N64 vs PS1 - Graphics Comparison

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Judge-Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#-49 Judge-Gabranth
Member since 2010 • 58 Posts

unless you are just sold-out for Sony, I don't see how anyone can think PS1 games look as good as N64... oh well...

but then again, some people still think the PS3 can outmatch the best gaming PC's :lol:

Scoob64

Why not, diference is barely visible, unles you want to nitpick every pixel now, they're practically equal with PS One not being prevented to show his full potential (CD > Cartridge), though you make it sound like N64 is a new generation console in this comparison, thus making difference in graphics enormous.

As for games not looking good as those on N64, well, you have to be either ignorant or Nintendo fanboy to make such statement, seems like someone hasn't played Gran Turismo 2 or Final Fantasy IX for that matter.

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#-48 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

unless you are just sold-out for Sony, I don't see how anyone can think PS1 games look as good as N64... oh well...

but then again, some people still think the PS3 can outmatch the best gaming PC's :lol:

Judge-Gabranth

Why not, diference is barely visible, unles you want to nitpick every pixel now, they're practically equal with PS One not being prevented to show his full potential (CD > Cartridge), though you make it sound like N64 is a new generation console in this comparison, thus making difference in graphics enormous.

As for games not looking good as those on N64, well, you have to be either ignorant or Nintendo fanboy to make such statement, seems like someone hasn't played Gran Turismo 2 or Final Fantasy IX for that matter.

i have played FFIX... but I haven't seen one PS game that can match Banjo Tooie or MM...

CrankyStorming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#-47 CrankyStorming
Member since 2010 • 223 Posts

I'm not sure how much better Majora's Mask looks with the expansion than Ocarina does without. Surely that just makes the whole thing redundant.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#-46 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

Judge-Gabranth

FF9 is not an example of a technically impressive game, sure the characters are 3D and nicely modeled , but the enviroments are all 2D pictures essentially. games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, which is a fully 3D RPG, are much more impressive.

Judge-Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-45 Judge-Gabranth

[QUOTE="Judge-Gabranth"]

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

Scoob64

i have played FFIX... but I haven't seen one PS game that can match Banjo Tooie or MM...

I asume MM stands for Majora's Mask, as for Banjo Tooie, can't and wont say anything about it as I have yet to play that game, though your current statment doesn't sound right, doesn't sound right to me that is. Two arguably better looking games made you say that PS One games don't look good as the ones on N64, they may not look good as those two, which again can be argued, but what about the other titles on N64. If I was you I wouldn't make such hasty statement's.

@Darkman2007 - indeed, you're absolutely right, quite a wrong example on my side. Though I still stand at Gran Turismo 2, impressive looking cars, quite a bit of them, over 600 if I'm not mistaken, and over 20 tracks to it with good looking environment, how they managed to pack it in one CD (don't count multiplayer CD) is beyond me, I have yet to see a N64 game that aged so well.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-44 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

[QUOTE="Judge-Gabranth"]

Judge-Gabranth

I asume MM stands for Majora's Mask, as for Banjo Tooie, can't and wont say anything about it as I have yet to play that game, though your current statment doesn't sound right, doesn't sound right to me that is. Two arguably better looking games made you say that PS One games don't look good as the ones on N64, they may not look good as those two, which again can be argued, but what about the other titles on N64. If I was you I wouldn't make such hasty statement's.

@Darkman2007 - indeed, you're absolutely right, quite a wrong example on my side. Though I still stand at Gran Turismo 2, impressive looking cars, quite a bit of them, over 600 if I'm not mistaken, and over 20 tracks to it with good looking environment, how they managed to pack it in one CD (don't count multiplayer CD) is beyond me, I have yet to see a N64 game that aged so well.

Grand Turismo 2 looks great for a PS1 game I agree, in terms of a good RPG to show, Grandia is a good example for both the Saturn and PS1 (though the Saturn version is a bit smoother)

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-43 Scoob64

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

[QUOTE="Judge-Gabranth"]

Judge-Gabranth

well, considering how much more powerful the Nintendo 64 is versus the PlayStation, its not insane to say that games do indeed look much better (though of course the proof is in the pudding as they say- and Nintendo 64 does deliver...) the reason I pointed out those 2 games was due to the fact they are the best looking on N64 imo... and they really set the bar so much higher than the PS can achieve. if you want more proof still...

