N64 lost to PS1 because Nintendo was lazy.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] and yet, most people don't seem to mind the seaming. they seem to complain why most Saturn games don't bombard them with special effects though , ignoring resolution and other things.Darkman2007

Yeah, and when you mention that N64 had smooth textures you always get the "blurry" argument :P

Not saying that it couldn't have had better texture detail but the difference in texture detail wasn't that huge as some try to make it seem. apply some texture smoothing on PS1 games and you get similar results to N64 (perhaps even worse textures because they're initially "squary").

blurry it was , but it had its advantages, every console did.

Well PC games were quite blurry at the time too:

That perception that N64 had a blurry picture comes from the initially lower resolution and in some cases worse texture detail.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 nameless12345

Here is a comparison between the low-res Star Wars Racer and higher-res, expansion pack enhanced SW Racer on the N64:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlWYsQ6sN-E

As you can see it looks a lot clearer.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#153 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Here is a comparison between the low-res Star Wars Racer and higher-res, expansion pack enhanced SW Racer on the N64:

nameless12345
of course, though you also tend to notice (not really in this case though) , that alot of games that use the expansion pack also seem to have more slowdown when in high resolution. and PC games werent blurry as such , they were really the best of both , sharp and smooth (if youre using a voodoo card) funny enough looking at that VGA shot, it looks quite a bit like Saturn Quake.just brighter.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Darkman2007

of course, though you also tend to notice (not really in this case though) , that alot of games that use the expansion pack also seem to have more slowdown when in high resolution. and PC games werent blurry as such , they were really the best of both , sharp and smooth (if youre using a voodoo card) funny enough looking at that VGA shot, it looks quite a bit like Saturn Quake.just brighter.

Yea, Turok 2 was basically unplaylable in it's hi-res mode. Some people even overclock the N64 so they can play some games smoothly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbFxseisiSs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu1NqQL5nsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXesXdk6Atg

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Yea, Turok 2 was basically unplaylable in it's hi-res mode. Some people even overclock the N64 so they can play some games smoothly:

you would have to be careful not to overheat the CPU in this, the N64 isn't really built for overclocking like a PC.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] of course, though you also tend to notice (not really in this case though) , that alot of games that use the expansion pack also seem to have more slowdown when in high resolution. and PC games werent blurry as such , they were really the best of both , sharp and smooth (if youre using a voodoo card) funny enough looking at that VGA shot, it looks quite a bit like Saturn Quake.just brighter.Darkman2007

you would have to be careful not to overheat the CPU in this, the N64 isn't really built for overclocking like a PC.

True, it doesn't even have a cooler fan, just a heatsink.

SammaySarkar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 SammaySarkar
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Nintendo was busy fantasizing over wii u,v,w etc while developing n64..and just forgot to add a diskdrive...
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 nameless12345

Nintendo was busy fantasizing over wii u,v,w etc while developing n64..and just forgot to add a diskdrive...SammaySarkar

What? The Wii wasn't even conceptualized during the N64 time. And they had a disk drive for the 64 - 64DD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHVkSf_MnSE

It was Japan-only and a massive flop though.

SammaySarkar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 SammaySarkar
Hey hey i was just musing...The wii part. By the way, don't you think nintendo vs ps1 is really highcapacity cd's vs carts?
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Darkman2007
Hey hey i was just musing...The wii part. By the way, don't you think nintendo vs ps1 is really highcapacity cd's vs carts?SammaySarkar
yes, though there were other things. if it was just about cds, then the Saturn should have outsold the N64, but it didn't
SammaySarkar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 SammaySarkar
And to think about the disks themselves. What good is a 64mb disk? I believe nintendo was addicted to low capacity media.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Darkman2007
And to think about the disks themselves. What good is a 64mb disk? I believe nintendo was addicted to low capacity media.SammaySarkar
what discs are you talking about? normal cds were 650MB (although most games didn't even fill the whole disc). the N64DD discs were indeed 64MB, which eventually became useless since some N64 games like RE2 were 64MB anyways
SammaySarkar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 SammaySarkar
N64 will always be a winner to me,though. I practically grew up playing mario64 and pilotwings.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Darkman2007
N64 will always be a winner to me,though. I practically grew up playing mario64 and pilotwings.SammaySarkar
least favourite system for me at least out of that gen. still has quite a few great games though.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 nameless12345

