Need help with GTA4

#1 Posted by ggamerr (64 posts) -

1. How do these missions work and when do they save?

2. How do you control the cars? The stick is so sensitive I am always veering all over.

3. How come I can't save in the middle of the Bleed Out mission and have to start all over each time? Will it save when I'm done the mission?

4. How long is the game if you follow a walkthrough and just burn right through as opposed to doing side missions?

5. If I choose to go on a date with Michelle, rather than help Roman, where does that put me in the game? Can I skip helping Roman or do I have to come back around and help him to move ahead in the game?

6. Is there one route of decision making to make to win the game or multiple choices along the way that you can make and still proceed forward?

#2 Edited by SoNin360 (6994 posts) -

ggamerr marked this as the best answer

1. You drive to locations on your map, usually marked with a letter, that starts up a mission. From what I remember, there aren't any checkpoints during missions. Your progress is saved once you complete a mission, and I'm pretty sure you can exit out of a mission if you want.

2. It just takes getting used to. You can't just hold on the accelerator at all times like you can in a lot of games. Gotta control your speed around turn. People tend to dislike this aspect of the game the most. I personally was fine with it after getting adjusted to it. It's different and in some ways I actually kinda liked it.

3. Guess I answered that already. You have to complete the mission in one go, no checkpoints.

4. Focusing mostly on story missions, the game can be completed in well under 30 hours.

5. It's been too long for me to remember exactly what you're talking about, but you won't be missing out on missions by doing one before another. The thing with Roman might be an introduction to his taxi driving thing. I dunno, just look for a map marker or call him if you want.

6. The game's story missions are mostly linear from what I remember. There's one major choice that I do remember, but aside from that the story plays out pretty much the same however you play the missions.

#3 Posted by GNS (259 posts) -

@ggamerr said:

1. How do these missions work and when do they save?

2. How do you control the cars? The stick is so sensitive I am always veering all over.

3. How come I can't save in the middle of the Bleed Out mission and have to start all over each time? Will it save when I'm done the mission?

4. How long is the game if you follow a walkthrough and just burn right through as opposed to doing side missions?

5. If I choose to go on a date with Michelle, rather than help Roman, where does that put me in the game? Can I skip helping Roman or do I have to come back around and help him to move ahead in the game?

6. Is there one route of decision making to make to win the game or multiple choices along the way that you can make and still proceed forward?

1. You walk/drive/fly to a location pointed on your mini-map (you can toggle in options whether you want GPS route or not) and you enter the highlighted area. The mission will trigger, after you complete it, the game is saved. You can also manually save the game by entering your hide-out.

2. I don't know, I use WASD keys and Spacebar. It's pretty simple.

3. Probably because this game does not use checkpoint system and, if you fail a mission, you have to start it all over again. Pro of this is, that you can via your phone re-enter the mission without having to again see the cut-scene.

4. Don't know, go to howlongtobeat.com

5. Nowhere. If you go on a date, Roman sends you a SMS message from a hospital and afterwards you can start his mission.

6. No, it is not an RPG. Albeit, there are couple of major decisions related to major characters, but at the end only.

Now, how drunk were you when posting this shit? 1-3 and 5 you could have easily find out yourself not one hour in to a game, especially 1-2. I would have told you to go f yourself for this post, but I had the time to play along.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21377 posts) -

A) There are no checkpoints. Exploit the AI.

B) None of your choices matter, just have fun.

#5 Posted by ggamerr (64 posts) -

@SoNin360: Thanks. That was a big help!

#6 Posted by ggamerr (64 posts) -

@gns: Helpful response until you made the stupid remarks at the end. And how is GTA not an rpg? You play a role!

#8 Posted by ggamerr (64 posts) -

@gns: I am trying to go through the missions in a linear way. I am getting confused because it seems like I easily end up on side missions- at least as far as the IGN Walkthrough seems to suggest. Do all these side missions all come together into the main narrative or what? What is the structure of the story?

#10 Edited by Lopzefc (18 posts) -

Start a new game

#11 Posted by ggamerr (64 posts) -

@lopzefc: What do you mean? Is the whole game consisting of different characters and then a set of missions for each, or are those side missions with a general mission thread that one can follow straight through instead?

#12 Posted by ggamerr (64 posts) -

Anyone have an answer?

#13 Posted by ggamerr (64 posts) -

Never mind people, I figured it out: It seems there are a bunch of different characters and each has a set of missions. You pretty much have to complete all of them to finish the game. If you fail at them, you go to your phone and retry. Once you succeed you are pushed forward to the next mission. I don't think there's any way to get lost mission-wise.

#14 Posted by ggamerr (64 posts) -

How do you tell time in this game? I keep missing dates with Michelle because I have no clock!