Banjo Kazooie

Banjo Tooie

Perfect Dark

Wave Race 64

Zelda: OOT

Zelda: MM

Conkers Bad Fur Day

Donkey Kong 64

granted, the cartridge did hold back the specs some- and some PSX games did look mighty good. however, I have yet to see a PSOne match the graphics of the best looking Nintendo 64 games.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-42 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Judge-Gabranth"]

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

Scoob64

well, considering how much more powerful the Nintendo 64 is versus the PlayStation, its not insane to say that games do indeed look much better (though of course the proof is in the pudding as they say- and Nintendo 64 does deliver...) the reason I pointed out those 2 games was due to the fact they are the best looking on N64 imo... and they really set the bar so much higher than the PS can achieve. if you want more proof still...

Banjo Kazooie

Banjo Tooie

Perfect Dark

Wave Race 64

Conkers Bad Fur Day

Donkey Kong 64

granted, the cartridge did hold back the specs some- and some PSX games did look mighty good. however, I have yet to see a PSOne match the graphics of the best looking Nintendo 64 games.

the N64 seems to suffer the same issues as the Saturn in that most games were made for the PS1, and then given a sloppy port to either system, usually with little to no improvements in quality, and in the Saturn 's case , some games were downgraded due to the architecture the ones actually made for the system do show it off more.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#-41 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Really, the N64 is as close to DC and PS2 then the PS1. I have no idea why this is even an argument. It's like Xbox vs. PS2 when Xbox is as close to the 360 as the PS2.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#-40 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 771 Posts

Actually the N64 was a much more graphically capable platform than PS1.But it appears Sony was much more concerned to hide their machine's graphical weakness and nintendo were never too interested in showing off their machine's graphical prowess(a shame).

Judge-Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-39 Judge-Gabranth

[QUOTE="Judge-Gabranth"]

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

Scoob64

Banjo Kazooie

Banjo Tooie

Perfect Dark

Wave Race 64

Conkers Bad Fur Day

Donkey Kong 64

N64 has indeed better graphics which I already said in my first post, though due to small sized cartridges N64 was never able to show it's full potential, graphicswise also, that's why difference betwen PS One and N64 games is barely there, graphicswise that is, at least not nearly much as you make it out to be.

@magnax1 - exaggerating a bit, aren't we...

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-38 magnax1

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

[QUOTE="Judge-Gabranth"]

Judge-Gabranth

Banjo Kazooie

Banjo Tooie

Perfect Dark

Wave Race 64

Conkers Bad Fur Day

Donkey Kong 64

N64 has indeed better graphics which I already said in my first post, though due to small sized cartridges N64 was never able to show it's full potential, graphicswise also, that's why difference betwen PS One and N64 games is barely there, graphicswise that is, at least not nearly much as you make it out to be.

Not really. MGS, which was considered one of the best looking games on the PS1, is at best an average game for N64. Just like shadow of Collosus is at best average for an XBox game. Like I said people that think this is a close comparison are kidding themselves.

Judge-Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-37 Judge-Gabranth

[QUOTE="Judge-Gabranth"]

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

Banjo Kazooie

Banjo Tooie

Perfect Dark

Wave Race 64

Conkers Bad Fur Day

Donkey Kong 64

magnax1

Not really. MGS, which was considered one of the best looking games on the PS1, is at best an average game for N64. Just like shadow of Collosus is at best average for an XBox game. Like I said people that think this is a close comparison are kidding themselves.

Yes, I do know that N64 has better graphics than PS One, as does Xbox compared to PS2, I never said otherwise, but N64 being close to PS2, and Xbox to Xbox 360, in any way, graficswise including, is just hilarious, what concerns me more is that you're dead serious. As for Metal Gear Solid, I for once never consider it one of the best looking games for PS One, I do consider Gran Turismo 2, which would definitely be one of the best looking games on N64, if such port was posible.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-36 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="Judge-Gabranth"]

Judge-Gabranth

Yes, I do know that N64 has better graphics than PS One, as does Xbox compared to PS2, I never said otherwise, but N64 being close to PS2, and Xbox to Xbox 360, in any way, graficswise including, is just hilarious, what concerns me more is that you're dead serious. As for Metal Gear Solid, I for once never consider it one of the best looking games for PS One, I do consider Gran Turismo 2, which would definitely be one of the best looking games on N64, if such port was posible.