It was a "platformer heaven" imo. Had some quality racers and FPSes too. But lacked in fighters and JRPGs (unless you believe the Zelda games make up for that).

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#166 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

the n64 was great for the wrestlinggames that were by far the best in it's day and still are in a way. that's the reason I really bought one

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 nameless12345

Well out of the "big three" (i.e. Saturn, PS1 and N64) N64 is easily my fave. And that's because I view the Saturn and PS1 as the "poor man's arcade machines". Just my opinion.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Darkman2007

Well out of the "big three" (i.e. Saturn, PS1 and N64) N64 is easily my fave. And that's because I view the Saturn and PS1 as the "poor man's arcade machines". Just my opinion.

nameless12345
I can see where youre coming from , but saying the Saturn or PS1 only have dumbed down arcade games is silly, in fact the majority of games on either system are not arcade games.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Darkman2007

I can see where youre coming from , but saying the Saturn or PS1 only have dumbed down arcade games is silly, in fact the majority of games on either system are not arcade games.

However, you could also play a lot of Saturn and PS1 games on the PC in superior graphics which is another reason why I like the N64 better. Namely it had more exclusives you couldn't play anywhere else (except via PC emulators which we all know aren't exactly 100% legit).

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Darkman2007

nameless12345

However, you could also play a lot of Saturn and PS1 games on the PC in superior graphics which is another reason why I like the N64 better. Namely it had more exclusives you couldn't play anywhere else (except via PC emulators which we all know aren't exactly 100% legit).

still makes no sense, most Saturn and PS1 games are not on PC. heck sometimes they were worse on PC (Virtua Cop 2 looks good on the PC......but no light gun support , FF7 is on the PC, but the music sucks)
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] I can see where youre coming from , but saying the Saturn or PS1 only have dumbed down arcade games is silly, in fact the majority of games on either system are not arcade games.Darkman2007

still makes no sense, most Saturn and PS1 games are not on PC. heck sometimes they were worse on PC (Virtua Cop 2 looks good on the PC......but no light gun support , FF7 is on the PC, but the music sucks)

Well I know the Need For Speed and Tomb Raider games are superior on the PC. And pretty much any FPS.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Darkman2007

nameless12345

Well I know the Need For Speed and Tomb Raider games are superior on the PC. And pretty much any FPS.

and what else? its not like the only games on the PS1 and Saturn are Need For Speed, Tomb Raider and Quake.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] still makes no sense, most Saturn and PS1 games are not on PC. heck sometimes they were worse on PC (Virtua Cop 2 looks good on the PC......but no light gun support , FF7 is on the PC, but the music sucks)Darkman2007

and what else? its not like the only games on the PS1 and Saturn are Need For Speed, Tomb Raider and Quake.

Well you also got Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn port but with Model 2 characters and D3D support), Daytona (D3D), FFVII and VIII (Glide, D3D), MGS (comes with VR missions I think), Pandemonium, Gex 3D, Panzer Dragoon, Sonic-R, all Resident Evils, ect. Of course some games didn't make it and some were sloppy ports but it was still more of them than N64 to PC ports (out of which only the Turok and Star Wars games come to mind).

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Darkman2007

nameless12345

Well you also got Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn port but with Model 2 characters and D3D support), Daytona (D3D), FFVII and VIII (Glide, D3D), MGS (comes with VR missions I think), Pandemonium, Gex 3D, Panzer Dragoon, Sonic-R, all Tomb Raiders, ect. Of course some games didn't make it and some were sloppy ports but it was still more of them than N64 to PC ports (out of which only the Turok and Star Wars games come to mind).

