This topic is locked from further discussion.

MichaelToreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MichaelToreno
Member since 2010 • 176 Posts

Ok so if you're like me and grew up playing video games in the 90's then it was one or the other. :thumb:

For me, it was PSX all the way.

Some argue N64 had the quality, but I think PSX had both quality and quantity. The way I see it is N64 had the multiplayer down while PSX was all about the single player experience. So essentially for me, it was 1 day a week I'd play N64 with friends, and the other 6 I'd spend on the PSX.

Plus PSX had the greatest JRPGs of any console, of all time for me.

Oh and if this belongs in system wars, my bad. I'm not sure which forum it should go in.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I was PSX all the way. Bigger and more diverse library of games. I bought my PSX before there was even a N64. And when the N64 came out, I hated, and still hate the controller. I have an N64 now, though. There are some gems on it.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#3 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

for me

PS1>Saturn>N64

that said, the N64 is a very good system with some very nice games,

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
I played my Playstation often than my N64.
ubpoker123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ubpoker123
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts
PS1.
Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

PS1. Coming off the SNES the N64 was a disappointment, though it had some good games. Just not enough IMO.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

For me hands down the PSX. That console had some of the best gaming experience I have ever had, from games like MGS, to Xenogears....experiences like that I could not have on the N64 which in its own right is not a bad console by anymeans, but I prefer the PSX a hundred times over!!!

snes_vs_ps1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 320

#8 snes_vs_ps1
Member since 2009 • 10359 Posts

PSX-Greatest Generator of Nostalgia...ever!:D

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I was an N64 kid.

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

I had and loved the PS1 but I always wanted an N64, I finally got it and thought it was great but I liked the PS1 a lot more.

PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts
I prefer N64 over PSX. The obvious point to make is that the graphics are better. 32-bits better. 32-bit graphics are just so meh. However, the biggest point to make is definitely games. The N64 has Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Party and Mario Kart 64, just to name a few. I haven't gotten too much into the PSX so this is just my kinda biased opinion.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkman2007
I prefer N64 over PSX. The obvious point to make is that the graphics are better. 32-bits better. 32-bit graphics are just so meh. However, the biggest point to make is definitely games. The N64 has Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Party and Mario Kart 64, just to name a few. I haven't gotten too much into the PSX so this is just my kinda biased opinion.PersonNinja
32bit graphics?? what does that mean? youre saying the original Xbox had bad graphics . every console from back then had issues with the graphics, and the 64 is no exception. gamewise it had some good games though, even if it lacked in the figthting game genre
PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts
[QUOTE="PersonNinja"]I prefer N64 over PSX. The obvious point to make is that the graphics are better. 32-bits better. 32-bit graphics are just so meh. However, the biggest point to make is definitely games. The N64 has Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Party and Mario Kart 64, just to name a few. I haven't gotten too much into the PSX so this is just my kinda biased opinion.Darkman2007
32bit graphics?? what does that mean? youre saying the original Xbox had bad graphics . every console from back then had issues with the graphics, and the 64 is no exception. gamewise it had some good games though, even if it lacked in the figthting game genre

Who's talking about the original XBox? The original PlayStation is a 32-bit console.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="PersonNinja"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="PersonNinja"]
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="PersonNinja"]I prefer N64 over PSX. The obvious point to make is that the graphics are better. 32-bits better. 32-bit graphics are just so meh. However, the biggest point to make is definitely games. The N64 has Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Party and Mario Kart 64, just to name a few. I haven't gotten too much into the PSX so this is just my kinda biased opinion.PersonNinja

Who's talking about the original XBox? The original PlayStation is a 32-bit console.

the original Xbox is technically a 32 bit system, as it has a 32bit CPU
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007

the problem with that generation is that there was such as wide range of systems, that the term "32bit graphics" is hard to grasp.

think of it this way, the 3DO is a 32bit system , but the visuals are not as good as the PS1 or Saturn.

the Jaguar is a 64bit system and again , not as good as those 2 later systems.

heck , AmigaCD32 was a 32bit system and most of its games looked only a bit better then SNES games.

if youre talking about the PS1 though , I suppose its a matter of taste.

I think every console of those main 3 had its strength.