Banjo tooie wouldn't be a terrible looking game on PS2 standards, and games like Doom 3, and Conker (the remake) are below average for 360. In other words, those games don't look worse then many of the worse looking games on the 360 or PS2, so really to say that it's as close to the PS2/360 isn't crazy since the same is true of PS1/N64 as N64/PS2.

AntoineCoyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-35 AntoineCoyote
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

I only owned an N64 in the day but knew several people with PS1 and have a few Ps1 games off of the PSN. Tpyically I'd say that PS1 games had much better texture detail than the N64 but the N64 had much smoother graphics and better character models. The reason for Ps1 games having better texturing is the much better storage capacity of CDs as opposed to cartridges.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-34 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="Judge-Gabranth"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

Banjo tooie wouldn't be a terrible looking game on PS2 standards, and games like Doom 3, and Conker (the remake) are below average for 360. In other words, those games don't look worse then many of the worse looking games on the 360 or PS2, so really to say that it's as close to the PS2/360 isn't crazy since the same is true of PS1/N64 as N64/PS2.

Banjo Tooie would be a terrible looking game even by Dreamcast standards.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-33 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="Judge-Gabranth"]

hakanakumono

It'd be in the bottom 1/3rd, but it's definitely within the systems graphical standards.

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-32 killerneub
Member since 2010 • 214 Posts

it seems to me that the PSone had more realistic character designs

but then the backgrounds and effects were very fuzzy

while the N64 usually had smoother, consistent graphics for all 3

The_Wild_Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#-31 The_Wild_Tiger
Member since 2006 • 1712 Posts

PS1 = 32-bit

N64 = 64-bit

So obviously the N64 has more power in the graphics department but most third party N64 games look like sh*t whereas almost all PS1 games make full use of the graphics

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-30 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

i don't see how this is even arguable. The difference between the n64 and ps1 was like n64 vs ps2. (i'm serious just look at conkers bad fur day or banjo tooie - no contest.)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-29 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

that picture of jet force gemini looks alot sharper then what the game actually is , not sure if its the picture, or just that PAL N64 consoles, don't support RGB, but on my N64, it looks much blurrier.

Darkman2007

Those are the official Rare screenshots. It does look blurrier on the real N64, but it's hard to find any decent screenshots.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-28 nameless12345

These upscaled screens show just how pixelated PS1 games actually were (last 3 are N64 games):

When it comes to graphical effects, PS1 had no chance against the N64, Expansion Pack or not.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-27 nameless12345

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

It'd be in the bottom 1/3rd, but it's definitely within the systems graphical standards.

There are both hi-res bullshots (smooth textures on the PS1? Yeah right).

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-26 nameless12345

More N64 exclusive effects:

Super Mario 64 Metal Mario aka Environment mapping (excuse the terrible video quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30IcRSxJ-X0

Wave Race 64 water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ-5hZmzWzM&feature=related

Donkey Kong 64 dynamic lighting (eats any PS1 game when it comes to lighting effects):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1iZUEjoALM

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-25 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

nameless12345

There are both hi-res bullshots (smooth textures on the PS1? Yeah right).

That's a DC game, lol

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-24 Darkman2007

the N64 does have more effects which are supported by the hardware, but it was still very blurry, even games using high resolution mode with the expansion pack still looked blurry in alot of cases.

it really comes down to which kind of graphics you like, I personally like the sharper, high res graphics with less effects that the Saturn had, rather than the smooth yet blurry graphics of the N64, which did fail in the texture deprtment, as shown by games like Quake.

the PS1 is kind of in the middle in regards to what graphics it outputs, but it also suffers from more polygon clipping and warping then the other two

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-23 Scoob64

sony fanboys crack me up.

this is a ridiculous conversation and shouldn't even be a debate... N64 is obviously more powerful and can produce better looking games... anyone who says otherwise either is too young to be familiar with the systems, or is sold out to Sony

