Naughty Dog: PS4 has 5GB RAM - 6 cores available to devs.

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#51 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@firefox59 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@firefox59 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

That seems strange, i would have thought that they could use some extra power if they wanted to to sacrifice the OS power

But Sony didn't want to sacrifice the OS's capabilities. They wanted a console with multimedia function just like MS did. They just advertised their console differently and it worked.

Weird, i was under the impression it had more power. But because it uses DDR 5 and has a better GPU it's better? Is there something i am missing?

The PS4 does have a significantly better GPU and by significant I mean scientifically. There are 3rd party games that have better resolution on the PS4 but there are also a couple games coming out where the Xbox One version has matched the PS4 for 1080p 60 FPS. The Xbox One technically has more memory bandwidth but it's held within the ESRAM which devs are having trouble utilizing.

So it does have more graphical power but it seems like everything else is pretty much the same, which didn't seem to be the case before. The problem is Sony keeps shading over the truth and it's pissing people off.

But it has more power because it has more cores doesn't it?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Fairly certain we already knew this. I'm also sure that there another 1GB of RAM that games can use but it's managed by the OS.

That was just the Digital Foundry rumor that said 4.5GB for games and then another 0.5-1GB if the devs needed it. But now Naughty Dog has confirmed that it's a total of 5GB.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@firefox59 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Weird, i was under the impression it had more power. But because it uses DDR 5 and has a better GPU it's better? Is there something i am missing?

The PS4 does have a significantly better GPU and by significant I mean scientifically. There are 3rd party games that have better resolution on the PS4 but there are also a couple games coming out where the Xbox One version has matched the PS4 for 1080p 60 FPS. The Xbox One technically has more memory bandwidth but it's held within the ESRAM which devs are having trouble utilizing.

So it does have more graphical power but it seems like everything else is pretty much the same, which didn't seem to be the case before. The problem is Sony keeps shading over the truth and it's pissing people off.

The ESRAM bandwidth speeds are terribly misleading. ESRAM simply isn't a substitute for GDDR5 RAM. But it's main problem is the 32MB size. Apparently it's not big enough to fit 1080p with a decent AA solution.

But yeah, Sony hasn't been open about a lot of things, and people are starting to get sick of it. It's amazing to think that they still wont confirm which platform TLG is for. I mean the PS4 was announced over a year ago. Whats the need for secrecy?

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

@firefox59 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

The ESRAM bandwidth speeds are terribly misleading. ESRAM simply isn't a substitute for GDDR5 RAM. But it's main problem is the 32MB size. Apparently it's not big enough to fit 1080p with a decent AA solution.

But yeah, Sony hasn't been open about a lot of things, and people are starting to get sick of it. It's amazing to think that they still wont confirm which platform TLG is for. I mean the PS4 was announced over a year ago. Whats the need for secrecy?

This is true. Interestingly enough have read rumors of new SDK that will address some of the challenges with eSRAM. Should also be interesting how Direct X12 impacts the Xbox One. Hopefully we have a better idea after GDC.

Sony, not being open? Is anyone really surprised? They are the kings of hype and masters of pre-launch marketing, MS would be well served to hire some folks from Sonys marketing group.

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55  Edited By SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

5GB isn't enough these days anyway, commonly 6 TO 8 is the average amount for the top games I mean.

wolf503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 269

#56  Edited By wolf503
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts

I kind of expected a fair bit of ram to be put away. When I first heard 8gb I thought it was awesome, but they started mentioning all these other extra features which I think are awesome too but then I realised there is 1 important piece of tech needed to temporarily hold all the background tasks while they're not entirely in use and there goes roughly 50% of your ram. I kind of think they could have added a menu/system option to disable all that background stuff and unlock the rest of the RAM but developers would actually need to utilise it to warrant that change for Sony.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake said:

This is true. Interestingly enough have read rumors of new SDK that will address some of the challenges with eSRAM. Should also be interesting how Direct X12 impacts the Xbox One. Hopefully we have a better idea after GDC.

Sony, not being open? Is anyone really surprised? They are the kings of hype and masters of pre-launch marketing, MS would be well served to hire some folks from Sonys marketing group.

Yeah, obviously a 32 MB piece of memory won't hold up 1:1 against DDR5, but there are two things to consider. One is that it's hard to know what to believe at this point. The ESRAM is supposed to be fast enough to rush everything through but it can't handle the complicated things like AA. There are devs on record though, saying that when they figure out the ESRAM it will no big deal. It isn't as big a problem as the CELL was for the PS3 where it took devs 3 years to get games looking better. The other thing is the announcement that the Xbox One was designed with DX12 in mind. We'll have to see if that is the magically solution that unlocks the potential of the ESRAM.

xjbond007x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58 xjbond007x
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Can you say Uncharted!!

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

wait when hasn't 5gb of ram and 6 cores been enough for games???? I mean all I'm saying is look at the likes of The Last Of Us and Uncharted and Gears of Wars they were all made with 256gb of ram, I mean this gen is going to go far beyond what we had last gen, I believe they need to keep that much locked away for the future of the UI and Apps which seem to be taking over our gaming consoles on both sides, I mean take Xbox One for Example were meant to be in it for the games so the jump in graphics should be a given and yet we get the XboxOne which was actually designed with the Apps in mind first and the games in second.

hermitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By hermitron
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Guys, chill out, as a pc user i can assure you that 5 gigs is plenty enough for years ahead- i mean even the r290x has 4 gigs of VRAM and the nvidia 780ti runs with 3gig and those cards are 4k rdy, let alone 1080p. I wonder though WHY 3 gigs of ram are locked though- i mean my windows 8.1 pro installation occupies 2.8 gigs ram WITH superfetch on (caches what it predicts you will run in ram) and thats not a half-ar@sed os like the consoles ones-i mean i doubt ps4 runs a print spooler service for you know... Printing :P

I think the performance problems you experience is due to the tablet processor both consoles use and the bloat in x86 code. There is no such thing as "optimize to the metal" in this gen - just standard pc like sdks be it dx12 or opengl 4~~ tuned to work for the exact hardware which is a bonus be it low-med-or high settings. Mind you things WILL improve with devs mastering HSA (the cpu helping in gpu eg physics an viceversa) as i belief sony and ms are Amd's guinea pigs -trojan horse in that regard but expect no miracles-in pc tech gaming performance is decided by IPC and number of cores combo and on that regard the ''jaguars'' in the consoles are kinda on the low end-even compared to the ''old-gen'' consoles.

Btw: in my book the x1 running 3 virtualized os'es its a feat needing so low ram-on the ps4 i don't know many linux light installtions needing 3 gigs of ram.

So no-sorry to burst your bubble its not the ram making games in consoles to stutter run low res or whatever, they don't sport ultra quality textures anyway - its the cpu in the apu, low performing, and the codepath, and pc like arch.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

Come on, if this topic is considered system wars material, the entire front page of "Flamespot" should be in there as well.