Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 9

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2343 Posts

Playing the DS port.

I’m roughly a little more than 6 hours into the game.

Basically at the part where you obtain magic and are able to go through different gates...plus, having the option to take on Lavos. Which I did, but got defeated and spoiled some of the future boss fights for myself. (Last boss I fought was in Medina Village, then took on Lavos back at the various gates because I got confused on what to do.)

So far, the game just feels like a typical “good” JRPG to me. I don’t find it particularly great, but I don’t think it’s bad either. I guess you could say I’m bored with it to be totally honest.

It’s a shame because I’ve always loved JRPG’s but, I don’t know if this game is for me. I can appreciate it in my own way, but I personally feel as if I’ve played games in the genre that are better. (I know it’s from the SNES era, but that doesn’t have anything to do with how I’m shaping my opinion.)

Without spoilers, does it pick up at all? Really thinking of putting it down for the moment. Lately I’ve noticed that I only want to play games that I’m genuinely interested in from start to finish.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9006 Posts

@speeny said:

So far, the game just feels like a typical “good” JRPG to me. I don’t find it particularly great, but I don’t think it’s bad either. I guess you could say I’m bored with it to be totally honest. but I personally feel as if I’ve played games in the genre that are better.

Two of the biggest features of the game is its consistent pacing (it's not a huge RPG it just makes enough an effort so each area and character has value)_ consistent in going from scene to scene, with just enough chances at exploration to not be overly-scripted.

Another one is the timed battle system, which many have done similar in the past decade so that aspect is less a highlight anymore. So I understand feeling you've played better, personally it's one of my favorite RPGs and like you played it way past its release. However I also played it in a time the combat was still very transparent in a lot of other RPG games (2009 was my introduction to Chrono Trigger if I recall)

Without spoilers, does it pick up at all?

Simple answer; is yes and no. It has more stakes, consequences, and player choices. But mechanically is what you've already been shown.

Long answer; A scene that usually resonates with players is the court scene in which your actions are either spoken in favor or in disgust. You are way past that scene at this point.

The game does throw a few twists, an enemy (has the choice) to be your ally/ or you can kill that person, a character can fall and never be revived. And a few nice boss battles and drastically different locals to explore.

Other than that nothing at its core is really going to change, enemies high in large can still be avoided, you can position your squad to a tactical advantage. All the stuff Chrono Trigger offers has already been given, it's nice it give everything early. However at the cost of 'nothing else'. And if you are not enjoying yourself at least you gave it a chance.

A good overall early impressions anywho Spenny. Appreciate you giving this classic a go with fresh eyes, and keeping your interest in RPGs in mind for context.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 1384 Posts

I remember playing this game back in 2009. Heard many positive things about this game, but in my experience, it was the same as you, a "good" game, nothing spectacular or groundbreaking. There were periods in the game where I got a little bored. Once I finished the game I never played it again.

Sold it two years ago for profit.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 9

#4 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2343 Posts

@omegamaster said:

I remember playing this game back in 2009. Heard many positive things about this game, but in my experience, it was the same as you, a "good" game, nothing spectacular or groundbreaking. There were periods in the game where I got a little bored. Once I finished the game I never played it again.

Sold it two years ago for profit.

Yeah, it's a shame for me because I spent around $97 for it brand new on Amazon. (Spoiled myself at Christmas.) I can still return the game for a refund but I think I'm going to hold onto it. Will probably revisit the game later down the line.

Speaking of revisiting games, I'm going to try and give Ni no Kuni another go for the third time now. (Haven't played it since it was released.) For some reason, I could just never appreciate that game. I want to though. :(

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 1384 Posts

@speeny: Yikes. That's expensive. I mean there is no harm in refunding it now since you aren't getting into the game.

Speaking of Ni No Kuni I loved that game. If you like Pokemon, JRPG, anime and Studio Ghibli, you'll like Ni No Kuni. It's one of those games where I completed it and never touched it again.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 3069 Posts

@speeny: the game’s not “clicking” with you I would say. Only focus on games you really like from now on. If we all liked the same game, we would all be the same.