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-22 Darkman2007

this is a ridiculous conversation and shouldn't even be a debate... N64 is obviously more powerful and can produce better looking games... anyone who says otherwise either is too young to be familiar with the systems, or is sold out to Sony

Scoob64
whats so ridiculous about it? its down to opinion , in the same way some people prefer 2D over 3D, some people prefer sharper 3D with less effects, rather then blurry 3D with lots of effects.
Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-21 Scoob64

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

Darkman2007

whats so ridiculous about it? its down to opinion , in the same way some people prefer 2D over 3D, some people prefer sharper 3D with less effects, rather then blurry 3D with lots of effects.

lol. indeed.

well, you are right on one instance- i do prefer the look of very pretty 2D over messy 3D... for example, I would choose the graphics of SF3 over SF4 any day... however, what you are doing is kinda of silly... you and I both know that Nintendo 64 has the ability to, and did produce, the best looking games of that generation.... now, if some people are absolutely appalled (for some reason beyond my understandin) at the slightest blurry texture, than perhaps they would indeed prefer the look of PSX games...

but I think we can both agree that the N64 had the best hardware and produced the most technically advanced games (including things such as anti-aliaing, Z-buffer, and texture mapping) for the time up until the dreamcast and obviously PC graphics cards...

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-20 Darkman2007

yes, I would agree the best 3D games on N64 are indeed better looking then the best PS1 and Saturn 3D games (since Shenmue Saturn was never released , though does look very good)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-19 Darkman2007

One game I think is worth showing is Nagano 98 winter olympics, wether its a good game or not, the visuals for 1998 were pretty good.

Nagano Winter Olympics '98 Picture

N64

PS1

while Nagano 98 never made it to the Saturn, sega made a similar game called Winter Heat at around the same time

http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/sat/winter_heat.jpg

since pics do not do the games justice, ive included video links for each (the N64 and Saturn vids arent the best but should be ok)

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-18 Scoob64

aye... I received a Sega Saturn on Christmas day 1997 (one of my happiest days!!!) :D

that thing was amazing...

the system could indeed produce tremendous amounts of power for the time... it definitely rivaled PSX graphics (especially VF2)

such a shame it did not have a longer lifespan... VF3 and Shenmue on the Saturn would have been EPIC!

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-17 Darkman2007

what annoys me is that there seems to be an opinion that the Saturn is a bad 3D machine, go and read any of IGN's or GS' Saturn reviews to see what I mean.

While the Saturn had its issues with special effects, it was capable of pushing more polygons then the PS1 and had less issues with polygon clipping

some good examples of decent Saturn 3D

http://www.captainwilliams.co.uk/sega/saturn/virtuafighter2/images/doa.jpg

Dead or Alive

Burning Rangers

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/07sat.jpg

and of course Shenmue (which sadly never saw the light of day on the saturn)

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-16 Scoob64

what annoys me is that there seems to be an opinion that the Saturn is a bad 3D machine, go and read any of IGN's or GS' Saturn reviews to see what I mean.

While the Saturn had its issues with special effects, it was capable of pushing more polygons then the PS1 and had less issues with polygon clipping

some good examples of decent Saturn 3D

and of course Shenmue (which sadly never saw the light of day on the saturn)

Darkman2007

aye... I couldn't agree more.. I never understood this rumor... the Saturn could produce some amazing 3D graphics with tons of polygons with amazing effects... not sure why so many say that it is only meant for 2D- that has always bothered me.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-15 Darkman2007

I think it stems from the rumor that sega originally built the Saturn to be a 2D only machine, and supposidly added 3D support in the last minute.

I personally think thats a dumb rumor , I mean , even if the 3D support was indeed added at the last minute, as long as the engineer knows what the specs of a 3D chip is , its not an issue.

also, alot of early Saturn games looked rough , due to the complex nature of the console, and while the graphics improved massively over time, the notion that the saturn is a bad 3D machine started with its launch games

it is true the Saturn has more RAM then the PS1 though (the Saturn has 4MB or RAM , but wheres the N64 has it all unified, the saturn has it divided between the video chip, CPU , Sound Chip etc, there is even RAM for the CD drive processor to work with), which helped with 2D, alot, and thats where it gets its 2D reputation from