Virtua Fighter 2 on the PC certainly did not look as good as the model 2, it was closer than the Saturn , but not model 2. MGS looked quite strange on the PC due to the high resolution being used with the low res polygon models and textures. FF7 on the PC has rubbish sound , and requires mods to do run the original music. Sonic R is not better on the PC, it has a better draw distance, but lacks some of the effects on the Saturn version , also it controls badly, worse than the Saturn version (and this includes the GC and PS2 ports of the PC version) so you got some games, but thats not exactly the whole library of either console, nowhere near. but in mentionning , games like VF, youre essentially saying "if Mario 64 was on the PC , there would be no reason to get an N64" also most computers at the time were not capable of running the better ports.
Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Pegalamp
Member since 2011 • 600 Posts
[QUOTE="Pegalamp"]Not a fan rant or anything but I have looked through and through and have found no reason that the N64 did not win or at least be as powerful as it should have been. Obviously Nintendo was lazy. It has poor 3D rendering in a lot of the games on the system, lacked cutscenes, could have had a more have handled sound a lot better than it did and the fact they only spend so much on certain games and even some of those games they were lazy. Basically in simple terms. -It could have had better detail on objects such as wall but they did not do it, -While passable in some games, the N64 could have easily had better sound and music then what was given. -Just because the they use carts does not mean they can't do cutscenes that don't involve the engine. -The character models could have been smoother and slightly more detailed but they did not do it. Movement of objects could be more animated than some games like Banjo did, especially when you saw the creature walk over to the queen, what was that? 3 frames per second?! -The system could have handled more things going on in the screen at once (Some games needed it to heck to fill those empty large spaces.) but Nintendo didn't do it. -etc. Nintendo is lazy. The only other possible excuse is that they randomly though their system was just a suped up Super Nintendo and had similar limits or they had no idea what the N64 could do and went in blind. But so far it seems they are lazy. gary3dsfan
If Nintendo would of made the n64 just slightly better in graphics and had cutscenes we just might of had Final fantasy 7 on it. They cancelled the game on n64 to ps1 because of this reason.

No the N64 could do cutscenes, the whole carts can't do cutscens is a complete and total lie. Heck, if the Saturn kept its current specs and used Carts slightly more powerful then SNKs it would have been more powerful then the N64 in most areas. Final Fantasy 7 on N64's only problem would be the game would be blocky and Nintedo CLAIMING the game can not do any sort of cutscene at all because of Carts even Cgi, the in-engine cutscenes would also be blocky (and have characters move 2 frames per 4 seconds like Banjo.)
Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Pegalamp

and what else? its not like the only games on the PS1 and Saturn are Need For Speed, Tomb Raider and Quake.Darkman2007

Well you also got Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn port but with Model 2 characters and D3D support), Daytona (D3D), FFVII and VIII (Glide, D3D), MGS (comes with VR missions I think), Pandemonium, Gex 3D, Panzer Dragoon, Sonic-R, all Tomb Raiders, ect. Of course some games didn't make it and some were sloppy ports but it was still more of them than N64 to PC ports (out of which only the Turok and Star Wars games come to mind).

Virtua Fighter 2 on the PC certainly did not look as good as the model 2, it was closer than the Saturn , but not model 2. MGS looked quite strange on the PC due to the high resolution being used with the low res polygon models and textures. FF7 on the PC has rubbish sound , and requires mods to do run the original music. Sonic R is not better on the PC, it has a better draw distance, but lacks some of the effects on the Saturn version , also it controls badly, worse than the Saturn version (and this includes the GC and PS2 ports of the PC version) so you got some games, but thats not exactly the whole library of either console, nowhere near. but in mentionning , games like VF, youre essentially saying "if Mario 64 was on the PC , there would be no reason to get an N64" also most computers at the time were not capable of running the better ports.

