this surge of survival horror continue.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UpInFlames

@dvader654 said:

How is this survivor horror? Are there any gameplay details. Don't these guys mostly make non combat filled adventure games. Well I never played dreamfall maybe that had some combat.

It's first-person adventure survival horror like Amnesia. Non-combat survival horror games like Amnesia are the only true survival horror games left. Stuff like Resident Evil and Dead Space are just action games masquerading as survival horror.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts

I'd argue with some of the posts in this thread about which games were influential, but bugger it, this is great news.

If this has half of the atmosphere and mystery of Ragnar's last game, The Secret World, this will be definitely be worth keeping an eye on.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

More horror is a good thing, I am interested for sure.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

I am so sick of first person horror games. I'd really like more third person horror games.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Looking forward to playing this and Dream Fall Chapters on my PC when they come out hopefully the horror one will support the Occulus Rift assuming it first person.

NightlyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NightlyOne
Member since 2009 • 331 Posts

@dvader654 said:

Survival horror was a term invented by capcom to describe RE, a real survival horror game is one like RE, it has adventure elements with combat. In time every horror game used the name survival horror cause it was so well known. If it does not have combat it is not survival horror, simple as that. It is a horror adventure game.

A lack of combat in a horror game doesn't make it any less "survival horror". Why? It's still about survival. You are free to classify games as you wish, but your "combat-only" criteria for a game to be survival horror is rather off-putting.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReddestSkies

@dvader654 said:

Survival horror was a term invented by capcom to describe RE, a real survival horror game is one like RE, it has adventure elements with combat. In time every horror game used the name survival horror cause it was so well known. If it does not have combat it is not survival horror, simple as that. It is a horror adventure game.

If you're trying not to die, and it's a horror game, it's a survival horror game. Fighting back is not a prerequisite to survival.

gamefreak215jd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 gamefreak215jd
Member since 2012 • 361 Posts

Woah Dreamfall Chapters is still under development?!Thought I'd never be hearing anything about it.Speaking of a game from the adventure genre is Syberia 3 in the works?

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ReddestSkies

@gamefreak215jd said:

Woah Dreamfall Chapters is still under development?!Thought I'd never be hearing anything about it.Speaking of a game from the adventure genre is Syberia 3 in the works?

Chapters got a very successful kickstarter, Syberia 3 started production this summer and should be coming out in the next 2 years.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#20 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

surprising this news didn't come here first. Among the Sleep and Dreamfall chapters were announced here first

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UpInFlames

@dvader654 said:

That was a long time ago and Resident Evil doesn't fit that description anymore, games like this do. Survival horror is not a genre, it's a design concept (just like open world, for example).

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UpInFlames

@ReddestSkies said:

Syberia 3 started production this summer and should be coming out in the next 2 years.

What, I had no idea. I just looked it up, Benoit Sokal is on board so good news.

And yeah, I can't wait for Dreamfall Chapters.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ReddestSkies

@UpInFlames said:

@ReddestSkies said:

Syberia 3 started production this summer and should be coming out in the next 2 years.

What, I had no idea. I just looked it up, Benoit Sokal is on board so good news.

Not trying to derail the thread, but since we're talking about Sokal's genius, have you played and would you recommend Sinking Island and/or Paradise?

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UpInFlames

@ReddestSkies said:

@UpInFlames said:

@ReddestSkies said:

Not trying to derail the thread, but since we're talking about Sokal's genius, have you played and would you recommend Sinking Island and/or Paradise?

Actually no, I haven't played anything apart from the Syberia series.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UpInFlames

@dvader654 said:

Very true but what concept is it? Every game developer uses the term for anything horror related. People on message boards use it to describe whatever their own interpretation of survival horror is. It is by far the most undefined "genre" there is.

I stick with the tradition definition. I have no problems having horror games fit different genres. By my definition if a game is just about puzzle solving, no combat, its more an adventure title than a survival horror game which was based on limited options in combat.

Well, the concept is what you're actually trying to do. It's a horror game and the emphasis is squarely on your survival.

@dvader654 said:

Almost every single game on the planet you are trying not to die. How is that a determining factor for a genre. By your definition EVERY SINGLE HORROR themed game is a survival horror game.

I disagree. The focus in games such as Resident Evil and Dead Space isn't survival, it is to kill or destroy all your enemies just like in an ordinary action game, this is the only way to progress through the game. In games like Amnesia you can be killed, but you cannot kill. Your only goal is survival. Conceptually and design-wise, it's a huge difference.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ReddestSkies

Yeah I think that everyone's gonna have his own definition here. Especially when you throw into the mix the "is it scary?" criteria. And actually, I just realized that I never call anything "survival horror", but just "horror".

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I agree with the almighty D. Vader.

Alot of genres are being used way too loosely to describe games. Draugen definately fits a Horror Adventure more than it does survival horror, from what I can gather, in survival horror you do have some limited form of fighting back, the survival part comes from limited resources, bullets, batteries, 1st aid, and so on.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

@ReddestSkies said:

Yeah I think that everyone's gonna have his own definition here. Especially when you throw into the mix the "is it scary?" criteria. And actually, I just realized that I never call anything "survival horror", but just "horror".

Same Amnesia,Silent Hill,Resident evil games before 4 are all horror games to me.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

"Discover the clues. Uncover the memories. Decipher the past. Survive the night."

This is very similar to how they described Journey. Uncover lost secrets. Go on an adventure with a stranger.

And all we got was a on the rails game with nothing to do.

Parado_xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 Parado_xx
Member since 2011 • 111 Posts

The fact that it is set in Norway makes me fairly interested already, considering I'm from Norway myself, hahah.

gamefreak215jd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35  Edited By gamefreak215jd
Member since 2012 • 361 Posts

This one's a lot like L4D a bit more scary