Ive yet to see a game as smooth as Conker's Bad Fur Day on either the PS1 or Saturn.

on the other hand, ive yet to see a game with as high a resolution as Dead or Alive Saturn , on either the N64 or PS1.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I only had a N64 back in those days so I can't give a proper judgement, but revisiting the games for these systems, I would say N64 is a lot better to me. PS1 had more games and the edge when it came to fighers, racing games, JRPGs and survival horror games, but I just enjoyed the great platformers, action RPGs (both Zelda games) and first-person shooters on the N64 more than PS1 games. That's not to say PS1 didn't have some great games, though.

As for the graphics, I'll say that N64 graphics might have been a little blurry, but atleast they were smooth (unlike the pixelated, unstable graphics on the PS1 which compensated their lack of smoothness with pre-rendered backgrounds and CGI movies).

And if we drag the PC into this discussion, another advantage for the N64 was that most N64 exclusives didn't see a PC port, whereas many PS1 exclusives did get a (superior) PC version (although there were emulators for both systems made, but let's leave that).

But 3rd party support was superior on the PS1, that's undeniable.

The way I see it is N64 had the multiplayer down while PSX was all about the single player experience.

MichaelToreno

Games like Ocarina, Majora, Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, ect. all offered great single player expereinces.

Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Emurozii
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts

PS1 > Saturn > N64

Anybody who votes forN64 are either basing their decision on better graphics, nostalgia, that they've not playedmuch of the PS1/not experienced muchof the PS1's massive library, the better Platformer games.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345

PS1 > Saturn > N64

Anybody who votes forN64 are either basing their decision on better graphics, nostalgia, that they've not playedmuch of the PS1/not experienced muchof the PS1's massive library, the better Platformer games.

Emurozii

I disagree. Anyone has the right to vote for the system that he enjoyed more.

Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Emurozii

[QUOTE="Emurozii"]

PS1 > Saturn > N64

nameless12345

Of course some people will enjoy the N64 the most. I'm just pointing out as to why I think most people would prefer the N64, apart from simply enjoying it the most.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Emurozii"]

PS1 > Saturn > N64

Emurozii

Of course some people will enjoy the N64 the most. I'm just pointing out as to why I think most people would prefer the N64, apart from simply enjoying it the most.

Though, you can't predispose that the reasons only are as such. For example I didn't own a PS1 back then, but I played a lot of PS1 games (even the superior PC versions) and I still like N64 exclusives over PS1 exclusives.

There are no facts when it comes to gaming taste, just opinions ;)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nameless12345

That said, I will say that the PS1 was superior for fighters, racers, JRPGs and survival horror games, whereas N64 was superior for platformers, ARPGs and first-person shooters.

Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Emurozii

[QUOTE="Emurozii"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Though, you can't predispose that the reasons only are as such. For example I didn't own a PS1 back then, but I played a lot of PS1 games (even the superior PC versions) and I still like N64 exclusives over PS1 exclusives.

I know some people are still going to prefer the N64 for whatever reasons,but there is a fact here my friend: a vast amount of the N64's library hasn't stood the test of time. The PS1 has been affected as well, but nowhere near as much. A lot of the N64's games have aged badly. We should view the consoles as to wether or not you can pick them up today and still have just as much fun. In no way am I saying the N64's a bad console, but you'll be lucky to have as much fun as you did back then as you would today with a lot of the games.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Emurozii"]

Emurozii

I know some people are still going to prefer the N64 for whatever reasons,but there is a fact here my friend: a vast amount of the N64's library hasn't stood the test of time. The PS1 has been affected as well, but nowhere near as much. A lot of the N64's games have aged badly. We should view the consoles as to wether or not you can pick them up today and still have just as much fun. In no way am I saying the N64's a bad console, but you'll be lucky to have as much fun as you did back then as you would today with a lot of the games.

The problem with your statement is that it's completely subjective ;)

You say that N64 games aged worse than PS1 games, but I think that PS1 games actually aged worse than N64.

As you can see, there is no objective truth to this, just personal opinions ;)

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Emurozii"]

Emurozii

I agree one hundred percent. I find that the Original MGS is vastly playable and paced quite well where as say Goldeneye feels choppy and slow unfortunatley.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#25 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
I love both, but I have many more great gaming memories attached to the PS1.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nameless12345

[QUOTE="Emurozii"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

TheTrueMagusX1

I agree one hundred percent. I find that the Original MGS is vastly playable and paced quite well where as say Goldeneye feels choppy and slow unfortunatley.