Gex enter the gecko was not better on PC you have got to be out your mind of all the crap that's wrong with it.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="gary3dsfan"][QUOTE="Pegalamp"]Not a fan rant or anything but I have looked through and through and have found no reason that the N64 did not win or at least be as powerful as it should have been. Obviously Nintendo was lazy. It has poor 3D rendering in a lot of the games on the system, lacked cutscenes, could have had a more have handled sound a lot better than it did and the fact they only spend so much on certain games and even some of those games they were lazy. Basically in simple terms. -It could have had better detail on objects such as wall but they did not do it, -While passable in some games, the N64 could have easily had better sound and music then what was given. -Just because the they use carts does not mean they can't do cutscenes that don't involve the engine. -The character models could have been smoother and slightly more detailed but they did not do it. Movement of objects could be more animated than some games like Banjo did, especially when you saw the creature walk over to the queen, what was that? 3 frames per second?! -The system could have handled more things going on in the screen at once (Some games needed it to heck to fill those empty large spaces.) but Nintendo didn't do it. -etc. Nintendo is lazy. The only other possible excuse is that they randomly though their system was just a suped up Super Nintendo and had similar limits or they had no idea what the N64 could do and went in blind. But so far it seems they are lazy. Pegalamp
If Nintendo would of made the n64 just slightly better in graphics and had cutscenes we just might of had Final fantasy 7 on it. They cancelled the game on n64 to ps1 because of this reason.

No the N64 could do cutscenes, the whole carts can't do cutscens is a complete and total lie. Heck, if the Saturn kept its current specs and used Carts slightly more powerful then SNKs it would have been more powerful then the N64 in most areas. Final Fantasy 7 on N64's only problem would be the game would be blocky and Nintedo CLAIMING the game can not do any sort of cutscene at all because of Carts even Cgi, the in-engine cutscenes would also be blocky (and have characters move 2 frames per 4 seconds like Banjo.)

what the heck are you talking about? what the heck is a "slightly more powerful cart"?

the Saturn does not need a cartirdge format because it uses a higher capacity CD , and it had cartridges for any memory expansion that was needed,

and yes, FMVs were an issue, the N64 is perfectly capable of them , but since most N64 games were less than 32MB , with only a few being 64MB, FMV of any decent length would simply have issue fitting without massive compression like in RE2.

Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Pegalamp

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"][QUOTE="gary3dsfan"] If Nintendo would of made the n64 just slightly better in graphics and had cutscenes we just might of had Final fantasy 7 on it. They cancelled the game on n64 to ps1 because of this reason.Darkman2007

what the heck are you talking about? what the heck is a "slightly more powerful cart"?

the Saturn does not need a cartirdge format because it uses a higher capacity CD , and it had cartridges for any memory expansion that was needed,

and yes, FMVs were an issue, the N64 is perfectly capable of them , but since most N64 games were less than 32MB , with only a few being 64MB, FMV of any decent length would simply have issue fitting without massive compression like in RE2.

Your First Point: You didn't read the whole arguement when I was mentioning the saturn. Your Second Point: So did the Neo-Geo but at least they didn't lie and say it wasn't possible. I am also sure that there is more space in an N64 cart then a Neo-Geo cart but I'll have to double check that.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"] No the N64 could do cutscenes, the whole carts can't do cutscens is a complete and total lie. Heck, if the Saturn kept its current specs and used Carts slightly more powerful then SNKs it would have been more powerful then the N64 in most areas. Final Fantasy 7 on N64's only problem would be the game would be blocky and Nintedo CLAIMING the game can not do any sort of cutscene at all because of Carts even Cgi, the in-engine cutscenes would also be blocky (and have characters move 2 frames per 4 seconds like Banjo.)Pegalamp

Your First Point: You didn't read the whole arguement when I was mentioning the saturn. Your Second Point: So did the Neo-Geo but at least they didn't lie and say it wasn't possible. I am also sure that there is more space in an N64 cart then a Neo-Geo cart but I'll have to double check that.

