My Top 10 Favorite Games

Posted by sithkid135 (92 posts) -

With 2014 over, it's time for me to update my list of top 10 favorite games. This is my personal favorites and will likely be different than your lists. These are the games that have stuck with me over the years. I still play them even after so many years. The order of these games is based on both the experience I had when I first played them and how they have held up over the years. For this list, I only picked one game from each series. For example, I love the Assassin's Creed games, but I can only put my favorite game from that series on my list. This year, two new games have joined my exclusive list. My list starts from #10 and moves down to #1 for my favorite games. Warning, there may be some spoilers.

10) Call of Duty: Black Ops. I know what you're thinking. Why is Call of Duty on your list? It's on my list because I have invested more hours into this game than any other. Hundreds of hours invested, and that's only for zombies. Yes, I love zombies mode. It's fun. I have fond gaming memories of playing zombies with a group of friends surviving the horde together. It was fantastic. I still play it with friends. The multiplayer is great to, but it's nothing really special. The campaign really stuck with me. It is still my favorite Call of Duty campaign. But it is zombies mode that really put this game on my list. I'm sure you disagree, but this is just my opinion. It's only number 10, there are 9 other games that I enjoy much more.

9) Batman: Arkham City. It's Batman! I love Batman. Always have and always will. The gameplay is fantastic: the combat flows, the navigation is smooth, and the stealth is challenging. This game is great through and through and it all takes place in a atmospheric open world. The boss fights are a real stand out in this game, but really every part of this game is fun. I had a blast playing it and still do.

8) The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. This is the only Witcher game I played since the first was not released on consoles, and it is fantastic. The combat is challenging and tactical, the questing is excellent, the world is immersive, and the non-linear story is top-notch. It is a very thought out game that excels at everything it seeks to accomplish. On top of that, the decisions you make throughout drastically change the game. The different results of your decisions are so different, it's like there are two different games with two different stories in it based on your decision. That provides so much replay value.

7) Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. A new edition to my list, Shadow of Mordor redefines the open world genre by fundamentally changing everything with the new addition of the nemesis system. It changes how you approach everything. It makes the game frustrating and difficult in the best kind of way. It's brilliant. Surrounding all of that is a solid game with excellent combat, stealth, and exploration. There is so much replay value as you create your own stories. I have had so many conversations about this game with my friends. We each have different stories to tell about it, and it's fantastic. Shadow of Mordor is truly the first next-gen game and will no doubt inspire developers to adopt this revolutionary system. I can't wait for a sequel.

6) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Assassin's Creed is one of my favorite video game series. I love traveling back in time and exploring these different historical cities and experience history unfold even if it is changed to fit the overarching narrative. Brotherhood is still my favorite of the series. Although ACII was an excellent game and is arguably the best, I have invested more hours in Brotherhood than any other AC game. Rome is a beautiful city and there is so much to do in it. This was the first game I played where I wanted to complete absolutely everything. Every side mission, every building purchased, every flag and feather found, every puzzle solved, and so on. I loved it. The story wasn't the best, but I greatly enjoyed having a strong focus on the Borgia family. They make great villains. I still remember how my jaw hit the floor with the game's ending. I was speechless. Along with all of that, there was the great multiplayer. Back then, it was new, fun, and unique. I enjoyed it so much. This was before it got tiresome with the sequels. That is why Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was my 2010 Game of the Year.

Alright, the top 5 are the heavy hitters. These are the games I have never gotten tired of playing. These are the games that hold a special place in my gaming heart.

5) BioShock Infinite. Wow. This game is amazing. Easily the best story in a video game I have ever experienced. I thought about this game for months after completing it. It was that good. I still think about it sometimes. I am really lost for words when I try to describe what makes it special because everything about it is special. I love this game. It is the best first-person shooter game I have ever experienced. That is why BioShock Infinite was my 2013 Game of the Year.

4) Dragon Age: Inquisition. There is so much this game does right. Great characters, great world, great story, great graphics, great gameplay, great questing, and so on. I love everything about this game. I spent over a hundred hours just in my first play-through. Making decisions has meaning and consequences. There were so many times where I simply didn't want to choose because it was such a difficult decision. I completely explored ever region and completed every quest, and I'm still ready for more. It was with a heavy heart that I choose this game over Dragon Age Origins, but Inquisition really earned its place on my list. Many fans may disagree, but I love this game nonetheless. That is why Dragon Age: Inquisition was my 2014 Game of the Year.

3) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. This game is truly fantastic. You can easily spend hundreds of hours into it without even realizing it. You can play an all nighter and not even realize that you forgot to sleep. It's not the game's size that makes it great, but it's the fact that the world is filled with so many wonderful, memorable things to do. I still have gotten nowhere close to completing all the quests. It's that big. You will forget about the real world when you play this game. That is why The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was my 2011 Game of the Year.