Like....there was a time when everyone liked OOT, but I was in the minority and played G007. It just depends.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5400 Posts

I couldn't get into it either.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 21695 Posts

Chrono Trigger is the Half-Life 2 of JRPGs: it's excellent, but fans have overrated it to hell and back for so many years that people who jump in late can end up disappointed.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5811 Posts

I came in here with the expectation of you saying the game was amazing and quite possible the best game you have ever played.. I am pleasantly surprised to see you used your own judgement. Where as I do like the game I feel it is just as you described it, simply good. I prefer a few other RPG's on the SNES more than I like it with my favorite 2 both being Breath of Fire (1,2). For reference, I got Chrono Trigger near launch.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 118 Posts

The two RPGs I consistently replay every few years are Final Fantasy 6 and Shining Force II. I haven't really played through Chrono Trigger since my first playthrough over 20 years ago.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RSM-HQ

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Chrono Trigger is the Half-Life 2 of JRPGs: it's excellent, but fans have overrated it to hell and back for so many years that people who jump in late can end up disappointed.

All opinions I guess however Half Life 2 seemed to have been held more in praise for its use of physics. A lot of valid criticisms can be found, namely in level design and how stupid the A.I. reacts. None I would say Chrono Trigger really suffers from.

If we used a retro FPS for it's overall excellence it's probably D00M. Case of argument for that game is it doesn't have modern conventions like target aiming and a jump button. Both of which cannot realistically be used against a game almost three decades old.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I'd say those things are to Dooms advantage tbh. It's how the game is built around those limitations that makes it feel like very raw, straightforward, and easy to jump into fps without feeling bare bones like Wolfenstein. It's the Super Mario of FPS games.

The thing with Half Life 2 imo is it just doesnt hold up near as well as its predecessor. Feels much more gimmicky, lacks the impressive A.I., not as well paced, and just overall not as tightly designed. Still very good though imo.

Sorry to derail the topic.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

@speeny: I think Chrono Triggers strength is in being an all around solid game, but I too felt a bit underwhelmed when I played it. This was a good while back over 10 years ago for sure, but I'm not interested in replaying it. I still enjoyed it more than the other big hyped SNES rpg (FF6) though I know. I think with Chrono Trigger the characters were fun but not very fleshed out as much as I'd like, where with FF6 the characters were fleshed out and generally more developed but I never cared about them or found them interesting.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RSM-HQ

@doomnukem3d said:

@RSM-HQ: I'd say those things are to Dooms advantage tbh. It's how the game is built around those limitations that makes it feel like very raw, straightforward, and easy to jump into fps without feeling bare bones like Wolfenstein. It's the Super Mario of FPS games.

I played the D00M series in the 2000's and fully agree to an extent, yet I see those limitations why some would dismiss the older games because of mechanical conventions of its time, and what they take for granted now.

Super Mario Bros doesn't have these issues because is still highly the same from a 2D space just with added power-ups. If someone players Super Mario Bros 3 or a level in Switches Mario Maker 2 it's very similar to each other.

Meanwhile the latest D00M has more in common with Quake III Arena than the older D00M games, from a mechanical sense.

I think the classic D00Ms are great games, however they're more closer to puzzles games for me over raw twitch shooters which D00M(IV) is closer emulating.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 3069 Posts

@RSM-HQ: oh by puzzles do you mean finding the 3 colored keys??? Hmm interesting theory, I never thought of it that way.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RSM-HQ

@outworld222 said:

@RSM-HQ: oh by puzzles do you mean finding the 3 colored keys??? Hmm interesting theory, I never thought of it that way.

You phrase it in such an interesting way.

Not my view, the puzzle is the map and understanding it_

figuring out what works what is very rewarding. And I assume one of the top reasons D00M is held still in high regard.

Sure you collect keys, but you also trigger platforms, teleport to other areas, etc. It's more methodically complex than just blue door/ blue key.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29472 Posts

Well no game is going to appeal to everyone on the same level and that’s fine. Personally I absolutely loved it. Not only is it my all time favourite RPG but it’s quite possibly my all time favourite game period. I got it for the SNES at launch and played through it countless times there. Also picked up other versions and played through it a number of times that way. I loved the combat, characters, story, and the whole time travel mechanics.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RSM-HQ

@Archangel3371 said:

I loved the combat, characters, story, and the whole time travel mechanics.

The soundtrack is also pretty excellent_

Loading Video...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29472 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Oh yeah, definitely. I forgot to include that.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 118 Posts

CT influenced many games. Maybe it doesn't seem special now because you've played many of those games that wouldn't exist without it.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 17 Posts

I just saw it available as a mobile game on the app store for $20, I am thinking of downloading it, has anyone else tried it on their phones?

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 199 Posts

I didn't know Square made Chrono Trigger, but I do now, thanks to the youtube clip provided by @RSM-HQ. I haven't played many RPGs but considering they made all those excellent Final Fantasy games it may be safe to say they made the best RPGs back in the 90s.