the Neo Geo is quite capable of playing FMVs, but again , there is simply not enough space. and no , N64 games are quite similar in size to Neo Geo games, the biggest Neo Geo game ive seen was 64MB , as was an N64 game. and Nintendo never actually said they can't "do cutscenes", but most developers simply could not put in any serious amount of FMV content into a cartridge.
Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Pegalamp
No they CLEARLY said they couldn't do it, It was mentioned on magazines back then and I remember reading about a Nintendo Executive saying the same thing. As for the Neo-Geo, the biggest size I have senn is 346MB. So unless Nintedo is using Weaker hardware... Oh and the Neo-Geo did have games run FMVS.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Pegalamp"]No they CLEARLY said they couldn't do it, It was mentioned on magazines back then and I remember reading about a Nintendo Executive saying the same thing. As for the Neo-Geo, the biggest size I have senn is 346MB. So unless Nintedo is using Weaker hardware... Oh and the Neo-Geo did have games run FMVS.

ive got a feeling thats not 346 Megabytes, but Megabits, which is different. 1 Megabyte = 1 Megabit. and the idea that the Neo Geo has weaker hardware than the N64 (or PS1 and Saturn for that matter) is ludicrous.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Darkman2007

and what the heck does an executive know about the hardware? youre refering to some pretty shoddy source.

Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Pegalamp
[QUOTE="Pegalamp"]No they CLEARLY said they couldn't do it, It was mentioned on magazines back then and I remember reading about a Nintendo Executive saying the same thing. As for the Neo-Geo, the biggest size I have senn is 346MB. So unless Nintedo is using Weaker hardware... Oh and the Neo-Geo did have games run FMVS.Darkman2007
ive got a feeling thats not 346 Megabytes, but Megabits, which is different. 1 Megabyte = 1 Megabit. and the idea that the Neo Geo has weaker hardware than the N64 (or PS1 and Saturn for that matter) is ludicrous.

oops I meant 120 MB. Looked at the wrong number on the back Are you saying YES THE N64 is technically weaker than Neo-Geo or are you saying that the N64 Hardware is stronger than the Neo-Geo because based off the last few posts I can't tell. Because if the first you proved my point slightly.
Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Pegalamp
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

and what the heck does an executive know about the hardware? youre refering to some pretty shoddy source.

And people listen to Shoody sources that come from within Nintendo. So regardless of whther it is BS Nintendo played off it and said nothing to counter what the Nintendo Exec. said. Even funnier that it wasn't from Nintendo Japan either, but you do realize when you talk about the N64 Vs. PS1 with a person who prefers the N64 he WILL MOST LIKELY say that the system couldn't do it AT ALL?
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#185 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

No they CLEARLY said they couldn't do it, It was mentioned on magazines back then and I remember reading about a Nintendo Executive saying the same thing. As for the Neo-Geo, the biggest size I have senn is 346MB. So unless Nintedo is using Weaker hardware... Oh and the Neo-Geo did have games run FMVS.Pegalamp

If they CLEARLY couldn't do it, what happened with resident evil 2?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Pegalamp"]No they CLEARLY said they couldn't do it, It was mentioned on magazines back then and I remember reading about a Nintendo Executive saying the same thing. As for the Neo-Geo, the biggest size I have senn is 346MB. So unless Nintedo is using Weaker hardware... Oh and the Neo-Geo did have games run FMVS.Pegalamp

oops I meant 120 MB. Looked at the wrong number on the back somehow Are you saying YES THE N64 is technically weaker than Neo-Geo or are you saying that the N64 Hardware is stronger than the Neo-Geo because based off the last few posts I can't tell. Because if the first you proved my point slightly.