2) Mass Effect 3. This game is the definition of epic. Although many fans hated this game simply because of the game's ending, I still loved the incredibly emotional and epic journey that led up to the game's less than desirable conclusion. Never have I been so emotionally invested in a game's story. I cared for every single character. When certain characters die or don't die, it hit me really hard. I really felt the weight of the galaxy as I tried to fight an impossible war. Along with the epic story, the combat is extremely fun and the questing is still excellent. This is one of the few games that I have completed 100%. Every mission, side mission, and every collectible. The entire year of 2012, I thought about how epic this game is. That is why Mass Effect 3 was my 2012 Game of the Year.

1) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. This game holds a special place in my heart. I remember first playing it when I was 11 years old. It seriously took me 2 years to complete it. I wish I was exaggerating. This game doesn't hold your hand and flash lights in the direction you are suppose to go. It is true exploration. It felt so real as a result. I love everything about it. It was the first game where I got to make decisions about being good or evil. I remember the first time I decided to go evil and mugged an old man. I felt so guilty. I couldn't believe that I actually did that. It was truly something special. Sure, it's like bread on butter nowadays with RPGs, but back then it was really special. On top of that, the story was excellent. I still remember my reaction to the big reveal in the game. SPOILER. I was shocked for well over a week when it was revealed that I was Darth Revan. I was speechless. SPOILER OVER. I could probably write a book about how much I love this game. I remember taking a break from it after completing it. When I broke my shoulder several years later and was forced to rest, I cracked open this game and played it on my Xbox. It was still a great game. I still play it at least once every year. This is the game that has stood the test for time. Why this game is number one instead of the other BioWare games on the list is because KOTOR preceded all of them. It was the first BioWare game I played, and it was the best. That is why Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is my favorite game of all time.

I hope you have enjoyed my list. If you haven't played any of the games on my list, particularly the top 5, I highly recommend them. They are great solid games and are worth at least a try. What are your top 10 favorite games? Remember, you can only choose one game from each series. That provides more variety in your list. Where there any games that came out this year that made your top 10 list?

#1 Posted by mastermetal777 (3236 posts) -

Good list. I don't have any game from 2014 that cracked my top 10, but I'll list my top 10 here.

10) Dark Souls

9) Red Dead Redemption

8) Dragon Age: Origins

7) Heavy Rain

6) BioShock/BioShock Infinite

5) Chrono Trigger

4) Metroid Prime

3) Shadow of the Colossus

2) Xenogears

1) The Last of Us

#2 Posted by Nick_St88 (25 posts) -

I can't say what game is best or not! I am playing pc games from 1999 and there are many games which were good titles! I have played over 150-160 titles but i think every game has its own advantages and disadvantages. Ok if you told me to choose i'll surely speak of Far Cry 3 , Assassin's Creed series and Hitman series (best was absolution)! But anyway, i like your list! Black Ops was one my favourite too and, maybe you'll laught, Black Ops 2 too!

#3 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (19273 posts) -

@sithkid135: Interesting to see KOTOR being your fav game... I remember playing it when it first came out (Xbox wasn't very popular here in Aus at the time either) and I absolutely loved it. Definitely one of my favs too.

As for my top 10, something like this:

1. Bioshock

2. Half-Life 2

3. Super Mario Odyssey

3. Mass Effect Trilogy

5. Inside

6. Portal 2

7. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

8. Witcher 3

9. Halo: Combat Evolved

10. Super Mario Sunshine

Honourable mentions: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Red Dead Redemption 2, Nier Automata, Bayonetta 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, GTA: San Andreas

**Updated to 2019 :) **

#4 Posted by sithkid135 (92 posts) -

@nick_st88: I enjoyed Black Ops II as well! However, I was disappointed with the zombies in that game. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first game. It's still a great game though. I think it's a shame when people hate a call of duty game without even giving it a chance. I'm not saying they're all great, but there are some fun ones such as Black Ops

#5 Edited by Nick_St88 (25 posts) -

@sithkid135: I haven't an opinion for zombie mode because i am more a single player not coop or multi! So i can tell only for scenario... and for me it was great... i mean yeah maybe the gameplay, the graphics etc. were like the other COD titles but i am giving gravitas on scenario and as i said it was really good!

