My 5 Favorite Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

I've been gaming since I was a toddler running through the colorful levels of Super Mario World. But many games have come and gone in my 21 years of living, and I'm going to tell you which ones made the biggest impact on me. These are my 5 all-time favorite video games...ever. Here we go.

5) Mega Man X - This was the game that introduced me to a whole new level of gaming. Before, it was simply "get the high score" on the arcade machines, as far as I knew. With Mega Man X, I had a ton of fun blasting through the bad guys, defeating the 8 maverick bosses, and powering up with every single upgrade I could find. X and Zero are both awesome characters as well. And the backstory of robotic warfare coupled with the need to become stronger was more than I expected as a kid. This game makes you feel powerful in a fun, engaging way.

4) Metroid Prime - This was the game that got me into the first-person shooter genre. Funny, seeing as how Metroid never started as one to begin with. A sci-fi action platformer series that redefined both the platform and 2D adventure game, and now it made the jump to 3D in a whole new perspective? And it worked! Searching through Talon IV is a visual marvel and mystery all in one. The action is tense and exciting without sacrificing challenge. The first-person platforming was kept simple, but provided for interesting exploration challenges. The story is kept to a minimum, but could be fleshed out by discovering all that the world had to offer, and that made things even more interesting. I've yet to see another FPS game like it, and that's a real shame.

3) Shadow of the Colossus - How the hell can a game that only features boss fights possibly be any good? Simple: make the bosses as epic as possible while giving them emotional weight. That's exactly what this game does. With a powerful yet subtle story about a man desperate to save a woman he loves, this tale absorbed me with its beautifully bleak landscape, incredibly realistic controls, and 16 astounding bosses to fight. It made you feel significant to take down a beast that would barely register you as dandruff, only to be saddened by the fact that such a beast never even bothered to hurt you in the first place. It takes a strong game to make me feel guilty, and Shadow of the Colossus did just that.

2) Xenogears - I love JRPGs, but many suffered from one problem: stale combat. Xenogears changed things up with two things: a combo system and gear (mech) battles. Both of these mechanics gave this genre a much needed twist, and it made every enemy encounter that much more impressive and entertaining. Add to it a sweeping story that combines religion, philosophy, and existentialism, combined with an amazing cast of well-developed characters, and you get one hell of an entertaining and gripping roller coaster ride.

1) The Last of Us - This game made me cry, and very few games managed to do that to me. It was hard to help Joel and Ellie along on their journey with all the hardships they faced along the way. Combined with brutally realistic combat and witnessing humanity at its darkest and most primal state left me not engaged by "fun" but rather a gripping tale. I created every impact of combat. I made common conversations happen within a grim situation. I felt what Joel and Ellie felt as they both grew, and most of all, it reaffirmed some of my beliefs in life and humanity, even amidst all the depression and hopelessness. This game marries story and gameplay perfectly, in my opinion, and it's the main reason why I love this game more than any other.

#2 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Strong list. Can't wait try the mega man and metriod games when I get my nes later this month.

#3 Posted by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

@behardy24: They're all great games. Mega Man is pretty difficult though, as is Metroid, though not for the same reasons of course lol. I highly recommend Mega Man 2 for the NES, as that one's the best IMO

#4 Posted by Ariabed (2121 posts) -

Good list dude. Shadow of Collosus one of my all time favourites also it's a beautiful and unique game still to this day.

#5 Edited by Mesomorphin (903 posts) -

Inb4 Some depressant tells you to blog about it.

OT: Cant wait to get Last Of Us, still havent played it yet so I'am waiting it out until the end of July for the PS4 version.

#6 Posted by Seabas989 (13172 posts) -

Metroid Prime is too low on your list.

#7 Posted by Mesomorphin (903 posts) -

My top five would look something like this

5.Portal 2

4.Catherine

3.Bioshock Infinite

2.Uncharted 2

1.Halo 3

#8 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (1479 posts) -

5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

4. Mega Man Zero

3. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

2. Metroid Fusion

1. Metroid Zero Mission

#9 Posted by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

@Seabas989: I love Metroid Prime and all, but it didn't impact me the way my top 3 did.

#11 Edited by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

@mesomorphin: I never played Catherine, but I watched a whole let's play of it when it first came out and I was surprisingly impressed by everything that game had to offer. I will buy it one day.

#12 Edited by Ariabed (2121 posts) -

@mesomorphin: "Bioshock Infinite"

Did you play the first two games?

#13 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (1479 posts) -

@Chatch09: Yes. I have to admit though, I found Harmony of Dissonance to be disappointing compared to Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow. The leveling system with monsters giving less and less exp as you level up was a drag. I would face monsters who take half of my health and take a lot of hits to die and would only receive 1 exp. I was furious, lol. The multiple castles was a good idea but was repetitive when you had to backtrack and run through the entire castles to find items and passage ways.

Have you tried the DS games yet? I am playing Dawn of Sorrow right now and can't wait to play Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. DOS is really good.

#14 Posted by Mesomorphin (903 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

@mesomorphin: I never played Catherine, but I watched a whole let's play of it when it first came out and I was surprisingly impressed by everything that game had to offer. I will buy it one day.

The game is just absolutely amazing, there is quite literally nothing else like it on the market, which makes me very sad. Incredible story with a great twist, intense story situations and a universe that literally sucks you in!

@ariabed said:

@mesomorphin: "Bioshock Infinite"

Did you play the first two games?

I did! the first two where great, I liked the second one a bit more though, it had a better story and the gameplay was alot more fleshed out IMO

#15 Edited by thehig1 (6231 posts) -

My top 5 changes a but as it's hard to narrow down si many great games.

1. Final fantasy Vii

2. Mass effect 2

3. Skyrim

4. Super castlevania 4

5. Penumbra black plague

#16 Edited by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

@ariabed: I've played all 3 games too, and I believe BioShock Infinite to be more tightly built than the first BioShock. It had a story that stayed strong throughout, excellent gameplay, and amazing characters. As much as like the first game, the last third of the game was slow, uninteresting, and merely serving to get the story finished as quickly as possible. BioShock 2...was soulless to me, and didn't feel at all like a great game.

#17 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (14992 posts) -

Hmmm... what would be my top 5? Hard to narrow down. Probably something like this:

1. Half-Life 2 (inc. Eps)

2. Bioshock

3. Mass Effect series

4. Bioshock Infinite

5. Portal 2

Runners up: Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 2

#18 Posted by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: I've been playing Half-Life 2 recently, and I'm very confused as to why people consider it a great game still. I hate the vehicle controls, the guns have no weight, the enemy AI is almost useless, and it's very easy to lose your immersion since you maintain complete control. Not to mention Gordon Freeman is merely a puppet. He has zero personality (no, backstory doesn't count as personality). Can someone enlighten me?

#19 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@mastermetal777: not a bad list, i've got all of those games in my backlog to play

#20 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (14992 posts) -

@mastermetal777 said:

@hrt_rulz01: I've been playing Half-Life 2 recently, and I'm very confused as to why people consider it a great game still. I hate the vehicle controls, the guns have no weight, the enemy AI is almost useless, and it's very easy to lose your immersion since you maintain complete control. Not to mention Gordon Freeman is merely a puppet. He has zero personality (no, backstory doesn't count as personality). Can someone enlighten me?

Well that's your opinion I guess... Not everyone is going to love it.

But to me, HL2 is gaming perfection. It has a great story, interesting characters (yes Gordon doesn't talk, but I think that's part of the game's charm), first class physics, worlds that are interesting to explore and be in (Ravenholm is still my favourite level in a game - it's perfection), and gameplay that yes, isn't ground breaking, but it just fits the game perfectly. But it's more than all these things... it's the way the game mixes these elements and balances everything to creates a level of immersion that for me, hasn't been surpassed. It just has it all.

Any other HL fans out there got anything else to add?

#21 Posted by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: I never said I didn't like the game though. The story and other characters are interesting, it has wonderful atmosphere and pacing, and the level design is masterclass (Valve knows how to make a damn fine level). The gameplay just feels average - and also the puzzles feel like a gimmick to show of the physics engine. The story might be interesting, but I don't feel like there's any real emotional attachment. I don't hate it - I think is a good game - but it baffles me that it's regarded so highly when it has so many glaring flaws

#22 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (14992 posts) -

@mastermetal777 said:

@hrt_rulz01: I never said I didn't like the game though. The story and other characters are interesting, it has wonderful atmosphere and pacing, and the level design is masterclass (Valve knows how to make a damn fine level). The gameplay just feels average - and also the puzzles feel like a gimmick to show of the physics engine. The story might be interesting, but I don't feel like there's any real emotional attachment. I don't hate it - I think is a good game - but it baffles me that it's regarded so highly when it has so many glaring flaws

I think a lot of the highly regarded games have flaws... No game is absolutely perfect. But to me HL2 is the game that comes closest.