doubt its 120MB, though I guess its possible (actually you might be right on 120MB)

and Im saying the N64 is more capable in most ways, the Neo Geo does have a very efficient sprite engine as well as very fast access to the animations in ROM (meaning it needed alot less memory)

at the same time, for 3D , the Neo Geo was quite pathetic (it wasn't attempted much for a reason).

the reason why alot of Neo Geo ports to the PS1 or Saturn were either not perfect or needed a RAM cartridge was due to the fact there was not enough RAM to load all the animations at once (the Neo Geo did not need that)

if youre to compare outright specs though , the Neo Geo is frankly outmatched quite a bit by the PS1 and Saturn.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Pegalamp"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

And people listen to Shoody sources that come from within Nintendo. So regardless of whther it is BS Nintendo played off it and said nothing to counter what the Nintendo Exec. said. Even funnier that it wasn't from Nintendo Japan either, but you do realize when you talk about the N64 Vs. PS1 with a person who prefers the N64 he WILL MOST LIKELY say that the system couldn't do it AT ALL?

thats called misinformation and ingorance on the part of consumers. no different than the "Saturn can't do 3D" claim Ive heard countless times.
Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Pegalamp

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"] ive got a feeling thats not 346 Megabytes, but Megabits, which is different. 1 Megabyte = 1 Megabit. and the idea that the Neo Geo has weaker hardware than the N64 (or PS1 and Saturn for that matter) is ludicrous.Darkman2007

oops I meant 120 MB. Looked at the wrong number on the back somehow Are you saying YES THE N64 is technically weaker than Neo-Geo or are you saying that the N64 Hardware is stronger than the Neo-Geo because based off the last few posts I can't tell. Because if the first you proved my point slightly.

doubt its 120MB, though I guess its possible (actually you might be right on 120MB)

and Im saying the N64 is more capable in most ways, the Neo Geo does have a very efficient sprite engine as well as very fast access to the animations in ROM (meaning it needed alot less memory)

at the same time, for 3D , the Neo Geo was quite pathetic (it wasn't attempted much for a reason).

the reason why alot of Neo Geo ports to the PS1 or Saturn were either not perfect or needed a RAM cartridge was due to the fact there was not enough RAM to load all the animations at once (the Neo Geo did not need that)

if youre to compare outright specs though , the Neo Geo is frankly outmatched quite a bit by the PS1 and Saturn.

The CD did built on that though, but still, as I said, as powerful as it was, (it did 3d decently in a few games actually but not full 8 direction 3D.) The N64 could have done what they said they could have done and really cut corners on some areas. It could have been better, not saying the N64 was bad but still.
Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Pegalamp
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Pegalamp"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

thats called misinformation and ingorance on the part of consumers. no different than the "Saturn can't do 3D" claim Ive heard countless times.

I thought it was, "Most Saturn Games are cheap cash-ins/Trash" or "Saturn is to weak to compete." or, the favorite of mine, "Saturn is a Genesis that tries to act .like a playstation." Each of which had a TV advertisement back then. May have contributed to the lack of sales. I have many saturn games and there are plenty of good games on it. Oanzer Dragoon was cool for example.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 nameless12345

[QUOTE="gary3dsfan"][QUOTE="Pegalamp"]Not a fan rant or anything but I have looked through and through and have found no reason that the N64 did not win or at least be as powerful as it should have been. Obviously Nintendo was lazy. It has poor 3D rendering in a lot of the games on the system, lacked cutscenes, could have had a more have handled sound a lot better than it did and the fact they only spend so much on certain games and even some of those games they were lazy. Basically in simple terms. -It could have had better detail on objects such as wall but they did not do it, -While passable in some games, the N64 could have easily had better sound and music then what was given. -Just because the they use carts does not mean they can't do cutscenes that don't involve the engine. -The character models could have been smoother and slightly more detailed but they did not do it. Movement of objects could be more animated than some games like Banjo did, especially when you saw the creature walk over to the queen, what was that? 3 frames per second?! -The system could have handled more things going on in the screen at once (Some games needed it to heck to fill those empty large spaces.) but Nintendo didn't do it. -etc. Nintendo is lazy. The only other possible excuse is that they randomly though their system was just a suped up Super Nintendo and had similar limits or they had no idea what the N64 could do and went in blind. But so far it seems they are lazy. Pegalamp

Why do you think it would be blockier on N64 than PS1? On the PS1 is was one heck of a blocky. Here is a FFVII compared to Ocarina:

Not only the characters look worse, it's also got static, pre-rendered backgrounds opposed to fully 3D places in Ocarina.