#6 Edited by Cloud_imperium (14961 posts) -

1. Mass Effect 2

2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of kings

3. Dragon Age: Origins

4. Starcraft 2: Wings of liberty

5. Max Payne 2

6. Thief: The dark project

7. Freelancer

8. Alan Wake

9. Company of Heroes

10. 007: Nightfire

#7 Posted by CTR360 (8721 posts) -

10 skyrim 9 ni no kuni 8 uncharted 2 7mass effect 2 6 xenoblade 5 MGS4 4 darks souls 3 RDR&HALO4 2 gtav&shenmue 1 last of us&resident evil code veronica

#8 Posted by Ballroompirate (26014 posts) -

Pretty decent list TC, some questionable games but hey who doesn't have those in their list :P

Mine would be something like

10. Outcast

9. Wasteland 2

8. Hotline Miami

7. GTAV

6. LoZ Majoras Mask

5. Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne

4. MGS3

3. Mass Effect 1

2. Skyrim

1. TLOU

#9 Edited by Jag85 (13637 posts) -

My top 10 favourite games of all time would probably be:

Ninja Gaiden

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Streets of Rage 2

Secret of Mana

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Final Fantasy VII

Metal Gear Solid 2

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Clannad

Resident Evil 4

#10 Posted by quatoe (7239 posts) -

10. GTA San Andreas

9. Mass Effect 3

8. LoZ: The Windwaker

7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

6. Resident Evil 4

5. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

4. GTA V

3. LoZ: Twilight Princess

2. Gears of War 3

1. LoZ: Ocarina of Time

#11 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20679 posts) -

To get on my list, a game needs to have made a serious impact on my tastes, have (or had) an incredible amount of lasting appeal, and have given me plenty of good memories. So yeah, it'd be hard for a game that came out in this type of year to crack my top 25, let alone the top 10.

1. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)
  2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Genesis)
  3. Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (PC)
  4. X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter (PC)
  5. Pokemon R/B/Y (GB)
  6. Halo CE (Xbox)
  7. Mega Man X (SNES)
  8. NiGHTS into Dreams (Saturn)
  9. Gunstar Heroes (Genesis)
  10. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)
  11. MUSHA (Genesis)
  12. Ocarina of Time (N64)
  13. Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
  14. Age of Mythology (PC)
  15. Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition (Genesis)
  16. Super Smash Bros. (N64)
  17. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
  18. Rogue Squadron (N64)
  19. KOTOR (Xbox)
  20. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
  21. Rebel Assault II (PC)
  22. Soul Calibur II (GCN)
  23. Virtua Fighter Remix (Saturn)
  24. WWF: No Mercy (N64)
  25. NFL 2K (DC)
#12 Posted by istreakforfood (7781 posts) -

I only included one per franchise and it isn't in any particular order.

1. Ninja Gaiden Black
  2. Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost (Vanilla had mission mode was better in quality and quantity, but I prefer the larger roster and character balance for online vs)
  3. Halo 2
  4. Xenogears (one of the best jrpg games that I've played. WIsh there were more games that weren't black and white and revolved around flaws of human nature)
  5. Left 4 Dead 2
  6. Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition
  7. Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne
  8. Team Fortress 2
  9. Tales of Vesperia
  10. Persona 4
#13 Posted by heguain (1416 posts) -

The Witcher 2
Mass Effect 2
DA Origins
SC2
Maybe KOTOR
DXHR
DOS
AC2
RE4
POPWW

#14 Posted by Krzystof (37 posts) -

1. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

2. Skyrim

3. God of War trilogy

4. Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

5. Knights of the Temple: Infernal Crusade

6. Super Castlevania 4

7. Donkey Kong Country trilogy

8. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow duology

9. Assassin's Creed: Ezio trilogy (but I adore almost all the games in the series)

10. Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of Future

11. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

#15 Posted by Amangarg (5 posts) -

You should also check the most challenging and addictive game of 2018.

Tricky Road game is an exception.

It stands out in terms of hardness.The scary road breaks and the sudden fall of asteroids from sky just can not be missed.

Try the game now : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AmanGarg.TrickyRoad

#16 Posted by Glitch- (287 posts) -

Thats a pretty ok list, but it seems like its missing a lot of good games that should be on there.

#18 Posted by Stultz1235 (10 posts) -

My top favorites:

Kingdom Hearts 3

Mario

Apknite's BitLife

Fortnite

Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

#20 Posted by RSM-HQ (8606 posts) -

#21 Posted by Enragedhydra (1085 posts) -

#22 Posted by stjimmy1017 (23 posts) -

@sithkid135: My top 10 list would be:

1. Need For Speed Most Wanted
  2. Call of Duty 2
  3. FIFA 14
  4. Call of Duty Modern Warfare
  5. Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (2010)
  6. Call of Duty Black Ops
  7. Call of Duty
  8. Tomb Raider
  9. Burnout Paradise
  10. FIFA 18

#23 Posted by WoodyParker (16 posts) -

1. Dark Soul 3

2. Division 2

3. Call of Duty Series

4. Bloodborne

#24 Posted by Raining51 (1145 posts) -

SEems like a fairly diverse list you have there...

Ok and not sr as sarcasm I guess people read negativity into anything.

#25 Edited by AMOKEnter (6 posts) -

1. DIablo 2

2. Witcher 3

3. PoE

#27 Posted by DoomNukem3D (396 posts) -

Took me a minute to notice how old this thread was lol.