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-14 Darkman2007

a good example of the Saturn's higher polygon count can be found in Resident Evil ,on the Saturn , the characters look better deifned and better textured.

on the PS1 though , the water and lighting effects are better

PS1 Resident Evil

Saturn Resident Evil

its true the Saturn version is a bit newer, but if the Saturn was so weak , the graphics would still have been worse (ironically if you read the GS reivew for the Saturn version , they claim the characters look better on PS1)

Judge-Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-13 Judge-Gabranth

Scoob64

I have yet to see a person who thinks that games on PS One look better than those on N64, if such person exists than he or she is clearly blind, no offense though, just saying. What I'm trying to say, what most of us are trying to say, and I think some of use were clear enough is that difference is barely there, due some elements that pushes one console above the other and vice versa.

No one's placing PS One above N64, at least not in graphics department, disscusion is going in completly diferent direction as we're trying to determine how big the gap really is, but yet you still feel obligated to call someone a Sony fanboy, you're also the one who makes N64 a new generation console compared to PS One by making the diference bigger than it already is, sir I'm afraid you might be a fanboy here, N64 has indeed better graphics, so please, easy on the word fanboy as someone has yet to say otherwise.

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-12 Scoob64

agreed..

for some reason a bad rumor followed the Saturn around- that 3D was added last minute-

first of all, I think that is absolute garbage... I think Sega intended to bring its arcade games home, and would thus need 3D architecture in its system to make that possible

also, the Saturn could do 3D at high resolutions beautifully... which only a handful of developers could pull off (most off them 1st or 2nd party)

what a shame..

the Saturn had so much potential... I would love to have seen it succeed as a console- I think it would have spelled a different future for Sega

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-11 Darkman2007

another game worth checking out is Quake, which sadly was not on PS1, but did make it to the N64 and Saturn

the first screen on the N64 version

the first screen on the Saturn.

for some reason the Saturn version has these archways, but I think you can see the pros and cons of each version .

the red on the N64 is actually the coloured lighting which is used heavily on the N64 port.

in my opinion the N64 version looks smoother , but the textures are a bit better on the Saturn.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

wr

m643

kigold

z

daf

dfad

t2

bk

bt

pw

bc

ge

ge2

Wow, people are still arguing this?

**For the record, Gran Turismo 2 was not as impressive as the original Gran Turismo, which ran at a smoother clip.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-9 magnax1

another game worth checking out is Quake, which sadly was not on PS1, but did make it to the N64 and Saturn

for some reason the Saturn version has these archways, but I think you can see the pros and cons of each version .

the red on the N64 is actually the coloured lighting which is used heavily on the N64 port.

in my opinion the N64 version looks smoother , but the textures are a bit better on the Saturn.

Darkman2007

multiplats are always a bad comparison. The Saturn and N64 were sort of close, but multiplats are rarely a good representation of the graphical gap between different consoles.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-8 nameless12345

Darkman2007

You have to understand that Quake on the N64 wasn't a very good port. It had blurry textures and reduced level architecture. The Saturn version was praised because it had excellent 3D graphics for the machine, but it didn't run on the actual Quake engine but on a custom engine (Powerslave engine). But the N64 version still managed to look closer to the 3D accelerated GLQuake on the PC. Quake 2 on the N64 was equally unimpressive when compared to the PS1 version.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-7 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

nameless12345

You have to understand that Quake on the N64 wasn't a very good port. It had blurry textures and reduced level architecture. The Saturn version was praised because it had excellent 3D graphics for the machine, but it didn't run on the actual Quake engine but on a custom engine (Powerslave engine). But the N64 version still managed to look closer to the 3D accelerated GLQuake on the PC. Quake 2 on the N64 was equally unimpressive when compared to the PS1 version.

it really doesnt matter what engine the game is using, Duke 3D on the Saturn used a similar engine, and also looks better then the PS1 and N64 versions. and we all know the Saturn was capable of more then Quake , its simply the false impression that the machine had issues with 3D

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-6 killerneub
Member since 2010 • 214 Posts

The N64 was a lot stronger than PS1.