Yeah, the N64 had a lower poly count in the Fast3D mode than PS1 did, but that doesn't really mean much when you use custom microcodes.

And I don't understand why you think Banjo looked bad. It was one of the best-looking N64 games in it's time.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"] oops I meant 120 MB. Looked at the wrong number on the back somehow Are you saying YES THE N64 is technically weaker than Neo-Geo or are you saying that the N64 Hardware is stronger than the Neo-Geo because based off the last few posts I can't tell. Because if the first you proved my point slightly.Pegalamp

The CD did built on that though, but still, as I said, as powerful as it was, (it did 3d decently in a few games actually but not full 8 direction 3D.) The N64 could have done what they said they could have done and really cut corners on some areas. It could have been better, not saying the N64 was bad but still.

no hardware in the 5th gen was perfect, each of them had its own problems and shortcomings, thats is indeed the truth. the N64 is certainly capable of doing FMVs, and has the processing capability to decompress them in software too (the Saturn could as well) , but the cartridge format limited it, heck some carts on the N64 were 8MB, which is tiny for any sort of FMV without some massive compression (and even then , 8MB is not enough , only a 32MB or more would be enough) and the N64 did 3D quite well actually.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Pegalamp"] And people listen to Shoody sources that come from within Nintendo. So regardless of whther it is BS Nintendo played off it and said nothing to counter what the Nintendo Exec. said. Even funnier that it wasn't from Nintendo Japan either, but you do realize when you talk about the N64 Vs. PS1 with a person who prefers the N64 he WILL MOST LIKELY say that the system couldn't do it AT ALL?Pegalamp

I thought it was, "Most Saturn Games are cheap cash-ins/Trash" or "Saturn is to weak to compete." or, the favorite of mine, "Saturn is a Genesis that tries to act .like a playstation." Each of which had a TV advertisement back then. May have contributed to the lack of sales. I have many saturn games and there are plenty of good games on it. Oanzer Dragoon was cool for example.

yes it gets most of these claims from silly uninformed people and gaming magazines with a bias.

I own over 80 Saturn games I know what its capable of and what is impressive on that system (not the "VF2 is the best looking game on the Saturn" claim thats completely bogus)

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"][QUOTE="gary3dsfan"] If Nintendo would of made the n64 just slightly better in graphics and had cutscenes we just might of had Final fantasy 7 on it. They cancelled the game on n64 to ps1 because of this reason.nameless12345

Why do you think it would be blockier on N64 than PS1? On the PS1 is was one heck of a blocky. Here is a FFVII compared to Ocarina:

Not only the characters look worse, it's also got static, pre-rendered backgrounds opposed to fully 3D places in Ocarina.

Yeah, the N64 had a lower poly count in the Fast3D mode than PS1 did, but that doesn't really mean much when you use custom microcodes.

And I don't understand why you think Banjo looked bad. It was one of the best-looking N64 games in it's time.

What a biased comparison. FFVII is known for its terrible character models.

Here, let's look at a game that's fully 3D:

(It's hard to find large screens of Vagrant Story).

And as for what the PS1 was capable of WITH prerendered backgrounds ...

Again, hard to find good screens of PE2. But the character models in the game are easily better than those in Ocarina or Majora's Mask. It is true that using prerendered backgrounds probably contributed to that.

