Need advice on purchasing our 1st game system

This topic is locked from further discussion.

meltonmania5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By meltonmania5
Member since 2015 • 21 Posts

Hello! Our daughter's 7th birthday is coming up in July and she would like a video game system. We also have a son who will turn 6 in December so this will be a joint birthday gift since he wants one, too. What game system is considered the best for children this age that will grow with them? My husband and I know nothing about video games - he still plays his old Intellivision. I have looked at the Nintendo Wii U but can you only use 1 gamepad or can you buy a 2nd one? I can see lots of fighting in our future if you can only use 1. I would very much appreciate advice from the experts on what to buy and any additional accessories I would need so they can both play. Thank you!

Mod edit - moved to Games discussion where there might be more help

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Wii U, no question.

The games are much better suited to kids and can entertain adults alike. You can only have one GamePad, but you can buy additional Wii Remotes (from the original Wii that work here) and Wii U Pro Controllers to work alongside.

Beyond that, you won't need accessories. Games I'd recommend for your family:

Mario Kart 8

Super Mario 3D World

Super Smash Bros

Nintendoland

New Super Mario Bros U

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

well first off hello to the Site, I might want to point you to the games discussion area, since you will not get alot of sense out of this subforum :)

the Wii U does support 2 game pads, although they are expensive, Luckily the Wii U also support others like the "pro controller" and Wii motes. which are a fair bit cheaper. As far as I know you can not use the two game pads to stream a game to both of them at the same time. So ultimately I would consider it almost a Waste.

The Wii U is a great system for children, likely the best, and it is easy to use for a child when it has been set up.

Alternatively the PS4 is not a bad idea, they do have some kids games on it, but it does appeal more to teens I think. it has the advantage that it has more small relatively cheap games on it. And a fairly large library of games overall, so ultimately it might "lasst longer" as the kids grow. It also has the advantage that games drop in Price fairly fast on it, while the Wii U games does not tend to fall alot in Price.

I would ask around in some stores, for a Wii U bundle first, they have the best games for children (and people with an inner child). many stores tends to give it a discount nowadays, and you likely will find bundles with 2 or more controllers (but only one touch pad). And a few games to start off.

If the Price of the console is too high, I would look for an alternative in the PS4.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

The Wii U is the best bet for kids under 10 since it has more family friendly games.

Realistically, you're only going to be using 1 Gamepad on the Wii U. All you need to buy, if you're interested in multiplayer, is a Wii Remote or a Pro Controller. That's it.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Um not to burst your bubble but your kids are too young for consoles. Get them a ball and play outside with them. There I said it

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The problem with a Wii U is the first time your children go over to Billy's house and see an Xbox One, they will throw rocks at the Wii U when they get home. Happens all the time. Plan ahead and get the best system first.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I would also say the Wii U is the one to buy personally. Loads of games that would be fun for the kids to play and even for you guys to play with them. You only use one gamepad but can play multiplayer with other controllers.

@ominous_titan said:

Um not to burst your bubble but your kids are too young for consoles. Get them a ball and play outside with them. There I said it

I started playing a console when I was 7 to be fair. Got on fine with Mario and Duck Hunt back then and soon picked up games like Metroid and Adventures of Link. Didn't turn me into a recluse either as I'd much rather be out and about then and now.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

WiiU is for the children

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic