jubejubekitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By jubejubekitty
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

So here we are in the year 2020. A new decade full of hope joy and endless possibilities. At least that's what I'd like to think going into the new year given my current status (which is not appropriate here)

The end of 2019 for me was a year of change with respects to gaming. Although it took me more than 20 years, I finally played a pokemon game for the first time...the first one...Red! lol I didn't understand it then, but over the years I still respected pokemon as a very successful gaming franchise. Card collecting and playing (table top to be specific) was one of those things I didn't understand and had no interest in, but I respected those who enjoyed it. I think with the recent release of Pokemon Sword and Shield for the Switch, that's what got me interested....that and one of my friends always playing Pokemon GO....(and he wasn't a pokemon fan either) Some may think where have you been all this time? But lets be realistic here. Some people need more time to warm up to a game to discover it for themselves. Also not every single person will appreciate a game or a franchise the way another person does. Just yesterday I played Uncharted for the very first time...a game I had known about for years. I had the original PS3 versions, never played them sold them, only to get the PS4 trilogy. It sat unplayed for nearly 2 years until yesterday. Why do you ask?

Well lately I've been adding all my recent friends to my PSN account and Xbox account. Sometimes we communicate through the chat app on the device as it was the only thing available to keep in touch with. Most of my friends have higher trophy or achievement levels than me. For some it was a friendly competition thing to see who could get their first platinum trophy or be the first to 100% a game. That being said not all the games I had which had trophy support had been listed on my profile. So I went back through my library and started adding all the games that had trophy support to my PSN. And while doing so I started playing them for a bit. Some games I didn't play for long while others I played for much longer. In some cases I played long enough to actually earn a trophy or two. I had just finished getting 100% on Final Fantasy VII for PS4, and was slowing moving my way through Final Fantasy VIII. I was at level 7 with about 49%. Since I started adding all my old PS3 games as well as some PS4 games to include my entire library...that level has gone up to Level 8 at around 17%. and I'm only about 50% through Final Fantasy VIII remastered in terms of trophies.

It's always exciting when I get an achievement, even if it's a small one. Call me a trophy whore if you want, but I like getting them. Wheather it be on Xbox or Playstation, it doesn't matter. I will say though that I like the Playstation structure a lot more than I do the Xbox one. Some games I just need to play for a little bit to add them to my list. I was going through the Kingdom, Hearts remasters to add them to the list only to discover that some games didn't have trophies....let alone actual gameplay. Some of the so called HD remasters were nothing more than 3 hrs worth of cut scenes instead of the original game itself with the actual gameplay. And as some of us know sometimes games have older versions which also have their own trophy set. Some games have all the versions as the trophy list, while others have individual trophy sets. For example I have both the PS4 and Vita version of Senran Kagura Estival versus. On the PSN that's listed as two separate trophy lists instead of just one. So basically you can play the same game twice and get two sets of trophies instead of just one.

With regards to Kingdom Hearts though, it was a little disappointing to discover that two of the games on the PS4 version of he 1.5, and 2.5 release don't actually have gameplay and are just cutscenes. That would also explain why there are no specific trophies for these games. Of course the PS3 versions of those same games do, which means there is actual gameplay. The games in question are Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days and Kingdom Hearts coded. Of course this just makes it harder to catch up to finally being able to play Kingdom Hearts III. Prior to actually getting a copy of Kingdom Hearts III I bought all the HD collections in the hope it would allow me to appreciate Kingdom Hearts III more. While that's 100% true, I wasn't expecting no gameplay from two of those entries. So now I'm on a hunt for the versions that do have gameplay (and trophies) as well as the original versions..which may be hard to find at this point in history. But it's just a never ending quest to get the whole story and learn about the whole series. I'm sure like pokemon if I start from the beginning and build a foundation and understanding I'll learn to appreciate these works of art more. That being said there are many many games coming out this year that I long to play, but first my new years resolution for games, is to sit down and play these old games and have fun with them first.

I know for a fact right now, that I most likely will not be investing in the next generation of gaming from day 1. This is mostly because they will be very expensive when they get launched and more than likely 100% of the titles that come out I won't have much interest in playing. So I think for now I'll just stay where I am and concentrate on the games I do have and have fun with them. I may not collect every trophy that a game has, Hey I may not even want to. But I will have fun with the games, That much I can guarantee.

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9310 Posts

I actually enjoyed achievements sometimes in games. When I got an XBox 360 for the first time back in late '08, I thought a lot of games had introduced the idea well and made interesting use of it. When WoW added achievements I liked it initially also.

I think KH spent the last decade away for too long. I guess for me the first game is the only one I ever got invested in anyway, but the plot became so convoluted after the first game I think people gradually lost interest. I remember 365/8 Days or w/e wasn't that fun to play anyhow.

Pokemon is great. I think the earlier games were a lot better though. While I still kind of like Sw/Sh, it's pretty clear that the games changed in the transition to 3D models with gen 6, and even before that it felt like something was lost with each improvement in graphical capabilities on a new system. Diamond & Pearl might have been the peak for me since those games had the most content, and that's kind of when I got back into the series after being away from it for many years, and had become an adult. I think the games could be good again if they limited the number of monsters to like 200, and got back to the old-school basics of the earlier gens. But that's unlikely to happen with everyone complaining that they don't cram all existing 1000ish monsters into every release going forward.

I think I'll always be playing video games. I am not really sure how I will be gaming, or what I will play going forward. I will likely try to hold onto my Switch and keep picking up games for it in coming years. I may or may not get other consoles in the future. For all I know maybe I'll get into Stadia or Gamepass and go completely digital one of these days. I think the older I get, the less likely I am to want to sit and try to get into a lot of stuff. Really particular games hold my interest.

I think this could be the last gen where physical video games are a thing. It's bittersweet. I think back to a time when games were released as a complete product and I miss it.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40070 Posts

@jubejubekitty: I move your thread to the correct forum: Games Discussion cause OT (Off-Topic) is a no video game discussion.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 0

#3 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8905 Posts

Hmm, suppose mine would be to buy less games overall. I've bought a lot of games I honestly didn't enjoy just to give them a fair shake, and for 2020 do not intend to do that.

Namely to purchase a PS5 day-one; as well as the collectors edition for Biohazard: RE3. Outside of that, hmm. . . Animal Crossing and Bare Knuckle 4 are the only games guaranteed on my radar. Iceborne is still set to provide free quests for up to september so am not really that starved for new gaming content.

Also plan to drop my Switch subscription because I'm warn out of Splatoon 2, and that was the remaining game I played online.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2258 Posts

Great post. I used to love Pokemon but I kind of gave up on the series after X/Y. No reason in particular I guess I just grew out of it.

Achievements aren't really something I've cared about to be honest. Sometimes I'll 100% a game but it depends what needs to be done and if I'm up for it. :P As for my opinion on Kingdom Hearts...

The Kingdom Hearts series is good but I was disappointed by 3. Definitely not trying to ruin the experience for you though. You may love it. I guess for the best way to put it is that 3 isn't much compared to what 2 did.

In 2020 I'm not sure if I've got many goals that're gaming related. I'm not in any rush to get through my backlog. Looking forward to sinking hours into the new AC game as well as the new Shantae title. I'd be down to finally get around to playing games like Chrono Trigger & FF8/9.

I'm also not in a hurry to go next gen. I'll probably wait a year. Two at max.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Speeny
@Ovirew said:

I think the games could be good again if they limited the number of monsters to like 200, and got back to the old-school basics of the earlier gens. But that's unlikely to happen with everyone complaining that they don't cram all existing 1000ish monsters into every release going forward.

100% agree. It's not that I necessarily want to catch them all. But I feel as if there's just too much monsters to keep track of now. On the other hand, if you're wanting to just build a team up and play the game though, no worries.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45413 Posts

My resolution is to finish the games I buy.

I have a nasty habit of playing a game and when I get bored with it, I go to an older game and/or buy a new one. The thing is if I just took a break, did something fun outside of gaming, I probably wouldn't be bored.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Speeny

@RSM-HQ said:

Hmm, suppose mine would be to buy less games overall. I've bought a lot of games I honestly didn't enjoy just to give them a fair shake, and for 2020 do not intend to do that.

Yeah I think this is what I'll be doing as well. Being more of a critic this time around though it also means I'll own less stuff. :P

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40070 Posts

As for my gaming resolution, I really don't have any of the saying but I'll add a quick what I am all about for 2020:

• Just game only on PC, PS4, & Nintendo Switch but both consoles are primary to play exclusive console games and PC is my domain gaming machine all-around.
  • I buy the games I see fit and if so, it'll be day one purchase.
  • I keep continuing to build my gaming collection on Steam, GoG, ect as part of my gaming resolution as I do every year.

I don't have any plans to buy next-gen consoles and not to say this but, I just don't care for Sony brand anymore which is disappointing, because I been with Sony since PSX era. But I still love Nintendo.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#9 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8905 Posts

@speeny said:

Yeah I think this is what I'll be doing as well. Being more of a critic this time around though it also means I'll own less stuff. :P

Have a good storage for gaming software that makes physical cases very easy to deal with. It's usually actual devices and accessories that are too cumbersome for my apartment.

On that note if the game wasn't to my liking usually uninstall, delete save, and/or/ return the copy. So space isn't a problem for games that are a waste of space. And all P.C. stuff is usually contained on a HDD thanks to distribution platforms such as GoG. Also wish a lot of these smaller games had physical copies on Switch and PS4. They would look nice in my collection.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts

Well I don't have any plans to buy any new systems in the near future ,if anything it'll probably be somewhere in the middle or late cycle of it's support.if they have some stuff to offer ofcourse..what's available on the switch looks sizable so it's still a option.

not really looking to clear my backlog by any means but I am looking to play the games I haven't gotten too bexperience yet since buying them.and boy could I come up with challenges for some of them

I might expand the library i've got for GOG Galaxy ,lots of neat retro titles are on that distributive platform...

I think I've already established a good one for my 3ds over the years

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts

Well I don't have any plans to buy any new systems in the near future ,if anything it'll probably be somewhere in the middle or late cycle of it's support.if they have some stuff to offer ofcourse..what's available on the switch looks sizable so it's still a option.

not really looking to clear my backlog by any means but I am looking to play the games I haven't gotten too bexperience yet since buying them.and boy could I come up with challenges for some of them

I might expand the library i've got for GOG Galaxy ,lots of neat retro titles are on that distributive platform...

I think I've already established a good one for my 3ds over the years

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 300 Posts

Mine is to complete my retro / handheld / DLC gen (PS3/Wii U/Xbox 360) collections, discounting the switch for the handheld collections.