How do these two games compare even? One is a stealth action game while the other is a first-person shooter.

And show me a better platformer than Mario 64 on the PS1 (Spyro? Good joke :P ).

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
Psx all the way!
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Emurozii"]

nameless12345

How do these two games compare even? One is a stealth action game while the other is a first-person shooter.

And show me a better platformer than Mario 64 on the PS1 (Spyro? Good joke :P ).

I personally prefer the original Tomb Raider to Mario 64, I also prefer Burning Rangers on the Saturn to Mario 64, but it could be just me.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

Darkman2007

I personally prefer the original Tomb Raider to Mario 64, I also prefer Burning Rangers on the Saturn to Mario 64, but it could be just me.

These two are more shooters/platformer hybrids, but okay.

I don't like Mario 64 too much myself by the way. I think Banjo-Kazooie was superior :)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

I don't like Mario 64 too much myself by the way. I think Banjo-Kazooie was superior :)

Banjo Kazooie is indeed better then Mario 64, though I still think Conker is a better game then either. I agree on the shooter/hybrid thing, though its more platformer then shooter, which is why I mentioned them like I said before I think each system had its strenghts ,
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Emurozii"]

nameless12345

They are comparable in terms of aging. Metal Gear Solid is playable, where itdoes not feel choppy or slow, and Goldeneye feels slow and choppy. Anyhow it is a pretty slow and choppy game. Thats how you can compare them not that hard to figure out.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Than if Banjo Kazooie is superior why did you challenge us to show you a better platformer as if it is impossible, but yet you do it yourself? Funny huh...

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

I go PSX on this one. Tons of great games...MGS, GT1/2, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Soul Blade, Super Puzzle Fighter. tons of games for any genre.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Darkman2007

I go PSX on this one. Tons of great games...MGS, GT1/2, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Soul Blade, Super Puzzle Fighter. tons of games for any genre.

sayyy-gaa
while my list would be radically different, I would say its my favourite system that gen :P Saturn comes a fairly close 2nd and the N64 3rd.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
PS1>N64>>>>>>>>>>>>> Saturn
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

i have more nostalgic ties with n64 due to having it first and playing it more often than ps1. my fanboyism wants me to hate sony so much but i think its because everyone is favoring it and i had sony consoles fail the most

MichaelToreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MichaelToreno
[QUOTE="PersonNinja"]I prefer N64 over PSX. The obvious point to make is that the graphics are better. 32-bits better. 32-bit graphics are just so meh. However, the biggest point to make is definitely games. The N64 has Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Party and Mario Kart 64, just to name a few. I haven't gotten too much into the PSX so this is just my kinda biased opinion.Darkman2007

Not to mention RPGs. I can't think of a single noteworthy RPG for N64, and that's one of the biggest reasons I prefer PSX.
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

That said, I will say that the PS1 was superior for fighters, racers, JRPGs and survival horror games, whereas N64 was superior for platformers, ARPGs and first-person shooters.

nameless12345

I would give racing games to the N64 for one reason alone, during that generation I used to check every racing game I bought to make sure it had a four player option, no four player option pretty much meant a racing game was worthless to me (unless it had some kind of original hook, but even then I tended to play Wave Race and 1080 less than the 4-player games). PS1 games didn't really include four player options until the very end of the generation (the latter half of 1999) by which point I was playing Dreamcast.

But apart from that the N64 has a very diverse selection of imaginative racing games anyway, from rally/serious (World Driver Championship/Top Gear Rally 2, V-Rally 99), to futuristic (F-Zero, Rush 2049, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, Wipeout 64, Extreme G), to sports (Wave Race, 1080, Excitebike), to arcadey (Ridge Racer 64, Beetle Adventure Racing, Top Gear Overdrive), to Karting (Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Snowboard Kids), to quirky/weird (Micro Machines 64, Iggy's Wrekin' Balls)

Sure the PS1 had the numbers, but a lot of them seemed like cookie cutter racing games to me, not doing anything wrong per ce, but not standing out much either. Obviously Ridge Racer 64, and Wipeout 64 certainly weren't the greatest iteration's of their series' available, but they were very respectable for their times, and I would've missed out on some good times with my friends had I gone with the PS1 versions instead due to the lack of multiplayer. Also, to be honest I would never have had any intention of upgrading my racing games every year, which seemed to be the PS1 way of doing things, i'd have prob bought either Ridge Racer or Revolution, and then forgotten about bothering with Rage Racer, or R4 unless I stumbled upon one of them going cheap, I like to spread my money around into different games, not spend it on incremental improvements once a year.

So yeah, Racing I would personally give to N64, along with 3D platformers, First person shooters, and generally any kind of multiplayer party games, everything else is better on PS1 pretty much though, and a lot of the genre's (such as RPG's) are better on PS1 by a substantial degree.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JuarN18
Not to mention RPGs. I can't think of a single noteworthy RPG for N64, and that's one of the biggest reasons I prefer PSX.MichaelToreno
Paper Mario :P but i agree the N64's RPG library is bad
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Darkman2007
PS1>N64>>>>>>>>>>>>> SaturnJuarN18
you must not be a fan of arcade games :P
MichaelToreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MichaelToreno

[QUOTE="MichaelToreno"]

The way I see it is N64 had the multiplayer down while PSX was all about the single player experience.nameless12345

Games like Ocarina, Majora, Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, ect. all offered great single player expereinces.

What's your point? I'm well aware N64 had some good single player games. What you listed is about the extent of them too, IMO. I wasn't dissing N64 when I said that anyways, I was complimenting PS1

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JuarN18

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]PS1>N64>>>>>>>>>>>>> SaturnDarkman2007

lol! to be honest..... nah

virtua racing is awesome though

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="PersonNinja"]I prefer N64 over PSX. The obvious point to make is that the graphics are better. 32-bits better. 32-bit graphics are just so meh. However, the biggest point to make is definitely games. The N64 has Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Party and Mario Kart 64, just to name a few. I haven't gotten too much into the PSX so this is just my kinda biased opinion.MichaelToreno

Not to mention RPGs. I can't think of a single noteworthy RPG for N64, and that's one of the biggest reasons I prefer PSX.

Legend of Zelda , though Im not sure if that can be called an RPG. the system also lacks alot of fighting games, which is my biggest issue with it along with the small RPG library
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="JuarN18"]PS1>N64>>>>>>>>>>>>> SaturnJuarN18

lol! to be honest..... nah

virtua racing is awesome though

well , if you don't like arcade games and fighting games I can understand why you might dislike the Saturn. trust me though , there are far better arcade games on the Saturn then Virtua Racing . also its fighting game library wipes the floor with both the PS1 and N64 , at least imo
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 silent_bomber

[QUOTE="MichaelToreno"]Not to mention RPGs. I can't think of a single noteworthy RPG for N64, and that's one of the biggest reasons I prefer PSX.JuarN18

There's Ogre Battle 64 too, which is a pretty nice game, I think those are the only two good traditional style JRPGs on N64.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="JuarN18"][QUOTE="MichaelToreno"]Not to mention RPGs. I can't think of a single noteworthy RPG for N64, and that's one of the biggest reasons I prefer PSX.Domino_slayer

There's Ogre Battle 64 too, which is a pretty nice game, I think those are the only two good traditional style JRPGs on N64 which are good.

sadly the big names making RPGs like Square and Enix left and joined Sony, while the smaller developers like Game Arts stuck with Sega . had the N64 had a CD drive, it would have probably had more RPGs, like FF7, which was intended for the N64.
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 silent_bomber

sadly the big names making RPGs like Square and Enix left and joined Sony, while the smaller developers like Game Arts stuck with Sega . had the N64 had a CD drive, it would have probably had more RPGs, like FF7, which was intended for the N64.Darkman2007
At the time I never understood why there wasn't a proper Pokemon game for N64, they just kept churning out those battle simulation stadium games, of course these days its apparent that they don't seem to ever have any intention of going onto the big consoles with main branch Pokemon games, but back then I always thought it would be a logical step.

Earthbound 64 was going to be another big RPG, they got pretty far along but then got stuck in development hell and ended up canceling.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]sadly the big names making RPGs like Square and Enix left and joined Sony, while the smaller developers like Game Arts stuck with Sega . had the N64 had a CD drive, it would have probably had more RPGs, like FF7, which was intended for the N64.Domino_slayer

At the time I never understood why there wasn't a proper Pokemon game for N64, they just kept churning out those battle simulation stadium games, of course these days its apparent that they don't seem to ever have any intention of going onto the big consoles with main branch Pokemon games, but back then I always thought it would be a logical step.