Specs:

PS1: 33.8 Mhz 32-bit CPU, nameless GPU (effects: texture mapping, flat & gouraud shading, ect.), 2 MB main ram, 1 MB VRAM, can do 180K texture mapped and light sourced polygons per second

N64: 93.7 Mhz 64-bit CPU, 62.5 Mhz RCP (effects: everything the PS1 did + bilinear filtering, mip mapping, anti-aliasing, environment mapping, ect.), 4 MB RDRAM (expendable to 8 MB via Expansion Pak), can do 100K polygons in N64 quality in Fast3D mode and 500 to 600K polygons in PS1 quality in Turbo3D mode

nameless12345

With specs that far apart how did the PS1 look even remotely as good as the N64?

I know the N64 used cartridges and the PS1 used CD's which had something to do with it, but I assumed ...

that the games just gave the CPU the 1's and 0's to process, so IDK why that would make a difference?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#-5 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20783 Posts

very incorect 2nd poster

the ps1 has never had a game that even looked as good as goldeneye007! (a near launch n64 title)

so ya um n64 definatelly wins even its 3d games dont even look better

-as ps1 had hardly ne of those that looked clear , they were blocky and jaggy on the edges

it was in line with the gameboy advance at best!

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-4 Darkman2007

very incorect 2nd poster

the ps1 has never had a game that even looked as good as goldeneye007! (a near launch n64 title)

so ya um n64 definatelly wins even its 3d games dont even look better

-as ps1 had hardly ne of those that looked clear , they were blocky and jaggy on the edges

it was in line with the gameboy advance at best!

mariokart64fan

thats wrong, the GBA is nowhere near a PS1 , did you actually check the specs and some of the games for each?

Medal of Honour on PS1 looks about as good as Goldeneye (or at least close).

And cartridges were limiting , but it wasn't unfeasable unless a developer was planning to include a lot of FMVs and pre recorded music instead of music generated by the sound chip.

And there is no such thing as "N64 quality polygons", a polygon is a polygon , you can get different shapes for polygons (such as the Saturn using 4 sided polygons as opposed to three sided). its simply that some developers managed to get the N64 to output 500 thousand polygons using various programming methods, though I suspect they would have been without many textures or any effects.

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-3 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

N64.......duh........lol.

Lack of interpolation and texture angle correction was an unfortunate bane to the PS1, but I'd still go with the PS1 as the better system to have as far as games go. Not too sure where the Saturn stands, but it was certainly theoretically more capable than the PS1. It's only too bad that it had so many processors as to make it a pain to program for.

For those who have never seen or heard of it: The Sega Saturn Shenmue tech prototype.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-2 Darkman2007

N64.......duh........lol.

Lack of interpolation and texture angle correction was an unfortunate bane to the PS1, but I'd still go with the PS1 as the better system to have as far as games go. Not too sure where the Saturn stands, but it was certainly theoretically more capable than the PS1. It's only too bad that it had so many processors as to make it a pain to program for.

For those who have never seen or heard of it: The Sega Saturn Shenmue tech prototype.

mouthforbathory

Regarding the Saturn , I was not just that the machine was complex , it was also a lack of effort on the part of many developers, and to a certain extent, I can understand why, if a system isnt selling well, why spend alot of time on it.

I remember reading an interview with Ezra Driesbach who was the main programmer behined the Saturn ports of Quake , Exhumed and Duke Nukem 3D, he was asked why few developers got the results he did.

He said that when a system isnt selling well , and has a complex design, its easy to just do half a job, but because those were his first games, he cared. and indeed , alot of the bad looking games on the Saturn are sloppy ports from the PS1

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#-1 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Sometimes I think this may have been the best generation in gaming. I never owned a Saturn--rented it a few times--but along with the N64 and Playstation, the amount of genres on the consoles was staggering. To this day I think about picking up a Saturn because of the sidescrollers.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#0 magnax1

Saturn wasn't just difficult to program for because it had 3,000 different processors, but also because it used squares as its polygons instead of triangles. The idea was that it would cut the amount of polygons needed to make an object on PS1/N64 in half on Saturn because 2 triangles=1 square, but instead it just was a new way to program that no one really wanted to work at. Also, multiplats needed to be built from the ground up instead of ported because the console didn't use triangles, so games took lots of extra $ to port over to Saturn instead of N64.