But really, the difference in the capabilities of the hardware is exaggerated. People will tell you that it's "twice as powerful as PS1," but really, the only systems that appear "twice" as good are the ones in the following generation.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"] No the N64 could do cutscenes, the whole carts can't do cutscens is a complete and total lie. Heck, if the Saturn kept its current specs and used Carts slightly more powerful then SNKs it would have been more powerful then the N64 in most areas. Final Fantasy 7 on N64's only problem would be the game would be blocky and Nintedo CLAIMING the game can not do any sort of cutscene at all because of Carts even Cgi, the in-engine cutscenes would also be blocky (and have characters move 2 frames per 4 seconds like Banjo.)hakanakumono

What a biased comparison. FFVII is known for its terrible character models.

Here, let's look at a game that's fully 3D:

(It's hard to find large screens of Vagrant Story).

And as for what the PS1 was capable of WITH prerendered backgrounds ...

Again, hard to find good screens of PE2. But the character models in the game are easily better than those in Ocarina or Majora's Mask. It is true that using prerendered backgrounds probably contributed to that.

But really, the difference in the capabilities of the hardware is exaggerated. People will tell you that it's "twice as powerful as PS1," but really, the only systems that appear "twice" as good are the ones in the following generation.

in terms of polygon capability , the DC is about 15 times the capability of the PS1 and Saturn, and those 2 couldn't do the effects the DC could.

as for the visuals of the N64 and PS1, both had their advantages and disadvantages over the other, same goes for the Saturn.

the 3DO in case youre wondering , looks alot like somewhere between the sty-le of the PS1 and Saturn , but worse than both.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 hakanakumono

I think the main strength of the N64 is really the overall smoothness of the picture (resolution?)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Darkman2007

I think the main strength of the N64 is really the overall smoothness of the picture (resolution?)

hakanakumono
actually the Saturn had the highest possible resolution (704X480) , while the PS1 and N64 and 3DO could do 640X480. the N64 applied alot of filtering to the textures, as well as some anti aliasing to make things smooth looking, that was why things looked smooth. but the N64 had its share of issues.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 hakanakumono

Sometimes the "smoothness" of the textures makes the games look blurry though, imo.

N64 had some pretty cool effects though. In a probably lesser known game Beetle Adventure Racing for N64, you could see the reflections of trees etc on the tops of the cars. And the water was amazing.

I need to get around to buying NiGHTs.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Darkman2007

Sometimes the "smoothness" of the textures makes the games look blurry though, imo.

N64 had some pretty cool effects though. In a probably lesser known game Beetle Adventure Racing for N64, you could see the reflections of trees etc on the tops of the cars. And the water was amazing.

I need to get around to buying NiGHTs.

hakanakumono

thats partially due to the low res textures often used, as well as the filtering being overdone by some developers.

actually the reflection effects were also possible on the other systems to a lesser extent.

for instance on the Saturn it was done using the VDP2 to replicate the sprites and backgrounds onto VDP2 floors and backgrounds

this was done in Sonic R

this effect was actually missing from the PC/PS2/GC versions

(from the PS2)

and in Winter Heat

Ive also seen it used in Mass Destruction and a few others, though like alot of things in the system , not many devs bothered.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 hakanakumono

Some of the effects on the saturn give me the impression of using the 2D engine though. I still think Banjo Kazooie had the best water I had ever seen in that gen. Keep in mind the amount of N64 games I actually played was fairly limited.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Darkman2007

Some of the effects on the saturn give me the impression of using the 2D engine though. I still think Banjo Kazooie had the best water I had ever seen in that gen. Keep in mind the amount of N64 games I actually played was fairly limited.

hakanakumono

well yes it is a 2D engine, as the floors are 2D, but the wave (at least somewhat), so its not exactly flat.

the N64 was best with effects though no doubt about that, and you didn't need to get the effects through some roundabout way like you had to on the Saturn.

VDP2 is still very important though , and potentially a source of alot of potential.