Earthbound 64 was going to be another big RPG, they got pretty far along but then got stuck in development hell and ended up canceling.

I wonder if they felt that if a 3D pokemon RPG on N64 would drain the sales away from the Gameboy versions..... thats the only reasons I can think of, because quite frankly , there would have been alot of people who would have bought an N64 just for a 3D pokemon RPG, Nintendo would have known that. then again it could have been a storage issue......
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
My vote's for the N64. Had some good times with it. Mostly the usual Nintendo games, but some third-party ones as well-though in retrospect, they were mostly action/adventure games and FPSs like Perfect Dark. Still, I enjoyed it, so did my friends (most of my fondest local multiplayer memories are on the N64), and good times to the beat of catchy game tunes were had by all. (Seriously, show me an N64 game, and I just might reply "Hear that? That's the sound of nostalgia.") I did opt for a PS1 at one point...and returned it. Wasn't exactly my cup of tea, though I wasn't the most informed about its game library at the time. In retrospect, I still see it as a JRPG console first and foremost, while being somewhat balanced in terms of other genres not being particularly strong or weak. In short, it's a vast and well-rounded library, but I can only think of a few standout titles that AREN'T JRPGs and were exclusive during that generation. (Oh, and some of those JRPGs are Saturn ports, but Bernie Stolar in his oh-so-infinite wisdom wouldn't let Working Designs proceed with localizing them.) The Saturn didn't even really enter my mind 'til the 6th console generation was well underway, and all the notable Saturn titles were expensive, Japan-only, or both. It's freaky how I'm more fixated on it now than the other two, probably because I really want to find out if the exclusives are really that good. I do kind of miss having reliable access to one of my PCs during that generation, however...let's just say that I often found myself living amongst two different houses, and one of them was PC-less while the other had several (and likely started to make me a PC enthusiast).
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheTrueMagusX1

My vote's for the N64. Had some good times with it. Mostly the usual Nintendo games, but some third-party ones as well-though in retrospect, they were mostly action/adventure games and FPSs like Perfect Dark. Still, I enjoyed it, so did my friends (most of my fondest local multiplayer memories are on the N64), and good times to the beat of catchy game tunes were had by all. (Seriously, show me an N64 game, and I just might reply "Hear that? That's the sound of nostalgia.") I did opt for a PS1 at one point...and returned it. Wasn't exactly my cup of tea, though I wasn't the most informed about its game library at the time. In retrospect, I still see it as a JRPG console first and foremost, while being somewhat balanced in terms of other genres not being particularly strong or weak. In short, it's a vast and well-rounded library, but I can only think of a few standout titles that AREN'T JRPGs and were exclusive during that generation. (Oh, and some of those JRPGs are Saturn ports, but Bernie Stolar in his oh-so-infinite wisdom wouldn't let Working Designs proceed with localizing them.) The Saturn didn't even really enter my mind 'til the 6th console generation was well underway, and all the notable Saturn titles were expensive, Japan-only, or both. It's freaky how I'm more fixated on it now than the other two, probably because I really want to find out if the exclusives are really that good. I do kind of miss having reliable access to one of my PCs during that generation, however...let's just say that I often found myself living amongst two different houses, and one of them was PC-less while the other had several (and likely started to make me a PC enthusiast).NamelessPlayer

You got the Working Designs and Bernie Stolar Story wrong.....completely wrong actually. See the story goes like this, Victor Ireland who was the president of the great WD, went to Stolar who was the President of SCEA during the early years of the Playstation. See WD wanted to bring Arc the Lad to the PSX, but Bernie Stolar made the comment that RPGS are not the future and bashed WD saying their games the ones they published did not help the TG16 CD or the Sega CD. This started a rivalry and WD ended up being a Saturn publisher(Which you left out), but than SCEA got rid of Stolar and he went to Sega. That of course with the demise of the Saturn prompted WD to move to Sony, where they eventually got to publish Arc the Lad among other titles as well. It had some to do with Stolar not wanting rpgs, but you left out the rivalry between Stolar and Ireland out copletely.